Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For those of you who have children close in age, did you plan it that way or did it just work out that way? My boys were intentionally ~3 years apart.

For those of you who have larger age gaps, was it intentional or was there remarriage or a "surprise!!" involved? My DD is much younger due to divorce/remarriage. However, if we are going to add baby #4, I told DH that I would want to have the next one closer together than the 3 year gap I planned between my boys. Partly b/c I don't want to be an old lady when the last one graduates from HS. :p

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We never wanted any so therefore we don't have any. :)

My good friend's sister never wanted any children, but I guess she wasn't upfront about that with her ex-husband, so they ended up divorced. To me, that is something that most definitely needs to be out on the table and agreed upon prior to marriage. It's good that you all were obviously in agreement. :)

Upvote 0

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My good friend's sister never wanted any children, but I guess she wasn't upfront about that with her ex-husband, so they ended up divorced. To me, that is something that most definitely needs to be out on the table and agreed upon prior to marriage. It's good that you all were obviously in agreement. :)

You're 100% correct it absolutely needs to be discussed prior to marriage, and yes, we were in agreement. :)

Upvote 0

Lena75

Aug 11, 2004
✟21,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For those of you who have children close in age, did you plan it that way or did it just work out that way? My boys were intentionally ~3 years apart.

For those of you who have larger age gaps, was it intentional or was there remarriage or a "surprise!!" involved? My DD is much younger due to divorce/remarriage. However, if we are going to add baby #4, I told DH that I would want to have the next one closer together than the 3 year gap I planned between my boys. Partly b/c I don't want to be an old lady when the last one graduates from HS. :p

Ours are each 2 years apart. Oldest and second are 2 years, 1 month apart. Second and daughter are 2 years, 2 months apart. We didn't "plan" ie: chart, temperature taking or anything like that. They just happened the way they were supposed to happen I guess! :angel:

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd wanted twins (even went so far as to take these wild yam supplements that were supposed to increase that chance) but when that didn't happen, I did the next best thing. Mine are 1 year 5 days apart. So yeah, it was planned that way.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a friend who has six children (all girls :eek:) and her girls always asked her if they were planned or not and her response is, "You were all conceived in love". :D

My "plan" was just that I knew I wanted them to be about 3 years apart, so I started trying again when my oldest turned 2. So, they are 3 yrs, 1 month apart. If DD wasn't a Spring baby I would probably start to think that I can only get pregnant during the Winter months. :p

My sister is putting bets on when I will get pregnant again. My family refers to me as Fertile Myrtle. :doh:

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's funny because our two eldest, who are my stepkids, are 4 years apart, but then - complete coincidence - we had our third son and he is 4 years younger than the middle child. Right now they are 18, 14 and 11 because the little one just had his birthday two weeks ago. It was not planned for us to have C 4 years after his brother, it's just how it worked out.

I think it works well in some respects, because the gap is enough to where we don't have, for instance, two of them on our car policy at the same time. Our middle boy won't be able to drive until age 16, and by then the eldest will have his own car insurance, so we will be starting over with another kid that will cause a huge increase in insurance, but at least it's only one kid at a time y'know? Similarly with college. The 18yo is almost done with his Associates degree, because he's taking 15 hours spring and fall, and also taking classes through Maymester and Summer I and II. He then goes to a 4 year college to complete, and then apparently to the military (if that pans out), so he may have graduated college (or almost) by the time that his brother starts college. So, those are financial issues that we are happy about.

I definitely will be an old lady by the time that the youngest child graduates. I will be 50 next year, when he is 12! We ate at Jim's last night - a breakfast place in Texas - and they had their "Silver Bird Specials" and I told him that in 6 years he can bring his old, silver haired mom for her Silver Bird Special. I will be a cheap date!! ^_^

Upvote 0

Lilymay

Veteran
Oct 23, 2006
USA
✟13,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

My kids are three years apart and it was not intentional. I will tell you I honestly said this to my husband in the delivery room after having our daughter... "How soon can we have another one?"

I wanted 4 or 5 kids, one right after the other. Husband had other ideas and did not want another one right away. He said that a two year difference would be good and got the calendar out and planned it. He allotted three months for trying to conceive so that they would be two years apart. It did not work out. It took us 1.5 years to conceive.

So after our son was born husband said we have a daughter and son, we are done having kids.

So there you have it... two kids, three years apart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I said two, even though I have five currently.

Two is with my wife. The five that I do have are from a previous non-married relationship (she didn't want to get married).

My current wife gave a child up for adoption almost 9 years ago and I know that she wants to have a child with me. Just things seem against us in that regard. She may be sterile from receiving novantrone treatments for multiple sclerosis as it's a side effect. We have been together nearly 2 years, married for 1 year and close to 3 months.

We would go for testing, but she's on Medicare/Medicaid and they will not pay for it and we couldn't afford the testing to see for sure, but it's not like we've been careful either. I have insurance, but it's only for me with no option to add a family member.

Upvote 0

PegasusOnFire

is currently unsupervised...
Jun 25, 2003
Iowa
✟25,153.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Mine were planned that close, well except the one I am pregnant with, that one was a surprise. They are 26 months, 23 months 1 day and 30 months(youngest and this one) We did the whole charting thing with DD2 and DD3 but were actively preventing for this baby. DD1 was a surprise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChildByGrace

Isn't God's grace the best !!!
Jul 22, 2005
Bournemouth
✟16,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I have two: Boy-nearly 4 and girl-20 months.
I would love to have two more however dh is more than happy with two so unless God intervenes we will just gave the two.

Our two are 2y 2 months apart and we generally planned it. We said we'd like an age gap of between 2 & 3 years but we wanted to miss specific months as we already have a high number of birthdays in the family in those months. I fell pregnant on the first day of trying!!! If we were to gave any more the plan would be the same sort of gap as I really like it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0