Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And, given the baggage, I suppose this leaves me wondering whether I'm just not worth listening and responding to, or if the stuff I bring up (to him, not on this forum) is too silly to bother with, and I should sit down and shut up. It isn't *him* I don't really like.
It's probably not a matter of "not worth listening to".....but he could be sort of internally setting a boundary that he's not even aware of---sort of like a valve "shutting off communication" for a while so he can decompress after work. Our daughter is a lot like that. She works long hours with the public---having to carry on conversations....and she's said by the end of the day, she doesn't want to be asked one.single.question. She simply needs her quiet time.

The "baggage" part could be (I'm obviously only able to speculate along with you) that in his family growing up (like a lot of us) or somewhere along the line....saying something like, "can I just have some time to myself right now?" would be perceived as rude.....so he's left with the only option of tuning out and not hearing as well as if he were fully engaged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
^^This makes sense. On a smaller scale, I volunteer in our church's food and clothing bank. A couple of weeks ago, after sorting children's clothing donations all day long, coming home and doing laundry was the last thing I felt like doing. Hubby did it--and without a word of complaint, because he understood perfectly.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
men do that. It's apparently bred into them.

Wither we want to or not we have to be a 'conniving female', that is to say that even though we are smarter than most men and not nearly as helpless as they can be we still have to be their help mate, not the other way around.

the pastor was saying that men need to have their egos stroked and I do agree with him.

We can't go about getting things done with men as we would another woman or a child even. We have to make them think that the sun rises and sets on them.
:(

I personally believe it's better to get to know each and every person as an individual rather than resorting to basing relationships on broad stereotypes. (but this isn't the place to discuss that). I didn't want to derail the thread--but wanted to mention *something* on that :)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
:(

I personally believe it's better to get to know each and every person as an individual rather than resorting to basing relationships on broad stereotypes. (but this isn't the place to discuss that). I didn't want to derail the thread--but wanted to mention *something* on that :)

While that may be true the adage, men are from mars, women are from Venus holds true as well. We can't expect men to think the same way we do and the more we try to do that the more we butt heads. I'm just talking from 40 odd years of married experience, Christian Couples sessions and observation of other couples.:)

Just as there are different personality types, there are also the differences in the way each gender 'sees' things.

I didn't really understand the way my husband reacted (not acted, totally different) until I discovered more about myself.

As LBF said about his job which shed a LOT of light on the problem, he had learned to tune out things that are overwhelming for him.
Some personalities reach a breaking point quicker than others regarding certain things, some it doesn't bother at all. If he is anything like my personality we need our 'down time' and having a job where you are in constant contact with people and not just that but strangers it is draining.

For him it may be just the one last pebble that broke the camels back (I know I'm mixing metaphors).

I'm in a similar situation too, I'm disabled, and for the past two years I couldn't even leave my house. Hubby did all the shopping to which I was grateful for but I have to remember to tell him that too because he works a job on his feet all week with bad knees and a bad back after a recent fall down the stairs and then calls me after work and asks me how I am and if I need anything from the store.

Then he comes home and puts the groceries away. On the weekends he does the laundry and I don't always consider how great that is and complain because the sheets got wrinkled because he let them sit in the dryer when I should be happy that they got washed and dried in the first place!:doh:

I'm always telling him that he's negative when I don't see myself doing the same thing.
And now that I've written all this and admitted to it I need to work on the log in my own eye and do a lot of apologizing when he gets back from going out and getting dinner. :oops:

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lulav, I think you and I are in exactly the same situation. I am also disabled, which is why I don't have a job myself. I do the best I can around the house, but there are some times he has to come home and do a chore I couldn't do. Also, having supper waiting for him isn't as simple as it sounds, because he works from afternoons to late night, and he doesn't want to have a big meal when he comes home. Best I can do is cook a good lunch for him before he goes in.

Earlier this month, when my car started to show her age, hubby bought me a brand new one. It's taking some getting used to. Everything is in a different place, and it's got a baffling amount of bells and whistles on it that are now standard, but I'm managing it. If it weren't for my husband, I wouldn't be driving in the first place. He's the one who stuck with me and made sure I learned. Where some people may subconsciously set out to keep a disabled family member helpless, because being the caretaker makes them feel needed and important, my husband encourages me to be as independent as I can. I'm not well enough to hold a job, but I can go out and do things, and he makes it possible. He doesn't keep me trapped at home, reasoning as my first husband did that if I get too confident in myself, I may leave him.

Yes, little things. I'd like the place a little more organized than it is. Because searching for things is so exhausting, I'd like to know that when I need something, it will still be in the same spot where I put it last. Unfortunately, many people don't understand. Not just my husband, but my daughter and nephew (both adults) live here too. When I talk about the pantry not being organized, they think I mean that everything isn't lined up all nice and neat on the shelves, looking pretty. Which leads to the question, what difference does it make what it looks like? Who besides us is ever going to look inside the pantry? That's not what I'm talking about. By organized, I mean everything has a specific place where it goes, and it's always put back there. This isn't going to happen, because I am not physically strong enough to organize the pantry myself, and nobody else wants to. When they're coming home from grocery shopping, they're tired. They don't feel like asking themselves, "What is this item and where does this go?" They want to get it done and over with. So instead of sorting through the cans, boxes, and bags to find out what's what, they are just going to slide everything over and make a hole wherever there's room, and stick whatever they just bought up on the shelf next to it. Which means that the next time I need something, I'm going to have to search through dozens of other miscellaneous items before I find it. This has also led to wasting money, because the person doing the grocery shopping thinks we're out of something, and buys more. We weren't out of it. We had three or four jars of it, all buried in different places in the pantry.

I can't get this communicated. And I don't feel right making any complaint at all when, after all, he just bought me a new car!

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Thinking the most about this part. My husband is a transit bus driver, and he also has a very strongly introverted personality with a dash of social anxiety. He's not a people person, in other words, yet he works with the public day in and day out, which could be a mental drain on him. Is it possible that by the time he comes home, he's used up, and he's got no interpersonal skills left over for me?
Yes entirely possible. In fact probable.
,Even though I showed some understanding of her partner, I really empathise with LBF herself , because I can be a victim in relationships with a stronger personality. I tend to let others lead and forget my own boundaries. This is not a healthy pattern. You have to learn to respect yourself. No need to be self-sacrificing saint with ......resentment. :) I've been there and its not healthy.
One option, is to approach your partner with "I need to have a serious talk with you. If you don't take it seriously, I want to take a vacation from our marriage. Which might turn into a permanent vacation." What do you think? Too dramatic?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
How's this? Perish the thought of using a same sex marriage example :)(since we are Christians and consider it an abomination), but what about female married to female?
So this would be ideal for women wouldn't it?Both good listeners, both understanding each ones' needs? Or would one become a lazier listener than the other?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So this would be ideal for women wouldn't it? Both good listeners,
A great way to see this stereotypical myth shattered is to just do some reading around here.... :) Even in *written* form you can see that blown apart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Threatening a divorce would definitely not work on him. It was his ex's go-to move. Any time she didn't get her way, she'd threaten divorce. So he eventually learned to tune that out too. After fifteen years, HE was the one who filed. She was going to, anyway, and he knew it, but he beat her to the punch. Now she tells anyone who will listen that he abandoned her.

She was not his partner in any way. She earned just as much money as he did (worked at the same place, even) but would not help pay the bills. That was for him to do. Her money was hers. Nor would she do any housework, because she considered such menial tasks beneath her. Hubby's grandmother would have to come over and help him do it, or it wouldn't get done. When they traveled, she always made them run late, to the point of missing flights or having to pay an extra day for the motel because she wasn't ready to leave by checkout time. And she certainly didn't "leave and cleave." Her family of origin always took precedence over him, no question. Combine this with her constantly accusing him of having an affair if he so much as said hello to another woman... from what he describes, it sounds impossible to live with.

Am I an improvement, despite the fact that I can't pay bills or do much housework either? He assures me I am, and when I wondered in front of his mother, her exact words were, "Night and day." One thing I'm proud of is how well we work as a team when we're getting something done. The best meals are the ones we cook together. When we travel, we're up and out of that motel, car loaded and on the road well before checkout time, and I can't point to anything I've ever personally made him late for. As for the possibility of him ever having an affair.... Nope. Just nope. Totally trustworthy. And he keeps his promises.

Sometimes I wonder how he puts up with me, but then I remember, he put up with her for fifteen years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Am I an improvement, despite the fact that I can't pay bills or do much housework either? He assures me I am, and when I wondered in front of his mother, her exact words were, "Night and day." One thing I'm proud of is how well we work as a team when we're getting something done. The best meals are the ones we cook together. When we're on the road, we're up and out of that motel, car loaded and on the road well before checkout time, and I can't point to anything I've ever personally made him late for. As for the possibility of him ever having an affair.... Nope. Just nope. Totally trustworthy. And he keeps his promises.
I suspect if you guys focus on the positives, that things will improve. But just with the occasional rant, to keep it real. :)

Upvote 0