Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a story of a 19th century whaler named James Bartley who was swallowed by a whale, then was cut out of its stomach two days later and lived to tell about it.
1891, February: James Bartley, the ’Modern Jonah’

Jonah 1:17 (KJV) Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
Jonah 2:10 (KJV) And the Lord spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.
Jonah 3:1 And the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the second time, saying, 2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.

Jonah preached they should repent. They repented fasting and dressed in shabby sack cloth.

Jesus referred to the story of Jonah in his teaching (Matthew 12:38-42). The concept of resurrection had been taught to the Jews in the story of Jonah, for no one can survive three days in the belly of a whale, can they? Whether or not you doubt the story of Jonah, do you think it suggests the possibility of resurrection? Are there instances in modern times of people being declared dead and returning to life?

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It not only suggest that Jonah was dead but Jesus confirms that Jonah actually died and God has risen him from dead . If you think otherwise then It could not be used by Jesus as sign for resurrection . That was the sign for Jews , they got only that one because of thier unbeliev Matthew 12:39

Jesus was not vomited by fish , the sign was that He like Jonah was dead for 3 days and rose from dead .

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a story of a 19th century whaler named James Bartley who was swallowed by a whale, then was cut out of its stomach two days later and lived to tell about it.
1891, February: James Bartley, the ’Modern Jonah’

Jonah 1:17 (KJV) Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
Jonah 2:10 (KJV) And the Lord spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.
Jonah 3:1 And the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the second time, saying, 2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.

Jonah preached they should repent. They repented fasting and dressed in shabby sack cloth.

Jesus referred to the story of Jonah in his teaching (Matthew 12:38-42). The concept of resurrection had been taught to the Jews in the story of Jonah, for no one can survive three days in the belly of a whale, can they? Whether or not you doubt the story of Jonah, do you think it suggests the possibility of resurrection? Are there instances in modern times of people being declared dead and returning to life?
I don't have an answer for the last question, but the Jonah picture does indeed depict resurrection and we can know this because Yeshua used the imagery and related it to himself raising after 3 days and nights. In fact, the sign of Jonah was truly the one sign given concerning this. He was there, he was gone, and he was back.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't have an answer for the last question, but the Jonah picture does indeed depict resurrection and we can know this because Yeshua used the imagery and related it to himself raising after 3 days and nights. In fact, the sign of Jonah was truly the one sign given concerning this. He was there, he was gone, and he was back.

If you read scripture Jesus was raised on the third day not after three days and three nights.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you read scripture Jesus was raised on the third day not after three days and three nights.
This isn't the thread for that discussion. I don't agree... he was specific... he HIMSELF used "3 days and nights" which is a Hebrew idiom that means "any part of 3 consecutive days and nights." So not 72 hours, but parts of 3 straight days and nights. His words Gordon... so whether your theology has room for that or not is between you and God not you and I. And.. he HIMSELF also used Jonah as the sign... it is what it is, at least for me.

Be blessed.
Ken

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And what does, "if you read Scripture" mean? Are you saying I am an idiot? That I don't read the bible? That I don't study? Pray? Why? Because I disagree on the timing of an event we both believed happened? Wow... no wonder there is so MUCH division within Christianity. :(

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I most certainly do why do you ask?
I asked to clarify what you said in post #4.I did not understand why you posted that comment. I thought you were denying the resurrection of the dead. Thanks for your reply. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I asked to clarify what you said in post #4.I did not understand why you posted that comment. I thought you were denying the resurrection of the dead. Thanks for your reply. :)

Not a problem...
I simply meant in my humble opinion some people have strange interpretations of scripture. It is clear to me that Jesus’ reference to the sign of Jonah was a metaphor for his time in the belly of the tomb and his resurrection on the third day. Of course that is my interpretation for what that is worth.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not a problem...
I simply meant in my humble opinion some people have strange interpretations of scripture. It is clear to me that Jesus’ reference to the sign of Jonah was a metaphor for his time in the belly of the tomb and his resurrection on the third day. Of course that is my interpretation for what that is worth.
Why is the resurrection a rebuke, an indictment, a cutting away, of Israel?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Emphasis on 'story', as in 'a tall tale'.
While some miracle stories seem exaggerated, yet I believe miracles have occurred.

I was watching the news one day when I got such a report. It is on the Internet now. Someone hooked up to a heart monitor in a hospital was clinically dead. No electric activity in his heart. His son got the news his father was dead. What happened next was miraculous:
Man Declared Dead Comes Back to Life

There are other reports of people coming back to life as well. It is not a frequent occurrence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While some miracle stories seem exaggerated. yet I believe miracles have occurred.
I wasn't commenting on miracle stories in general -- just this particular story about a sailor found in a whale.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is the resurrection a rebuke, an indictment, a cutting away, of Israel?
I mean Jesus could have said, "Bad Israel, no more signs" but instead He said "Bad Israel, you are going to see the resurrection". So why is the resurrection a reprimand to Israel?

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I mean Jesus could have said, "Bad Israel, no more signs" but instead He said "Bad Israel, you are going to see the resurrection". So why is the resurrection a reprimand to Israel?

Jesus said they will se no more signs ( he alredy performed multiple miracles ) but only last one miracle which is resurrection .

Matthew 27:25

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So why is the resurrection a punishment for Israel?

It is not , the punishment for unbeliev was that he did no perform more miracles / signs for them but in his mercy he gave them last one sign/miracle and that was the Jonah prophecy .

Jesus always asked people if they believed that he is able to do it ( heal blindness for example ) or said that because you believed your faith healed you. He did not perform miracles when people did not believe in him.

Matthew 13:58

Jews were punished for murder because they murdered innocent person well the Son of God on top of that .

Upvote 0