Just a quick question about age differences while dating ...

floridasun

Sep 26, 2006
Florida
✟8,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I dated a girl recently who was 25 years plus my junior and we went out a few times ... I really liked her and she liked me ... she did not have a problem with the age difference and I really did not a have problem with it ... we got along well, and she told me it was nice to go out with someone who is mature, instead of people she knows in college ... what is your opinion on age differences while dating ? ... when does it start to "matter" ? or does it matter ? ... thanks ...

Evexchange

Booyyyaaaahhh
Aug 1, 2013
✟7,849.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Age difference does make a difference but it is mostly how you perceive it . the major difference is maturity .Psychologists state that the perfect age difference is that the man is older than the woman by 5 years . reason because women mature earlier and die later . But , most of the problems come from likes and dislikes . You have different ideas of fun as your attain experience . eg party vs quiet evening roadhouse vs quiet bar you get the idea .If you can converse intelligently over a wide range of subjects , have a few things that you enjoy doing together , and want it to work on the long term , you have it beat before you start .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

comidapicante

Sep 12, 2013
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not think it matters as long as both are committed to purity and are Christians. Sometimes we have a genuine connection with people that are very different from us (race, age, etc) and I've been in her place - when men are immature they can also be mean and selfish so we open up the possibilities.

Upvote 0
H

HorsieJuice

I do not think it matters as long as both are committed to purity and are Christians.

Unfortunately, you're wrong. Not only is maturity an issue, but stage of life is an issue - and if it isn't yet while dating, it can be later on in the relationship. Everything from how you socialize with friends to how and when you want to raise kids can be affected by your age - these can be big issues.

Upvote 0

CFT

Sep 13, 2013
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you are dating someone that is 25 years younger, you need to ask yourself a number of questions. First, is she dating you looking for a father figure, or is she needing healing? Or are you dating her because you are trying to recapture a lost youth?

If the younger partner has had healing with the Heavenly Father, then age is not a big issue. Sometimes young women are looking for a father to meet a need that was not met when they were younger. This can indicate a lack of relationship and acceptance with God the Father.

With regard to the older male seeking a younger woman, he must seek the Lord's wisdom on why he is attracted to a woman that much younger. Ask God if he needs greater confidence or healing with regard to his youth or former relationships in his youth.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟435,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think age doesn't matter, to an extent. 25 years seems to be quite a bit over the top, and like others have said each person is just going to be in vastly different stages of life. Just assuming that she's 25 years old (I know I could be way off), she could either be in school or getting ready to launch a career and you could be eyeballing retirement. That's a bit of a stretch, but not very far. She could be wanting kids when you're feeling more like a grandparent, you know?

I mean that's just such a large gap, that even if you are kindred spirits it doesn't really make up for the fact that biologically you will always be aligned with a different "season"...

That's just my .02¢ though.

Reactions: jess9450
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

comidapicante

Sep 12, 2013
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree that stage of life could be a major issue. Definitely. However I trust that God has the best for his children. While I value our modern culture and its determination of what is normal and appropriate, if I or a Christian friend of mine met a much older man and felt it was genuine love and God's will, I would seek counsel from the people that knew us and forget about what the rest thought. To each his own as long as we are not disobeying the Word. :)

Upvote 0

everybodyvote

Sep 14, 2013
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree that stage of life could be a major issue. Definitely. However I trust that God has the best for his children. While I value our modern culture and its determination of what is normal and appropriate, if I or a Christian friend of mine met a much older man and felt it was genuine love and God's will, I would seek counsel from the people that knew us and forget about what the rest thought. To each his own as long as we are not disobeying the Word. :)

I would venture to bet that for some people a man dating a women 25 years younger than himself IS disobeying the word.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would venture to bet that for some people a man dating a women 25 years younger than himself IS disobeying the word.

Don't think so. Boaz was much older and the man of the widow with Elijah.
My uncle is married to someone 23 years younger, she's a bit older than his daughter. She was his student. They have a good marriage.

Upvote 0

everybodyvote

Sep 14, 2013
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't think so. Boaz was much older and the man of the widow with Elijah.
My uncle is married to someone 23 years younger, she's a bit older than his daughter. She was his student. They have a good marriage.

Okay, I see.

The Bible says that we should not harm other people.
But God never condemns a sexual relationship on the basis of an age difference, so as long as both parties say yes.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I see.

The Bible says that we should not harm other people.
But God never condemns a sexual relationship on the basis of an age difference, so as long as both parties say yes.

I think you're young. It's a sin when you're younger than 18 + 25 and a bit strange when you're 43. 65 - 40 no problem.
My aunt kicked an older guy out of the house when he wanted to date my niece who was 16.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟435,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you're young. It's a sin when you're younger than 18 + 25 and a bit strange when you're 43. 65 - 40 no problem.
My aunt kicked an older guy out of the house when he wanted to date my niece who was 16.

That's true, as both parties get older, the age difference matters less. A young adult dating a senior citizen though may be something else altogether.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
With regard to the older male seeking a younger woman, he must seek the Lord's wisdom on why he is attracted to a woman that much younger. Ask God if he needs greater confidence or healing with regard to his youth or former relationships in his youth.
Biologically speaking, it's pretty simple.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dated a girl recently who was 25 years plus my junior and we went out a few times ... I really liked her and she liked me ... she did not have a problem with the age difference and I really did not a have problem with it ... we got along well, and she told me it was nice to go out with someone who is mature, instead of people she knows in college ... what is your opinion on age differences while dating ? ... when does it start to "matter" ? or does it matter ? ... thanks ...

My experience having two dates with someone who was 24 when i was 48 , is that most of the time we were on the same maturity level...but it was evident that there was more of a 'footloose and fancy free' mindset and spirit than what i had ; I also found this nice gal to be more moody than her older counterparts and not as emotionally intact. I found myself being attracted to her mostly for her nice appearance and joke-ability . But i couldnt see anything long term...and i suspected she felt the same way after the second date. Her mom and i were about the same age too , which was a bit wierd with me ..lol...

My personal feeling is : The OLDER to the two people are that experience a 25 year age difference, the better suited they would be ...just as a rule of thumb.

Upvote 0