Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What do you believe is the purpose of these uninhabitable planets? If Earth is the only planet we know capable of supporting life in our solar system, why isn't there only 1 planet orbiting the sun? Why would god create these ginourmous planets?

This to me is a question of perspective. To us it would certainly seem "an awful waste of space." (my apologies to Carl Sagan)

However, we're talking about the sovereign, self-existent eternal God who merely spoke the universe into existence. The planets...the stars...the galaxy...the do all serve a purpose. They show forth the awesome creative power of the Lord!

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Its pretty hard to try and understand the depths of God's creation....

Certainly, as Saucy said, its humbling, exceedingly so in my opinion. Man has used them for a multitude of things... I don't think we can fathom all the intended side effects of their creation. As time passes, we understand more and more from a scientific point of view, but its probably just a tiny fraction of what God's purpose was.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
listed under etc.:p Pluto has been a planet to me since I was a kid. Not willing to give that up yet;)
:clap:
I don't think we can fathom all the intended side effects of their creation.
This to me is a question of perspective. To us it would certainly seem "an awful waste of space." (my apologies to Carl Sagan)
Wastes of space:

Versailles
Versailles_grounds.jpg

LeMans F1Race Track

Runways

Skeet Shooting Land

Empty Atmosphere

Ducts and Plumbing

Sometimes broad space is required to accomplish smaller, more refined tasks.​

Upvote 0

MsJanie

Aug 26, 2007
America the Questionable
✟7,631.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Ok. I'm sort of pressed for time so I just read the main question.

Did you know that recent discoveries show that there may have been life on Mars in the past? There are man made caves and the picture that was released a while back of a face on Mars is most likely some sort of ancient tomb.

The universe goes on forever. We've only seen planets in the Milky Way. It's silly to believe that this is the only planet in the world with life on it.

Upvote 0

thinkfreelivefree

Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma
Jul 19, 2007
Florida
✟8,304.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok. I'm sort of pressed for time so I just read the main question.

Did you know that recent discoveries show that there may have been life on Mars in the past? There are man made caves and the picture that was released a while back of a face on Mars is most likely some sort of ancient tomb.

The universe goes on forever. We've only seen planets in the Milky Way. It's silly to believe that this is the only planet in the world with life on it.

I don't think Earth is the only planet in the universe with life. Mars I'll give you but what about Saturn and Jupiter. Big balls of gas uninhabitable. Why did God put them there?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As I looked up at the stars last night, enjoying the beautiful almost fall air, I felt in awe at the mass expanse of stars and planets that I saw. The answer is obvious to it all. It was created for a purpose and for many many centuries man has mapped out the stars for purposes of navigation and to use as a calendar...way before paper was even invented. Certain constellations meant it was a certain month and they used it to guide their way through to know when harvest was coming, etc...Sailors and the such used stars to get to certain places.

Also, I'm pretty sure God created the whole universe to show off His awesome, wonderful power so that we are humbled by it and we don't think we are the center of the universe.
Navigation... Hmmm. seems like there's got to be an simpler solution to the navigation problem than to surround earth with a galaxy of stars, including other planetary systems. Not to mention stretching out the whole universe over billions of light-years and populating it with countless galaxies.... All this to help men sail the seas before GPS. Same for the calendar problem...
I just cant grasp that all that is just for us, here on this particular planet. It seems so self-centered on our part. A relic from the days of geocentric thought.

Upvote 0

Proph

Aug 15, 2007
Baltimore, MD
✟8,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you believe is the purpose of these uninhabitable planets? If Earth is the only planet we know capable of supporting life in our solar system, why isn't there only 1 planet orbiting the sun? Why would god create these ginourmous planets?

Psalm 19 (New Living Translation)

For the choir director: A psalm of David.

1 The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display his craftsmanship.
2 Day after day they continue to speak;
night after night they make him known.
3 They speak without a sound or word;
their voice is never heard
4 Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
and their words to all the world.
God has made a home in the heavens for the sun.
5 It bursts forth like a radiant bridegroom after his wedding.
It rejoices like a great athlete eager to run the race.
6 The sun rises at one end of the heavens
and follows its course to the other end.
Nothing can hide from its heat.

This helps me understand why GOD did what he did; however I also know. He is the Creator, and we are a creation. He does what he wants, when he wants, and how he wants. And we need to understand, he do not have to answer to us, but us to him.

Upvote 0

Proph

Aug 15, 2007
Baltimore, MD
✟8,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

However, we're talking about the sovereign, self-existent eternal God who merely spoke the universe into existence. The planets...the stars...the galaxy...the do all serve a purpose. They show forth the awesome creative power of the Lord!

OH MY! You just gave GOD the Glory in that statement!
:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

GOD BLESS YOU, I rate this the best answer in the whole FORU.MS, I dont know if any other comments can be posted!!!!!:cool:

Upvote 0

MtSugarloaf

Aug 9, 2007
✟15,192.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
Well...all I got, minus the fluff, they were created for reasons unknown to man and maybe to humble us. Why would God create these giant masses that, for the most part, can't be seen with the naked eye (especially for ancient man) to humble us? Too show man that "hey, I can create useless balls of gasses and rock, how bout that!"? Maybe in our immediate solar system, I might be able to give you that. but what about solar systems billions of miles away?

I honestly don't know. Why did God create flies? I think perhaps one reason why God created the universe as big as He did and as many planets, galaxies, etc, as He did is just to show us how big and majestic He is. As the psalmist said, "The heavens declare the glory of God." I just think about it all and the question that comes to my mind *isn't* Does God exist? rather Just what kind of God is this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aces High

Veteran
Jun 27, 2006
Sydney
✟17,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well...all I got, minus the fluff, they were created for reasons unknown to man and maybe to humble us. Why would God create these giant masses that, for the most part, can't be seen with the naked eye (especially for ancient man) to humble us? Too show man that "hey, I can create useless balls of gasses and rock, how bout that!"? Maybe in our immediate solar system, I might be able to give you that. but what about solar systems billions of miles away?
Also, I'm not sure where you're going with the gravitational forces. Help me out.
Well since there is no reason given for their creation, most people can do is speculate, just because there is no reason given, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Take away any of the outer planets (with possibly the exception of the demoted planet Pluto) and the others will move closer to the sun with Mercury and possibly Venus falling into the sun. Take away all the planets except earth and it will fall into the sun. Each planet acts as a counter balance, if you will, to the others holding them in the orbits that they occupy. It is because the earth occupies the orbit it does that the earth sustains the life it does. All the planets have a purpose and I believe that is why God made them.

Upvote 0

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Take away any of the outer planets (with possibly the exception of the demoted planet Pluto) and the others will move closer to the sun with Mercury and possibly Venus falling into the sun. Take away all the planets except earth and it will fall into the sun. Each planet acts as a counter balance, if you will, to the others holding them in the orbits that they occupy. It is because the earth occupies the orbit it does that the earth sustains the life it does. All the planets have a purpose and I believe that is why God made them.

If the outer planets didn't exist, the inner planets would simply find slightly different stable orbits.

Our own moon does more to keep us from "falling" into the sun than Jupiter or Saturn does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
RealityCheck said:
If the outer planets didn't exist, the inner planets would simply find slightly different stable orbits.
Without the outer planets gravitational pull to offset the Sun’s gravitational pull what would keep the three inner planets from falling into the sun? Earth’s gravitational pull is significantly smaller than the five outer planets combined.
RealityCheck said:
Our own moon does more to keep us from "falling" into the sun than Jupiter or Saturn does.
How does that work? Certainly the moon’s gravitational pull affects the earth but the moon is much smaller than earth and it’s the earth that has captured the moon in its gravitational pull. The moon orbits earth not the other way around. How could the moon’s gravitational pull have a greater effect than the far greater gravitational pull of the five outer planets?
RealityCheck said:
If God created the planets for some purpose, why aren't they mentioned in the Bible? Anywhere?
Any answer to that would be speculation only. Why do you think they should be included in the Bible?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The other planets are the result of natural processes. No special reason is necessary, even if you believe the universe had an ultimate purpose.
Its like asking "What is God's purpose for the little arroyo in my backyard." No purpose required... it was just carved out by the last big rainstorm. There is a similar explanation for the formation of the planets.
Even if you believe in creation, does every little thing have God's conscious intention behind it? Or could it just be his system working itself out?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Except the planets aren’t sitting out there doing nothing, they have a purpose.
Everything is doing something. The little arroyo drains water and provides lizard habitat etc. Just because it interacts with the world around it doesnt mean it has a purpose.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.