St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In a medical first, surgeons at Mass General hospital have transplanted a pig kidney into a 62 year old renal failure patient. The organ is from a genetically altered strain of pigs that is less likely to incite rejection. Pig kidneys are also very similar in size and shape to human kidneys. And they have 2 kidneys, just like us, so the donor won’t suffer any problems.

For years, animal-to-human xenotransplantation has been considered as a possible solution to a lack of human organs. The link has more details on how the genetic editing was accomplished. It will be very interesting to see how this works out.

In a First, Genetically Edited Pig Kidney Is Transplanted Into Human

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They’ve been using porcine heart valves for decades; the donor doesn’t survive.
Im sure no one is interested in sewing back up and rehabbing the 1 kidney donor pig either. He probably wont even get eaten.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Im sure no one is interested in sewing back up and rehabbing the 1 kidney donor pig either. He probably wont even get eaten.
Considering that the pig is heavily, heavily gene modified, I don't think people would be interested in eating it, donation or no donation.

I think it's a shame that humanity doesn't appreciate animals enough to give them a good life even when they save a human life. At least not when they're not classically cute like a rescue dog. If I ever had to receive a pig kidney donation, I'd want to take that pig home as a pet or at least have it live out its remaining days in an animal sanctuary.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a medical first, surgeons at Mass General hospital have transplanted a pig kidney into a 62 year old renal failure patient. The organ is from a genetically altered strain of pigs that is less likely to incite rejection. Pig kidneys are also very similar in size and shape to human kidneys. And they have 2 kidneys, just like us, so the donor won’t suffer any problems.

For years, animal-to-human xenotransplantation has been considered as a possible solution to a lack of human organs. The link has more details on how the genetic editing was accomplished. It will be very interesting to see how this works out.

In a First, Genetically Edited Pig Kidney Is Transplanted Into Human

My grandfather had a pig-valve inserted into his heart, but personally from what little I do know about organ transplants, I'd rather die than have a transplant of almost any kind ... but that's me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They’ve been using porcine heart valves for decades; the donor doesn’t survive.
But a pig kidney transplant could be life-saving for the recipient. And then he'd only have to worry about getting swine flu. :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
My grandfather had a pig-valve inserted into his heart, but personally from what little I do know about organ transplants, I'd rather die than have a transplant of almost any kind ... but that's me.
okay. more transplants for other people.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is definitely a trade-off and it all depends on what the person prioritizes (life extension with quite a medication regimen and heavily limited activities vs. just passing on)

I actually do have an (extended) family who was the recipient of a transplant (my mom's cousin). It's quite a medication routine they have to do (ironically, some of which are known to be very hard on the very organ you just had swapped out)

Immunosuppressive drugs - which means you'll always be more susceptible to infections, get sick quite a bit, and vaccines don't work (or barely work)
Steroid drugs - if you're familiar with Decadron or prednisone, those come with quite the profile of side effects and dosages have to be progressively increased over time
Antimetabolite drugs - which are known to cause nausea, heart palpitations, and hair loss
mTOR inhibitors - which are also known for causing potential heart issues, as well as some other unpleasant side effects like connective & soft tissue breakdown that causes unpleasant things gum recession which then leads to tooth loss and easier tendon tares.

For me it would come down to age. If I was a 20 or 30-something with kidney/liver failure, I'd obviously want to stick around a while longer. If I was already in my 60's, I'd probably pass on getting a transplant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is definitely a trade-off and it all depends on what the person prioritizes (life extension with quite a medication regimen and heavily limited activities vs. just passing on)

I actually do have an (extended) family who was the recipient of a transplant (my mom's cousin). It's quite a medication routine they have to do (ironically, some of which are known to be very hard on the very organ you just had swapped out)

Immunosuppressive drugs - which means you'll always be more susceptible to infections, get sick quite a bit, and vaccines don't work (or barely work)
Steroid drugs - if you're familiar with Decadron or prednisone, those come with quite the profile of side effects and dosages have to be progressively increased over time
Antimetabolite drugs - which are known to cause nausea, heart palpitations, and hair loss
mTOR inhibitors - which are also known for causing potential heart issues, as well as some other unpleasant side effects like connective & soft tissue breakdown that causes unpleasant things gum recession which then leads to tooth loss and easier tendon tares.

For me it would come down to age. If I was a 20 or 30-something with kidney/liver failure, I'd obviously want to stick around a while longer. If I was already in my 60's, I'd probably pass on getting a transplant.

You laid out briefly some of the same reasons why I wouldn't submit myself for an organ transplant. However, I wouldn't want to stick around for very long if I had failing organs, even if I was younger. I think it'd be better to be with the Lord whether young or old, either way. But that's me. I'm not implying anyone else has to follow suite. It's a personal choice ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0