Aug 27, 2014
✟430,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What does John 1:1-3 have to do with keeping the commandments? What does Ecclesiastes have to do with John?

It feels as though you are picking out Biblical passages at random without making the necessary connection between them, expecting that to be self-evident because it apparently is for you.

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What does John 1:1-3 have to do with keeping the commandments? What does Ecclesiastes have to do with John?

It feels as though you are picking out Biblical passages at random without making the necessary connection between them, expecting that to be self-evident because it apparently is for you.
What does John 1:1-3 have to do with salvation? Why does anyone believe that in order to be saved a person has to believe their version of John 1:1-3? John 1:1-3 does not say that God and the Word were the only things that existed in the beginning.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Can you please answer my question with an answer, not another question?

This is really getting irritating. If you don't want to have to back up what you say with some kind of explanation of what you mean, then you shouldn't be posting anything.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Can you please answer my question with an answer, not another question?

This is really getting irritating. If you don't want to have to back up what you say with some kind of explanation of what you mean, then you shouldn't be posting anything.
When someone buts into a conversation they don't seem to know what it is about. It was not about "What does John 1:1-3 have to do with keeping the commandments? What does Ecclesiastes have to do with John?", it was about salvation and John 1:1-3. However Ecclesiastes is about salvation and John 1:1-3 is not about salvation. Therefore the questions are irrelevant to the conversation. There is only one Jesus Christ, and salvation comes through keeping the commandments, not whether He has a Grandfather or not.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
1 IN the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Although you do not fully understand this scripture, it has nothing to do with salvation. It is our duty to keep the commandments:

LOL!! It is not I that does not comprehend--but you!!! It is very clear.

New International Version
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

New Living Translation
God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him.

English Standard Version
All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Berean Study Bible
Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made.

Berean Literal Bible
All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being.

New American Standard Bible
All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

New King James Version
All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

King James Bible
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Christian Standard Bible
All things were created through him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.

Contemporary English Version
And with this Word, God created all things. Nothing was made without the Word. Everything that was created

Good News Translation
Through him God made all things; not one thing in all creation was made without him.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
All things were created through Him, and apart from Him not one thing was created that has been created.

International Standard Version
Through him all things were made, and apart from him nothing was made that has been made.

NET Bible
All things were created by him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.

New Heart English Bible
All things were made through him, and apart from him nothing was made that has been made.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everything was in his hand, and without him not even one thing existed of the things that existed.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Everything came into existence through him. Not one thing that exists was made without him.

New American Standard 1977
All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Jubilee Bible 2000
All things were made by him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

King James 2000 Bible
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

American King James Version

American Standard Version
All things were made through him; and without him was not anything made that hath been made.

Douay-Rheims Bible
All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made.

Darby Bible Translation
All things received being through him, and without him not one [thing] received being which has received being.

English Revised Version
All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that hath been made.

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing that exists came into being.

World English Bible
All things were made through him. Without him was not anything made that has been made.

Young's Literal Translation
all things through him did happen, and without him happened not even one thing that hath happened.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
When someone buts into a conversation they don't seem to know what it is about. It was not about "What does John 1:1-3 have to do with keeping the commandments? What does Ecclesiastes have to do with John?", it was about salvation and John 1:1-3. However Ecclesiastes is about salvation and John 1:1-3 is not about salvation. Therefore the questions are irrelevant to the conversation. There is only one Jesus Christ, and salvation comes through keeping the commandments, not whether He has a Grandfather or not.

It is you that butted in to the conversation---which was an answer to Peter1000. And the dicussion was about Jesus and His divinity. I personally do not care who answers what, I sometimes get confused and but in myself.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
When someone buts into a conversation they don't seem to know what it is about.

I was already in the conversation going back several pages (#286, #306, etc.; note especially BigDaddy4's explanation of what he meant in #287; that's what you should be shooting for -- actual explanations of the things you say). I've followed it for the entire thread, with the exception of Peter1000's posts, since I don't see those.

The real problem is that your posting is so repetitive and nonsensical, it becomes difficult to see how what you have posted is in any way a reply to anything in the thread, because you answer literally everything with "we are called to LOVE" and "keep the commandments" over and over and over, augmented with a wall of possibly related Biblical text, usually with zero explanation as to how it supports your case. So even pointing out "That's not what we were talking about" doesn't really help, because your answer is seemingly the same to absolutely everything, so it doesn't seem to matter what you were talking about anyway, since your answer would be the same. I could ask what kind of footwear St. Mark wore to Alexandria, and you'd probably answer "We tell people to LOVE" and "Keep the commandments". :doh:

It was not about "What does John 1:1-3 have to do with keeping the commandments? What does Ecclesiastes have to do with John?", it was about salvation and John 1:1-3. However Ecclesiastes is about salvation and John 1:1-3 is not about salvation.

And these are assertions you should actually have to back up (what is and isn't about salvation, and how/why), particularly if you are going to put John 1:1-3 and Ecclesiastes together in the same reply.

Therefore the questions are irrelevant to the conversation.

Not really, since you put them together in the same reply.

There is only one Jesus Christ, and salvation comes through keeping the commandments, not whether He has a Grandfather or not.

Indeed, there is only one Christ, and it's not the figure we find in Mormonism, who has a grandfather and saves people or not based on their keeping the commandments of Joseph Smith, rather than the actual commandments we are given in order to best follow Christ and be transformed in Him (not to 'earn' something, certainly not salvation as if that were even possible).

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
LOL!! It is not I that does not comprehend--but you!!! It is very clear.

New International Version
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

New Living Translation
God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him.

English Standard Version
All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Berean Study Bible
Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made.

Berean Literal Bible
All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being.

New American Standard Bible
All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

New King James Version
All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

King James Bible

Christian Standard Bible
All things were created through him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.

Contemporary English Version
And with this Word, God created all things. Nothing was made without the Word. Everything that was created

Good News Translation
Through him God made all things; not one thing in all creation was made without him.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
All things were created through Him, and apart from Him not one thing was created that has been created.

International Standard Version
Through him all things were made, and apart from him nothing was made that has been made.

NET Bible
All things were created by him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.

New Heart English Bible
All things were made through him, and apart from him nothing was made that has been made.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everything was in his hand, and without him not even one thing existed of the things that existed.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Everything came into existence through him. Not one thing that exists was made without him.

New American Standard 1977
All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Jubilee Bible 2000
All things were made by him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

King James 2000 Bible

American King James Version

American Standard Version
All things were made through him; and without him was not anything made that hath been made.

Douay-Rheims Bible
All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made.

Darby Bible Translation
All things received being through him, and without him not one [thing] received being which has received being.

English Revised Version
All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that hath been made.

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing that exists came into being.

World English Bible
All things were made through him. Without him was not anything made that has been made.

Young's Literal Translation
all things through him did happen, and without him happened not even one thing that hath happened.
The Conservation of Mass-Energy
There is a scientific law called the Law of Conservation of Mass, discovered by Antoine Lavoisier in 1785. In its most compact form, it states: matter is neither created nor destroyed. ... the total amount of mass and energy in the universe is constant.

Matter has always existed. God formed the universe:

(Old Testament | Psalms 90:2)

2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

(Old Testament | Proverbs 26:10)

10 The great God that formed all things both rewardeth the fool, and rewardeth transgressors.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It is you that butted in to the conversation---which was an answer to Peter1000. And the dicussion was about Jesus and His divinity. I personally do not care who answers what, I sometimes get confused and but in myself.
Yes I believe we all but in from time to time.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I was already in the conversation going back several pages (#286, #306, etc.; note especially BigDaddy4's explanation of what he meant in #287; that's what you should be shooting for -- actual explanations of the things you say). I've followed it for the entire thread, with the exception of Peter1000's posts, since I don't see those.

The real problem is that your posting is so repetitive and nonsensical, it becomes difficult to see how what you have posted is in any way a reply to anything in the thread, because you answer literally everything with "we are called to LOVE" and "keep the commandments" over and over and over, augmented with a wall of possibly related Biblical text, usually with zero explanation as to how it supports your case. So even pointing out "That's not what we were talking about" doesn't really help, because your answer is seemingly the same to absolutely everything, so it doesn't seem to matter what you were talking about anyway, since your answer would be the same. I could ask what kind of footwear St. Mark wore to Alexandria, and you'd probably answer "We tell people to LOVE" and "Keep the commandments". :doh:

And these are assertions you should actually have to back up (what is and isn't about salvation, and how/why), particularly if you are going to put John 1:1-3 and Ecclesiastes together in the same reply.

Not really, since you put them together in the same reply.

Indeed, there is only one Christ, and it's not the figure we find in Mormonism, who has a grandfather and saves people or not based on their keeping the commandments of Joseph Smith, rather than the actual commandments we are given in order to best follow Christ and be transformed in Him (not to 'earn' something, certainly not salvation as if that were even possible).
Yes I do try to get people back on track. The whole Bible is about LOVING God and keeping the commandments. People tend to get sidetracked. The commandments are called commandments and not suggestions for a reason. God is LOVE and He wants us to learn to to LOVE as He LOVES. That is why He gave us this new commandment:

(New Testament | John 13:34)

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

The gospel is about LOVE!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes I do try to get people back on track...

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/loc...d-abetting-rape-culture/#sthash.3sj8P5FG.qjtu
Smiley off-topic 2.png
Not on track.

How outdated Mormon teachings may be aiding and abetting ‘rape culture’

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

And as I stated:

"From your article "Men are told they have a natural sex drive, which is inherent to being male, she says. “They are the actors in sexual situations, but they are also taught they can’t control it.”

That is a lie. We are taught that we need to bridle our desires.
Bridle All Your Passions"

The gospel is about LOVE, not lust. Rape is against the gospel of LOVE.

"If you are being abused or have been abused in the past, you do not have to face this alone. You may feel confused, powerless, frightened, isolated, ashamed, or as if you have lost your worth. “Remember the worth of [your soul] is great in the sight of God” (Doctrine and Covenants 18:10), and you are “as precious in his sight as [any] other” (Jacob 2:21). Friends, family, Church leaders, and others can connect you to resources that will help you feel safe so that you can heal and remember your worth. You are loved, and you can find hope and healing through the Savior Jesus Christ because of His atoning sacrifice."

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You know what else is against the Gospel? Sexual immorality, covetousness, manipulation, and lust.

What's that? Joseph Smith did all of those things, and couched his doing so in a letter about "happiness" that has been presented not in the light of the circumstances in which it was actually written, but as though it was a series of general platitudes, because that would be easier for the Mormon faithful to swallow than hearing the truth about how their so-called prophet was such a disgusting horn-dog that it nearly got him castrated?

Boy...what an anti-Mormon lie being propagated by a historian who has taught and been a fellow at BYU and Utah State University! (Christopher Smith, whose academic specialty is Mormonism.)

It's almost as though Mormonism's theology surrounding plural wives (a.k.a. fornication, which is against the Gospel; cf. John 4:16-18; 1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:6, etc.) enables sexual crimes even as the public face of the religion has to conform to the same laws as every other religion to keep it from being treated in the courts like the danger it is. (*cough* poiygamy and Utah's statehood *cough*) After all, Warren Jeffs and others have shown what happens when you take Joseph Smith's example a bit too literally in modern society.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The Conservation of Mass-Energy
There is a scientific law called the Law of Conservation of Mass, discovered by Antoine Lavoisier in 1785. In its most compact form, it states: matter is neither created nor destroyed. ... the total amount of mass and energy in the universe is constant.

Matter has always existed. God formed the universe:

(Old Testament | Psalms 90:2)

2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

(Old Testament | Proverbs 26:10)

10 The great God that formed all things both rewardeth the fool, and rewardeth transgressors.

LOL!! And just how would he know!! It is now 2019---and all scientists now agree, that the universe came about from nothing, and they still can't figure out how. All you have to do is look up:"did the universe come about out of nothing?" And this you have been told countless times also. It just doesn't jive with your false prophets' ideas and you keep ignoring what the latest atheistic scientists have to say.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes I do try to get people back on track.

This would be a lot less hilarious if you had posted it without subsequently posting a bunch of gobbledy-gook about the conservation of mass. Is it science's fault that the Mormon religion was founded by a sexual predator, and continues in some ways to espouse his theologized sexual obsessions? If not, then I don't see how this has anything to do with anything.

The whole Bible is about LOVING God and keeping the commandments.

Yep! Nothing about Joseph Smith in the entire thing.

People tend to get sidetracked.

Yep again! Sometimes they even start parasitic pseudo-Christian religions based on visions they supposedly had in groves when they were children...talk about sidetracked!

The commandments are called commandments and not suggestions for a reason. God is LOVE and He wants us to learn to to LOVE as He LOVES. That is why He gave us this new commandment:

That why He gave us His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, the author and finisher of our faith, and the perfect, blameless, and holy lover of mankind.

(New Testament | John 13:34)

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

The gospel is about LOVE!!!!

Amen. And I would submit that it is not loving to subject young women to pressure to enter into elicit relationships with a supposed prophet, with spiritual threats and promises dangling as carrots and sticks, but that is the story of Mormonism. It is so different than the agape love preached throughout the Gospels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You know what else is against the Gospel? Sexual immorality, covetousness, manipulation, and lust.

Boy...what an anti-Mormon lie being propagated by a historian who has taught and been a fellow at BYU and Utah State University! (Christopher Smith, whose academic specialty is Mormonism.)

It's almost as though Mormonism's theology surrounding plural wives (a.k.a. fornication, which is against the Gospel; cf. John 4:16-18; 1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:6, etc.) enables sexual crimes even as the public face of the religion has to conform to the same laws as every other religion to keep it from being treated in the courts like the danger it is. (*cough* poiygamy and Utah's statehood *cough*) After all, Warren Jeffs and others have shown what happens when you take Joseph Smith's example a bit too literally in modern society.
I know more about Joseph Smith than Christopher Smith knows. I also know that Christopher Smith is a liar and a deceiver. Perhaps he actually believes that his perceptions are correct. Poor misguided soul.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
LOL!! And just how would he know!! It is now 2019---and all scientists now agree, that the universe came about from nothing, and they still can't figure out how. All you have to do is look up:"did the universe come about out of nothing?" And this you have been told countless times also. It just doesn't jive with your false prophets' ideas and you keep ignoring what the latest atheistic scientists have to say.
You said: "all scientists now agree, that the universe came about from nothing"

That is not true, some do some do not. Some also believe that God was not necessary, do you agree with that also? I don't, neither do I believe that God is nothing. God has always existed therefore I believe that something has always existed. Eventually we will be able to understand it all. However salvation is not based on our understanding all things. Salvation is based on our righteousness:

(New Testament | Matthew 5:19 - 20)

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

We know that righteousness is through LOVE and not through a knowledge of all things. We teach LOVING one another and helping one another. We also teach self control.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You said: "all scientists now agree, that the universe came about from nothing"

That is not true, some do some do not. Some also believe that God was not necessary, do you agree with that also? I don't, neither do I believe that God is nothing. God has always existed therefore I believe that something has always existed. Eventually we will be able to understand it all. However salvation is not based on our understanding all things. Salvation is based on our righteousness:

(New Testament | Matthew 5:19 - 20)

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

We know that righteousness is through LOVE and not through a knowledge of all things. We teach LOVING one another and helping one another. We also teach self control.

Yes, there are a few who don't, so you can pick the ones that you can agree with. Of course God always existed---nothing else did. I know you will not believe anything different than what JS has said.
Salvation is not based on our righteousness---it is based on the righteousness of Jesus.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This would be a lot less hilarious if you had posted it without subsequently posting a bunch of gobbledy-gook about the conservation of mass. Is it science's fault that the Mormon religion was founded by a sexual predator, and continues in some ways to espouse his theologized sexual obsessions? If not, then I don't see how this has anything to do with anything.

Yep! Nothing about Joseph Smith in the entire thing.

Yep again! Sometimes they even start parasitic pseudo-Christian religions based on visions they supposedly had in groves when they were children...talk about sidetracked!

That why He gave us His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, the author and finisher of our faith, and the perfect, blameless, and holy lover of mankind.

Amen. And I would submit that it is not loving to subject young women to pressure to enter into elicit relationships with a supposed prophet, with spiritual threats and promises dangling as carrots and sticks, but that is the story of Mormonism. It is so different than the agape love preached throughout the Gospels.
Joseph Smith was NOT a sexual predator as you assume, nor did he pressure young women to enter into elicit relationships.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.