Mel62

May 20, 2016
San Diego
✟9,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This phrase comes from one of my pastors. I believe this quote was part of the catalyst of my church attendance.

I tithed. I volunteered. I read my bible. I attended small congregations. etc. I was all in.

The more I read my bible the more I stopped believing in my pastors and fellow church-mates. As a conservative guesstimate, 99% of the people I encountered were evangelists. They would tell me how God was great, quote scripture and are excellent prayer warriors. When it comes to Outreach ministry, all I heard was crickets.

I am constantly reminded of
James 2:14-17 New Living Translation (NLT)
Faith without Good Deeds Is Dead
14 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone?15 Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing,16 and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?

17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.​

So what makes a good Christian? Also, what should I do about my church attendance?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This phrase comes from one of my pastors. I believe this quote was part of the catalyst of my church attendance.

I tithed. I volunteered. I read my bible. I attended small congregations. etc. I was all in.

The more I read my bible the more I stopped believing in my pastors and fellow church-mates. As a conservative guesstimate, 99% of the people I encountered were evangelists. They would tell me how God was great, quote scripture and are excellent prayer warriors. When it comes to Outreach ministry, all I heard was crickets.

14 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone?15 Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing,16 and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?

17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.​

So what makes a good Christian? Also, what should I do about my church attendance?

I don't know that I'm qualified to answer every question (in fact I know I'm not), but ...

To be a Christian is to be like Christ. Above all, love God, and love others. A lifetime can be spent, learning how to do that.

I am very blessed that my Church gives lots of help in that, for those who want to receive that help.

• Agree
Reactions: Shempster
Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

i hear you, i gone trough the same sifting!

But im not sure the goal of Jesus was to make christians! Not sure he founded any organized religion, church the way we know it, or a ruel of conduct for a community at all! I believe its important with churches for a reason, but taht kind of christianity i now view more as israel in teh wilderness. IT has its function, but its never the goal. But still they had to go trough it. But its a great day when we leave the wilderness, and leave the prophets andpastors behind. Moses never crossed over as you now. Theres a time we need so say goodbye to all the ministries, no matter how good they did for us, because in the end we are sons of one father, and what kind of family appoints "shepherds" over frown up sons, when they are suppsoed to be co sharers of the whole fathers business! hope you get my drift.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just because your on this forum doesn't mean your a christian. ;P

Joking aside I hear what your saying. If your not try to get anyone saved then what was the point, sure you were a good christian in your eyes, but we are called to spread the word. Will someone still go to heaven who doesn't reach out? I believe so. But the bible says we will lose rewards if we are essentially just a lazy christian. Its why I am on this forum to help people Whether to get them saved, bring them back to God...etc. Its also why I like churches that have outreaches. Not just "entertain the members!". I mean its fine to fellowship, bible study and what not. But we still have a goal past that.

Upvote 0

Margit Hird

Mar 30, 2016
England
✟8,718.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Widowed
Dear Mel62. Just because you are in church does not make you a Christian. God is Love, and God wants our love freely given. Jesus told us in Matthew 22: 35-40: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. Jesus tells us: " The first Commandment is: " Love God with all thy hearts, with all thy souls, and with all thy minds. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as you love thy selves." In verse 40 we are told: On these two Commandments hang all thy love and care for God first, and for our neighbour. We start treating all we know and all we meet, as we would love to be treated.
The Bible tells us: stop being selfish and without love, Jesus died for us and we owe God all our love and compassion. Let us give up being selfish and without love, and start be loving and caring, and helpful. Love is what God wants from us, love do we owe one-and another. To be in church is pleasing to God but it does not make us loving and caring. I say this with love, Mel. greetings from Margit, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so you're here to "help people" so that you can get your bonus rewards after you're dead and gone to heaven.....

You will be so disapointed when you finally go to thaht heaven, and noone is trying to get anybody saved there, and theres no bonus points to collect! what will you do?

Thanks, but no thanks. :D
Huh? Talk about a twist of words. If you read your bible you would know it says we will be known by our fruits. So if you spend your life not leading anyone to salvation, you won't have much fruits. As for rewards, its in the bible to. Maybe you should read your bible.

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Huh? Talk about a twist of words. If you read your bible you would know it says we will be known by our fruits. So if you spend your life not leading anyone to salvation, you won't have much fruits. As for rewards, its in the bible to. Maybe you should read your bible.
Not twisting the words. DO you believe jehovas witnesses or the morn church is as rightoues and carries the truth like your church?

Because they say the same thing. And your worth is measured in your wilingness and "fruit" in saving souls, which is basically just getting more members. ANd thats what gods bunus system in heaven is based upon Sorry, but youre not fooling anyone, only yourself.

Fruits is not souls. Much fruit that honors the father as jesus called it in john 15, is not souls. Paul talked about a very different type of fruit, and it coems from walking in a spiritual life. it wasnt ppl becoming members. What a horrible hitler idea.

I like more jesus words in thye great comission wher he tells his disciples to NOT go out and "spread the word" but isntead wait in jerusalem until they would be endued with power, and they they would become his witnesses.

If YOU read what actually happened, they didnt get to do much "soul reaching" work, because the spirit that fell upon them basically took over. But you keep on with your powerless soulwinning for your bonus points in heaven. I like jesus way, if thats ok by you.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
✟45,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Just because your on this forum doesn't mean your a christian. ;P

Joking aside I hear what your saying. If your not try to get anyone saved then what was the point, sure you were a good christian in your eyes, but we are called to spread the word. Will someone still go to heaven who doesn't reach out? I believe so. But the bible says we will lose rewards if we are essentially just a lazy christian. Its why I am on this forum to help people Whether to get them saved, bring them back to God...etc. Its also why I like churches that have outreaches. Not just "entertain the members!". I mean its fine to fellowship, bible study and what not. But we still have a goal past that.
Good point! I am looking for a church right now. One of the things that I'm looking for in a church is if they have ways to serve in the church. Now I'm wondering if doing outreach would be better or should I look for both?

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not twisting the words. DO you believe jehovas witnesses or the morn church is as rightoues and carries the truth like your church?

Because they say the same thing. And your worth is measured in your wilingness and "fruit" in saving souls, which is basically just getting more members. ANd thats what gods bunus system in heaven is based upon Sorry, but youre not fooling anyone, only yourself.

Fruits is not souls. Much fruit that honors the father as jesus called it in john 15, is not souls. Paul talked about a very different type of fruit, and it coems from walking in a spiritual life. it wasnt ppl becoming members. What a horrible hitler idea.

I like more jesus words in thye great comission wher he tells his disciples to NOT go out and "spread the word" but isntead wait in jerusalem until they would be endued with power, and they they would become his witnesses.

If YOU read what actually happened, they didnt get to do much "soul reaching" work, because the spirit that fell upon them basically took over. But you keep on with your powerless soulwinning for your bonus points in heaven. I like jesus way, if thats ok by you.
Again maybe you should read your bible:
https://www.intouch.org/read/magazine/daily-devotions/our-rewards-in-heaven

Also how old are you? Just asking because your spelling and grammar are really bad. Not picking, just hard to read.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

James 2:14-17 speaks to intellectual faith versus true spiritual faith. It’s the difference between believing that Jesus died for our sins and actually understanding what that means. Once we “get it,” we’ll want to walk with Christ and live the life he asked us to live. Good deeds aren’t a roadmap to salvation, but a reflection of it. In Mark 7:16 Jesus said, “You will know them by their fruits.” He didn’t say, “By their fruits they will become.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good point! I am looking for a church right now. One of the things that I'm looking for in a church is if they have ways to serve in the church. Now I'm wondering if doing outreach would be better or should I look for both?

I would look for both. Our church has no shortage of ways to serve including outreach programs, both local and abroad. It’s a real community supported by its members, a wonderful place to belong.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Well,you didnt mention praying.
Also, have you given a brother and sister clothing and food? Go look in your pantry or wardrobe and put some aside.

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think a good Christian cares more about the will of God then about the will of people.
and so i should choose what to do along my life according to this principle. which also of course
requires understanding what God wants from me. which Is sometimes hard. but its usually possible.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0