WV
✟15,563.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So, I watched an episode I Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown and did a little research and apparently Ethiopia has been on an upswing for the past 5 years and I've wanted to make a pilgrimage for the past 3 years and I keep coming back to the churches of Lalibela. I know it seems absurd considering Greece rn isn't much better and I go almost once a year but whatever. Anyway, next year I'd like to go. Anyone ever been? Any tips? Never been to Africa outside Egypt and Morocco.

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, I watched an episode I Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown and did a little research and apparently Ethiopia has been on an upswing for the past 5 years and I've wanted to make a pilgrimage for the past 3 years and I keep coming back to the churches of Lalibela. I know it seems absurd considering Greece rn isn't much better and I go almost once a year but whatever. Anyway, next year I'd like to go. Anyone ever been? Any tips? Never been to Africa outside Egypt and Morocco.
When I get the finances, I am planning on going as well. I actually thought the same thing you have ever since I became aware of Lalibela years ago

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I know of a congregation who have been wanting to make the trip for a few years.
I'll ask a few people to see if it is on the cards. Would likely be short notice as the Jerusalem pilgrimage was January 2014.

Upvote 0

St Herman's Ghost

Orthodoxy or Death
Aug 14, 2015
WV
✟15,563.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
When I get the finances, I am planning on going as well. I actually thought the same thing you have ever since I became aware of Lalibela years ago

That's awesome! The more research I do the more excited I get. I'm working on making some contacts there just in case. My union doesn't have as strong f presence in Africa as it does in North America and Europe unfortunately but I've made a couple headways. My only concern is how I would do without my medication. Trying to work on that too. Then again I really wish I could have it so another reason why I'm making contacts.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Just stay away from the Somali areas of Ethiopia. Learn a little Amharic (Ge'ez is the 'Latin' of Amharic) to be on the safe side.

I'm pretty sure most Somalis are well south/east of Lalibela, which is in the Amhara region in the north. Muslims are about 17% of the region as of the 2007 census (the latest one listed on Wiki), but probably not very many of those are ethnic Somalis. The census lists Amhara as 91.2% of the region, and most Amhara are Orthodox, though the remaining peoples are either evenly split between Christian and Muslim (like the Oromo), or solidly Muslim (like the Argobba). Most ethnic Somalis are in their own region in the east of the country and in the adjacent region of Dire Dawa (where they are 25% of the total population).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From my understanding, historically, in Ethiopia, they've been able to live side-by-side with the Muslims in peace? Would the 'Muslim problem' be something to take into consideration like in other African nations?
Yes and no.

Historically that would be the case. In the years after Somalia was initially created after colonialism there was an irredentist attempt at "Greater Somalia" which, thankfully, failed. Ethiopia did occupy a part of Somalia to take out the Islamic Courts Union in the late 2000's. Other than that relations between the two faiths are mostly peaceful.

Upvote 0