Leading (now losing) GOP candidate for Neb. Gov. accused of groping 8 women, 1 a GOP state senator

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Republican voters in Nebraska on Tuesday rejected a candidate for governor accused of sexually assaulting multiple women, nominating University of Nebraska regent Jim Pillen over Charles Herbster, an agribusiness executive supported by former president Donald Trump.

Pillen was endorsed by term-limited Gov. Pete Ricketts (R) and much of the state’s Republican establishment.

Nebraska is a heavily conservative state where Democrats have not held the governor’s office in Lincoln since the 1990s. State Sen. Carol Blood, who easily won the Democratic nomination Tuesday, has won before in a district that Trump carried twice.

“I look at the Republican Party and I don’t recognize it anymore,” Blood said in an interview. “I’m not a sacrificial lamb. Nobody talked me into this. I don’t run for something unless I think I can win.”

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Republican voters in Nebraska on Tuesday rejected a candidate for governor accused of sexually assaulting multiple women, nominating University of Nebraska regent Jim Pillen over Charles Herbster, an agribusiness executive supported by former president Donald Trump.

Pillen was endorsed by term-limited Gov. Pete Ricketts (R) and much of the state’s Republican establishment.

Endorse someone that Trump didn't endorse? That's a firing.

Nebraska Republicans oust party leader during turbulent state convention

Nebraska GOP Chairman Dan Welch opened the state's GOP convention Saturday by saying he hoped the event would "clear the air" in what he admitted was a divided Republican Party.

He ended the day fired.

Welch blamed the turmoil on divisions caused by the hard-fought gubernatorial primary race, which was won by Jim Pillen.

A wave of resignations followed Welch's termination, including the party's executive director, Taylor Gage, who previously served as spokesman to Gov. Pete Ricketts. Other resignations included national committeewoman Lydia Brasch, the first and second district chair, the party treasurer and secretary, and the assistant chairman and assistant state party chair.

The tension was high from the start of the convention after the state party's credentials committee last week revoked credentials for six delegates. One of those delegates, Matt Innis from Crete, was arrested in the morning for third-degree assault and second-degree trespassing, according to Buffalo County Jail records.

One delegate compared the GOP leadership to Soviet Russia and the British monarchy before the American Revolution.

Upvote 0