Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just that it's awesome and reaches believers even now, nearly 350 years after it's first publication.

Some time after I was saved my husband found a modern English version for me to read, as I couldn't follow the older English it was originally written in. However, when I read it I could totally relate in a very deep and personal way. Bunyan does such a beautiful job of describing the Christian walk, and it's a book I think every Christian should read.

:)

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,450.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
John Bunyan's Methods of a full salvation... In which the witness of the Spirit is picked up at the Porter's House. And how I would teach the doctrine....

1. Salvation - As the Christian leaves the City of Destruction and makes his way to the Celestial City.
2. Sanctification - At the interpreter's house - I like the old Methodist way sanctification was taught. If the old timers could not sense the sweet spirit of Christ in the experience they would tell you to come back tomorrow night. And smile a little as they said it, especially knowing that there were revivals and good services ahead. My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you... - Galatians 4:19 Once the Christ was formed the soul was considered sanctified.
3. The Witness of the Spirit - At the porter's house

The City of Destruction The place where evangelists set people on their journey to the Celestial City
The Slough of Despair This represents the mire that well intentioned religious people bring to the way
Legalities Mountain The enemy attempt to indoctrinate pilgrims with doctrine designed to inhibit spiritual light
Plain of Instruction The evangelist sets the pilgrim on the right direction from the “Mr. Worldly Wiseman”
The Wicket Gate The sinners prayer. Salvation.... The pilgrim now enters into the Lord’s country
The Interpreters House This is a time of instruction where caring people instruct and disciple. Sanctification.
Porters House The journey to a higher place where one receives the witness of the spirit.
Valley of Humiliation Time for some trials and testing!
Valley of the Shadow of Death Time to overcome the wicked one!
Vanity Fair Discipled and proven Christians now witness to their present world.
Doubting Castle Christians choose path that takes them down to the terrible giant despair.
Lucre Mountain Temptations of material goods
Demas Silver Mines Represents those trapped by their material possessions and come to a place of all work.
Delectable Mountains Represents revival and a season of refreshing
An Entangling Net The flatterers will try to flatter pilgrims unto a place of high minded spiritual bondage
Enchanted Ground ground to a sound spiritual sleep!
Beulah Land Experienced Christian faith, hope, and charity that shine brightly night and day!
Great River The river flows through various places in the Pilgrims Progress and represents death.
Final Destination After crossing the river, either the Celestial City or the Underworld… Which will it be?

And a story here of an old timer picking up salvation under such methods.... The Life of George Clark Rankin

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,450.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Gems by Mr Bunyan...

An Exposition on the First Ten Chapters Of Genesis And Part of the Eleventh
A Few Sighs from Hell, or the Groans of a Damned Soul, 1658
A Discourse Upon the Pharisee and the Publican, 1685
A Holy Life
Christ a Complete Saviour (The Intercession of Christ And Who Are Privileged in It), 1692
Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ, 1678
Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, 1666
Light for Them that Sit in Darkness
Praying with the Spirit and with Understanding too, 1663
Of Antichrist and His Ruin, 1692
Reprobation Asserted, 1674
Saved by Grace, 1675
Seasonal Counsel or Suffering Saints in the Furnace – Advice to Persecuted Christians in Their Trials & Tribulations, 1684
Solomon's Temple Spiritualized
Some Gospel Truths Opened, 1656
The Acceptable Sacrifice
The Desire of the Righteous Granted
The Doctrine of the Law and Grace Unfolded, 1659
The Doom and Downfall of the Fruitless Professor (Or The Barren Fig Tree), 1682
The End of the World, The Resurrection of the Dead and Eternal Judgment, 1665
The Fear of God – What it is, and what is it is not, 1679
The Greatness of the Soul and Unspeakableness of its Loss Thereof, 1683
The Heavenly Footman, 1698
The Holy City or the New Jerusalem, 1665
The Holy War – The Losing and Taking Again of the Town of Man-soul (The Holy War Made by Shaddai upon Diabolus, for the Regaining of the World), 1682
The Life and Death of Mr Badman, 1680
The Pilgrim's Progress, 1678
The Strait Gate, Great Difficulty of Going to Heaven, 1676
The Saint's Knowledge of Christ's Love, or The Unsearchable Riches of Christ, 1692
The Water of Life or The Richness and Glory of the Gospel, 1688
The Work of Jesus Christ as an Advocate, 1688
The Desire of the Righteous Granted
The Doctrine of the Law and Grace Unfolded, 1659
The Doom and Downfall of the Fruitless Professor (Or The Barren Fig Tree), 1682
The End of the World, The Resurrection of the Dead and Eternal Judgment, 1665
The Fear of God – What it is, and what is it is not, 1679
The Greatness of the Soul and Unspeakableness of its Loss Thereof, 1683
The Heavenly Footman, 1698
The Holy City or the New Jerusalem, 1665
The Holy War – The Losing and Taking Again of the Town of Man-soul (The Holy War Made by Shaddai upon Diabolus, for the Regaining of the World), 1682
The Life and Death of Mr Badman, 1680
The Pilgrim's Progress, 1678
The Strait Gate, Great Difficulty of Going to Heaven, 1676
The Saint's Knowledge of Christ's Love, or The Unsearchable Riches of Christ, 1692
The Water of Life or The Richness and Glory of the Gospel, 1688
The Work of Jesus Christ as an Advocate, 1688

Upvote 0

TJB

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2021
London
✟57,249.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just that it's awesome and reaches believers even now, nearly 350 years after it's first publication.

Some time after I was saved my husband found a modern English version for me to read, as I couldn't follow the older English it was originally written in. However, when I read it I could totally relate in a very deep and personal way. Bunyan does such a beautiful job of describing the Christian walk, and it's a book I think every Christian should read.

Thankyou

Upvote 0

TJB

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2021
London
✟57,249.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Is it true that it is the second most read book after the Bible?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is it true that it is the second most read book after the Bible?

I don't know... I believe it's one of the most highly recommended books, but not sure how many actually read it compared to the Bible.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,450.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
John Bunyan wrote a work called Solomons Temple Spiritualized. In which how I would picture it....

1. The outer gates / walls - Justification - We enter in the gate by faith
2. The Altar - Christ is our sacrifice
3. The Laver - Sanctification - Catechism if you will.
(lets go through the door into the inner temple)
4. Table of Shewbread - The word of God - Spiritual food for you!
5. The Lightstand - Spiritual light - Faith, hope, charity, joy, warmth... etc.
6. The Altar of Golden Incense - Prayer and praise
7. The Holy of Holies - The Baptism of the Holy Spirit - The Anointing/Chrisma

Temple_zps43c1911c.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,450.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
John Bunyan was a tinker... Even in London, when Bunyan preached, he attracted throngs of people. The story is told that Dr. Owen was one of his frequent hearers in London. When that erudite and highly educated divine was sneeringly asked by Charles II how he could go to hear a tinker preach, Owen responded: "I would give all my learning to be able to preach as well as the tinker."

• Informative
Reactions: Isaiah 2:22
Upvote 0

TJB

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2021
London
✟57,249.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
John Bunyan was a tinker... Even in London, when Bunyan preached, he attracted throngs of people. The story is told that Dr. Owen was one of his frequent hearers in London. When that erudite and highly educated divine was sneeringly asked by Charles II how he could go to hear a tinker preach, Owen responded: "I would give all my learning to be able to preach as well as the tinker."

It's a shame that the powerful are often short-sighted to the genuine inspiration

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0