-
✟65,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I haven't physically attended a church since 2019. I used to be a member of a Baptist church for many years, but left over issues and dissatisfaction with their Bible study classes. After I left that church, I tried another church that was part of the Evangelical Free Church denomination. I was happy with it until they taught a belief that was not Bible-centered.

I haven't been able to find a church in my area that is worth attending. When I research the churches in my area, I find out things about them that I do not want to be a part of. For example, one of them promoted homosexuality. I've thought about attending a Methodist church, but when I read the beliefs of each church that identifies as Methodist, I do not agree with their beliefs.

I don't know what to do. I have prayed to God about it several times. What should I do?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I haven't physically attended a church since 2019. I used to be a member of a Baptist church for many years, but left over issues and dissatisfaction with their Bible study classes. After I left that church, I tried another church that was part of the Evangelical Free Church denomination. I was happy with it until they taught a belief that was not Bible-centered.

I haven't been able to find a church in my area that is worth attending. When I research the churches in my area, I find out things about them that I do not want to be a part of. For example, one of them promoted homosexuality. I've thought about attending a Methodist church, but when I read the beliefs of each church that identifies as Methodist, I do not agree with their beliefs.

I don't know what to do. I have prayed to God about it several times. What should I do?
Keep looking. There are strong Bible based churches out there with 10's of millions of members.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What qualities are important to you in finding a church? I gather that you want a church that is not LGBT-affirming; there are lots of churches that fit that criterion. What else are you hoping to find? Do you want worship that is sermon-oriented, or liturgy/sacrament-oriented, or something else? You spoke of dissatisfaction with Bible study classes -- are you looking for Bible study that's more in-depth (maybe bringing in commentaries and perhaps a study of NT Greek), or was there something else that was dissatisfying for you?

If you were happy in a particular Baptist church except for their adult education program, you might be happy with a different Baptist congregation that's a little more studious. Are there other Baptist churches in your area?

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What qualities are important to you in finding a church?
I need it to be Bible-centered. No diverging from the Bible (which I'm certain is 100% unattainable). I get very turned off when a church holds a belief that is contrary to the Bible.

What else are you hoping to find?
I used to have hopes of finding a church that had a Singles class (that's almost hard to find where I live). I would also like to meet others that share my values and beliefs.

Do you want worship that is sermon-oriented, or liturgy/sacrament-oriented, or something else?
Sermon-oriented. If this helps, I like listening to Charles Stanley. He helps me grow as a Christian and he's serious about his faith.

You spoke of dissatisfaction with Bible study classes -- are you looking for Bible study that's more in-depth (maybe bringing in commentaries and perhaps a study of NT Greek), or was there something else that was dissatisfying for you?
Here's what I had issues with on the Bible studies:
- No Singles class; that meant you had to go to a class of your gender or the "co-ed" that had all the married people. (The church was also repeatedly against allowing a Singles class because they "had more important things to focus on"; this was a big, rich church, not a little, poor church)
- The women's-only class that I used to be a part of was great. I ended up leaving the class after the teacher decided to use the Kay Arthur method of studying the Bible. I didn't find it beneficial to me.

My goals with the Bible study classes:
- Learn more about the Bible. I've been reading Bible studies by David Jeremiah on my own (and I like them)
- Develop fellowship/friendship with others. I know I need more Christians in my life, I just don't have them since I don't go to church.

If you were happy in a particular Baptist church except for their adult education program, you might be happy with a different Baptist congregation that's a little more studious. Are there other Baptist churches in your area?
There are other Baptist churches in my area. I am open to going to other denominations as long as they're Bible-centered.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the explanation -- that helps. It seems to me that you're a good fit for the Southern Baptists. A second choice might be one of the conservative Presbyterian denominations, like the Orthodox Presbyterian Church or the Presbyterian Church in America.

Features like the presence/absence of a singles class, or the exact curriculum used for adult education, are going to vary from one congregation to another; you might just have to visit a few churches to see what they're doing in their Bible studies.

If one of your goals is to develop community and friendships with other Christians, I suggest that going to an imperfect church is an improvement over not going to church at all. I think it's good, and important, that you're studying on your own. A mere hour or two on Sundays can only give us so much as we try to learn what God has to teach us; it's got to be supplemented by our own individual study. Still, reading books on one's own is a little lonely. So, maybe if there's a church near you that has some kind of adult education / adult Sunday School program, or some kind of small group structure, that might be worth visiting even if you have continue to supplement their teaching with your own reading and study. You'd at least get to meet other Christians.

I hope you're able to find a good community near you!

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
- The women's-only class that I used to be a part of was great. I ended up leaving the class after the teacher decided to use the Kay Arthur method of studying the Bible. I didn't find it beneficial to me.

My goals with the Bible study classes:
- Learn more about the Bible. I've been reading Bible studies by David Jeremiah on my own (and I like them)
I have listened to both Kay Arthur and David Jeremiah, Chuck Swindoll, and Charles Stanley on the radio over a period of years and really like some of the teaching that they provide. I attend a Kay Arthur class in person once or twice when I lived in Chattanooga a number of years ago.

I find that many people have something to contribute even if I don't agree with every single detail in what they teach.

But I agree with your point that finding a solid Bible-based church is extremely important. Truth is increasingly harder to find in the last days and as we see in 2 Thess 2:8-12 it is increasingly more important to get it right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In general a good church will be increasingly harder to find. We live at a time when Christianity is rapidly declining. Even liberal churches that try to accommodate the world are losing members.

2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

There are a few churches that try to hold to what is biblical, but they can run into the problem that defensiveness can bring like legalism.

We may be at a time when Christians will have to connect with each other individually rather than through organizational systems. This will not be as easy as finding a compatible denomination in the phone book. It requires taking initiative, reaching out, and often being rejected.

The Internet can be useful to make connections with others that are becoming less possible locally.

Upvote 0

ezra932

Jan 27, 2018
DONIPHAN
✟15,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

what was it on the Methodist you didnt agree with. the old Methodist founded by the Wesley brothers beloved it right to the T however when the united Methodist formed under the guidelines of the conference . they went south i was raised umc and i have preached in the Methodist Church i was raised in. the UMC is to liberal for my taste. there is a huge split from the conference. i thing in time you will see a turn around

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
what was it on the Methodist you didnt agree with. the old Methodist founded by the Wesley brothers beloved it right to the T however when the united Methodist formed under the guidelines of the conference . they went south i was raised umc and i have preached in the Methodist Church i was raised in. the UMC is to liberal for my taste. there is a huge split from the conference. i thing in time you will see a turn around
Out of curiousity - I have a question about Methodist universities. Do they teach that the Bible creation week is not literal and that in fact it is evolution that is literally true when it comes to a doctrine on origin for all life on planet Earth?

I mentioned to someone that I thought this was the case based on some info I had a few years ago - but I am looking for more input on that detail.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Out of curiousity - I have a question about Methodist universities. Do they teach that the Bible creation week is not literal and that in fact it is evolution that is literally true when it comes to a doctrine on origin for all life on planet Earth?

I mentioned to someone that I thought this was the case based on some info I had a few years ago - but I am looking for more input on that detail.

The Methodist-affiliated university I have the most experience with is Duke, and while they have a divinity school and a prominent Methodist presence, they do not require faculty or students to be Methodists, or Christians. Given that diversity, and also given that they're strong in scientific research, I would expect their curriculum to reflect the mainstream scientific view. This is, in fact, what I see reflected in their biology curriculum: Major Requirements | Department of Biology

SMU appears to be similar: Biological Sciences - Southern Methodist University - Acalog ACMS™ (note course BIOL 3303, "Evolution").

Methodist University, similarly: Courses | Biology | Methodist University

Universities affiliated with the United Methodist Church will likely be accepting of evolutionary biology, given that the denomination as a whole is accepting of this field of study: What does the UMC say about evolution?

I don't know if there are colleges out there that are part of the wider Wesleyan tradition that require a belief in young earth creationism. It's possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Methodist-affiliated university I have the most experience with is Duke, and while they have a divinity school and a prominent Methodist presence, they do not require faculty or students to be Methodists, or Christians. Given that diversity, and also given that they're strong in scientific research, I would expect their curriculum to reflect the mainstream scientific view. This is, in fact, what I see reflected in their biology curriculum: Major Requirements | Department of Biology

SMU appears to be similar: Biological Sciences - Southern Methodist University - Acalog ACMS™ (note course BIOL 3303, "Evolution").

Methodist University, similarly: Courses | Biology | Methodist University

Universities affiliated with the United Methodist Church will likely be accepting of evolutionary biology, given that the denomination as a whole is accepting of this field of study: What does the UMC say about evolution?

I don't know if there are colleges out there that are part of the wider Wesleyan tradition that require a belief in young earth creationism. It's possible.
Thanks - that is helpful.

Are there any Methodist institutions that accept Bible creation in Genesis 1-2 and Ex 20:11?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks - that is helpful.

Are there any Methodist institutions that accept Bible creation in Genesis 1-2 and Ex 20:11?

According to the documents at this web site (Our Christian Beliefs), the United Methodists affirm that God is the creator of the world, so, yes, in that sense. I expect that you would see this belief reflected in the portions of Methodist colleges and universities that teach Christian theology, such as in Duke Divinity School.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I had read that they believe a person can lose salvation. I believe the opposite - once saved, always saved.

Upvote 0

ezra932

Jan 27, 2018
DONIPHAN
✟15,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I had read that they believe a person can lose salvation. I believe the opposite - once saved, always saved.
there are other Baptist and Pentecostals that believe you can lose it/walk away ..my self i hold to a know so salvation a old time preacher man once said if you can get saved and not know it. you can lose it and not know it... the old timers who brought in os.a.s said it like this if you get away from the Lord and never return. you never was truly saved

Upvote 0

ezra932

Jan 27, 2018
DONIPHAN
✟15,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

please understand i was raised in the UMC i did not get saved till after i got married and went to revival service at a general Baptist Church. the Wesley brothers started the Methodist movement . they was rock solid i been told that the old Methodist was rock solid.. at some point and time they went united Methodist. they are controlled by a conference board. which today is very liberal and there are many leaving the the united going independent . yes they teach the Bible creation . i know some what about the Methodist but please also bear in mind there are the Wesley Methodist also.. all Methodist are not the same/ i am gen Baptist but only preach the Bible. many denotations are not what they use to be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
i am gen Baptist but only preach the Bible.
I like that the general baptists affirm "The Baptist Confession of Faith" (Especially section 19 of that document) and that they did not affirm/promote/allow slavery in America but rather opposed it.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟379,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

Many denominations and churches stream their worship services. This is invaluable for finding a denomination and/or church that matches what you believe from the Bible. Online communities like this one are a great place to fellowship with people who share your beliefs. The conversation feature of this forum has been great for connecting with others and sharing studies. Discord is a popular platform for finding Christian communities and resources, which may then lead to finding a church, even an online one.

I went through something similar. I grew up in my current denomination, but left it before I became an adult. I didn't come back to Christianity for thirty years. When I did it was like starting over. I knew the beliefs I grew up on, but I had to read the Bible to make sure they were scripturally sound. I then had to vet my local denominational church to make sure it was teaching according to scripture, and there was no deviation.

It's not easy, and it may take some time. You may not find a church in your local area that meets your standards concerning scripture. You may have to find an online church. I do believe there is a church out there for you, you just have to find it.

One thing I would recommend is to not be closed to a disagreeable belief until you fully research it in scripture with an open mind.

God bless!

Upvote 0

ezra932

Jan 27, 2018
DONIPHAN
✟15,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like that the general baptists affirm "The Baptist Confession of Faith" (Especially section 19 of that document) and that they did not affirm/promote/allow slavery in America but rather opposed it.
dont guess i ever read it ..i am against slavery. its time to end the ugliness of the past

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
there are other Baptist and Pentecostals that believe you can lose it/walk away

Yes, that is true. I have an aunt that believes you can lose salvation. I'm not sure what denomination she considers herself; I know she attends multiple churches that are different denominations.

Upvote 0