Just curious, how many of you identify as feminists?

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
But equality is impossible, men and women are different.

Men and men are different too. John Wayne and Don Knotts aren't the same. But they are equal. They have an equal voice. There is no job they aren't permitted to have based purely on their gender. They aren't the same. But they are equal. Equal in privilege, responsibility, function, and authority in all areas of life.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Men always liked more, and were interested more in building, seeing how things works inside, inventing stuff, etc, i'm not saying they are more smart, they have a innate more inclined 'passion' for this kind of stuff, i am not saying women cannot like this, but in relation to women.

I seriously doubt there is so few women enginneers because of the patriarchy and men being mysoginistic.

Also, men are more inclined to be more competitive and aggresive, something that can be useful in leader positions etc, and advancing job positions etc.

I think 100% of that is the result of the kinds of toys given to boys versus the kinds of toys given to girls. Boys are given toys that build things. Girls are given dolls and kitchen sets. It's an acquired interest.

Raise a girl with all brothers and she becomes a "tomboy." And then many women in her life will discourage her from being that way.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think 100% of that is the result of the kinds of toys given to boys versus the kinds of toys given to girls. Boys are given toys that build things. Girls are given dolls and kitchen sets. It's an acquired interest.

Raise a girl with all brothers and she becomes a "tomboy." And then many women in her life will discourage her from being that way.

I disagree a bit because i think God himself has put some traits in men hearts that are different in women.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well this thread has degraded rather quickly. It's strange that with all their perceived superiority how some men just seem incapable of reading and comprehending the forum rules.

I agree and I regret that I didn't echo what Paidiske said. NBB is making comments that are against forum rules.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The same with women inventors, what stopping women in going into a garage to invent some stuff, you know Bill Gates started in a garage with his company, what stopping women more in this age? maybe there is some difference?

Maybe it's harder to get the freedom to tinker in the garage with small children clutching at one's skirts (or indeed trousers). This idea that women just don't have the aptitude for particular fields is rubbish.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it's harder to get the freedom to tinker in the garage with small children clutching at one's skirts (or indeed trousers). This idea that women just don't have the aptitude for particular fields is rubbish.

i don't say they don't have aptitude, i say men are more inclined find more strenght/motivation/passion to do some kind of stuff because is how their soul is made, that is different from women, because usually you work in what you like, and i think men like more to do this kind of work.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
i don't say they don't have aptitude, i say men are more inclined find more strenght/motivation/passion to do some kind of stuff because is how their soul is made, that is different from women, because usually you work in what you like, and i think men like more to do this kind of work.

I took graduate level math classes a few years ago at a major university and there were significantly more women in those classes than men. I also worked in structural engineering for over eight years and more and more women have been entering that field and excelling in the work AND enjoying it very much.

In my family, multiple women from all different generations have been in the military and law enforcement. I have a niece who served in Iraq. My mother met my dad when they were both serving in the U.S. Navy.

The very first computer programmer, Ada Lovelace, was a woman, and let's not forget Madam Curie, who won a Nobel prize in physics and another in chemistry, and was the first person to receive it twice.

The differences in people are not due to simply being male or female. That's far too simplistic and has largely been debunked. Men are not from Mars nor women from Venus. Male or female is just one among many features that make each and every person unique, and not even really all that important in the larger scheme of things unless you are trying to create offspring.

And if you think people usually work in what they like, you probably haven't seen the data:

The World's Broken Workplace

Only 15% of employees WORLDWIDE are truly engaged in their jobs.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I don't for one second believe in gendered "souls." Nor do I see any Biblical basis for that idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Retired mechanical engineer here. Back in the dark ages, yes, women were few and far between in STEM fields. However, I would encourage those of you who don't think women should be in STEM fields to watch the movie or read the book Hidden Figures. Rooms full of FEMALE mathematicians, and African-American to boot!
Physically I currently couldn't hold a candle to a man's strength...but that's not a measure of equality. I'm short, middle-aged, on the fluffy side. When it came to being the breadwinner...yup, that was me. Did it matter? Not one whit! That's an ego/pride thing. I had a true partnership with my late husband.
I think that many people are not willing to study what feminism is and isn't. They go by the rubbish they hear somewhere else and come to erroneous conclusions.
To the young lady who was reading "The Transformed Wife" blog...stay away from Lori Alexander as much as possible. She is a liar and a hypocrite. I can document it all between her old blog "Always Learning" and her current one. She fawns over the MRA types. Feel free to PM me for the evidence.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't for one second believe in gendered "souls." Nor do I see any Biblical basis for that idea.

I definetely think men and women are different in their hearts to some extent.
For example do you believe femininity or mascuilnity are something from 'hormones' only, or has a whole pshycological aspect to it, if it has then that comes from the spiritual side, since our emotions comes from our soul and heart not our brain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I took graduate level math classes a few years ago at a major university and there were significantly more women in those classes than men. I also worked in structural engineering for over eight years and more and more women have been entering that field and excelling in the work AND enjoying it very much.

In my family, multiple women from all different generations have been in the military and law enforcement. I have a niece who served in Iraq. My mother met my dad when they were both serving in the U.S. Navy.

The very first computer programmer, Ada Lovelace, was a woman, and let's not forget Madam Curie, who won a Nobel prize in physics and another in chemistry, and was the first person to receive it twice.

The differences in people are not due to simply being male or female. That's far too simplistic and has largely been debunked. Men are not from Mars nor women from Venus. Male or female is just one among many features that make each and every person unique, and not even really all that important in the larger scheme of things unless you are trying to create offspring.

And if you think people usually work in what they like, you probably haven't seen the data:

The World's Broken Workplace

Only 15% of employees WORLDWIDE are truly engaged in their jobs.

Right, i'm just trying to think why enginners/inventors etc are mostly men, because is the 'patriarchy' actually stopping women go invent some things in this age? i don't believe so

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well this thread has degraded rather quickly. It's strange that with all their perceived superiority how some men just seem incapable of reading and comprehending the forum rules.

Sorry if you feel i offended someone, i will stop posting, it was not my intention to fight anyone. Sure friendly disagreenment is welcome right?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For example do you believe femininity or mascuilnity are something from 'hormones' only, or has a whole pshycological aspect to it, if it has then that comes from the spiritual side, since our emotions comes from our soul and heart not our brain.

I believe femininity and masculinity are largely social and cultural constructs. But I see our emotions as being a cognitive (brain) function.

Sure friendly disagreenment is welcome right?

In the Egalitarian forum, friendly disagreement with the SOP is out of place. There are other forums for those debates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe femininity and masculinity are largely social and cultural constructs. But I see our emotions as being a cognitive (brain) function.

In the Egalitarian forum, friendly disagreement with the SOP is out of place. There are other forums for those debates.

Ok, then, i will remind this.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Right, i'm just trying to think why enginners/inventors etc are mostly men, because is the 'patriarchy' actually stopping women go invent some things in this age? i don't believe so

I do believe so. I was a math/science junkie all the way back in high school. I knew then I wanted to be some sort of engineer. I was heavily discouraged by guidance counselors, family and friends because it wasn't seen as "feminine". This was in the late 1970's or so. The idea was that if I was good at it and liked it, I should teach...as that would put me in a more "feminine" role. I did later teach for awhile but at the college level, and I started seeing more and more women in my classes.

Women were and are discouraged from pursuing careers that are considered typically male. However, it's not just careers where equality is wanted. Did you know that up until some time in the 1970's a woman could not get credit or a bank loan in her name only? She had to have her father or husband cosign it. Women could be summarily fired for getting pregnant while working. So, for those who do not see/understand the patriarchal underpinnings of our culture, please go do some research.

As an engineer, business owner, instructor, I spent years dealing with this patriarchal attitude. Job interviews where I was asked if my husband had a problem with me working overtime, traveling, working with mostly men. How many men were asked these questions? I was even asked if I planned to have children. It was all perfectly legal then.

And some people wonder why we are feminists and want equality....

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As late as the late nineties, I still had a university lecturer of mine (in genetics) tell me that "women don't belong in science" as he refused to help me with his subject.

• Agree
Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0