Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
It's also a case where most against it were once immersed in it for many years. It's not a matter of not listening about it, it's already knowing it and been there, done that with rejecting it for many reasons.

I hear you bro - a bad implementation of something can send people leaving in droves. WoF is supposed to be solidly grounded in the word, but it is not always like that in practice. There are some whackjobs out there that call themselves WoF, but they seem to preach a "Slot Machine God": - where you pop in a few coins, and get a million bucks out, time after time. :eek:

Fact is, us folk in the CF WoF section would all distance ourselves from twisted teaching like that. It's sad that people have been so painfully disappointed in what was labeled as WoF...

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Easy G (G²);60796771 said:
What WOF is about (to my knowledge) is simply about seeing the ways the Lord empowers His people to be prepared to live in ways to help others in the Body of Christ...and this is not something that has been limited to WOF.

There are others who've noted the necessity of Biblical Prosperity to doing the work of the Gospel.

Quite true. Rather than just a hand-out, people need a hand-up. I have often thought that this is one of the reasons that the prosperity message caught on with such vigour among the African American church. Historically, this community has been economically disadvantaged. The message of a God who empowers His people to prosper is a powerful draw to those that know what it means to truly struggle financially day to day.

I would note also, that the so-called father of the modern WOF movement, Kenneth Hagin, did not come from the affluent coastal areas of the United States, where white wealth is/was concentrated. He came from the poor areas of the southern midwest, where poeple of all colors by and large lived in rather abject poverty, from the time of the dust bowl. This is the crucible of struggle that produced the faith message, and motivated this man to believe God for His promises to be manifested in His life.

In either case, whether in the inception of the modern faith movement in the predominately white southern midwest; or its populaity among the centers of predominately African American city populations; or its utter explosion among the peoples of the third world; the message of faith, and prosperity, believing God for His promises to be manifested in ones life, whether white or black, or red or yellow or brown; the fact is, that the promises of God empower people to reach beyond their circumstance, for something better, in the belief that God desires the best for them, not the worst, and that He cares about their physical estate, and not just their spiritual state.

Peace...

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So it's a case of "Don't try and confuse me with the truth - I can has argyoomint! :argh: "
Exactly!

What's bizarre is, the people who claim to have been a part of the WoF movement for years are some of the most way out there in what they think WoF people believe. Perhaps they've had a bad experience and they've allowed a root of bitterness to take hold of them which prevents them from being able to hear anything without first filtering it through that. But when someone claims they were once WoF, and then proceeds to spout complete and utter nonsense, things I've never heard in my more than 3 decades exposure to WoF teachings, then I must seriously question.

It's a bit like someone who loudly proclaims, "I majored in mathematics in college", but then can't tell you the answer to 2+2. ;)

:cool:

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Exactly!

What's bizarre is, the people who claim to have been a part of the WoF movement for years are some of the most way out there in what they think WoF people believe. Perhaps they've had a bad experience and they've allowed a root of bitterness to take hold of them which prevents them from being able to hear anything without first filtering it through that. But when someone claims they were once WoF, and then proceeds to spout complete and utter nonsense, things I've never heard in my more than 3 decades exposure to WoF teachings, then I must seriously question.

It's a bit like someone who loudly proclaims, "I majored in mathematics in college", but then can't tell you the answer to 2+2. ;)

That's what puzzles me too. Have you ever in life encountered a "WoF" church that actually preaches a slot-machine Gospel? I know there there are plenty of non-WoF churches here in South Africa that have lost the plot altogether. But,I have no idea if there are apostate churches in the US that ignores the Word, and just label themselves WoF to entrap people?

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's what puzzles me too. Have you ever in life encountered a "WoF" church that actually preaches a slot-machine Gospel?

Never. I'm sure they're out there, but all of the WoF churches and people I've actually had the pleasure of knowing have been awesome people who Love God.

I know there there are plenty of non-WoF churches here in South Africa that have lost the plot altogether. But,I have no idea if there are apostate churches in the US that ignores the Word, and just label themselves WoF to entrap people?

I think there are fruits, nuts and flakes in every sect of Christianity. ;)

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In his book, "I Believe in Visions", he speaks of Jesus visiting him in the hospital after he fell and hurt his elbow and shoulder. Jesus tells him that he could have prevented the injury, but did not want to do so, but let the devil do it through His "permissive" will, rather than His "perfect" will because Hagin had been disobedient at some point.

Jesus also told him that he wouldn' heal his arm, but accelerate the healing process a bit, still requiring weeks of a cast and a sling, and also that he wouldn't heal it 100%, but only 99%. So, a slow and incomplete healing is what Jesus promised him, and incomplete as retaining a reminder in the flesh not to disobey God anymore (sort of like Paul's thorn in the flesh, but I digress), and it stayed with him his whole life, by his own admission.

I do realize this causes an issue with some who claim that perfect healing is promised to all believers at all times, but Hagin wasn't healed by his own admission and that by a direct revelation of God that he would not be completely healed. So, either one needs to jettison the "all healing all the time" philosophy, or admit Hagin was a liar and Jesus told him no such thing, because the two don't go together.

Dems got to be the most bizarre :eek: things, I've heard in quite a while. Lord have mercy!!

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Dems got to be the most bizarre :eek: things, I've heard in quite a while. Lord have mercy!!

Sounds quite :eek: to me too, friend.

Me, I'd rather not worry about stuff like that and let the good Lord lead us by the hand, step by step. I know the both of us prefer in dealing directly with the Lord - with no middle man in between. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's what puzzles me too. Have you ever in life encountered a "WoF" church that actually preaches a slot-machine Gospel?

No, I haven't. Really, all this comes down to is basically a doctrinal difference in how we view God. Those that oppose us believe that God does both evil and good. We believe God does only good.

You would think we could move on from that. But no. They, (for some reason unknown to me), feel it is important to say that we ignore God, that we are greedy, lovers of money, and even heretics. That we have a slot machine gospel, blab it and grab it, etc. There is no end to the names they come up with for us. It really makes one wonder what is going on in their heads.

I am not sure name calling is what we have been called to. It just occured to me-the one critical thing that Jesus did say to regular people, "where is your faith", they get mad at others for saying. But the one thing Jesus warned us against saying to others, "thou fool" (demeaning others with name calling), they do with abandon.

Peace...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, I haven't. Really, all this comes down to is basically a doctrinal difference in how we view God. Those that oppose us believe that God does both evil and good. We believe God does only good.

You would think we could move on from that. But no. They, (for some reason unknown to me), feel it is important to say that we ignore God, that we are greedy, lovers of money, and even heretics. That we have a slot machine gospel, blab it and grab it, etc. There is no end to the names they come up with for us. It really makes one wonder what is going on in their heads.

I am not sure name calling is what we have been called to. It just occured to me-the one critical thing that Jesus did say to regular people, "where is your faith", they get mad at others for saying. But the one thing Jesus warned us against saying to others, "thou fool" (demeaning others with name calling), they do with abandon.

Peace...
Jesus did some name calling, and not only that, as the false apostles of Corinth sought to extort money from the Corinthians, Paul called them false apostles angels of satan etc. This, while he worked not to burden the church, and to show the higher way, the way of a true apsotle, who for the most part worked a day job.

Which by the way, have you seem the mansion the Copeland's live in? This, as they demand "tithe", derogatory words actually should come to a reasoning mind. SH.:)

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's sad to watch people try to justify their name calling.

To be fair, I've seen a fair amount of name-calling from both sides of this argument. I've done it myself more than I'd like to admit. Father, forgive me.

Oh, that we would all come to a greater revelation of the Truth that we are to be known as disciples of Jesus Christ by our Love for one another.

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus did some name calling, and not only that, as the false apostles of Corinth sought to extort money from the Corinthians, Paul called them false apostles angels of satan etc. This, while he worked not to burden the church, and to show the higher way, the way of a true apsotle, who for the most part worked a day job.

Which by the way, have you seem the mansion the Copeland's live in? This, as they demand "tithe", derogatory words actually should come to a reasoning mind. SH.:)

Envy is sin also.

Upvote 0

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Envy is sin also.
Was it envy in 1 Timothy six, where Paul told Timothty to tell those who were rich, to share?

You presume too much here. And you do not refute the text I posted, because with all due respect, and frankly speaking you can't. How dare they live in a mega mansion, and demand tithe, contorting and using Malachi 3, text directed to Jews under levitical tithing ordinances, to evoke fear using the curse aspect, or dangling the 'blessing". Do they tell their listeners they would be under a Levitical curse for eating pork? No! But somehow, they just want to raise a curse for the tithing ordinance, to keep the money flowing to their lives, while not considering the poor, of whom they extract money from, far from the heart of a true leader.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was it envy in 1 Timothy six, where Paul told Timothty to tell those who were rich, to share?

You presume too much here. And you do not refute the text I posted, because with all due respect, and frankly speaking you can't. How dare they live in a mega mansion, and demand tithe, contorting and using Malachi 3, text directed to Jews under levitical tithing ordinances, to evoke fear using the curse aspect, or dangling the 'blessing". Do they tell their listeners they would be under a Levitical curse for eating pork? No! But somehow, they just want to raise a curse for the tithing ordinance, to keep the money flowing to their lives, while not considering the poor, of whom they extract money from, far from the heart of a true leader.

I have refuted all of what you have said, repeatedly. Nobody is demanding tithes, in fact, the funniest thing about your argument is that Kenneth Copeland teaches that tithes should go to the local church, not him. And this is the mark of a true leader, who puts the local church before his own ministry. You are misinformed, and wallowing in your ignorance. It would be funny, if it wasn't so pitiful. Kenneth Copeland minsitries receives freewill offerings, not tithes, and it you don't want to give to his ministry, then don't. I certainly do, and will continue to do so.

While I tend to agree with you about the tithe being a part of the law, and not strictly applicable to christians, this is hardly a WOF doctrine. Nearly every Christian group from the Catholics to the Baptists teach the tithe based upon Malachi. It is hardly a WOF distinctive. Take it up with them.

Peace...

Upvote 0

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have refuted all of what you have said, repeatedly. Nobody is demanding tithes, in fact, the funniest thing about your argument is that Kenneth Copeland teaches that tithes should go to the local church, not him. And this is the mark of a true leader, who puts the local church before his own ministry. You are misinformed, and wallowing in your ignorance. It would be funny, if it wasn't so pitiful. Kenneth Copeland minsitries receives freewill offerings, not tithes, and it you don't want to give to his ministry, then don't. I certainly do, and will continue to do so.

While I tend to agree with you about the tithe being a part of the law, and not strictly applicable to christians, this is hardly a WOF doctrine. Nearly every Christian group from the Catholics to the Baptists teach the tithe based upon Malachi. It is hardly a WOF distinctive. Take it up with them.

Peace...
No, many times, Gloria has demanded "tithes" without ever saying where it should be directed, as to the poor, and in fact, has said to 'tithe" where they are being fed, all while she implied "they feed", they never mention the poor, because after all, that would be a negative confession, and of course, they want the tithe. Oh, and the "faith seeds" too. Just watch her with Billye Brim, and on their morning show, with that man who goes on and on with the seed faith doctrine, and tithe, there is always the implication, to give to them, as there is also the omission of giving it to the poor.

Please don't insult my intelligence with posts like this. Thank you. SH.

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, many times, Gloria has demanded "tithes" without ever saying where it should be directed, as to the poor, and in fact, has said to 'tithe" where they are being fed, all while she implied "they feed", they never mention the poor, because after all, that would be a negative confession, and of course, they want the tithe. Oh, and the "faith seeds" too. Just watch her with Billye Brim, and on their morning show, with that man who goes on and on with the seed faith doctrine, and tithe, there is always the implication, to give to them, as there is also the omission of giving it to the poor.

Please don't insult my intelligence with posts like this. Thank you. SH.

Well, I think I have gone about as far as I am willing to go here with you. Im spending way to much time here on this thread that is taking away from my current study of the gospels.

May God richly bless you and keep you in His grace.

Peace..

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Quite true. Rather than just a hand-out, people need a hand-up. I have often thought that this is one of the reasons that the prosperity message caught on with such vigour among the African American church. Historically, this community has been economically disadvantaged. The message of a God who empowers His people to prosper is a powerful draw to those that know what it means to truly struggle financially day to day.

I would note also, that the so-called father of the modern WOF movement, Kenneth Hagin, did not come from the affluent coastal areas of the United States, where white wealth is/was concentrated. He came from the poor areas of the southern midwest, where poeple of all colors by and large lived in rather abject poverty, from the time of the dust bowl. This is the crucible of struggle that produced the faith message, and motivated this man to believe God for His promises to be manifested in His life.

In either case, whether in the inception of the modern faith movement in the predominately white southern midwest; or its populaity among the centers of predominately African American city populations; or its utter explosion among the peoples of the third world; the message of faith, and prosperity, believing God for His promises to be manifested in ones life, whether white or black, or red or yellow or brown; the fact is, that the promises of God empower people to reach beyond their circumstance, for something better, in the belief that God desires the best for them, not the worst, and that He cares about their physical estate, and not just their spiritual state.

Peace...

Indeed.

Interesting to see what you noted in regards to the background Hagin came from, as I didn't know that he came from the backwoods area he did. Seeing how he knew intimately what it was like to be impoverished, it's no surprise as to why he so valued the blessing of the Lord prospering His people. And because he valued prosperity in its proper context, it's why he took the time to rebuke those who took it out of context...as seen in "The Midas Touch" when it came to people taking concepts that others were blessed by in the Faith movement....and turning them into abusive practices (i.e. the concept of reaping and sowing being used to say one can say whatever they desire/get it simply by asking--even if it goes against God's heatrt, the concept of saying all forms of giving MUST result in getting financial blessing back, giving under pressure as often occurs on telethons asking for money on Christian broadcasting networks when others say "God will curse you if you're hearing this and don't give", etc).

For anyone wanting more, one can go here and here.

I'm always amazed when people try to "expose" others such as Hagin...or for that matter, others like Dollar for teaching Prosperity....and yet in the process, people often become aware of the many ways that they already do extensive outreach in the community.

The many times I've had debates with those who are WOF Antagonists trying to attack anything/everything WOF and yet ignoring what it was like for others in impoverished situations to experience it/be blessed and restored (as seen here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, etc)...it always bothered me extensively...and I wondered how often people would really consider culture making a difference. I really take seriously the cultural issues of Prosperity Theology for Black Church here in the WEST---and reasons behind why it's the case that Prosperity Theology has impacted the Black Church the way that it has...........especially as it relates to most blacks wishing to leave impoverished conditions and move to the Surburbs (also known as "Black Flight")--and loving the image of successful blacks in economics who are good stewards of finances/resources for themselves and the community. The same principle goes for impacting impoverished communities AROUND the world and seeing the ways that being "prosperous" may shift from place to place...and yet what remains the same is that others are being aided (more found here and here ).

On a side note, as it concerns prosperity, something interesting I always thought humorous is when people would come up and say "If you believe in WOF, you must support that 'Money Cometh!!' foolishness by people who say they claim finances and don't have jobs!!!. Obviously, for those aware of it, they're speaking in reference to Leroy Thompson...whom I've had my fair share of disagreements, some sharp and others light.

Some of what he stated, however, needs to be understood in the context if occurred in. ..

Actually, as there was a discussion elsewhere where Brother JediK actually brought up direct quotes from the Book "Money Cometh".and as he stated:
"God wants Christians to get past always looking to get something, and to instead be looking to give "big" to the Gospel, having plenty left over to live and abundant life!"

"No, we're not to be in covetousness, but we are in covenant. We are to be contolling this financial system instead of this financial system controlling us."

"You ought to picture people who are in debt and distress and then picture yourself helping them."

"Have the right attitude about those who are blessed. And then have the right attitude about those who are broke; give them something."

"God wants us to have money so we can spread the Gospel and bring Bibles to those who have never heard about Jesus. For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost (Matthew 18:11). That is our mission today-- and we need money to do that. We need to build churches and send ministers out to preach the Gospel. We need millions of dollars to do that, and God is giving it to us!"

"God doesn't want you to have financial pressure. He wants you to have financial power. What's the difference between financial pressure and financial power? Financial pressure means you're in debt, in distress and you're discouraged. Financial power means you're free from debt. You've got a savings account, and you're looking for somebody to bless!"

"God doesn't want you to trust in riches, but in Him, the Living God.".

Many of the concepts/quotes are things I enjoyed learning of ..for as much as I may disagree with someone running onstage with money on it (as Leroy has done sadly), the phrase "Money Cometh" is not something one can have issue with on all aspects when seen in context of the larger teaching it is apart of (Biblical Financial Stewardship)......especially as it relates to others believing that God either desires them to always remain in poverty or that financial breaktrhough is never something God has in mind.

When it comes to many of the "Money Cometh" video clips (snippets) that are often brought up in the attempt to critique/discredit others, its always interesting that the entire 30 minute sermon is never given in full---with it portrayed as if others just come into the sanctuary saying "MONEY COMETH", throw away money and then go home expecting a check later on. And its interesting to consider, seeing that a snippet video from Youtube (which doesn't take long to look up--nor does it require real research) can never accurately what the atmosphere of a church is for months.....nor does it deal with FIRST-HAND accounts/testimonies of what others in the church did and what was actually taught for weeks at a time....................

And thankfully, others have sought to give more extensive information on how the concept is played out. For another video on the issue, one can go online/look up the following:

• "God said Money Cometh - Pastor Duane Broom" ( //vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=35157453 )
  • "Live the Kingdom Of God! - Dr. Duane Broom " ( //vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&playlist=26579900&pt=1&i=1&videoid=59000772 )
The concept of "MONEY COMETH!!!" was never a matter of just yelling "MONEY COME TO ME NOW" like its magic---where one still doesn't have to save, work a job hard and submit one's finances to the Lord.....but one dealing with understanding that its within one's ability to take authority over circumstances/stop being a VICTIM...knowing that despite any circumstances and how it appears, God always has his people covered. When the gas prices are high, rather than complaining about it if/when funds are low and things are tight, one can understand that God already has financial supply coming for those who seek Him/His Kingdom first..and declare what God has said on their situation according to the Word....just like one in a depression and declaring joy to come to them in the Lord.

For anyone assuming that it means to just claim/say something and do nothing else---or simply declare and yet not walk according to Biblical Principles of Financial Stewardship and not be focused SOLELY on money alone (as many have done in the WOF Camp, within Toxic WOF circles)--that's a problem.

With the quotes referenced earlier in the "Money Cometh" book, Initially, I had no idea the man had a book stating such as the quotes (which is more than reasonable and something not to be ignored), even if disagreeing with anything else the man has to say...and to be clear, there are MANY things I disagree with the brother on. But I'm glad for what the man does speak on...as Biblically, DEBT is not a blessing---and a bondage, especially seeing how often it drains the life out of others....including my mother when she had to deal for years in paying back loans for Medical School/being harassed by Creditors while trying to simultaneously take care of a child born out of wedlock and being very much on her own at times (Proverbs 22:7, Proverbs 13:23

As I've mentioned before elsewhere, when it comes to certain messages, many times people fail to take notice of the groups attracted to or blessed by it/what the message meant to them. And on the issue of DEBT/POVERTY, generally it was those who were GOING THROUGH and feeling hopeless in a myriad of ways (i.e. not being able to place food on the table, not being able to afford any clothing/school supplies for the kids, not being able to give generously to those areas in the Kingdom on their heart because their own bills/money issues are too much to handle, always living pay-check to pay-check and not being able to really save anything up for the future due to always having immediate needs/survival at stake).

Growing up impoverished and moving up later in time, it's something that's a sensitive issue....especially in the Black Community where issues of impoverishment are often MOST prevalent....and many times IGNORED (often by the same people who critique the Faith Movement). Those listening to the message were blessed by it because of how it impacted their lives practically/aided them in being better Kingdom Citizens..

The reason some were blessed by the message is because of how it aided them in the financial situations/seeing God operate powerfully on their behalf. It can be annoying at times to see people respond as if folks are just making stuff up out of NOWHERE and not seeing results---or all that's the focus for others is "MONEY MONEY!!!!." But again, for most of the people who say such things, it's amazing to see how quickly people change when it's THEIR SON OR DAUGHTER who cannot afford basic medical treatment because mom got sick/had to skip work---with the consequence being that she did not get paid for that day of work.....and thus lose that paycheck that was going to make a difference in one already struggling to have a LIVING-Wage

For everyone who seems to think that prospering is automatically a negative, I'm always wondering how hypocritical it is when people saying that live in conditions that those in 3rd world nations all say are "rich"...be it owning a car, having food on the table or having/working a job to take care of one's family. It always seems that people against any aspect of prosperity in WOF define being "prosperous"/too "rich" as simply having MORE than what they have.....even as they ignore where others look right back and them and say they're rich.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Peace...

Even though there are obvious extremes within the WOF movement that've developed and needed to be addressed (just as Dad Hagin did when making his work entitled "The Midas Touch" on correcting many of his spiritual sons for taking things beyond what he was even thinking with Prosperity), there's still a Divine reason behind why Biblical prosperity is necessary and impacts certain communities that are economically disadvantaged....and in many ways, the message of prosperity itself has gone through many differing evolutions.

One excellent teaching that addresses the ways many teachings were taken into the wrong directions and how to address it is entitled God's Economy: Redefining the Health & Wealth Gospel by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove (discussed here). Seeing how culture often makes a difference in how certain concepts/teachings were applied in the faith movement---as others in lower economic communities alway have a focus on how the Lord is concerned with the physical and many WOF churches actively went about addressing that by focusing on benevolence ministries as well as seeing how the Lord often spoke of kingdom of GOd impacting the physical (a teaching that's in line with what's known as Liberation Theology)--another excellent work to consider is "Righteous riches: the Word of faith movement in contemporary African American Religion.". There's also the ministry of Generous Giving---perhaps the most balanced ministry I've seen in a long time when it comes to Biblical Prosperity and how to go about it (seen here, here , here and here ).

There've also been a good number of discussions over the years exmaining many of the main leaders within the faith movement, including those who disagreed with some of the mainstream ones and others who took differing routes. Be it the WOF that evolved at places like Tulsa or the WOF that shaped/developed in differing cultures such as the Hispanic, Asia/African world (if aware of others such as Joseph Prince and how the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement developed on that side of town ).

Moreover, as it concerns the ways that the WOF Movement has been in flux on certain issues regarding faith/prosperity and the ways it has can either be used for good or evil, you would be blessed probably checking out the ministry of Derek Vreeland...as seen in his article entitled Reconstructing Word of Faith Theology. At one point, he shared the following:
God’s promise of provision is true, but this does not imply secured wealth at all given times. The context of Philippians 4:19 contests the notion that anyone in the will of God will always experience prosperity. Paul freely admits his moments of lack. The biblical balance is not absolute prosperity at all times, but contentment. Promoting contentment over greed is the initial step to reconstructing prosperity.....

Reconstructed prosperity is built on the whole counsel of God concerning wealth. This includes the blessings bestowed from the Abrahamic covenant and God’s nature to care for the needs of his children. This is held in tension with the biblical warning concerning the deceitfulness of wealth. Jesus clearly warned, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”88 This tension between the blessings of wealth and the deceitfulness of wealth is maintained by devaluing wealth in the scope of Christian experience. Financial blessings are considered a part of God’s purpose for the church, but to avoid a gospel of greed that feeds the fallen nature’s lust, those blessings are considered merely an appendix. The superior blessing is right relationship with God through Christ.

Within this biblical realignment, word of faith theology can reprioritize social and evangelical concerns over materialistic egoism concerning prosperity. The primary purpose for the blessing of prosperity is not the accumulation of possessions, but for the realized ethic – “love thy neighbor.” This ethically reinforced doctrine values the sharing of wealth above the mass accumulation of possessions to satisfy individual lust. Oral Roberts, a pioneer in the word of faith doctrine of prosperity, provides a suitable definition for this type of reconstructed prosperity. He writes "Prosperity is the possession of everything you need for yourself and loved ones with enough surplus to give to those who need help. If you have only the bare necessities, you are not prosperous. And if you have all the sufficiencies of life but no more, that is not prosperity. But, if you have everything you need with something left over for the poor, that is prosperity. If, after you have paid the tithe, you have enough for offerings to spread the gospel and help the needy, that is prosperity"

Prosperity is the possession of everything you need for yourself and loved ones with enough surplus to give to those who need help. If you have only the bare necessities, you are not prosperous. And if you have all the sufficiencies of life but no more, that is not prosperity. But, if you have everything you need with something left over for the poor, that is prosperity. If, after you have paid the tithe, you have enough for offerings to spread the gospel and help the needy, that is prosperity. In this definition, prosperity’s purpose is to meet personal needs, provide for the household of faith, help the poor and advance the gospel. Kenneth E. Hagin, Jr., pastor of Rhema Bible Church, understands the need to devalue material possessions. He writes, “Acquiring material possessions is not the focus of Christianity. We are promised material goods, but they are not to be our focus.”

Upvote 0