Law and Commandment vs Grace and Mercy

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
How were the law (small l), the commands and regulations fulfilled? (put aside)
Read it again. Thanks.

Ephesians 2:14-16
For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.

Rom. 3:31,
Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Paul tells us the Law is established not deconstructed. It is established because it always pointed to the Cross of Christ that would take away the sins of the believer.

That was the purpose of the Law and still is, it pointed to Christ.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Just what it says and nothing more.
If you are concerned about the law, no worries. Through FAITH we "establish the law.
Not the other way around. We do not establish FAITH through the law.

That's not what I said Steven, lol.

You are twisting the scripture just as you do with UR.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the purpose of the Mosaic Law?

Answer:
The Mosaic Law was given specifically to the nation of Israel (Exodus 19; Leviticus 26:46; Romans 9:4). It was made up of three parts: the Ten Commandments, the ordinances, and the worship system, which included the priesthood, the tabernacle, the offerings, and the festivals (Exodus 20—40; Leviticus 1—7; 23). The purpose of the Mosaic Law was to accomplish the following:

(1) Reveal the holy character of the eternal God to the nation of Israel (Leviticus 19:2; 20:7–8).

(2) Set apart the nation of Israel as distinct from all the other nations (Exodus 19:5).

(3) Reveal the sinfulness of man (cf. Galatians 3:19). Although the Law was good and holy (Romans 7:12), it did not provide salvation for the nation of Israel. “No one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin” (Romans 3:20; cf. Acts 13:38–39).

(4) Provide forgiveness through the sacrifice/offerings (Leviticus 1—7) for the people who had faith in the Lord in the nation of Israel.

(5) Provide a way of worship for the community of faith through the yearly feasts (Leviticus 23).

(6) Provide God’s direction for the physical and spiritual health of the nation (Exodus 21—23; Deuteronomy 6:4–19; Psalm 119:97–104).

(7) Reveal to humanity that no one can keep the Law but everyone falls short of God’s standard of holiness. That realization causes us to rely on God’s mercy and grace. When Christ came, He fulfilled the Law and with His death paid the penalty for our breaking it (Galatians 3:24; Romans 10:4). By faith in Him, the believer has the very righteousness of Christ imputed to him.What is the purpose of the Mosaic Law? | GotQuestions.org

When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15)

“This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3). The Ten Commandments were essentially a summary of the entire Old Testament law. Nine of the Ten Commandments are clearly repeated in the New Testament (all except the command to observe the Sabbath day). Obviously, if we are loving God, we will not be worshiping false gods or bowing down before idols. If we are loving our neighbors, we will not be murdering them, lying to them, committing adultery against them, or coveting what belongs to them. The purpose of the Old Testament law is to convict people of our inability to keep the law and point us to our need for Jesus Christ as Savior (Romans 7:7-9; Galatians 3:24). The Old Testament law was never intended by God to be the universal law for all people for all of time. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we obey those two commands faithfully, we will be upholding all that God requires of us.

hope this helps !!!

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What is the purpose of the Mosaic Law?

Answer:
The Mosaic Law was given specifically to the nation of Israel (Exodus 19; Leviticus 26:46; Romans 9:4). It was made up of three parts: the Ten Commandments, the ordinances, and the worship system, which included the priesthood, the tabernacle, the offerings, and the festivals (Exodus 20—40; Leviticus 1—7; 23). The purpose of the Mosaic Law was to accomplish the following:

(1) Reveal the holy character of the eternal God to the nation of Israel (Leviticus 19:2; 20:7–8).

(2) Set apart the nation of Israel as distinct from all the other nations (Exodus 19:5).

(3) Reveal the sinfulness of man (cf. Galatians 3:19). Although the Law was good and holy (Romans 7:12), it did not provide salvation for the nation of Israel. “No one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin” (Romans 3:20; cf. Acts 13:38–39).

(4) Provide forgiveness through the sacrifice/offerings (Leviticus 1—7) for the people who had faith in the Lord in the nation of Israel.

(5) Provide a way of worship for the community of faith through the yearly feasts (Leviticus 23).

(6) Provide God’s direction for the physical and spiritual health of the nation (Exodus 21—23; Deuteronomy 6:4–19; Psalm 119:97–104).

(7) Reveal to humanity that no one can keep the Law but everyone falls short of God’s standard of holiness. That realization causes us to rely on God’s mercy and grace. When Christ came, He fulfilled the Law and with His death paid the penalty for our breaking it (Galatians 3:24; Romans 10:4). By faith in Him, the believer has the very righteousness of Christ imputed to him.What is the purpose of the Mosaic Law? | GotQuestions.org

When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15)

hope this helps !!!

Would you agree or disagree that through the knowledge of sin the Law provided, the inability to keep it, that the Law pointed to Christ as the only means of justification.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you agree or disagree that through the knowledge of sin the Law provided, the inability to keep it, that the Law pointed to Christ as the only means of justification.
As Paul said in Galatians it is our Tudor to lead us to Christ.

Galatians 3:24
New American Standard Bible
Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.

King James Bible
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Galatians 3:25
But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Do you understand that sometimes the term "the Law" is a reference to the Books of the Law and not the law itself?

Saint Steven said:
Part of the problem here is how we define the terms, "the law" and "the Law". (capital L)

The NIV translation helps us to better understand this by capitalizing the L and P when it refers to the Books of the Law and the Books of the Prophets. Examples below. Make special note of Romans 3:21, where the terms are used both ways, as "the law" and as "the Law and the Prophets". (the books)

John 1:45
Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

Acts 13:15
After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”

Romans 3:21
But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.

Indeed. What you're point?

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well, what do you think it means, then?

If you believe Jesus deconstructed the Law, then believe it.

I have shown you that the Law has been fulfilled and established as the means of pointing to justification in the Cross.

Here's something else that you have said you don't believe that pertains this conversation.

The Law is established because it will return in the Millennium Age as the prophets prophesied.

This is the completion of Gods plan for man, His perfect Law will be seen then in the Glory of Christ, and we in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you believe Jesus deconstructed the Law, then believe it.
The provocation was obvious. These weren't random events.

John 5:9
At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked. The day on which this took place was a Sabbath,

John 9:14
Now the day on which Jesus had made the mud and opened the man’s eyes was a Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's something else that you have said you don't believe that pertains this conversation.

The Law is established because it will return in the Millennium Age as the prophets prophesied.

This is the completion of Gods plan for man, His perfect Law will be seen then in the Glory of Christ, and we in Christ.
If the law didn't work the first time, how is it supposed to work for all eternity?

Hebrews 8:7, 13
7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. ...
13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If the law didn't work the first time, how is it supposed to work for all eternity?

Hebrews 8:7, 13
7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. ...
13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

It did work perfectly for what it was intended to do. It pointed t Christ.

What was wrong with the Law, the first covenant, Paul is pointing out (Paul did write Heb.) in the next chapter, it was based on animal blood.

There would have been no need to seek a second covenant if it had been based on Christ's blood. But the Law was necessary for man to see that he couldn't keep these laws in order to point him to Christ, the real sacrifice, the true blood that cleanses.

The Law is now obsolete, outdated because it was meant to be temporary. But in the next Age, it will return. This is why Paul says he establishes the Law.

The Law is outdated and replaced for this Age of Grace, but the next Age coming is a different dimension in Christ altogether.

• Agree
Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What was wrong with the Law, the first covenant, Paul is pointing out (Paul did write Heb.) in the next chapter, it was based on animal blood.

There would have been no need to seek a second covenant if it had been based on Christ's blood. But the Law was necessary for man to see that he couldn't keep these laws in order to point him to Christ, the real sacrifice, the true blood that cleanses.

The Law is now obsolete, outdated because it was meant to be temporary. But in the next Age, it will return. This is why Paul says he establishes the Law.

The Law is outdated and replaced for this Age of Grace, but the next Age coming is a different dimension in Christ altogether.
And we know the law was for the Jews/ Israel not for Gentiles. Paul rebukes Peter in Galatians 2 for living like a hypocrite

Galatians 2:14
But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, “If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?

Romans 2:16
on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

And the Council at Jerusalem Paul teaches them His Gospel that he was taught directly by Christ and makes his defense among the Jewish leaders and Peter supported him as their leader. Paul's gospel was the gospel of grace apart from the law to the gentiles.

Galatians 2:1-2
Then after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. 2 It was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles,

And Paul was a member of the Sanhedrin, a Jew of Jews, a Roman citizen and was transformed by Christ as a Christian. If anyone knew the Law it was Paul under Gamaliel . If anyone knew the grace of God it was Paul a former persecutor of the church. If anyone knew Greek philosophy it was Paul an expert.

Peter knew very well the knowledge and wisdom Jesus had bestowed upon him

2 Peter 3:15-16
Our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We agree for the most part, but my point is, if there is law, it will not be "the law" (old covenant law) being re-established.

• Agree
Reactions: Charlie24
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
We agree for the most part, but my point is, if there is law, it will not be "the law" (old covenant law) being re-established.

I agree, the OT Law has been fulfilled and forever established as the accomplishment of Christ that made our atonement possible.

The Law that I'm speaking of is the return of the sacrificial system, but not the same as it was under the Law of Moses. According to Isaiah, this will last for only 1000 years.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0