Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The KJV adds words to the bible and changes things.

For example, there is a phrase in the OT that reads "Let the king live!" but because of the cultural influence of the KJV translators they render this "God save the king", a popular British phrase.

Is that the phrase the Holy Spirit actually intended? Obviously not.

1 Samuel 8 would agree!

Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Nope. But those that I have debated lately regarding belief in a flat Earth are KJVO. Is there a correlation?

No there is not , and frankly the title of the Thread is offensive. KJO folks are ( from the ones I have known in person and on the web ) , are folks who are trying to keep the church from going downhill without brakes.

{ I thought it came from a 'liberal' when I saw the title. If you are not a 'liberal .. okay fine. Liberalism / 'anything goes' is a much bigger problem in Christianity than are folks who hold fast to a particular version ( one that has all the verses still intact ! ) }

Isaiah 40:22 says the earth is a circle. IF someone in the KJO camp actually told you the earth is flat --- then tell them to read Is. 40:22 ! { And/or if they know anyone who has served in The Navy / M.C. / Coast Guard ... ask them if they ever fell over the edge ... }

Btw - I'm not a strict "KJO" as some of them would define the term. I'm more of a ( Authorized Version ) "K.J. Best " { I use my Strong's Concordance , and I have contributed to the T.B.S. so they can print Bibles/N.T.s / Tracts in many foreign languages. Some/Many KJO's do not. }

Upvote 0

JesusTaxiExpress

Oct 4, 2014
Buffalo, NY
✟8,632.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The KJV adds words to the bible and changes things.

For example, there is a phrase in the OT that reads "Let the king live!" but because of the cultural influence of the KJV translators they render this "God save the king", a popular British phrase.

Is that the phrase the Holy Spirit actually intended? Obviously not.

So, are you saying we should not use the KJV because it contains words that are not God's Word ?

And, if so...Should we then be reading a version before the KJV ?

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Isaiah 40:22 says the earth is a circle. IF someone in the KJO camp actually told you the earth is flat --- then tell them to read Is. 40:22 ! { And/or if they know anyone who has served in The Navy / M.C. / Coast Guard ... ask them if they ever fell over the edge ... }

Isa. 40:22. It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in: (KJV)

Isa. 40:22. It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,
and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
and spreads them like a tent to live in; (NRSV)

This verse does NOT say that the earth is a circle! It says that the LORD sits upon the circle of the earth—the dome over the flat earth that had, before the Genesis flood, separated the oceans from the mass of water above the dome:

Gen. 6:6. And God said, “Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.”
7. So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so.
8. God called the dome Sky. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
9. And God said, “Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.” And it was so.
10. God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good. (NRSV)

Gen. 7:11. In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened.
12. The rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights. (NRSV)

Moreover, only a flat earth has four corners:

Isa. 11:12. He will raise a signal for the nations,
and will assemble the outcasts of Israel,
and gather the dispersed of Judah
from the four corners of the earth. (NRSV)

Rev.7:1. After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth so that no wind could blow on earth or sea or against any tree. (NRSV)

The literal four corners of the earth in the Bible gave rise to today’s popular expression.

Furthermore, Jesus was able to see all the kingdoms of the world from “a very high mountain.” This would have been impossible on a spherical earth:

Matt. 4:8. Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor; (NRSV)

Notice also that the KJV fails to translate the poetical parts of Isaiah as poetry, but crudely translates all of it as prose!

Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Wow - "Princeton guy" ... Your post just verified why good Bible-believers such as Dr. J. Gresham Machen & friends left Princeton and founded Westminster Theological Seminary in Philly. When scripture is questioned and/or insulted , it is a definite sign of 'liberalism'.

A "Baptist" is normally someone who has been 'Fully-immersed' after making a verbal or written confession of faith in The Lord Jesus Christ. Normally 'Baptists' love the Bible ... because they are usually the kinds of folks that are "Born-again' by real faith , not just a family coercion. { Such as most of the Mainline / Pedo-baptists do to their children and they often drop out of Church as soon as they leave home. }

A Born-again Christian is guided by God The Holy Ghost , and He is the author of the scriptures. A blood-bought , born-again , blessed-hope Christian should trust what the scriptures say --- not try to cast doubts upon the best translation ever put on paper. It says much about you that you have attacked & insulted the venerable Authorized Version , which has stood the test of time for countless Christians for centuries now. Virtually all reference titles are keyed to the A.V.. Thousands ( millions ? ) of people have memorized many portions from the A.V. --- something impossible to do with 'modern versions'.

What kind of 'baptist' guy pecks at the truth of A.V. ... {[ Probably the finest piece of English language ever put in print form... ]} ... by using and quoting from the wretched gender-bender NRSV trash-o-matic version ?!?

L.D.S. Mormons & Modernists question the veracity of the A.V. , but normally 'Baptist' folks appreciate the God-honoring wording and phrasing of the A.V.. If you do not want to read the A.V. , then try the Geneva Bible or the Coverdale. No gender-bender garbage language and God is exalted as the thrice Holy God of Is. 6.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,018.00
Faith
Baptist
It says much about you that you have attacked & insulted the venerable Authorized Version.

I am a conservative, evangelical Baptist who knows the difference between poetry and prose. Therefore, I appreciate translators of the Old Testament who know enough about the Hebrew language and the literature in that language to recognize poetry when they see it. It is exceedingly unfortunate that the translators of the KJV did not have that knowledge, and that their insufficient knowledge of the Hebrew language resulted in a plethora of absurd and nonsensical interpretations of the inspired word of God.

A 1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom is currently for sale for 295,000 British Pound Sterling ($476,729).

1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-593711

However, this absolutely magnificent motor car is an antique, and for a little more than half the price a 2014 Bentley Mulsanne can be purchased by a driver who desirers to have a motor car that features the very latest marvels in engineering, convenience, comfort, and craftsmanship—and a speed of 184 mph. (Not bad for a motor car that weighs almost three tons!).

Bentley Motors Website: Models: Mulsanne: Mulsanne: Model Features: Performance

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,018.00
Faith
Baptist
I'm KJB Only and I believe the earth is a sphere shape. Isaiah 40:22. None of my friends believe the earth is flat.

Isaiah 40:22 does NOT say that the earth a sphere shape! It says that the LORD sits upon the circle of the earth—the dome over the flat earth that had, before the Genesis flood, separated the oceans from the mass of water above the dome:

Gen. 6:6. And God said, “Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.”
7. So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so.
8. God called the dome Sky. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
9. And God said, “Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.” And it was so.
10. God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good. (NRSV)

Please see post 204 for further documentation.

Upvote 0