kick out Putin, bring back the Tsar.
Sep 21, 2011
USSR
✟15,139.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure if this sort of thread is appropriate for this subforum but just thought I would say hello as I plan to spend the majority of my time here. I was raised in the church but unfortunately, for some reason, I never really made an active intellectual effort to learn anything and have really just went through the motions of it all and I'm sick of it. Which brings me to here, I would like to rediscover and get more in touch and knowledgeable about my faith and the Church. If anyone has any recommendations of literature or advice or anything, that's cool, if not, that's cool. Hallo, everyone.

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure if this sort of thread is appropriate for this subforum but just thought I would say hello as I plan to spend the majority of my time here. I was raised in the church but unfortunately, for some reason, I never really made an active intellectual effort to learn anything and have really just went through the motions of it all and I'm sick of it. Which brings me to here, I would like to rediscover and get more in touch and knowledgeable about my faith and the Church. If anyone has any recommendations of literature or advice or anything, that's cool, if not, that's cool. Hallo, everyone.

Welcome to TAW!

Having been in the church for some time now, you may already have this, but if you don't, the single best thing you can do to improve your faith is to pray. Have a basic morning and evening prayer discipline in a language you understand, and pray them slowly and with attention to the words. The prayers themselves will educate, and they'll raise questions in you that will spur further meditation and learning.

If you're unsure on what or how much to pray, the second best thing you can do for your faith is to develop a good relationship with your priest. Confession serves as an incredible means of accountability, sobriety of perspective, and receiving spiritual advice. If confession seems too daunting (or church is far away), even just being able to email your priest to ask basic nuts-and-bolts questions (e.g. how long one's prayer rules should be) is very helpful.

Like I said, though, having grown up in the church you may already have those two things. If you've got specific topic areas you'd like to discuss, or would like book recommendations just in-general, let us know :)

Most importantly, though: welcome to TAW!

In Christ,
Macarius

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Welcome! :wave: We're here for you. We'll help you out with whatever questions you have to the best of our ability. We're here for fellowship, and also for just supporting each other, discussing our faith, and enjoying this forum together as a family. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I do not recommend "church hopping", but; a visit to one or two parishes of differing jurisdictions will allow you to see how the faith you were born into, is practiced in diverse cultures
There are tons of books any one here could recommend. On the beginning level I have found nothing as simple, and yet as informative as those in the four volume set by Fr.Thomas Hopko.

Holla, Holla!

Upvote 0

Brother Vasilyevich

kick out Putin, bring back the Tsar.
Sep 21, 2011
USSR
✟15,139.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do not recommend "church hopping", but; a visit to one or two parishes of differing jurisdictions will allow you to see how the faith you were born into, is practiced in diverse cultures

Church hopping? No, no, I was born into the Orthodox church (specifically the Russian jurisdiction) and I will die in it. I already attend a parish that is to my liking where I live, my presence here is more I less I want more, I want to learn more, I want reinvigorate my faith and start attending services regularly and learn all about it all over again. Savvy?

Is your first name Vasiliy?

Maybe.

Upvote 0