Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps millions or billions of years ago. The Bible does not say and I don't have that information, but I like this scripture:
(Old Testament | Psalms 82:1)

1 GOD standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

The 16th, 17th, and 18th parts of the midnight praises for Sunday in the Coptic Orthodox tradition:

Who is likened unto You, O Lord among the gods, You are the true God, the Performer of miracles.

+ You revealed Your power, to the people, and You saved Your people, with Your arm.

You descended into Hades, and brought up, those who were captives, in that place.

+ And granted us again, the freedom, as a good God, for You have risen and saved us.

Christ our God, has risen from the dead, He is the first-fruit, of those who departed.

+ He appeared to Mary, Magdalene, and spoke to her, and likewise said.

"Tell My brethren, to proceed, to Galilee, and there they will see Me."

+ So Mary came forth, to the disciples, and told them she had seen the Lord, and that He told her so.

Truly indeed, it was good caring, of the Saint Mary, Magdalene.

+ She came to the grave, on one of the Sabbath days, seeking earnestly, the Resurrection of the Lord.

She saw the angel, sitting on the stone, proclaiming and saying, "He is risen He is not here."

+ Wherefore we glorify Him, proclaiming and saying, "Blessed are You O my Lord Jesus, for You have risen and saved us."

+++

Based on their mishandling of the Holy Bible, the Mormon would probably read this prayer and say "Aha! See, so you guys agree with us about a multiplicity of Gods!" It is not possible to dislodge a person from their falsehood, I suppose, but the Christian reader would read this and say "Yes, this is all true. The Lord alone is the true Lord among all the gods of the nations", since that is the clear allusion to be made.

At least I know I have never had any problem praying it, and I can't imagine why anyone would except if they didn't understand it, but we understand things in the context of our (Christian) faith and not outside of it (in Mormonism, Islam, etc. -- whatever isn't Christian). So that's where the disconnect seems to be. Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to the Bible Jesus did:

(New Testament | Philippians 2:5 - 6)

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
How then do you reconcile Colossians?

"The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. " (Colossians 1:15-17)

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps millions or billions of years ago. The Bible does not say and I don't have that information.
But the Bible does say.

"The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. " (Colossians 1:15-17)

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The 16th, 17th, and 18th parts of the midnight praises for Sunday in the Coptic Orthodox tradition:

Who is likened unto You, O Lord among the gods, You are the true God, the Performer of miracles.

+ You revealed Your power, to the people, and You saved Your people, with Your arm.

You descended into Hades, and brought up, those who were captives, in that place.

+ And granted us again, the freedom, as a good God, for You have risen and saved us.

Christ our God, has risen from the dead, He is the first-fruit, of those who departed.

+ He appeared to Mary, Magdalene, and spoke to her, and likewise said.

"Tell My brethren, to proceed, to Galilee, and there they will see Me."

+ So Mary came forth, to the disciples, and told them she had seen the Lord, and that He told her so.

Truly indeed, it was good caring, of the Saint Mary, Magdalene.

+ She came to the grave, on one of the Sabbath days, seeking earnestly, the Resurrection of the Lord.

She saw the angel, sitting on the stone, proclaiming and saying, "He is risen He is not here."

+ Wherefore we glorify Him, proclaiming and saying, "Blessed are You O my Lord Jesus, for You have risen and saved us."

+++

Based on their mishandling of the Holy Bible, the Mormon would probably read this prayer and say "Aha! See, so you guys agree with us about a multiplicity of Gods!" It is not possible to dislodge a person from their falsehood, I suppose, but the Christian reader would read this and say "Yes, this is all true. The Lord alone is the true Lord among all the gods of the nations", since that is the clear allusion to be made.

At least I know I have never had any problem praying it, and I can't imagine why anyone would except if they didn't understand it, but we understand things in the context of our (Christian) faith and not outside of it (in Mormonism, Islam, etc. -- whatever isn't Christian). So that's where the disconnect seems to be. Lord have mercy.
While it is true that we see things differently we do have many things in common. When it comes down to the duty of man the gospel is really quite simple:
(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me." - Isaiah 43:10

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Yes--but you claim there are many gods before God the Father--for He had a Father also (I assume a mother also) and he had a father and that one had a father and.....
Then we can become gods and those that we give birth too and....
So you're into millions of Gods right about now. God the Father you view as only the God of this earth.
God is God to all of His children, that is because He is our Father:
(Old Testament | Psalms 82:6)

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

I also believe Paul when he said that God is a calling that we can attain through Jesus Christ:

(New Testament | Philippians 3:14)

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
God is God to all of His children, that is because He is our Father:
(Old Testament | Psalms 82:6)

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

I also believe Paul when he said that God is a calling that we can attain through Jesus Christ:

(New Testament | Philippians 3:14)

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Your God is JS and your bible is his writings. They can not save you. There is no truth in them. Only Jesus and the bible--the truth is there and no where else.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me." - Isaiah 43:10
(Old Testament | Isaiah 43:11)

11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Your God is JS and your bible is his writings. They can not save you. There is no truth in them. Only Jesus and the bible--the truth is there and no where else.
No my God is not Joseph Smith any more than yours is James Springer, and the Bible we use is the KJV of the Bible. The way to salvation is keeping the commandments:
(New Testament | John 14:23 - 24)

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
But the Bible does say.

Yes it does, thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
How then do you reconcile Colossians?

(New Testament | Colossians 1:15 - 17)

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

The before also means in front of for instance:
(New Testament | Matthew 11:10)

10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
No my God is not Joseph Smith and the Bible we use is the KJV of the Bible. The way to salvation is keeping the commandments:
(New Testament | John 14:23 - 24)

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

The way to salvation is through the grace of Jesus. And yes--he is your God for you take his word over that of the scriptures which is the word of God. You are a walking example of:
Isa 4:1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.
You can say Jesus is your God--but that is not who you follow. You place JS above the writings of the word of God and that makesw him your God.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
(New Testament | Colossians 1:15 - 17)

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

The before also means in front of for instance:
(New Testament | Matthew 11:10)

10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

How does that CHANGE "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible,"??

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The way to salvation is through the grace of Jesus. And yes--he is your God for you take his word over that of the scriptures which is the word of God. You are a walking example of:
Isa 4:1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.
You can say Jesus is your God--but that is not who you follow. You place JS above the writings of the word of God and that makesw him your God.
Is James Springer your God? You follow him along with Hiram Edson, Joseph Bates and J. N Anderson.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
While it is true that we see things differently we do have many things in common. When it comes down to the duty of man the gospel is really quite simple:
(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Why are you changing the subject? First you tried to show that Psalm 82 supports the Mormon view of there being many, many gods, and when I showed an example of a traditional Christian view of this question (that, yes, other peoples may have their own gods, but there is only one GOD), you have now essentially said "Sure, but the 'duty of man' is this other thing."

We're not talking about 'the duty of man'. Please stay on the topic that you brought up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Is James Springer your God? You follow him along with Hiram Edson, Joseph Bates and J. N Anderson.

Hate to tell you this---I don't know who they are, except Joseph Bates, but have actually never read their writings. And I hold no writings above the word of God, including EGW.

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
How does that CHANGE "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible,"??
It doesn't, but they were not created out of nothing as you assume. Did God create man out of nothing?:

(Old Testament | Genesis 1:27)

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
(Old Testament | Genesis 2:7)

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Why are you changing the subject? First you tried to show that Psalm 82 supports the Mormon view of there being many, many gods, and when I showed an example of a traditional Christian view of this question (that, yes, other peoples may have their own gods, but there is only one GOD), you have now essentially said "Sure, but the 'duty of man' is this other thing."

We're not talking about 'the duty of man'. Please stay on the topic that you brought up.
Was there a question in your post, I didn't see any so I took it as a statement and made a statement to your statement. If you want to continue with a question please do so.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No, there was not a question. There was an example of the Christian understanding of what God being the judge among the gods means, as this is what you had brought up as Biblical evidence for the Mormon position.

You responded with something completely unrelated.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No, there was not a question. There was an example of the Christian understanding of what God being the judge among the gods means, as this is what you had brought up as Biblical evidence for the Mormon position.

You responded with something completely unrelated.
It was related to our different views about God and religion that is what this thread is about, is it not? I just wanted to remind you that we do have a lot in common, and that the Bible is that common ground. I answered your statement with a statement of my own which, in my opinion, is related.

Upvote 0