Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Popular Christian preacher and theologian John Piper took to Twitter Friday afternoon to clear up any confusion over his name appearing in an ad that ran on Fox News and in The Washington Post.

Piper said he “did not sign and would not sign” the ad.

The advertisement in question — “Christians Against Trumpism and Political Extremism” — seemed to include a host of signatories. It was later revealed the ad’s backers, Stand Up Republic, led by Evan McMullin and Mindy Finn, was really just issuing a “thank you” to the people it believes have condemned President Donald Trump.

Our ad in the @washingtonpost today – running along with a national campaign on @FoxNews and many other outlets. Remember: there ARE Christians who stood up against Trumpism in this dark time. pic.twitter.com/oapCaQbm5J

— Christians Against Trumpism (@AgainstTrumpism) October 30, 2020

Even the Post’s religion reporter, Sarah Pulliam Bailey, seemed initially confused by the group of names printed at the bottom of the advertisement.

Continued below.
John Piper Clears Name, Says He Did Not Sign ‘Christians Against Trumpism’ Ad

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Popular Christian preacher and theologian John Piper took to Twitter Friday afternoon to clear up any confusion over his name appearing in an ad that ran on Fox News and in The Washington Post.

Piper said he “did not sign and would not sign” the ad.

The advertisement in question — “Christians Against Trumpism and Political Extremism” — seemed to include a host of signatories. It was later revealed the ad’s backers, Stand Up Republic, led by Evan McMullin and Mindy Finn, was really just issuing a “thank you” to the people it believes have condemned President Donald Trump.

Our ad in the @washingtonpost today – running along with a national campaign on @FoxNews and many other outlets. Remember: there ARE Christians who stood up against Trumpism in this dark time. pic.twitter.com/oapCaQbm5J

— Christians Against Trumpism (@AgainstTrumpism) October 30, 2020

Even the Post’s religion reporter, Sarah Pulliam Bailey, seemed initially confused by the group of names printed at the bottom of the advertisement.

Continued below.
John Piper Clears Name, Says He Did Not Sign ‘Christians Against Trumpism’ Ad
Evan McMullen sounded like such a nice guy four years ago. But sticking someone's name on a list of signatories without their actual permission is awfully low.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Piper did imply moral equivalence between killing the unborn and writing mean tweets, in his recent letter on the election, however. It was horrendous moral logic. Fail.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Piper did imply moral equivalence between killing the unborn and writing mean tweets, in his recent letter on the election, however. It was horrendous moral logic. Fail.
Even I, as a Never Trumper, don't see those as moral equivalences. Biden is the far more reprehensible candidate because he favors the cold and calculated killing of innocent human beings. And he pretends that's a wholesome thing.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Evan McMullen sounded like such a nice guy four years ago. But sticking someone's name on a list of signatories without their actual permission is awfully low.
Evan McMullen has now announced he will be voting for Biden. That 'Never Trumper' McMullen ends up being just another Democrat. This 'Never Trumper', me, continues on in resisting both Trump AND the Democratic abortion machine.

For a principled 'Never Trumper' who has not cut and run, it's gotta be Ben Sasse.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Back in the late summer? Of 2016 I had several friends messaging me, urging me to consider Evan McMullin, in order to split the vote and we would wind up with a convention of states. I told them: 1. Don't tell me how to vote, I'll make up my own mind- and 2. I was no way going to vote for Hillary Clinton, but if I had decided I couldn't vote for Trump, I was going to write in one of the candidates which had gone through the sweat, blood, and tears of the whole campaign from the beginning including the debates. So it would be Ted Cruz. There was just something I didn't like about Evan McMullin, including the way he parachuted in at the last minute. Turns out my instincts were right.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Back in the late summer? Of 2016 I had several friends messaging me, urging me to consider Evan McMullin, in order to split the vote and we would wind up with a convention of states. I told them: 1. Don't tell me how to vote, I'll make up my own mind- and 2. I was no way going to vote for Hillary Clinton, but if I had decided I couldn't vote for Trump, I was going to write in one of the candidates which had gone through the sweat, blood, and tears of the whole campaign from the beginning including the debates. So it would be Ted Cruz. There was just something I didn't like about Evan McMullin, including the way he parachuted in at the last minute. Turns out my instincts were right.
I was an early Carly Fiorina supporter, then Marco Rubio. Cruz would have been OK too. I was not enamored with Kasich though. Couldn't stand Trump, and was rather angered by how the media helped Trump win the nomination.

Trump did a hostile takeover of the Republican Party. But a lot of us REALLY DIDN'T LIKE THAT. I hoped for a Republican who would bolt the party that we could support. McMullen had the slimmest possibility. If he could get ONE state (Mormon Utah) and both the Republicans and Democrats failed to get 270 electoral votes, they might have to compromise on McMullen. Although theoretically possible it was the slimmest most improbable thing. But it would have been better than Hillary, and I think also better than Trump.

I think the past four years have not been good for McMullen. He's basically turned into a Democrat. Sad.

Anyhow, I didn't know about the American Solidarity Party back then. But I voted for them this time. Not a prayer of a chance of victory.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0