Kissing Marriage Goodbye

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Try looking at Christ's Sanctified Holy Church instead. They are the only Trinitarian Sola Scriptura church I know that is relatively descent in size that believes that salvation is by "God's Grace Through Faith + Works of Faith."

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are there testimonies of Christians who believe all future sin is paid for who walk in faithful obedience to God's commands?

Most of the time, I hear OSAS Proponents tell me how they can sin and still be saved (on some level) and that we can never overcome sin in this life. But that is just my experience on talking about the topic for many years on various different forums and with people in person.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
See I think his problem was that he sought to provide "biblical" instruction on dating while missing the gospel, which alone has the power to change sinful hearts to faithful obedience.
I didn't read the book, so I don't know if he was missing the Gospel personally. That's a serious charge to make, so it's not one I will make lightly.

But there were plenty of kids I knew personally who DID have the Gospel, and bought into his system either fully or partially anyway. And that is what did the real damage in Christian dating culture. His book was a book you didn't have to read in order to be negatively affected by.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are there testimonies of Christians who believe all future sin is paid for who walk in faithful obedience to God's commands?

Yes. Knowing that all our sins are paid for is the only way to walk in true faithful obedience. Any other kind of obedience is motivated by hope for reward or fear of punishment - not love for God. Such obedience is not obedience at all and will be condemned by the Lord.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One has to prove that he no longer believed in the gospel message that his church espoused. No such indication is given. He is leaving on the grounds of going to school and not on a difference of Soteriology.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Knowing that all our sins are paid for is the only way to walk in true faithful obedience. Any other kind of obedience is motivated by hope for reward or fear of punishment - not love for God. Such obedience is not obedience at all and will be condemned by the Lord.

Well, I do not want to go off topic, but the Bible does not teach future sin is forgiven a person. If such were the case, then why would one have to confess sin in order to be forgiven of sin if all future sin was forgiven?

The Bible says work out your salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).
Jesus says that the servant who was good and faithful over a few things and he was able to enter into the joy of his Lord and be ruler over many things (Matthew 25:21), and the unprofitable servant was cast into outer darkness (Matthew 25:30).
So things are not as you say.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well, I do not want to go off topic, but the Bible does not teach future sin is forgiven a person. If such were the case, then why would one have to confess sin in order to be forgiven of sin if all future sin was forgiven?

The Bible says work out your salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).
Jesus says that the servant who was good and faithful over a few things and he was able to enter into the joy of his Lord and be ruler over many things (Matthew 25:21), and the unprofitable servant was cast into outer darkness (Matthew 25:30).
So things are not as you say.

You have a funny way of reading the Bible, Jason.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Again, his views have not changed.

Joshua Harris states, I quote:

"I think that one of the mistakes of people like me who have come out a very conservative, legalistic environment is [they can] just adopt a new legalism in a completely different way, and be very dismissive and critical of people who are still in that way of thinking."

He thought legalism was what he was teaching that harmed others. But throwing a person who accepts the wrong kind of gospel message that says future sin is forgiven you is going to lead them to improperly teach basic morality correctly. There is no true discernment on basic morality if one thinks they can sin and still be saved (by telling others future sin is forgiven them - thereby giving them a license to sin).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have a funny way of reading the Bible, Jason.

You mean, just reading and believing ithe Bible plainly?

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

I believe that verse, and I do not seek to alter it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Again, his views have not changed.

Joshua Harris states, I quote:

"I think that one of the mistakes of people like me who have come out a very conservative, legalistic environment is [they can] just adopt a new legalism in a completely different way, and be very dismissive and critical of people who are still in that way of thinking."

He thought legalism was what he was teaching that harmed others. But throwing a person who accepts the wrong kind of gospel message that says future sin is forgiven you is going to lead them to improperly teach basic morality correctly. There is no true discernment on basic morality if one thinks they can sin and still be saved (by telling others future sin is forgiven them - thereby giving them a license to sin).

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You mean, just reading and believing ithe Bible plainly?

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

I believe that verse, and I do not seek to alter it.

No. I mean straining out a gnat but swallowing a camel.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. I mean straining out a gnat but swallowing a camel.

No. Again, you are not dealing with Philippians 2:12 in what it says plainly.
Why all the trembling if it is not talking about fear?

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Joshua Harris - former mega-pastor and author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye - announced Thursday that he and his wife are separating.

The Author of a Wildly Popular Manifesto on Abstinence Before Marriage Is Separating From His Wife

This comes at a time when the "purity culture" of the 90s and 2000s is under intense criticism and there's a growing population of "exvangelicals". It appears that American Evangelicalism is in a bad way right now.

I think that these exvangelicals reject too much. They end up landing in a place that does not at all resemble the religion of Jesus. This is what happens when the gospel is reduced to a particular moral message. The message of purity culture was "be good". When sinners found this to be unworkable they ended up rejecting Christianity altogether.

Its sad to as This is adultery if they get remarried, its to sad to see. I pray they pray on it and stay together after all.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what all the crowing is about. Woo hoo! Someone I disagree with is struggling! That means I win!

The whole thing is sad - both the separation and the reaction to it. And it says nothing one way or the other about who is right and who is wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Thir7ySev3n
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't follow.
As per your OP, this Code Of Conduct nonsense reduces Christianity from an organized body of religious doctrines to a matter of personal conduct.

As a point of reference, those "chastity pledges" people took back in the day are an example of what I mean.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well... at best I feel that Josh was targeted and is somewhat confused.

To me this says more about the flawed structures of the church failing to see the need for a support structure effective for those who rise to prominence.

The fact that abstinence before marriage is not easy to attain too, does not make it wrong.

Culture powerfully presents fleshly gratification as a 'cure all' for of life's issues. This is the antithesis of the Word of Jesus who made us and knows how we were designed to live.

33 years and 5 children later Sandi and I are seriously bonded together in Jesus having never dated, and committed to each other in 3 days, engaged in 3 weeks, married in 3 months. This all came about from a sovereign Word from above that we, as pretty much strangers, should marry.

Mind you this was in response to years of prayer being stored up in a heavenly bottle and at the right time being poured out.

I pray for Josh and I hope that he can be enveloped by loving supportive brothers and sisters so that he can be healed and restored.

The army of God does not leave wounded soldiers on the battle field.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Joshua Harris - former mega-pastor and author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye - announced Thursday that he and his wife are separating.

The Author of a Wildly Popular Manifesto on Abstinence Before Marriage Is Separating From His Wife

This comes at a time when the "purity culture" of the 90s and 2000s is under intense criticism and there's a growing population of "exvangelicals". It appears that American Evangelicalism is in a bad way right now.

I think that these exvangelicals reject too much. They end up landing in a place that does not at all resemble the religion of Jesus. This is what happens when the gospel is reduced to a particular moral message. The message of purity culture was "be good". When sinners found this to be unworkable they ended up rejecting Christianity altogether.
Unworkable? Was not unworkable for me. It is only unworkable when you don’t know how to do it. That is the problem in our culture. Heedless ignorance. Then people throw up thier hands in defeat.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Unworkable? Was not unworkable for me. It is only unworkable when you don’t know how to do it. That is the problem in our culture. Heedless ignorance. Then people throw up thier hands in defeat.

If you find the message "be good" to be workable, then I wonder if you are either ignorant of the real demands of God's law (how good is good enough?) or if you're ignorant of the depths of your own sin.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
See I think his problem was that he sought to provide "biblical" instruction on dating while missing the gospel, which alone has the power to change sinful hearts to faithful obedience.
Which is for lack of a better term Moralistic therapeutic deism when the Gospel is missing. A good healthy dose of the Law, Law and more Law. And if you can’t follow the Law than according to MTD is more Law. No wonder there is such a backlash.

Upvote 0