LAZY what to do

aggiedude

Apr 19, 2007
✟7,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK here is the problem First at times I am very very lazy I always put my work off till the very last moment my grades are not that great (although I am getting a little better but) It is like I am in this endless cycle first I am lazy and don't do my work and then when I try and do my work I get mad and quit then I start feeling like the weight of the world is on me and I miss a class or two and i get mad at myself and I just keep going further and further down.

I try and chnage but it works for a couple of days and then I am lazy again. and after awhile I feel really depressed.

I told myself that I was going to do all my work and get things turned in on time and takereally good notes during my summer classes but after about a week I started missing class and not turning in my work. people just say that I am lazy and should just get over it. but it is harder than just saying "i am not going to be lazy" I feel that I have to change over night but this is something that just won't be fixed over night. I just feel tired all the time both mentally and physically.

The summer classes that I was taking one of the was very very easy it was a intro to computers and I took it because of the easy A but I took that as a excuse to be lazy. and then that other class a physics class It is hard and I don't feel like I did anything in that class or got anything out of it except stress but I love physics when I am not doing my work I am programming (in C) little projects just to see If I can do them and these little projects use alot of math and physics. But when I take the physics class I am lost most of the time. The computer class was very easy except for the fact that I did not study at all for the final and I got a 76 on it. but I was just board because I thought that I knew all of it so I just sat there. the labs where very very easy I still got a A in that class (thank God for the curve on the final)

Sorry for the long post but I just had to say that, I guess I am looking for the 12 step program to stop being lazy (lol) This is my first year of college but I am afraid that I won't change I want to change and people say "well if you want to change just change" but that is easy to say and not to do. I keep telling my self that this is going to be the day this is a fresh start I am going to do all of my work I am going to study and then I study for like 45 min and then watch TV for the rest of the day.

Is there anybody else that has had or has a problem like this? advise needed

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a bit like that too.
It will probably be hard to change, right away.
I was thinking about this and it might help to remove anything that is distracting you from getting work done.
It helps me to take classes I'm more interested in. Or have some sort of motivation to get the work done in the classes.

Upvote 0

BeautifulChange

Jul 6, 2007
Nueva York
✟15,393.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i have experienced this myself. the best thing to do (for me, anyways) is to get organized. make a schedule hour to hour for the whole day (week by week). i know it seems like much but write in time for leisure not just study. follow it as close as possible. this helped me a great deal. i am usually VERY lazy and have managed a very decent GPA.

let me know if this helped or have any questions.

Reactions: aunt_kelly
Upvote 0

canehdianhotstuff

I pour water into acid, I'm crazy like that.
Dec 29, 2003
Pembroke, ON
✟12,820.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
I procratinate everything and wouldnt remember dates things were due if it wernt for classmates needing my help to finnish them the day before they are due lol. Pays to be smart in that case haha. the main thing is on big projects to be able to gather all your information and idea's and have them saved somewhere and everynow and then to add a little more to it and read till the week they are due...very lazy process you may think but you have everything at your fingertips and you know things in gernal of where your're going. i wrote an 18 page formal report in 3 days after having 2 months to actually do it and got 98%. its for everyone, but you kinda sound like me. you may have to just hang out with classmates that actually do their work on time and liekly you will get yours done and you will know stuff for finals.

Upvote 0

aunt_kelly

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2007
✟12,570.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i have experienced this myself. the best thing to do (for me, anyways) is to get organized. make a schedule hour to hour for the whole day (week by week). i know it seems like much but write in time for leisure not just study. follow it as close as possible. this helped me a great deal. i am usually VERY lazy and have managed a very decent GPA.

let me know if this helped or have any questions.
I think that this sounds like good advice. Write out a schedule (in one or two hour intervals) for each day of the week, factoring in time that you're in class, time that you might be at work, time for meals, time for relaxing, and time for studying. Keep it in your pocket and try your hardest to stick to it. If you scheduled an hour for studying, spend an hour doing homework... not in front of the tv or other distractions but at a desk or a place designated for work, not fun.

It'll be hard, but I think, with work, things will improve! Good luck!

Upvote 0

savedandforgiven

Jul 11, 2007
✟7,815.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Just think of the worst possible scenarios that can happen if you continue being lazy...
how this will affect your future job, marriage, children, etc. Make it a story even...and make it as awful-sounding as possible. then think about what other classmates, profs and friends would think if they knew how much you procrastinated. then think about what God probably thinks.
this could possibly work if you are good at scaring yourself.
then just "hop to it". the cure to being lazy is to start working. schedules do also work wonders...I totally agree with all those posts ahead of me. just make sure you follow it!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sefirato

Jun 15, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
✟15,375.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have the same problem, though not as severe as it used to be.

Part of my issue was Attention-Decifit Hyperactivity Disorder. (ADHD for short). Basically, I would be distracted by other stuff, or obsessed about certain stuff that interests me greatly, and school usually do not garner interest in me, video games were my only outlet, and I found that to be an escape from reality for so long.

For me, at least - laziness and procrastination ties in with ADHD. These two are my biggest block that I have to stumble over to be able to complete tasks in time and effectively. It has been difficult for me, almost to the point where I felt like it was impossible to do so. There are many times when I felt like there were a 15.6 ton anvil hovering on my head and about to fall down on me every time I try to do something I don't really like that much but I know I need to do it. That kind of feeling comes into my thoughts once in a while now. Before that, it used to come almost all the times.

Mr. Cheeseis right: the solution to it is self-discipline, especially with having proper reasoning procedures. I'll use the budget reasoning for example purposes as I have gone through it and am getting through to overcome this reasoning issue that I have.

When you get your paycheck.... What do you usually do with it? There is an application from this example to the example of reasoning on why we're lazy.

Proper Reasoning:
  1. Tithe (10%)
  2. Bills
  3. Food
  4. "Pleasure Money" - at this stage for most people, they usually do not have any after they go through this reasoning method.
However with some people like myself, we usually reverse the order of reasoning in what we want to do, with #4 becomes #1 and #1 becomes #4, and the last thing is usually something that we usually never do since most of us have run out of money by then. Though, for some, it can also happen to #3 on the list, which in my case would be unable to pay some of the bills.

For me, my reasoning has been very weak. I grew up not learning much about reasoning solely for the fact that I was "handicapped" in not having enough information, basically because I am deaf. With that deafness, I was not able to hear what my mom talks about with her everyday situations (most of you have that privilege of eavesdropping or at least be able to hear everything that goes on in the house, with your parents talking about whatever, and how they do things, etc). For me, through my teenage years I was never able to reason at all, and almost always made the bad choices without thinking before I act. That kind of behavior continued until just only recently when I was finally taught about reasoning in general and that was a huge slap in the face for me as it was the core knowledge that I lacked which would have solved so many of my troubles I had when I was "young". Lack of motivation, lack of interest, lack of wisdom, lack of anything. No reasoning to back it, it can be extremely disastrous and I was lucky to get out of that pit, thanks to my church and my pastor.

I've gone onto a rant here and it is almost off topic but I'll get back to the point here.

My reasoning was:
  1. Fun Time
  2. Class
  3. Homework.
Homework was always last on my list for me. Always. I am still struggling to get that set straight.

Time Management. Same thing with Reasoning. Pretty much. That will definitely take me a while to get over this one.

I'm not sure what else is applied to the reason why we're usually lazy.

Ah yeah, that's it.

It's how we were raised. Or at least for me, it's the lack of the ability to listen (literally) AND the lack of a male role model in my life (my father was never there. Mom divorced him when I was 3 and she basically raised me by herself for the most part.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

Defensor

Don't forget about accountability. Find someone you trust and ask them to hold you accountable to spending more time on school and less time on other things or whatever. Accountability is a biblical concept and is part of the reason we have church bodies.
Also pray about it. Be in the Word everyday and pray. Christ said to ask and you will receive. James said you do not have because you do not ask. So I encourage you to constantly be in prayer and find someone to hold you accountable.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

WurdBendur

Aug 8, 2007
✟15,124.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are plenty of good suggestions here. It's not important to schedule every detail, but what is important is to develop a routine. Set fixed times to study, times for fun, and times for other daily business (devotion, scripture, prayer, whatever you do), and stick to this schedule. I suggest that you not spend more than a couple hours a day on homework or study, but if you're like me you'll need several. ¬_¬

Be sure to schedule some extra time just in case. If you have extra homework one day, you may not be able to fit it into your normal time. Taking away from fun time is okay, but don't cut it out entirely!

Upvote 0