Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think yours is too simplistic a read of the Bible strategy.

The king recognizes the legitimacy of governments to keep order rationally until the return of said King Jesus.

As long as there exists a legitimate government, we are to deter justice to that legitimate government and not take justice into our own hands.

I presume you meant "we are not to deter justice."

But where do you get that "legitimate government" part? I don't see that qualification given in scripture, and "justice" is a highly relative concept.

I don't see any authority in scripture for the Church ever to take secular justice in her own hands, rather--especially in 1 Corinthians 5--particularly the opposite.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The death penalty is the least of our problems with the criminal justice system. The biggest problem is unaffordable cost of arresting, prosecuting, and housing prisoners. Our solution so far is to:

Release prisoners before their sentences are fulfilled.

Sentence them to probation instead of jail.

Simply not arrest them at all (store them on the streets).

Of course this cannot go on indefinitely.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The death penalty is the least of our problems with the criminal justice system. The biggest problem is unaffordable cost of arresting, prosecuting, and housing prisoners. Our solution so far is to:

Release prisoners before their sentences are fulfilled.

Sentence them to probation instead of jail.

Simply not arrest them at all (store them on the streets).

Of course this cannot go on indefinitely.

You missed an important one.

Eliminate the laws so there is nothing to commit.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With more people in prison than the rest of the Western world, our problem is we don't imprison enough people?

Land of the free alright.

There has to be something else wrong in American society besides having too few people in prison.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I presume you meant "we are not to deter justice."
No I meant "defer justice to". Sorry. It is not for us to kill the murderer of our family. We defer that to a legitimate government, who promises us justice in exchange for our deference to governments right to decide what justice means.

But where do you get that "legitimate government" part? I don't see that qualification given in scripture, and "justice" is a highly relative concept.
The Bible is in no way an anarchic book. It recognizes the necessity and legitimacy of government virtually from the first page.
Here is but one specific verse:

1 Peter 2:13-17 said:
Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, 14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.

Justice is not relative. Our understanding of it however is limited, as with all things. Be that as it may, attempting to create a just world is our mandate.

I don't see any authority in scripture for the Church ever to take secular justice in her own hands, rather--especially in 1 Corinthians 5--particularly the opposite.
It was my mistake. I meant to say "defer to" and typed "deter". That was confusing.
I may have also misunderstood you in regards to the king. I thought you were referring to Christ the king, and not legitimate government.

As far as my reference to what is legitimate government or not, for me, the overriding value is one of freedom. A government that oppresses, like Pharaoh, is a legitimate target for increasing degrees of opposition.

The children of Israel had not right to rise up against Pharaoh, except that freedom is our legacy.

Upvote 0
C

conamer

Unless there is just a mountain of evidence or clear video evidence, the death penalty should not be on the table. Even then, it should be kept for those whose crimes are the most vile and heinous.
Eh, so if there isn't "a mountain of evidence", rotting in jail for 20 years is ok as long as they aren't put to death(not thay they would be put to death on death row within 20 years). It use to be that people convicted of capital offenses whould be wacked within days of weeks of their conviction, now it takes decadesif it happens at all.

Upvote 0

Hawisher

Jan 3, 2013
✟1,075.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Eh, so if there isn't "a mountain of evidence", rotting in jail for 20 years is ok as long as they aren't put to death(not thay they would be put to death on death row within 20 years). It use to be that people convicted of capital offenses whould be wacked within days of weeks of their conviction, now it takes decadesif it happens at all.

You say that like it's a good thing. Have you not heard of the Innocence Project?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Be that as it may, attempting to create a just world is our mandate.
If it is a mandate, then there must be some clearly stated command to that effect with two or three confirming witnesses. Right?

The Roman empire was never Godly and was seldom even just. In addition, as Paul wrote about observing the authority of kings, he was looking as well to the Old Testament and the faithful service of Daniel and Mordecai to two of the most ruthless kings in history.

I see two mandates to the Body of Christ: Preach the gospel to the world and take care of one another.

I do not see a "fix the Roman empire" mandate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We all die for our sins. God redeems those of us who have faith in Christ. It is all about justice, which is why we need the death penalty for cases that merit it. When we were attacked on 9/11, did anyone really think we'd bring Bin Laden back and put him in the slammer?

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If it is a mandate, then there must be some clearly stated command to that effect with two or three confirming witnesses. Right?

The Roman empire was never Godly and was seldom even just. In addition, as Paul wrote about observing the authority of kings, he was looking as well to the Old Testament and the faithful service of Daniel and Mordecai to two of the most ruthless kings in history.

I see two mandates to the Body of Christ: Preach the gospel to the world and take care of one another.

I do not see a "fix the Roman empire" mandate.

I am not sure what your position is then.
You think it our position to any government should be basic indifference and non-involvement, because government is basically a non-Christian and imperfect enterprise?

Upvote 0