Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
“So Piper, just be simple a minute, do you believe Jesus died for all people?

Just give us a straight out answer. And I’m not going to play politics, I’m not going to answer another question. I’m going to do this.
Before I answer it, i’m going to force you to define for all people, i’m going to say, now just tell me exactly what you mean and i’ll answer you, because I dont want to answer in a way that would cause you to misunderstand.

What do you mean by for all people?

Now I think I know what most, is it okay if I use the word arminians? just, just most people who, who are having a hard time, they’re not all arminians, having a hard time with limited atonement. That is the atonement that effects something special for a limited group.

I think I know what they all mean, and i’m going to quote Miller’s Erikson’s theology because I think he’s right. He says:

“God intended the atonement to make salvation possible for all persons. Christ died for all persons, but this atoning death becomes effective only when accepted by the individual. This is the view of all arminians.” closed quote.

If that’s the view of all arminians I totally agree with it. No qualifications. So if you say “did christ die for all people?” and I say “what do you mean for all people?” and you answer “I mean did he die in such a way so that anybody anywhere who believes will be saved by that blood?”
I say “absolutely he did.” That’s John 3:16 pure and simple. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son in such a way that whoever believes will not perish, I believe that totally without qualification. Every individual person on planet earth who believes in Jesus has their life covered by the blood of Jesus. so you preach that, you stand up on sunday morning and you say christ died in such a way so that anybody in this room who believes, your sins are covered by the blood of Jesus.
(John Piper – Acts 29 conference – The Whole Glory of God – Imputation – Impartation of His righteousness – Part 2)
John Piper Agrees With The Arminian View Of Universal Atonement
I've always loved John Piper. Now I better understand why. In his heart of hearts, John Piper, like John Calvin, agrees with unlimited atonement.

John Calvin: Not a Calvinist

70bcb33c19d45f5f5a8cf575ad71645f.jpg

Ecclesiastes 7:18
It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. Whoever fears God will avoid all extremes.

1 Corinthians 8:2-3
Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn’t really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.

Last edited:

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I've always loved John Piper. Now I better understand why. In his heart of hearts, John Piper, like John Calvin, agrees with unlimited atonement.
Sorry, but no. That is not unlimited atonement. All Calvinists and Reformed agree that whoever (or even "whosoever") believes, their sins were indeed paid for by Christ. You have not shown where Piper believes that everyone's sins were paid for by Christ. THAT is unlimited atonement.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Sorry, but no. That is not unlimited atonement. All Calvinists and Reformed agree that whoever (or even "whosoever") believes, their sins were indeed paid for by Christ. You have not shown where Piper believes that everyone's sins were paid for by Christ. THAT is unlimited atonement.

Perhaps John Piper was reading John Calvin:

Calvinist or non-Calvinist, these aren't matters that are necessary to salvation.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Perhaps John Piper was reading John Calvin:

Calvinist or non-Calvinist, these aren't matters that are necessary to salvation.
Calvin said, in your link: "He makes this favor common to all, because it is propoundable to all, and not because it is in reality extended to all..." as shown by the fact that not all actually are saved. <my paraphrase of the rest of his sentence not shown in quotes.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status