United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Actually, post #113 I addressed to no one-I simply threw it out there---

There was no Catholic church with a pope in Rome, with preconceived ideas, in charge until 1075. This is the same copout every false sect uses, "Everybody for 2000 years was wrong until my little group. We're the only ones with the real truth and blame it all on the Catholics."

-- http://catholicapologetics.info/apologetics/protestantism/origin.htm

ROMAN CATHOLICISM. The largest of the Christian denominations is the Roman Catholic church. As an institution it has existed since the 1st century AD...The name of the church is derived from its base in Rome and from a Greek term meaning "universal." The word Catholic refers to the wholeness of the church, and for many centuries the Roman church claimed to be the only true Christian denomination.(Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia © 1996)

ROMAN CATHOLICISM: Christian church characterized by its uniform, highly developed doctoral and organizational structure that traces its history to the apostles of Jesus Christ in the 1st century C.E. (Marriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of World Religions © 1999, page 938 )

The history of the Roman Church, therefore, in relation to the ancient oriental churches, is in fact, the history of this claim to supremacy. The claim of supremacy on the part of the bishop of Rome rests on the belief that Christ conferred on the apostle Peter a 'primacy of jurisdiction;' that Peter fixed his see and died at Rome and thus, that the bishops of Rome, as successors of the apostle Peter, have succeeded to his preorgatives of supremacy. In this light, historians read the facts of the early history of the church---and they trace to this acknoledgment of the superiority of that see, the numerous references to Rome on matters of doctrine or discipline; the appeals from other churhces, even those of Alexandria, Antioch, and Constantinople; the depositions or nominations of bishops, examination and condemnation of heresies---of which the first five centuries, especially the 4th and 5th, present examples. . . In all the controversies on the Incarnation---the Arian, the Nestorian, the Eutychian, the Monothelite---not only was the orthodoxy of Rome never impeached, but she even supplied at every crisis a rallying point for the orthodox of every church. ( Imperial Encyclopedia and Dictionary, Volume 32 © 1903)

That's exactly what I did and you evidently don't have a clue how to read the original languages.

LOL--who said I could!---That is why there are many websites available that do the translations from the original and you can find out just about anything.

You totally ignored my post now you want to dictate to me to address everything you said. I don't think so amigo. Why don't you go through that list of verses and explain what you think they prove.

I didn't start quoting your posts until Post #115----And what is there to explain about those verses? They seem to me pretty self explanatory.---And that I "amiga" ---

You seem to be hung up on some imaginary 14 year old boy. Guess you have never read Romans 4 and 5. About the middle of each chapter. I think you should be able to figure out what I'm talking about. Why don't you discuss something real? Did God destroy innocent children and infants in Sodom and Gomorrah and in the cities He commanded Israel to attack? A simple yes or no will suffice. I don't need a long dissertation

I already said God destroyed a whole world, not just Sodom and Gomorrah--and there were others--what is your point?? What does that have to do with being tormented in hell for ever and ever?? Actually, the imaginary boy could be younger --the age of accountability--and for some denominations that includes babies who are not baptized before they die. And if there is something about Romans 4 and 5 you wish me to know, then spit it out--I have no idea how they relate to everlasting torment in hell.---Keep it simple, I also do not need a long dissertation.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do not demand of me what you are unable or unwilling to do yourself.

I have no intention of ever "demand[ing]" anything of you. If when i point out what IMO are weaknesses in your positions, & you feel that demands have been placed on you, be assured that is only something you are placing on yourself. It is entirely up to you if you want to strengthen your arguments by such things as i mention. In due time i certainly intend to do so with mine, as the opportunity allows, Lord willing.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Only in your dreams has anything I said went down in flames. This is your usual copout when you are unable to address my posts. My post did exactly what you asked for. I showed you how Hebrew speaking Jewish scholars translated Olam in the LXX, "aionion,"

Having reviewed the posts i see how you arrived at that conclusion. Though actually what i was looking for were the original language words of Josephus such as were translated in your quote of him. And wondering how THEY are used in the Scriptures. But you never provided them. Here is my post in question:

I saw that while reading your post, though it was not pertinent to my point.
I don't consider a single English translation the primary source but merely an opinion of it. With Bible versions i can compare dozens of translations & easily find the words used in the original.
Extremely significant differences between Josephus' comments in your quote & the passages of Scriptures with the word "unquenchable" are that the latter never once use qualifiers such as "never-ceasing", "without end", etc, that Josephus does.
Was it necessary for Josephus to use such qualifiers because there were those, Scripture believing Jews and/or Christians, who held the view that passages where "unquenchable" occurs in Scripture do not support ECT?
It would be interesting to see what the original language words are for "without end". "never-ceasing", "eternal punishment", "destroying" etc, & if they are ever used in the Scriptures &, if so, in what context.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, post #113 I addressed to no one-I simply threw it out there---
-- http://catholicapologetics.info/apologetics/protestantism/origin.htm
ROMAN CATHOLICISM. The largest of the Christian denominations is the Roman Catholic church. As an institution it has existed since the 1st century AD...The name of the church is derived from its base in Rome and from a Greek term meaning "universal." The word Catholic refers to the wholeness of the church, and for many centuries the Roman church claimed to be the only true Christian denomination.(Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia © 1996)
ROMAN CATHOLICISM: Christian church characterized by its uniform, highly developed doctoral and organizational structure that traces its history to the apostles of Jesus Christ in the 1st century C.E. (Marriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of World Religions © 1999, page 938 )
The history of the Roman Church, therefore, in relation to the ancient oriental churches, is in fact, the history of this claim to supremacy. The claim of supremacy on the part of the bishop of Rome rests on the belief that Christ conferred on the apostle Peter a 'primacy of jurisdiction;' that Peter fixed his see and died at Rome and thus, that the bishops of Rome, as successors of the apostle Peter, have succeeded to his preorgatives of supremacy. In this light, historians read the facts of the early history of the church---and they trace to this acknoledgment of the superiority of that see, the numerous references to Rome on matters of doctrine or discipline; the appeals from other churhces, even those of Alexandria, Antioch, and Constantinople; the depositions or nominations of bishops, examination and condemnation of heresies---of which the first five centuries, especially the 4th and 5th, present examples. . . In all the controversies on the Incarnation---the Arian, the Nestorian, the Eutychian, the Monothelite---not only was the orthodoxy of Rome never impeached, but she even supplied at every crisis a rallying point for the orthodox of every church. ( Imperial Encyclopedia and Dictionary, Volume 32 © 1903)
Of course the RCC claims the office of pope goes back to Peter but non-RCC history tells a different story. In 1075 the bishop of Rome issued 27 “Dictatus Papae”, Dictates of the Pope. If the bishop of Rome had all this authority there would have been no need for this decree.
Gregory VII Dictatus Papae, The Dictates of the Pope
2. That the Roman pontiff alone can with right be called universal.
3. That he alone can depose or reinstate bishops.

8. That he alone may use the imperial insignia.
9. That of the pope alone all princes shall kiss the feet.
10. That his name alone shall be spoken in the churches.
11. That his is the only name in the world.
12. That it may be permitted to him to depose emperors.
13. That the Roman pontiff alone can with right be called universal.
Cal State Univ Northridge
http://www.csun.edu/~hcfll004/dict_pap.html
http://www.britannica.com/topic/Dictatus-papae
http://www.encyclopedia.com/article-1G2-3407703233/dictatus-papae.html
West Oregon
http://www.wou.edu/history/files/2015/08/Christopher-Perkins1.pdf
Mich State
LOL--who said I could!---That is why there are many websites available that do the translations from the original and you can find out just about anything.
That’s right anyone is free to cherry pick sources and find a version which says what they want to hear. But someone has to have had translated the version from the original languages and the reader is at the mercy of the translator.
I didn't start quoting your posts until Post #115----And what is there to explain about those verses? They seem to me pretty self explanatory.---And that I "amiga" ---
Yes verses can be self explanatory but when taken out-of-context a verse can be understood to say something it does not say. For example Psalm 37 which many people quote out-of-context to prove annihilation But when read in context it is not about man’s eternal fate but what God does to Israel’s enemies in this world.
I already said God destroyed a whole world, not just Sodom and Gomorrah--and there were others--what is your point?? What does that have to do with being tormented in hell for ever and ever?? Actually, the imaginary boy could be younger --the age of accountability--and for some denominations that includes babies who are not baptized before they die. And if there is something about Romans 4 and 5 you wish me to know, then spit it out--I have no idea how they relate to everlasting torment in hell.---Keep it simple, I also do not need a long dissertation.
Did you even read the two passages?
Romans 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
Romans 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Romans 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes verses can be self explanatory but when taken out-of-context a verse can be understood to say something it does not say. For example Psalm 37 which many people quote out-of-context to prove annihilation But when read in context it is not about man’s eternal fate but what God does to Israel’s enemies in this world.

The enemies of the Lord are only Israel's enemies???? And only Israelites shall inherit the earth?

Psa 37:10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
Psa 37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
Psa 37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
Psa 37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.

Nope---not taken out of context one bit.

Romans 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is,
there is no transgression.
Romans 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Romans 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Yah--I read them---I just couldn't find what any of Romans 4 and 5 had to do with eternal torment. And guess what? Now that you have narrowed the verses down--I still don't!!

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The enemies of the Lord are only Israel's enemies???? And only Israelites shall inherit the earth?
Psa 37:10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
Psa 37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
Nope---not taken out of context one bit.
Yep, that's the same out-of-context verses all the "Hell, no!" crowd quotes. Now let's add a little more context. First, vs. 10 who is God addressing in this psalm? Israelites in this life. "thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be" The wicked dead have no place in paradise and Israel can't see into paradise, they can only see what is or is not in this world. So Israel's immediate enemies are no longer in the place they were in this life.
Psalms 37:1-2
(1) A Psalm of David. Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
(2) For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.
This Psalm is not about man's eternal fate but what happens to Israel's enemies in this life. They will be cut down like grass and wither like green plants. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:9-10
9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
Evildoers cut off like flowers and green plants, vs. 2. Israel cannot see into eternity but they can see their enemies are no longer around to attack them. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:14-15
(14) The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright conversation.
(15) Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.
The wicked will not be in paradise and certainly will not have bows and swords there! They attack Israel with the sword and bow but their sword will pierce their own heart and their bow broken. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the LORD upholdeth the righteous.
The arms of the wicked are broken. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
The wicked will consume away into smoke, in this world.
Psalms 37:22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.
Those who are cursed by God will be cut off like flowers, wither like green plants, in this world., vs. 2. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:28 For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
Psalms 37:34 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.
Psalms 37:36 Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.
Psalms 37:38 But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.
The wicked will be cut off like flowers, wither like green plants, vs. 2. Israel cannot see into paradise but they can see what happens to their enemies in this world. That is not annihilation.
mmksparbud said:
Yah--I read them---I just couldn't find what any of Romans 4 and 5 had to do with eternal torment. And guess what? Now that you have narrowed the verses down--I still don't!!
I have always found it helpful to actually read a post before responding to it. Your comment;
That in no way means He is judging that 14 year old boy to the same forever punishment as Hitler--everlasting torment.
My response: You seem to be hung up on some imaginary 14 year old boy. Guess you have never read Romans 4 and 5. About the middle of each chapter. I can draw you a picture if you still don't understand.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no intention of ever "demand[ing]" anything of you. If when i point out what IMO are weaknesses in your positions, & you feel that demands have been placed on you, be assured that is only something you are placing on yourself. It is entirely up to you if you want to strengthen your arguments by such things as i mention. In due time i certainly intend to do so with mine, as the opportunity allows, Lord willing.
You did not quote Josephus in the original Greek so do NOT suggest, request, demand etc. that I do so until you have done that yourself!
Having reviewed the posts i see how you arrived at that conclusion. Though actually what i was looking for were the original language words of Josephus such as were translated in your quote of him. And wondering how THEY are used in the Scriptures. But you never provided them. Here is my post in question:
"wondering how THEY are used in the Scriptures. But you never provided them." I quoted from the OT twice how the words were used. I quoted the original Hebrew, the 225 BC Greek LXX and the 1917 JPS English translation. The Hebrew words were "olam ed," Greek, "aionion eis epi," English, "for ever and ever. "
I don't consider a single English translation the primary source but merely an opinion of it. With Bible versions i can compare dozens of translations & easily find the words used in the original.
"I don't consider a single English translation the primary source" Right! Unless you are the one doing the quoting then you copy/paste whatever appears to support your assumptions/presuppositions.
Extremely significant differences between Josephus' comments in your quote & the passages of Scriptures with the word "unquenchable" are that the latter never once use qualifiers such as "never-ceasing", "without end", etc, that Josephus does.
Was it necessary for Josephus to use such qualifiers because there were those, Scripture believing Jews and/or Christians, who held the view that passages where "unquenchable" occurs in Scripture do not support ECT?
Read my quotes from the Jewish Encyclopedia and the Talmud. Feel free to look up the original languages, which OBTW are available online. Oh wait you will not do that, your primary source is tentmaker.
It would be interesting to see what the original language words are for "without end". "never-ceasing", "eternal punishment", "destroying" etc, & if they are ever used in the Scriptures &, if so, in what context.
If someone was really interested in the truth they could have done this already.
1917 JPS Isaiah 45:17 But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.
Isa 45:17 Ισραηλ σῴζεται ὑπὸ κυρίου σωτηρίαν αἰώνιον· [aionion] οὐκ αἰσχυνθήσονται οὐδὲ μὴ ἐντραπῶσιν ἕως τοῦ αἰῶνος.[tou aionios]
Isa 45:17
ישׂראל נושׁע ביהוה תשׁועת עולמים לא־תבשׁו ולא־תכלמו עד־עולמי עד׃
תשׁועת עולמים=teshuah olamim עד־עולמי =ed-olami

Ephesians 3:21 unto him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus unto all generations for ever and ever. Amen.
Eph 3:21 αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα ἐν τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ καὶ ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ
εἰς πάσας τὰς γενεὰς τοῦ αἰῶνος τῶν αἰώνων· [eis pasa tas geneas tou aionos ton ainon] ἀμήν.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yep, that's the same out-of-context verses all the "Hell, no!" crowd quotes. Now let's add a little more context. First, vs. 10 who is God addressing in this psalm? Israelites in this life. "thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be" The wicked dead have no place in paradise and Israel can't see into paradise, they can only see what is or is not in this world. So Israel's immediate enemies are no longer in the place they were in this life.
Psalms 37:1-2
(1) A Psalm of David. Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
(2) For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.
This Psalm is not about man's eternal fate but what happens to Israel's enemies in this life. They will be cut down like grass and wither like green plants. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:9-10
9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
Evildoers cut off like flowers and green plants, vs. 2. Israel cannot see into eternity but they can see their enemies are no longer around to attack them. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:14-15
(14) The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright conversation.
(15) Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.
The wicked will not be in paradise and certainly will not have bows and swords there! They attack Israel with the sword and bow but their sword will pierce their own heart and their bow broken. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the LORD upholdeth the righteous.
The arms of the wicked are broken. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
The wicked will consume away into smoke, in this world.
Psalms 37:22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.
Those who are cursed by God will be cut off like flowers, wither like green plants, in this world., vs. 2. That is not annihilation.
Psalms 37:28 For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
Psalms 37:34 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.
Psalms 37:36 Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.
Psalms 37:38 But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.
The wicked will be cut off like flowers, wither like green plants, vs. 2. Israel cannot see into paradise but they can see what happens to their enemies in this world. That is not annihilation.

I have always found it helpful to actually read a post before responding to it. Your comment;

My response: You seem to be hung up on some imaginary 14 year old boy. Guess you have never read Romans 4 and 5. About the middle of each chapter. I can draw you a picture if you still don't understand.

You poor thing---There are 40 verses----not one mentions Israel. Hate to tell you this, but the wicked are not only those who are against Israel!

Romans 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is,
there is no transgression.

OK---You keep mentioning this and you will have to draw me a picture of how this has anything to do with an everlasting burning hell. I've read about 5 times now----don't see what the "blazes" you're getting at.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You poor thing---There are 40 verses----not one mentions Israel. Hate to tell you this, but the wicked are not only those who are against Israel!
Who read the Psalms, and the rest of the T'nakh[OT], for about 500 years before any gentiles ever saw it?
OK---You keep mentioning this and you will have to draw me a picture of how this has anything to do with an everlasting burning hell. I've read about 5 times now----don't see what the "blazes" you're getting at.
It is not up to me to decide who does or does not get punished. But if that imaginary 14 year old had never heard the law, no sin is imputed. And I'm sure God makes allowances for youth and immaturity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
LOL!!! ---The entire OT is only for the Jews only!!-----The mixed multitude that came with the Jews! And anyone else who followed their God! That's who it was for--and still is.
I'm not talking about imaginary boys who never heard the law---I'm talking about imaginary boys who did and are considered sinners before God.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You did not quote Josephus in the original Greek so do NOT suggest, request, demand etc. that I do so until you have done that yourself!

I'll just keep doing what i have been, pointing out:

1. English translations are not primary sources.
2. Asking who translated them, the ECT biased RCC?
3. Bible versions have many translations, but you provide just a single translation of your extra biblical sources.
4. As such they are just an opinion, not excathedra
5. Asking what the original words are, especially key words that have been rendered "eternal" etc
6. Claiming they are poor translations, which i believe they are
7. etc etc etc

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"wondering how THEY are used in the Scriptures. But you never provided them." I quoted from the OT twice how the words were used.

I don't need you to tell me how the words Josephus used were used in a couple Scripture passages, as i can look that up myself once i have the words Josephus used. Do you even know what they are?

What are the original words for Josephus words from your quote
for the following words of Josephus:

1. "without end"
2. "never ceasing"
3. "eternal punishment"
4. "destroying"

Again, for your easy reference, here is what i posted & asked of you [NOT scripture passages], which you never answered:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL!!! ---The entire OT is only for the Jews only!!-----The mixed multitude that came with the Jews! And anyone else who followed their God! That's who it was for--and still is.
That is partly correct the OT was for Israel. So that is who Psalm 37 was addressed to and as I have shown was not about mankind's eternal fate but what happened to Israel's enemies in this life.
I'm not talking about imaginary boys who never heard the law---I'm talking about imaginary boys who did and are considered sinners before God.
Knowing who is a sinner before God and what happens to them is not in my wheel house. I render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
That is partly correct the OT was for Israel. So that is who Psalm 37 was addressed to and as I have shown was not about mankind's eternal fate but what happened to Israel's enemies in this life.

Knowing who is a sinner before God and what happens to them is not in my wheel house. I render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's

Sorry--but The whole bible is written for all of God's followers!! You are of course, free to believe your delusions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll just keep doing what i have been, pointing out:
1. English translations are not primary sources.
2. Asking who translated them, the ECT biased RCC?
3. Bible versions have many translations, but you provide just a single translation of your extra biblical sources.
4. As such they are just an opinion, not excathedra
5. Asking what the original words are, especially key words that have been rendered "eternal" etc
6. Claiming they are poor translations, which i believe they are
7. etc etc etc
1. If English translations are not primary sources why is that the only thing you quote? And most of those 2nd-3rd hand from tentmaker or some other biased, unqualified source.
2. Who translated the info that you post? Biased, unqualified websites?
3. But you don't bother with "who translated them" with anything you quote. What I see, as I said, quotes from tentmaker, city-data.forums, and blogs. Real reliable sources!
4. As such everything you post is just an opinion, not excathedra.
5. But you don't ask what the original words are, especially key words that have been rendered "eternal" etc. in anything you quote.
6. What makes you qualified to decide some things are poor translations. Do you know how to locate a Hebrew verb or parse a Greek verb? Do you even know what I just said?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry--but The whole bible is written for all of God's followers!! You are of course, free to believe your delusions.
You are the one who said otherwise and I did not agree completely with you. Romans 1:16 You are correct the whole Bible is "for" all believers but the whole Bible is not "to" all believers. And you don't appear to recognize that distinction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
1. If English translations are not primary sources why is that the only thing you quote? And most of those 2nd-3rd hand from tentmaker or some other biased, unqualified source.
2. Who translated the info that you post? Biased, unqualified websites?
3. But you don't bother with "who translated them" with anything you quote. What I see, as I said, quotes from tentmaker, city-data.forums, and blogs. Real reliable sources!
4. As such everything you post is just an opinion, not excathedra.
5. But you don't ask what the original words are, especially key words that have been rendered "eternal" etc. in anything you quote.
6. What makes you qualified to decide some things are poor translations. Do you know how to locate a Hebrew verb or parse a Greek verb? Do you even know what I just said?

Fair enough, though here is one i gave you before which you ignored:

"Adolph Deissman gives this account: "Upon a lead tablet found in the Necropolis at Adrumetum in the Roman province of Africa, near Carthage, the following inscription, belonging to the early third century, is scratched in Greek: 'I am adjuring Thee, the great God, the eonian, and more than eonian (epaionion) and almighty...' If by eonian, endless time were meant, then what could be more than endless time?" "

http://www.tentmaker.org/books/asw/Chapter9.html

"...The tablet, as is shown not only by its place of origin (the Necropolis of Adrumetum belongs to the second and third centuries, A.D. ; the part in which the tablet was found is fixed in the third), but also by the character of the lettering, is to be assigned to the third century, that is to determine it by a date in the history of the Greek Bible about the time of Origen." [page 275ff]

https://ia800300.us.archive.org/4/items/biblestudiescon00deisuoft/biblestudiescon00deisuoft.pdf

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't need you to tell me how the words Josephus used were used in a couple Scripture passages, as i can look that up myself once i have the words Josephus used. Do you even know what they are?
Do you even know what Greek words Josephus used in your 2nd-3rd hand quote.
You don't know what Greek words Josephus used in what you quoted so why ask me?
What are the original words for Josephus words from your quote
for the following words of Josephus:
1. "without end"
2. "never ceasing"
3. "eternal punishment"
4. "destroying"
You first.
Again, for your easy reference, here is what i posted & asked of you [NOT scripture passages], which you never answered:
You didn't bother with any of this when you quoted Josephus 2nd-3rd hand. Maybe that horse is too high for you. Perhaps you should check what I posted where the qualifiers were.
And again you weren't concerned with any of this when you quoted Josephus 2nd-3rd hand from a tertiary source.
OT scripture where aionion is associated with a qualifier.

JPS Isaiah 45:17 O Israel, that art saved by the LORD with an everlasting salvation; ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.
Isa 45:17 Ισραηλ σῴζεται ὑπὸ κυρίου σωτηρίαν αἰώνιον· [aionion] οὐκ αἰσχυνθήσονται οὐδὲ μὴ ἐντραπῶσιν ἕως τοῦ αἰῶνος. [tou aionis]
Isa 45:17
ישׂראל נושׁע ביהוה תשׁועת עולמים לא־תבשׁו ולא־תכלמו עד־עולמי עד׃
* עולמים =olamim, עד־עולמי עד׃ = ad olami ad
JPS Psalms 45:17 (45:18) I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations; therefore shall the peoples praise thee for ever and ever.
Psa 45:17 (44:18) μνησθήσονται τοῦ ὀνόματός σου ἐν πάσῃ γενεᾷ [pas genea] καὶ γενεᾷ· διὰ τοῦτο λαοὶ ἐξομολογήσονταί σοι εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα καὶ εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα τοῦ αἰῶνος. [eis ton aiona tou aionos]
Psa 45:17 (45:18)
אזכירה שׁמך בכל־דר ודר על־כן עמים יהודך לעלם ועד׃
לעלם ועד=l'olam w'ad, בכל־דר=b'kol dar

Last edited:
Upvote 0