• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Lethal injection is not Biblical.

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Usethepen, Mar 28, 2013.

1. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+13,002
    Christian
    Married
    Actually, the loudest protests came from those who were required to administer the penalties.

Amazing, isn't it? A lot of the "executioners" turned out to be decent human beings, willing. It's pretty easy for people whose job description doesn't include pulling the switch to demand more blood.

2. QuiltAngel

QuiltAngel Veteran

+281
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    The original poster is saying here that it stems from republicans, yet there is no proof that it came from one party or the other. The move for lethal injection is nonpartisan as far as I can tell.

3. SolomonVII

SolomonVII Well-Known Member

+4,707
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    We all receive the death penalty.
    Deaths sting however is nowhere to be found, because of Easter.

4. QuiltAngel

QuiltAngel Veteran

+281
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    YES!! Thanks be to God.

5. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    Now that we have gone this far down the road,
    I must ask,

Would you perform an execution yourself ?

Is it wrong to ask someone else to do such a job you would not do yourself?

6. I Eat Pie

I Eat Pie Well-Known Member

+85
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    The death penalty and stricter jailing made the crime rate in Los Angeles city drop every year for decades.

Keep the death penalty. The city is a lot better off with the death penalty. Firing squad, lethal injection, electric chair, idc.

7. gnomon

gnomon Active Member

+33
    Atheist
    Single
    Passover is a holiday commemorating God killing the first born children of Egypt. How is lethal injection not Biblical except that the technology did not exist in Biblical times. I mean, if God is going to personally kill every first born child of Egypt to state that lethal injection is not Biblical can only be taken from a technological viewpoint. Well, that and a mass exodus with zero evidence to it's existence outside the Bible but let's not ignore what's written in the Bible.

I oppose State sanctioned death penalties but I don't require some ancient texts for that.

8. Redac

Redac Regular Member

+919
    Catholic
    Single
    Citation needed.

9. I Eat Pie

+85
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Just wikipedia it. Gangs have been getting bigger, but crime has been decreasing, becauase now that we have harsher penalties, people dkn't want to get in trouble anymore. I'd give the links but I'm on the phone now, not on the computer.

10. RDKirk

+13,002
    Christian
    Married
    So I discover in Wikipedia that California executed 13 people between 1978 and 2006...and not a single person since 2006.

So what "the death penalty and stricter jailing made the crime rate in Los Angeles city drop every year for decades" are you talking about?

Serious crime has been dropping in most metropolitan areas over the last couple of decades--there are more things happening besides changes in penalties.

11. Hawisher

Hawisher Active Member

+20
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Others
    Things you just did wrong: ignored any confounding variables, implied correlation proves causation, and got your basic facts wrong.

Never mind that statistically, higher enforcement is much more beneficial to crime rates than stiffer penalties.

12. I Eat Pie

+85
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Did you come up with that all by yourself?

13. Hawisher

Hawisher Active Member

+20
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Others
    Are you going to actually respond to the points I raised? Namely, that the usage of the death penalty is declining, that correlation does not equate with causation, and that there could be (even if harsher penalties were on the rise) any number of other reasons for the decline in crime?

14. freezerman2000

freezerman2000 Living and dying in 3/4 time

+1,112
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Actually,the "eye for eye,tooth for tooth" was brought on the scene so that punishments would not go over board.
    Remember that Christ was flogged 39 times? If the soldier flogging him hit 40 times,HE would receive the same..under Roman law.39 was the official cut off point.
    By the axiom's reasoning,no more than the original offence could be meted out to the convicted.

Why do you think that the average time between sentencing and being put to death is around 10 years..at the least? TIME ON DEATH ROW | Death Penalty Information Center

15. RDKirk

+13,002
    Christian
    Married
    Yes! It served to prevent unending blood feuds. What it really meant was, "If he takes your eye you can no more than his eye."

That did not originate, btw, in the OT. It also appears in the Law of Hammurabi.

The major difference of the Mosaic Law was the concept of equal justice under the law across economic and social groups. Hammurabi specified that "eye for eye, tooth for tooth" only applied for crimes when the victim and perpetrator were of the same socio-economic group.

16. I Eat Pie

+85
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Well what do you mean by higher enforcement? More cops? Because I mentioned that.

17. Hawisher

Hawisher Active Member

+20
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Others
    More cops is one way to achieve an increase in the percentage of committed crimes that result in punishment, yes.

18. I Eat Pie

+85
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Well I did mention that part. If we can have more cops, or drones, then we can help stop these mass murders, and then won't need the dearh penalty. But I still think we ahould keep it, in case something happens. Putting someone in prison for the rest of their life is pointless...

19. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+9,156
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    It has the same point and effect that executing them does. They are removed from society and no longer a threat to it.

20. Hawisher

Hawisher Active Member

+20
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Others
    From a religious point of view, time they spend in prison is time in which they could be converted to Christianity. From an economic standpoint, executions cost a lot of money.