Lesbian Bishop in LA

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Though this is not official , if she does eventually become conscreted will this be the straw that broke the camel's back? What do you think this will mean for the futue of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion.?

Los Angeles Episcopalians elect lesbian bishop - CNN.com

Last edited:

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I admit that I didn't read the article in its entirety (skimmed it), but I did catch that she was elected by Los Angeles and is "now based in Baltimore at the Diocese of Maryland".

I find that odd, wouldn't LA elect a Bishop from its own area?

I hope that they weren't trying simply to make a statement with this election, and that they have selected her because they view her as being the most qualified individual available.

Assuming that she has been elected for the right reasons, I applaud the decision.

I would say that since TEC wasn't expelled for Bishop Robinson, there's not reason to assume that they will take further action against the Church for this new Bishop if it becomes official.

Upvote 0

Finella

Veteran
Feb 27, 2004
PA
✟17,732.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The search for a Bishop is usually a national one. If you look at all the other Bishops in TEC, you will see that they often come from different regions than where they were elected to lead. This is not at all unusual.

I have no idea about what this will mean for the future of TEC. Personally I am elated, yet apprehensive. I think TEC has made its stance on the matter of homosexual clergy clear, and so this was going to happen sooner or later. For myself, however, I am tired of all the bickering and strife. I just want people to get on with serving God and each other.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Though this is not official , if she does eventually become conscreted will this be the straw that broke the camel's back? What do you think this will mean for the futue of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion.?
Well, (assuming it goes ahead) it makes absolutely clear where TEC stands with regard to a covenant process. How that might pan out will depend on whether the rest of the communion takes on the idea of convenant or not.

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, (assuming it goes ahead) it makes absolutely clear where TEC stands with regard to a covenant process. How that might pan out will depend on whether the rest of the communion takes on the idea of convenant or not.

I would expect that after this, the Global South will unanimously elect to not be in Communion with TEC. What the Church of England does is really up for debate.

Poor Rowan Williams. He's getting quite a battering lately, firstly from the Pope and now from TEC going against him. He's almost at the point of being forced to take a stance on this issue.

Upvote 0

Stan53

Dec 6, 2005
Victoria
✟16,411.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
He's almost at the point of being forced to take a stance on this issue.
That will make interesting reading when he does. It is a serious matter to call something good that God has declared so many times sin. (oops, did I use that word?)
I will be interested to see how that effects us here in the land down under. So far it has past under the radar due to local financial issues, although I haven't read the latest Melbourne Anglican as yet.
That some one could be elated over this latest decision I find tragic. I thought that an agreement had been reached that no more would be ordained until a decision has been reached. This, in my not so humble opinion, causes only more division within the communion. (oops, there I go again, wrong word and not quite so politically correct).

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I would expect that after this, the Global South will unanimously elect to not be in Communion with TEC.
That's pretty much the case in practice already.

Poor Rowan Williams. He's getting quite a battering lately, firstly from the Pope and now from TEC going against him. He's almost at the point of being forced to take a stance on this issue.
He'll keep pushing for a Convenant. He won't take a personal stance on the issue as such whatever happens, because its always been his one guiding principle that its not the role of +Cantuar to do so.

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

That will make interesting reading when he does. It is a serious matter to call something good that God has declared so many times sin. (oops, did I use that word?)

In defense of my liberal Episcopal friends:

Just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean God said it, did it, or approved of it.

That some one could be elated over this latest decision I find tragic. I thought that an agreement had been reached that no more would be ordained until a decision has been reached. This, in my not so humble opinion, causes only more division within the communion. (oops, there I go again, wrong word and not quite so politically correct).

The temporary ban came up for renewal this year, and was not signed.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

But hasn't TEC and Bp. Schori already made perfectly clear that no one is going to tell them what to do and that the church is irrevocably committed to treating gays as equal in all respects?

IOW, I think this might confirm something, but the final straw was played some time back. By that I don't mean that the Anglican Communion will ever expel TEC, just that no one could seriously have thought that its wishes in this regard were going to be complied with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would expect that after this, the Global South will unanimously elect to not be in Communion with TEC.

That could be. But isn't it the case that 2/3 of the Anglican Communion is not in communion with TEC already? I mean, how may more provinces which oppose this are yet to take that step? And what difference does it make anyway so long as TEC is the one and only "official" Anglican province in the USA?

Surely not. I can't see Abp. Williams ever taking a stand that has any consequences for anyone.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheRiver

Contributor
Jun 3, 2007
Kokomo, Indiana USA
✟18,586.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I will be interested to see how that effects us here in the land down under. So far it has past under the radar due to local financial issues, although I haven't read the latest Melbourne Anglican as yet.

I agree with Stan.

The sad fact is that there are two Anglican Communions now, in all but name. Perhaps TEC's latest action...while hardly a surprise...will lead to the naming, and formal acknowledgement, of that reality.

Michael

Reactions: Anglian
Upvote 0

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I heard that the new bishop eats shellfish too! Gasp!

This, in my not so humble opinion, causes only more division within the communion. (oops, there I go again, wrong word and not quite so politically correct).

I don't care what the communion thinks. When the choice is doing the right thing or appeasing the communion I'll chose doing the right thing.

All this in my not-so-humble opinion, naturally. :preach: :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Episcopal Church Tensions Stirred - WSJ.com

Great article on this. Talks about the implications for the Communion, etc. Also, the elections are expected to be approved and if they are the Bishops will be confirmed in May 2010.

PM me if you want the text of the article, I know some are wary of links outside the forum.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
But hasn't TEC and Bp. Schori already made perfectly clear that no one is going to tell them what to do and that the church is irrevocably committed to treating gays as equal in all respects?

IOW, I think this might confirm something, but the final straw was played some time back. By that I don't mean that the Anglican Communion will ever expel TEC, just that no one could seriously have thought that its wishes in this regard were going to be complied with.
I didn't hold out much hope that TEC would never do this, but one did hope they would hold off from doing it long enough for the rest of the Communion to collect its thoughts.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't care what the communion thinks. When the choice is doing the right thing or appeasing the communion I'll chose doing the right thing.
The Communion only exists through bonds of affection. When one no longer cares what anyone else in such a group thinks then one might reasonably say that one has put oneself outside that group.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
What would happen if the Anglican Communion did decide to excommunicate the Episcopal Church? Who would make that decision, Arch Bishop Rowan? A vote of all the Communions?

T
There is no mechanism for doing it. Technically +Rowan could because the Communion is defined by being in communion with him, but his understanding of the role is not to make that sort of decision since he is only first among equal.

He'll press for a Covenant whereby those parts of the communion that want to make stronger committments to each other can sign up, and those who do not won't.

Upvote 0