Leaked Documents showing government tracking journalists.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well this is a shocker... if only someone would have at least tried to explain Trump is using a whole host of unconstitutional powers from previous administrations, to enforce his administration, this could have been avoided, right?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Obama administration did much the same thing to journalists they didn't like as well. Not sure if they kept a data base but certainty weren't shy in targeting both leakers and journalists who were against them. You can bet whoever the next president will be, democrat or republican they will continue the trend and try to expand what they are capable of doing in targeting journalists. It's up to the government to limit that power, which likely isn't going to happen.

Though I will ask, has the Trump administration seized documents from journalists homes or is it just keeping an eye out. Trump has obviously made his feelings known through speech but has he done anything beyond monitoring journalists? Sincere question.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well this is a shocker... if only someone would have at least tried to explain Trump is using a whole host of unconstitutional powers from previous administrations, to enforce his administration, this could have been avoided, right?

I think the time for trying to foist blame on previous administrations has passed.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Some had alerts placed on their passports, keeping at least three photojournalists and an attorney from entering Mexico to work.

Seems like a pretty clear First Amendment violation.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the time for trying to foist blame on previous administrations has passed.

It has been years I have been called a fool for pointing out these legislations. Now they are here, and Trump has the legal authority passed by congress. Now you chose to be concerned? Why let them pass unabated in the first place if you're so concerned? Because your not, and you don't really care about anything but Trump.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It has been years I have been called a fool for pointing out these legislations. Now they are here, and Trump has the legal authority passed by congress. Now you chose to be concerned? Why let them pass unabated in the first place if you're so concerned? Because your not, and you don't really care about anything but Trump.

I have been objecting to the ever expanding power of the executive branch from when I first became politically aware just prior to the first term of Bush the younger.

That said I reiterate, why is it the responsibility of others to inform the president on this issue? Is it too much to ask that a man seeking to be president familiarize himself with the nature of the job and its proper limits?

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have been objecting to the ever expanding power of the executive branch from when I first became politically aware just prior to the first term of Bush the younger.

That said I reiterate, why is it the responsibility of others to inform the president on this issue? Is it too much to ask that a man seeking to be president familiarize himself with the nature of the job and its proper limits?

Unfortunately 'proper limits' do not exist in a government attempting to subjugate the will of their people. Truth be told the apathetic masse will fight every attempt to rid of these legislations, and bemoan the very actions taken to free them. There are some that see the logic. They understand exactly what is being said, but Trump.

The other side of this, is Trump is currently fighting fire with other fires he did not set. Is he scorching ground? Yes. Are some of his actions incorrect or unconstitutional. Yes. However that authority was not given to him by his administration, and he is attempting to destroy that authority by having it consume itself.

Basically He is using the swamps unconstitutional authorities against them, and they're flipping out. They are supposed to be immune. Only lesser people get removed from office or are held accountable. They passed in legislation both the chains to ensnare and a weapon to liberate in one dual edged sword.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As they may be literally facilitating crime and criminal behavior, and even if they aren't, they may be a reliable source of information on ongoing criminal behavior and threats, it makes sense.

Flagging their passports on the hope that they'll give up their sources is a viable strategy because...?

And as the stated purpose of the caravans was to legally seek asylum, what crimes were they facilitating?

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Flagging their passports on the hope that they'll give up their sources is a viable strategy because...?

Welcome to the reality others have been discussing for nearly a decade. Your a little late, but welcome nonetheless.

upload_2019-3-7_22-32-39.png

WASHINGTON — If Donald J. Trump decides as president to throw a whistle-blower in jail for trying to talk to a reporter, or gets the F.B.I. to spy on a journalist, he will have one man to thank for bequeathing him such expansive power: Barack Obama.

Criticism of Mr. Obama’s stance on press freedom, government transparency and secrecy is hotly disputed by the White House, but many journalism groups say the record is clear. Over the past eight years, the administration has prosecuted nine cases involving whistle-blowers and leakers, compared with only three by all previous administrations combined. It has repeatedly used the Espionage Act, a relic of World War I-era red-baiting, not to prosecute spies but to go after government officials who talked to journalists.

Under Mr. Obama, the Justice Department and the F.B.I. have spied on reporters by monitoring their phone records, labeled one journalist an unindicted co-conspirator in a criminal case for simply doing reporting and issued subpoenas to other reporters to try to force them to reveal their sources and testify in criminal cases.
Opinion | If Donald Trump Targets Journalists, Thank Obama

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to the reality others have been discussing for nearly a decade. Your a little late, but welcome nonetheless.

Still feel comfortable wringing your hands in despair, I see.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately 'proper limits' do not exist in a government attempting to subjugate the will of their people. Truth be told the apathetic masse will fight every attempt to rid of these legislations, and bemoan the very actions taken to free them. There are some that see the logic. They understand exactly what is being said, but Trump.

The other side of this, is Trump is currently fighting fire with other fires he did not set. Is he scorching ground? Yes. Are some of his actions incorrect or unconstitutional. Yes. However that authority was not given to him by his administration, and he is attempting to destroy that authority by having it consume itself.

Basically He is using the swamps unconstitutional authorities against them, and they're flipping out. They are supposed to be immune. Only lesser people get removed from office or are held accountable. They passed in legislation both the chains to ensnare and a weapon to liberate in one dual edged sword.

So Trump...is Batman...

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

And as the stated purpose of the caravans was to legally seek asylum, what crimes were they facilitating?

They illegally crossed the border from Honduras to Mexico, and the implication was that they were willing to cross the border even if we said it was illegal for them to do so.

OF course, they would not explicitly state that they wish to break the law by crossing the border in the form of an official statement, but as illegal border crossings are so common, it was not unreasonable to believe that a caravan which illegally crossed into Mexico would also not attempt to illegally cross an already porous border.

• Agree
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So Trump...is Batman...

No. Trump is still just Trump. The political environment is such, that you cannot move ahead without getting down in the ditches with your adversary. Taking a high road means losing with grace and allowing yourself to be defeated in today's politics. No one cares if Trump is the good guy, those against him just want to win. They won't let him leave gracefully or save face neither. They want to destroy all that he is, his family and his life. So Trump is going to have to fight just as hard.

There is no reasonable argument that can be given nor reason to expect that Trump will ever be given a fair trial, or ruling. He is going to have to sling as much dirt as thrown.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I just want to put it out there that most people judge posts as pro-Trump, and against Trump. Someone like myself is trying to find truth. I do not agree with what Trump is doing concerning this topic, but I do not see how he can go about accomplishing literally anything, if he is not willing to fight back with just as much vehemence, obstruction, and force.

This puts you in an off spot where the person you want to approve of is taking on the actions of those you oppose. And it is hard to rectify, or condone. At the same time it is hard to vilify seeing it is directed at those who created this chaos in the first place. So for me, at this point, Trump's one saving grace in this is he hasn't turned on the people of America. Instead he is trying to gut the establishment.

Upvote 0