Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is a strong propensity among Anglo and Afro USA citizens to grossly overgeneralize in reference toLatinos intwo very important areas.

1. Racial
2. Sociological

First, the racial, Latinos are NOT a race. Latinos can be unmixed Black, Unmixed Native American, Unmixed European, Unmixed Asian, Mestizo, Mullato and other mixes.

Second and perhaps of far more serious social consequences is the notion that all Latinos share identical political agendas in the USA just as African Americans do. that is a totally bogus concept. Cubans are concerned with the Cuban island status while Mexican Americans are concerned with border issues between USA and Mexico. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans couldn't care less concerning both.

The consequences of tagging all Latinos as politically unified or sharing the same social attitudes can lead to these consequences:

1. Blaming all groups for regional problems involving one.

For example, we all know that Mexicans and USA AAs in the South West, especially in the Los Angeles area have social conflicts. Such conflicts are conveyed via letters to other persons in the East who then proceed to vent their anger on Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Dominicans and other Latino immigrants who have NOTHIG to do with those regional conflicts.

Illegal immigration issues in the South West are also generalized to all Latinos including Puerto Ricans who are USA born citizens and not immigrants.

This can lead to persecutions and discriminatory policies against Latino groups totally unaware as to why they are being targeted.

2. The racial classification issue is more of a ridiculous nuisance than anything else.
Persons of unmixed European descent tagged as non-white. Persons of unmixed black descent being tagged as OTHER. Persons of unmixed Amerindian descent tagged as neither or as nonwhite. Or persons PREDOMINANTLY belonging to any of such groups being denied the right to choose to identify with any of them because of being Latino.

Ironically, USA blacks reserve the right to ID with whomever they so choose regardless of ancestry.

Case in point? Obama.

Yes, this isn't as serious an issue as being burdened with whatever other Latino groups in the USA happen to-do regionally. But it does come across as discriminatory and smacks of systematic, institutionalized, racist persecution via an unjustifiable denial of heritage.

Last edited:

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a strong propensity among Anglo and Afro USA citizens to grossly overgeneralize in reference toLatinos intwo very important areas.

1. Racial
2. Socialogical

First, the racial, Latinos are NOT a race. Latinos can be unmixed Black, Unmixed Native American, Unmixed European, Unmixed Asian, Mestizo, Mullato and other mixes.

Second and perhaps of far more serious social consequences is the notion that all Latinos share identical political agendas in the USA just as African Americans do. that is a totally bogus concept. Cubans are concerned with the Cuban island status while Mexican Americans are concerned with border issues between USA and Mexico. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans couldn't care less concerning both.

The consequences of tagging all Latinos as politically unified or sharing the same social attitudes can lead to these consequences:

1. Blaming all groups for regional problems involving one.

For example, we all know that Mexicans and USA AAs in the South West, especially in the Los Angeles area have social conflicts. Such conflicts are conveyed via letters to other persons in the East who then proceed to vent their anger on Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Dominicans and other Latino immigrants who have NOTHIG to do with those regional conflicts.

Illegal immigration issues in the South West are also generalized to all Latinos including Puerto Ricans who are USA born citizens and not immigrants.

This can lead to persecutions and discriminatory policies against Latino groups totally unaware as to why they are being targeted.

2. The racial classification issue is more of a ridiculous nuisance than anything else.
Persons of unmixed European descent tagged as non-white. Persons of unmixed black descent being tagged as OTHER. Persons of unmixed Amerindian descent tagged as neither or as nonwhite. Or persons PREDOMINANTLY belonging to any of such groups being denied the right to choose to identify with any of them because of being Latino.

Ironically, USA blacks reserve the right to ID with whomever they so choose regardless of ancestry.

Case in point? Obama.

Yes, this isn't as serious an issue as being burdened with whatever other Latino groups in the USA happen to-do regionally. But it does come across as discriminatory and smacks of systematic, institutionalized, racist persecution via an unjustifiable denial of heritage.
you are all always saying that ........................................

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is a strong propensity among Anglo and Afro USA citizens to grossly overgeneralize
Lol.

32718_irony_metre.gif

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So what part of Catholic Catechism involves maliscious mockery of others?
I wasn't malicious, nor mocking. I was pointing out the inherent irony of complaining about a group you are over generalising "over generalising".

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't malicious, nor mocking. I was pointing out the inherent irony of complaining about a group you are over generalising "over generalising".

How does a series of meaningless ellipses do that might I ask?

Overgeneralizing? Not at all, what I point out are nationally-known trends that are regularly reported in the news media and commented about in the Net. I can offer literary and video evidence to support the conclusions I posted. Can you do the same with your negation that they are true? If indeed you can't, then yours is merely uninformed personal opinion.;

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How does a series of meaningless ellipses do that might I ask?

Overgeneralizing? Not at all, what I point out are nationally-known trends that are regularly reported in the news media and commented about in the Net. I can offer literary and video evidence to support the conclusions I posted. Can you do the same with your negation that they are true? If indeed you can't, then yours is merely uninformed personal opinion.;
Dude. You over generalised in your opening sentence.

• Agree
Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which means you haven't a leg to stand on.
Lol..no , I was tongue in cheek over generalizing..thus

Alithis said:

• Agree
Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lol..no , I was tongue in cheek over generalizing..thus

Alithis said:
So how does the ellipses convey overgeneralization?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still don't see it. Please note that I do not recall having made that ALWAYS comment you keep harping on. Also, please note that attempting to interject levity into a subject meant to be taken seriously and expecting a change from seriousness to levity is very unrealistic. If indeed you have counter-evidence to the assertions made-please provide it. If not then there is really nothing more to be said.
..no you didn't make it -i did ..oh never mind talk about wooosh factor lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"There is a strong propensity among Anglo and Afro USA citizens to grossly overgeneralize in reference toLatinos intwo very important areas."

This is an ironic statement, because it implies a critique on generalizations, and asserts the argument with a generalization.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"There is a strong propensity among Anglo and Afro USA citizens to grossly overgeneralize in reference toLatinos intwo very important areas."

This is an ironic statement, because it implies a critique on generalizations, and asserts the argument with a generalization.
I am not denying that it is a generalization.
Some generalizations are justified and some are patently idiotic.
Overgeneralizations are always idiotic.
The ones claiming that all Latinos are of one race are imbecilic with a strong touch of moronic as are those that imagine all Latinos having the same political and socio economic concerns.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If people are lumped together, then generalisations of the group as a whole is invariably made. Of course such generalisations will not be true in all cases and would likely be made based on the examples of the group that you are familiar with or the prejudices of your 'own' group.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If people are lumped together, then generalisations of the group as a whole is invariably made. Of course such generalisations will not be true in all cases and would likely be made based on the examples of the group that you are familiar with or the prejudices of your 'own' group.
There is absolutely no excuse to be tagging all Latinos from TWENTY different nations as Mestizos simply because the ones that are mostly visible in the USA SOUTHWEST are predominantly of that persuasion due to social economic reasons which forces that type of Mexican to immigrate to the USA. Apart from Mestizos there are more than 60 million pure native Americans in Latin America. There are millions of Sub Saharan Black Latinos. There are millions of Northern Europeans and southern European Latinos. There are millions of Asian Latinos. You seem to be attempting to justify stupidity in order to promote a very popular self-serving USA Anglo AA agenda.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There is absolutely no excuse to be tagging all Latinos from TWENTY different nations as Mestizos simply because the ones that are mostly visible in the USA SOUTHWEST are predominantly of that persuasion due to social economic reasons which forces that type of Mexican to immigrate to the USA. Apart from Mestizos there are more than 60 million pure native Americans in Latin America. There are millions of Sub Saharan Black Latinos. There are millions of Northern Europeans and southern European Latinos. There are millions of Asian Latinos. You seem to be attempting to justify stupidity in order to promote a very popular self-serving USA Anglo AA agenda.
What? Where is this post coming from? This seems to be directed at someone else entirely or at least I cannot see how it is related to what I wrote.

Firstly I am not American and I am aware of what you are saying and agree that it is ridiculous to think all Latinos are the same. I do however think it is a very human error especcially amongst those who lack a historical education.

Upvote 0