Visit site
✟1,357,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained.” (Philippians 3:12-16 ESV)

This was Paul speaking. He had just finished talking about how, when he believed in Jesus Christ, he counted as loss all that he had gained previously in the flesh, and for the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus, his Lord. And knowing Jesus isn’t just head knowledge, and it isn’t just an intellectual assent to who he is and to what he did for us in putting our sins to death with him on that cross. For this is knowledge gained through personal experience, i.e. it is applied knowledge, putting it into practice.

But then he went on to admit that he had not yet “arrived.” For this word “perfect” means “to bring to an end, to complete.” It means to finish the course. And it has to do with our faith and our salvation which will not be completed (consummated) until Jesus returns and he takes his bride to be with him for eternity. In the meanwhile, while we wait, we are in the process of salvation and sanctification and of being made holy. We are being perfected by Christ via our walks of faith and obedience to our Lord.

For God’s grace, which is bringing us salvation, is training us to renounce (say “NO!” to) ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s return. For Jesus Christ “gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works,” the works “which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” as his workmanship, “created in Christ Jesus for good works.” (Titus 2:11-14; Ephesians 2:10; cf. Romans 2:6-8; Galatians 6:7-8)

And Jesus said that if anyone would come after him that he must deny self, take up his cross daily (die daily to sin and to self) and follow (obey) him (Luke 9:23-26). For our salvation is a process of sanctification which is ongoing over our lifetime until we die and/or until Jesus returns, but only if we continue in him, steadfast in faith without wavering, and as long as we are walking by the Spirit and not according to the flesh, and as long as sin is not what we practice, but that righteousness and obedience to our Lord are what we practice. For if sin is what we obey, it ends in death, not life eternal.

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 1 Corinthians 10:1-22; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:1-19; Heb 4:1-13; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

So, lack of perfection is not ever to be used as an excuse for continued, deliberate, habitual, and premeditated sin against God and against our fellow humans. Yet I hear so many professing Christians state, “Well, nobody is perfect,” as an excuse for their addictive sinful appetites and practices. But what did Paul say? He pressed on toward finishing that course and coming to the “finish line.” And so he put behind him the things of his past, and he moved forward to what all the Lord had for him yet to do in this life. And he pursued obedience, holiness, and godliness – all in the power of God/Christ.

And this is where we are to be also who have put our faith and trust in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord (Owner-Master) of our lives. We are to be walking (in conduct, in practice) according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh, for if we walk according to the flesh we will die in our sins. We will not inherit eternal life with God. But if we walk according to the Spirit, in walks of obedience to his commands in holy living, and not in sin, then we have the hope of salvation from sin and the promise of eternal life with God. We just have to stay the course until the “finish line.”

Courageous!

An Original Work / December 24, 2013
Based off Various Scriptures

The Word of God throughout taught.
Some people heard but did doubt.
Still others had faith in Christ.
By grace He purified them.

They turned from sin
And they obeyed Christ.
He opened up their blinded eyesight;
Turned them from darkness
To the true Light;