✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looks like the site has changed a bit during my last break and it seems this is the only forum I'm allowed to make posts in. The site isn't "super friendly" toward JWs, so I anticipate there aren't a whole lot left here... so while I'm here, if anyone has anything they want to debate/challenge/question or whatnot, let me know.

Not super interested in blatant insults... but if you wanna pick the brains of one of them weird door-knockers, just let me know.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Looks like the site has changed a bit during my last break and it seems this is the only forum I'm allowed to make posts in. The site isn't "super friendly" toward JWs, so I anticipate there aren't a whole lot left here... so while I'm here, if anyone has anything they want to debate/challenge/question or whatnot, let me know.

Not super interested in blatant insults... but if you wanna pick the brains of one of them weird door-knockers, just let me know.
Thanks for your openness to answer questions. In JW literature, they say the more correct form of the Name is "Yahweh", yet they continue to use "Jehovah" because of the people's familiarity with it. That leads to several questions.

1) The people are more familiar with "the LORD". Why not just keep that error instead of leading them into another error rather than what you believe to be true?
2) Zechariah 13:9 prophesies that future believers will say, "יהוה אלהי" or "YHWH (Yahweh) is my God". Do you believe JWs will say, "Jehovah is my God"?
3) What do you believe Yeshua did when he quoted a verse using the Tetragrammaton?
4) The name "Jesus" is also a known error. Why not use a more correct form of that name?

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why do JWs insist on getting people to agree with them that Jesus died on a torture stake instead of crucifixion on a cross.. Why do JWs shun family and friends who desire to seek Jesus ? Why are JWs forbidden to participate in sports but can watch ? How many times has JW authority prophesied the End time with dates and missed ? Michael the Arch Angel is not Jesus ,he was in the heavenly host that appeared to the shepherds, he is subject to Jesus and serves him to this day while Jesus sits at the right hand of God , Lord over all, right ? .. Why are JWs so religious and dull ? What if JWs are wrong about eternal damnation when ignorance is no excuse ?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

How do Jehovah love me? He is there and I am here. How could He love me?

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2004
Everett, wa
✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for your openness to answer questions. In JW literature, they say the more correct form of the Name is "Yahweh", yet they continue to use "Jehovah" because of the people's familiarity with it. That leads to several questions.

1) The people are more familiar with "the LORD". Why not just keep that error instead of leading them into another error rather than what you believe to be true?
2) Zechariah 13:9 prophesies that future believers will say, "יהוה אלהי" or "YHWH (Yahweh) is my God". Do you believe JWs will say, "Jehovah is my God"?
3) What do you believe Yeshua did when he quoted a verse using the Tetragrammaton?
4) The name "Jesus" is also a known error. Why not use a more correct form of that name?

(On a cell phone, so forgive the lack of formatting)

All points boil down to the fact that names are difficult to translate. English "versions" of names are all technically incorrect, yet it's just become part of the culture. Jesus in particular is a transliteration OF a transliteration... Joshua would be closer to Yeshua than "Jesus" is.

There are so many reasonably possible versions that we just stuck with the KJV interpretation. We hope to eventually meet God and get the pronunciation he prefers and use that. If he pronounces it completely different, we'll believe him. The only reason we tend to avoid "The LORD" as a substitution for God's name is because the practice has muddied the water between Jehovah and our lord (kurios) his son.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2004
Everett, wa
✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why did JWs change the policy on taking blood in June 2000 ? Will the JW authority be held accountable for murder for forbidding members who beforehand died before the policy was changed ?

I've been around since the 1980s and the policy has always been up to the individual. A couple verses mention "abstaining from blood" and throughout most of history, a blood transfusion would kill you. Now blood transfusions can be safe, but there are still risks of infection, rejection, your lungs shutting down, etc. And there are safer alternatives that restore circulatory volume and carry oxygen more effectively, less expensively, without the risks, and have been shown to greatly improve recovery time. (Go to noblood.org for a list of hospitals across the nation going blood free for completely non-religious reasons.

Yes, over a few thousand years, there was a decade or two where blood transfusions were the best option you had in some situations. It's still overall good advice.

Further, being told to "abstain" doesn't mean it's "prohibited." With no other safe option, my conscience would allow me to take a blood transfusion if it were really REQUIRED. Keep in mind, orthodox Jews have been around longer, are a larger group and they PROHIBIT blood transfusions and organ donation... i doubt anyone will be trying rabbis for murder any time soon. People have the right to refuse treatment.

Around 2000, the wbts made it a bit more clear that a range of interpretations were plausible... but if anyone is not OK with a blood transfusion, they don't need to take one. If anyone takes one, that's not really the business of anyone in the congregation.

That cover it?

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2004
Everett, wa
✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do JWs insist on getting people to agree with them that Jesus died on a torture stake instead of crucifixion on a cross.. Why do JWs shun family and friends who desire to seek Jesus ? Why are JWs forbidden to participate in sports but can watch ? How many times has JW authority prophesied the End time with dates and missed ? Michael the Arch Angel is not Jesus ,he was in the heavenly host that appeared to the shepherds, he is subject to Jesus and serves him to this day while Jesus sits at the right hand of God , Lord over all, right ? .. Why are JWs so religious and dull ? What if JWs are wrong about eternal damnation when ignorance is no excuse ?
4x4, that's a bunch of questions, so i might encourage you to make a new thread if you'd like to talk back and forth so this thread doesn't go off on too many tangents at once... but I'll try to cover all of them. If I skip over something, let me know.

1- stake vs. Cross... because the word used in the bible means "tree" or "pale." There is no mention of a "cross" in the original language, and the cross commonly used in mainstream christianity has been used in other pagan religions for a long time, so we don't feel comfortable adopting it as a religious symbol ourselves (although, it took us a while to figure that out. very early JW literature did feature a cross). It's entirely POSSIBLE that his stake could have been cross shaped... perhaps with a crossbar at the very top, or down a bit as is popular in mainstream christianity... it may not have had one at all, or it could have looked more like a Y... people have tortured eachother on many shapes. The primary point a JW would make is the torture instrument isn't special at all. Jesus' life is what made his sacrifice worth something. What they killed him with is completely irrelevant.
2- shunning- because individuals in any group are capable of being jerks. When a person is disfellowshipped, they are not called on to contribute to meetings, and are asked not to go out in the ministry representing the congregation as a minister. That's it. Disfellowshipped people are still welcome to come to meetings, talk before and after, all that. Now there ARE people disfellowshipped for doing some quite bad things, perhaps illegal things. If a person does something that makes them dangerous to others, it's common sense not to hang around that person. Not our place to judge or condemn them... that's up to God. But if they're trying to sell kids drugs or something, then not associating with them would be smart. Not all disfellowshipped people are in that boat.

3- I've been a door knocker for a few decades and never heard anyone suggest we're prohibited from sports... i play sports pretty regularly. I know a lot of kids aren't encouraged to join school sports TEAMS because practices and games are typically done on the weekend and are seen as less valuable than the ministry... but if you can do both, go for it. I guess another potential draw back to joining a sports team is the competitive spirit involved... a lot of people split their loyalty and view "enemy teams" in a rather negative light, and JWs are encouraged to treat EVERYONE as potential brothers and sisters. (Which is why JWs don't join any military. And we know no matter who's at war with who, JWs in that country won't join their militarys either).

4- bit of a loaded question. JWs made a very arrogant claim to interpret a scriptural prophecy that seems to point to 1914 as the beginning of armageddon. They didn't make the prophecy, they were overconfident in a possible meaning and were wrong. They also got overly excited in the 1960s or 1970s because mathmatically it was a significant anniversary (from what I recall exactly 6,000 years since adam and eve were created, therefore if "a (creative) day is 1,000 years" it would mark the beginning of the last day in a "creative week" and seemed a likely candidate for something big to happen. They were a bit more careful and never "prophesied" anything about it... just pointed out that the bible says armageddon could come as a theif in the night and we should remain prepared at any time... and that that was a very significant possibility for something to happen, so better to be prepared. Still living like God may judge us tomorrow isn't a bad idea. I agree, their arrogance caused people to stumble those times.

5- Isn't really a question.. but I agree, that's a possibility. There are a number of overlaps between Jesus and Michael (Jesus is described to be like God, Michael's name means "who is like God." The title of "archangel" means "cheif messenger" which could also apply to Jesus... who would be more of a messenger?, there's also an overlap in the bible about whether it's Jesus or Michael who is supposed to kill Satan in the final battle, etc. So, there's reason behind the possibility both names could refer to the same being... but I agree with you that this is all circumstantial... and rather reminiscent of the reasoning people use to equate Jesus with his Father. So I'm careful to note that it's a POSSIBILITY, but I'm not attached to the idea.

6- because it's a religion, and we're huge nerds.

7- that's the big question... what if anyone is wrong? We can only go with what makes the most sense after prayerful consideration. That's exactly what started the JWs... the original "Bible students" group just realized there were some suspicious doctrines that didn't seem to match scripture... so our goal is to get as close to scripture as we can. As we see it, it's God's "undeserved kindness" (aka "grace") that is our salvation in the end. Jesus paid the price, so salvation isn't really a variable... why not learn as we can and serve as best as we can while we wait? Not to get cooler stuff, but just to do the right thing.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2004
Everett, wa
✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do Jehovah love me? He is there and I am here. How could He love me?
Juven, sometimes the most complicated questions are the shortest ones.

Easiest way for me to explain it is looking at my baby. I love her fiercely... sometimes that means I have to leave (to go to work) and she can't see me... but I'm working for her. Just yesterday, I had to stand by and watch her get two shots... broke my heart a little to see how betrayed she seemed to feel while I stood there and LET a mean old nurse poke her with a needle... but I know that pain is going to serve her well in the long run.

We chose to have "knowledge of good and evil" when adam and eve ate that fruit... they chose to reject his rule and try to rule himself... and as much as we've suffered, he's had to sit back and watch his children suffer and die because of the consequence of our decision.

I don't feel bad for me... he's had to endure FAR more... he knows every time one of his children kills another one... even when we betray eachother in our hearts... he knows when the proper time is to return and deliver us from our mistake and bring us back under his protection... but now is too early. He's being patient with us for a reason... we owe him the same patience. But I guarantee, a God who didn't love you wouldn't endure what he has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Juven, sometimes the most complicated questions are the shortest ones.

Easiest way for me to explain it is looking at my baby. I love her fiercely... sometimes that means I have to leave (to go to work) and she can't see me... but I'm working for her. Just yesterday, I had to stand by and watch her get two shots... broke my heart a little to see how betrayed she seemed to feel while I stood there and LET a mean old nurse poke her with a needle... but I know that pain is going to serve her well in the long run.

We chose to have "knowledge of good and evil" when adam and eve ate that fruit... they chose to reject his rule and try to rule himself... and as much as we've suffered, he's had to sit back and watch his children suffer and die because of the consequence of our decision.

I don't feel bad for me... he's had to endure FAR more... he knows every time one of his children kills another one... even when we betray eachother in our hearts... he knows when the proper time is to return and deliver us from our mistake and bring us back under his protection... but now is too early. He's being patient with us for a reason... we owe him the same patience. But I guarantee, a God who didn't love you wouldn't endure what he has.

If I were the only one in this world, God can surly love me just like you love your baby. But there are billions of people around, how could Jehovah, sits in the Heaven, actually love these people?

For example, I have to make a critical decision, how would He help me in doing that?

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(On a cell phone, so forgive the lack of formatting)

All points boil down to the fact that names are difficult to translate. English "versions" of names are all technically incorrect, yet it's just become part of the culture. Jesus in particular is a transliteration OF a transliteration... Joshua would be closer to Yeshua than "Jesus" is.

There are so many reasonably possible versions that we just stuck with the KJV interpretation. We hope to eventually meet God and get the pronunciation he prefers and use that. If he pronounces it completely different, we'll believe him. The only reason we tend to avoid "The LORD" as a substitution for God's name is because the practice has muddied the water between Jehovah and our lord (kurios) his son.

Make sense?
Yes, it makes sense, but I don't agree. You are assuming "all" versions are technically incorrect. The Almighty's Name can be pronounced in any language on earth including English. Therefore, a particular version may be correct. We should rule out those that are known to be incorrect and use what we believe to be correct until proven wrong. What doesn't make sense is that JWs teach "Yahweh" is the more correct pronunciation, but they don't use it because most people are more familiar with "Jehovah". That's like a Sunday keeper saying, "We know the 7th day is the correct day to rest, but we keep the first day because that's what most people are familiar with" or a Catholic saying, "We know total submersion under water is the correct way to baptize, but we prefer sprinkling because most are familiar with that method."

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is my belief that JWs are correct that the Son is not "God" like the Father is "God". However, I believe they are incorrect in saying the Son preexisted as "a god". My question is, why do you read the Son into the text of John 1:1-4? It does not mention the "Son", but only the "logos/word". Why are JWs misled by trinitarian translations that use "him" or "he" in that passage instead of "it"? For example, contrary to later translations such as the KJV and all modern versions, Tyndale and the Geneva Bible translate verses 3-4 similarly;

"All things were made by it, and without it, was made nothing that was made. In it was life, and the life was the light of men."
I believe a far better translation of the entire passage without adding our preconceived ideas into the text is as follows;

John 1:1 In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and what the word was God was.
John 1:2 This same was in the beginning with God.
John 1:3 All things were made by it, and without it was made nothing that was made.
John 1:4 In it was life, and that life was the light of men.
The personification of the "word" in this passage is simply an assumption and incorrect eisegetical insertion into the text. There is no need to make such an assumption or insertion which serves only to distort the true meaning of the text.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
@The Gregorian , I have been reading some books on early Christianity, and I have begun to think the JW beliefs are probably closer to the beliefs of Jesus than many other groups. An example is the idea that Jesus was the Archangel Michael. Apparently some Jewish sects imagined Belial leading the forces of darkness and Michael leading the forces of light.

I don't believe in Yahweh, but I do have more respect for JW beliefs than in the past.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe in Yahweh, but I do have more respect for JW beliefs than in the past.
If you receive Yeshua as your Savior and believe that he is the Son of Yahweh and Yahweh's Messiah, you can change your user name to "sunnydays1" :)

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2004
Everett, wa
✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I were the only one in this world, God can surly love me just like you love your baby. But there are billions of people around, how could Jehovah, sits in the Heaven, actually love these people?

For example, I have to make a critical decision, how would He help me in doing that?

How many children do you think a parent is capable of loving? I'm up to three at the moment and having more doesn't make me love the others any left. I have quite a few orthodox jewish friends that have 10+ kids and a growing number of grandkids... no signs of the capacity for love reducing. What makes you think a larger number (however many billion people have lived over the years) makes love less believable?

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2004
Everett, wa
✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it makes sense, but I don't agree. You are assuming "all" versions are technically incorrect. The Almighty's Name can be pronounced in any language on earth including English. Therefore, a particular version may be correct. We should rule out those that are known to be incorrect and use what we believe to be correct until proven wrong. What doesn't make sense is that JWs teach "Yahweh" is the more correct pronunciation, but they don't use it because most people are more familiar with "Jehovah". That's like a Sunday keeper saying, "We know the 7th day is the correct day to rest, but we keep the first day because that's what most people are familiar with" or a Catholic saying, "We know total submersion under water is the correct way to baptize, but we prefer sprinkling because most are familiar with that method."

I agree with where you're coming from. I think all of us would like to use the most correct version possible. The down side is that since language changes over time, the same four letters of the tetragrammeton can either be referred to as "Yod- He-Waw-He" ... or "Jod-He-Vav-He." YHWH (and therefore the most likely pronunciation of "Yahweh") isn't objectively "more correct" than JHVH or JHWH or YHVH... The hebrew language is very cool for a lot of things... but it's not exactly "precise" even today. (look up how to spell hannuka some time)

I don't disagree with you... just answering what the JW perspective is. I see that as an area that we could improve upon.

As far as John 1:1, I agree that "a god" is a kind of sloppy translation. As an anarthrous nominative predicate, the word is "qualitatively comparable to God" ... similar to if a situation seems "fishy" ... it's not THE fish... it's not even A fish... it's qualitatively described compared to a fish.

We could stick with "and the word was divine" ... but again, people typically use "divinity" to equate to "Being God" as opposed to just "A celestial spiritual being." English just doesn't really have a very clear way to communicate that specific idea. That's something JWs talk about quite a bit.

I understand the idea that "the word" could be a creative force rather than referring to the son's state of existance before his human form... and that's actually a whole interesting conversation. It's not the typical JW understanding, but it's not inherently unreasonable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2004
Everett, wa
✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@The Gregorian , I have been reading some books on early Christianity, and I have begun to think the JW beliefs are probably closer to the beliefs of Jesus than many other groups. An example is the idea that Jesus was the Archangel Michael. Apparently some Jewish sects imagined Belial leading the forces of darkness and Michael leading the forces of light.

Thank you. Respect is the goal here. I don't think anyone on any forum will convert someone... that's just a foolish errand. But online is a good place to peacefully compare ideas on an even ground so we can understand where each other come from and why we think the way we do. For example, the forums are adamant that JWs are a "non-Christian cult" ... which is, in my opinion, a bit unfair. And I would hope mainstream christians could at least disrespect us a bit less. Likewise, I would encourage my JW friends to equally be a bit less judgmental about mainstream Christianity. NO ONE thinks to themselves "I know my beliefs to be a lie, but I will preach them anyway! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!" Everyone has a reason that's convincing to them, that their interpretation is rational... we can only teach each other and learn from each other and therefore grow closer to God as a whole if we work together towards truth with humility about the things for which WE might be mistaken as well.

I hadn't heard about the Belial correlation... I'll do some research on that. Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0