Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I have been a Christian since I was 19(1986), and a Lutheran since 1988. So I have been through a 'New Member' class before. I was attending an ELCA congregation, until 1997. Then I made the switch to a LCMS congregation.

I am already going through the 'New Member' instruction with the Pastor. I have been able to see the recordings of services on their YouTube channel. The Pastor gave a Lutheran Service Book from the LCMS congregation to follow along with the video, for the parts of the service I don't have memorized. It just feels like it is taking longer than expected. I have already met with one of the Church Elders during one of the Pastor's visits.

Last edited:

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Interesting. I am not a Lutheran (yet, who knows were I'll end up) but after meeting with the Pastor was allowed to take part in the Lord's Supper. Membership hasn't been discussed only the theology of the Supper and what it means to discern the Body of our Lord. The local LCMS seems to be willing to fast track me due to my understanding of theology in general and my willingness to read the Book of Concord.

Will pray for you.

jm

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
How quickly a person is brought into membership varies with each pastor and congregation. At a LCMS parish an inquirer would normally be expected to attend the next upcoming catechism course usually lasting from seven to ten classes. Where when I was confirmed at my last ELS parish the lessons were held one on one with the pastor and I was offered to be received as a member after only two meetings with said pastor.

Upvote 0

Christopher Range

Oct 5, 2022
Pittsboro
✟21,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
How quickly a person is brought into membership varies with each pastor and congregation. At a LCMS parish an inquirer would normally be expected to attend the next upcoming catechism course usually lasting from seven to ten classes. Where when I was confirmed at my last ELS parish the lessons were held one on one with the pastor and I was offered to be received as a member after only two meetings with said pastor.
I know. Before I became member of my (ex)wife's previous ELCA congregation, Back in 1989. I went through the 'New Members' class. This time, it seems like it is taking a lot longer. I have already met with the Pastor, ten times at least, since last summer.

Upvote 0

Christopher Range

Oct 5, 2022
Pittsboro
✟21,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I know. The lessons have been one-on-one w/ the Pastor. Except for one week the Pastor brought one of the church Elders to meet me. Which the Pastor told me about weeks ahead of time.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm holding off membership in the local LCMS. I have envelopes for donations, attend every service they offer if I'm not working, willing to take on their social media and lift their presence in the area and promote the Divine Service for them but I haven't made the leap to be a member.

Upvote 0