Newaygo, Michigan
✟8,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh the truth is I have stopped painting. Sadly it was the last thing that I painted that was 4 years ago. The only reason I painted them, I was led to do them. It felt wonderful to paint, now I have fought everyday for the last 4 years for not picking up my paint brushes, and getting out my easel and my paints. I do make cloth dolls and no, I don't paint their faces anymore. I embroider their faces.

This past year I went to a different Orthodox church and my new priest blessed my hand painted Icons. He said that he believes that the ones that I painted for myself by my own hand inspired by the Lord to do, means more to me than some other Icon I could buy. They were not painted for anyone but me, for my personal Icon corner with my other Icons and for that purpose he blessed them.

He also told me I could get my paints out, not to throw away that gift from God. He knows some Icon painters too.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,468,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He also told me I could get my paints out, not to throw away that gift from God. He knows some Icon painters too.

amen to that. iconography is a great ministry and an awesome way to evangelize.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome back! :)

Interesting to see an update. I wasn't here to see the beginning of the thread. :)

I keep thinking about just what you have done. I used to paint. But I had a strong sense that one needs to be taught, which I suppose is what people were telling you. I don't think about doing them to sell either, but part of me wants so much to paint for myself. I haven't done it, but it's interesting to read what folks said to you, and how your new priest reacted as well.

The painting is nice. :) Did you keep it in your icon corner?

I still don't have an actual icon corner, but I'm thinking I will put together what I have this week, perhaps. :)

Welcome back! :)

Oh the truth is I have stopped painting. Sadly it was the last thing that I painted that was 4 years ago. The only reason I painted them, I was led to do them. It felt wonderful to paint, now I have fought everyday for the last 4 years for not picking up my paint brushes, and getting out my easel and my paints. I do make cloth dolls and no, I don't paint their faces anymore. I embroider their faces.

This past year I went to a different Orthodox church and my new priest blessed my hand painted Icons. He said that he believes that the ones that I painted for myself by my own hand inspired by the Lord to do, means more to me than some other Icon I could buy. They were not painted for anyone but me, for my personal Icon corner with my other Icons and for that purpose he blessed them.

Upvote 0

SpiritlMuse

Feb 4, 2011
Newaygo, Michigan
✟8,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I left this thread alone, and found it yesterday when I was trying to update some items on my profile I think somewhere in that area. It just so happens that in November I got my Icons blessed by Father and although I have not pulled my paints out- packing to move to a new home (we hope). I was hoping to work with an iconographer who use to go to our church, his visit and time to be at our church was cancelled so I think it is rescheduled for sometime early this new year.

I totally agree Kylissa, Icon painting needs to be taught, you may be able to get the basics from books, but there is a lot more details that is not written. I just love to paint them, they give me great joy.

I have my own Icon corner and I sprinkled Holy Water on them, they are among the other three Icons I have.

If it was not for my bible study group at church I would never have done anything with them. They have a way of making me confront my fears, ask questions was a big one.

Upvote 0