L.G.B.T. Students in Oregon Were Bullied and Forced to Read Bible, Report Says

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
L.G.B.T. Students in Oregon Were Bullied and Forced to Read Bible, Report Says
In the hallways of a rural Oregon high school, gay and lesbian students were taunted with homophobic slurs. In the cafeteria, students pelted a transgender student with food. And when gay and lesbian students got into trouble, the school’s principal assigned a specific punishment just for them: readings from the Bible.

Students detailed those allegations in recent state investigative reports into the North Bend School District, a coastal area about 100 miles north of California. In the reports, gay and lesbian high school students described years of harassment and bigotry from school employees and other students, and a deeply religious culture that silenced their complaints.

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Dang. That's terrible. The kids who were doing the bullying are the ones who need to read the Bible. Forcing anybody to read it, treating it like a punishment, is counterproductive though.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Dang. That's terrible. The kids who were doing the bullying are the ones who need to read the Bible. Forcing anybody to read it, treating it like a punishment, is counterproductive though.
Besides the unconstitutional nature of the school, If anything, they simply push these kids further away from religion if they force them to read the Bible as punishment.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Besides the unconstitutional nature of the school, If anything, they simply push these kids further away from religion if they force them to read the Bible as punishment.

Oh for sure. It's counterproductive.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree that that was wrong. All of us have been born wrong, in sin; and we need to not look down on anyone else, but receive how our Heavenly Father corrects us so we become able to know how to love each and every person. But we do need to know right from wrong, so we don't do what is wrong, ourselves.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Administration should be working to prevent bullying of any kind...and it certainly sounds like they failed in this case

As for being forced to read the bible as punishment...the principal has clearly violated their civil rights.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0