Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WASHINGTON — In a bid to align his unity pitch with his pursuit of a bold agenda, President Joe Biden has been selling his $1.9 trillion Covid-19 package as bipartisan.

But that message crashed into a hard reality early Saturday morning when the House passed the bill — without a single Republican vote.

How does he do that? By changing the meaning of bipartisan.

In recent weeks, Biden’s chief of staff Ron Klain has marshaled the White House messaging apparatus to make the case that the president's aid package is bipartisan, not because any GOP lawmakers have signed on, but because polls show it has support from a large majority of the public, and because some Republican mayors and officials outside Washington have backed it.
and viola! A new reality is here.

Good job joe! You and your cronies have passed a bill said to help people during Covid where only 9%, at best 21% goes to anything Covid related and 79-91% goes to Democratic pet projects.

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
WASHINGTON — In a bid to align his unity pitch with his pursuit of a bold agenda, President Joe Biden has been selling his $1.9 trillion Covid-19 package as bipartisan.

But that message crashed into a hard reality early Saturday morning when the House passed the bill — without a single Republican vote.

How does he do that? By changing the meaning of bipartisan.

In recent weeks, Biden’s chief of staff Ron Klain has marshaled the White House messaging apparatus to make the case that the president's aid package is bipartisan, not because any GOP lawmakers have signed on, but because polls show it has support from a large majority of the public, and because some Republican mayors and officials outside Washington have backed it.

Wait a minute, are you saying that Joe Biden is calling his plan "bipartisan" only because it has bipartisan support with the American public?

(Barbarian checks)

A 53 percent majority of Republicans support passing Biden's entire stimulus plan, with 50 percent citing the direct payments as the most convincing reason to support the plan, according to a survey that Democratic polling organization Navigator Research released on Thursday. A February 3 poll from Quinnipiac University, which is nonpartisan, found that 64 percent of Republicans supported the $1,400 checks while 37 percent supported the larger stimulus package.

The Navigator poll found that 73 percent of all Americans support the stimulus package, including 48 percent who "strongly" support it, while only 19 percent oppose the plan.
Half of Republicans back Joe Biden's COVID relief plan because of stimulus checks: Poll

What an outrage! I mean, those republicans belong to Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy. They have no right to side with Biden. Or do they? Maybe the problem isn't that so many republicans agree with Biden, and the real problem is that the republican leadership doesn't agree with republicans.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Wait a minute, are you saying that Joe Biden is calling his plan "bipartisan" only because it has bipartisan support with the American public?
Uhhhhh, last time I checked the American public does not vote in Congress. Bipartisan refers to party alignment (who make congressional votes) not 'support' of the public in general.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A few months ago I was hoping for the same miracle that President Biden was hoping for. That since Trump was out of office that the Republicans would then join in a sincere effort with an honest Commander in Chief in getting desperately needed help to the lower rungs of American society who have been neglected so long. We see that the miracle did not come through. The Republican loyalty to Putin (via Trump) is now galvanized.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Uhhhhh, last time I checked the American public does not vote in Congress.

But they do vote in general elections. And they count, regardless of what Mitch or Kevin think. As I said, the problem is not that rank-and-file republicans support Biden's bill, the problem is that republican congressional leaders do not support republicans.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We see that the miracle did not come through.

Apparently, it's happening on Main Street, but not on Capitol Hill.

Republican Voters Support Biden's American Rescue Act. Why Don't Their Politicians?
"73% of Americans support President Biden’s American Rescue Plan, including 53% of Republicans." Unless those Republicans are elected to Congress. Those guys hate it.
Republican Voters Support Biden's American Rescue Act. Why Don't Their Politicians?

Unless they can find a way to get primary opponents for private citizens, there's not much the party bosses can do about it.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What an outrage! I mean, those republicans belong to Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy.

Never had too much use for Mitch McConnell, but I always enjoyed the work of Kevin McCarthy, especially his superlative role as Dr. Miles Bennell in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. :)

km.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A few months ago I was hoping for the same miracle that President Biden was hoping for. That since Trump was out of office that the Republicans would then join in a sincere effort with an honest Commander in Chief in getting desperately needed help to the lower rungs of American society who have been neglected so long. We see that the miracle did not come through. The Republican loyalty to Putin (via Trump) is now galvanized.

Is that sort of like the Democrat loyalty to XI Jinping (via Biden)..? :)

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Never had too much use for Mitch McConnell, but I always enjoyed the work of Kevin McCarthy, especially his superlative role as Dr. Miles Bennell in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. :)

The Kevin McCarthy I'm thinking of, is more of a comedian than a serious sci-fi movie actor.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is that sort of like the Democrat loyalty to XI Jinping (via Biden)..?

You're thinking about a different president...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump praised Chinese President Xi Jinping Saturday after the ruling Communist party announced it was eliminating the two-term limit for the presidency, paving the way for Xi to serve indefinitely, according to audio aired by CNN.
Trump praises Chinese president extending tenure 'for life'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bipartisan refers to party alignment (who make congressional votes) not 'support' of the public in general.

Hmm...

Large bipartisan majority of Americans favor more COVID economic relief
Large majorities of Democrats, Republicans, and independents, as well as Americans of all income levels would approve of a COVID relief package.
Large bipartisan majority of Americans favor more COVID economic relief

Apparently it does mean support of the public in general. It's "bipartisan"because it has substantial support from republicans as well as from democrats. That's what the word means.

Yes, I know the republican party bosses would like to take that choice from their followers but I don't see how they're going to be able to do it.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The media says bipartisanship is now not between political leaders and viola! It becomes real and supported by other media outlets.

Say it enough times and people believe it.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Someone should let Webster know

Definition of bipartisan
: of, relating to, or involving members of two parties a bipartisan commission specifically : marked by or involving cooperation, agreement, and compromise between two major political parties bipartisan support for the bill

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barb, BArb, Barb,.....you grasp so slowly......as above: Uhhhhh, last time I checked the American public does not vote in Congress.

Turns out, that's not the definition of the word:

bipartisan
Definitions
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
  • adjective Of, consisting of, or supported by members of two parties, especially two major political parties.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
  • adjective relating to, or supported by two groups, especially by two political parties
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
  • adjective supported by both sides
Nothing about Congress. As I said, the problem isn't that most republicans support Biden's bill. It's that most republicans don't support republican congressional leaders.

Poll: 60% of Republicans back Biden's $1.9 trillion relief package

Poll: 60% of Republicans back Biden's $1.9 trillion relief package

• Agree
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The media says bipartisanship is now not between political leaders and viola! It becomes real and supported by other media outlets.

Say it enough times and people believe it.

See above. I get the difference. For republicans, decisions must be made at the top, and the rank and file must obey. Consequently, if Mitch decides that he doesn't want to work with democrats, he feels empowered to tell republican voters that they must obey him.

Different political philosophies.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hate it when you misunderstand my words Barb so I will use easier wording in the future to avoid confusion......

If you have to redefine "bipartisan"to exclude the conventional definition, isn't that an important clue for you? I understand that it's hard, when the vast majority of republicans support Biden's bill, and the GOP leadership aligns themselves against the wishes of their own party.

But it seems to me that the republican leaders are out of step with everyone else.

Biden,democrat leaders, democrat voters, and most republican voters: "We want this bill to pass."

Republican congressmen, and a minority of republican voters: "We don't want it to pass."

One of these groups is bipartisan. Can you guess which one?

Pretty much everyone can. And I kinda get why a few people disagree. This is a discussion of who matters in America. Some think the "important people" in Washington matter, and the rest of us don't. Biden thinks "bipartisan" means ordinary Americans coming together instead of the "elite" deciding for us.

I think Biden is right.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If you have to redefine "bipartisan"to exclude the conventional definition, isn't that an important clue for you?
I gave you the Merriam-Webster definition (which is what I almost always use). Not my fault if you can't understand it.
If you read the definitiion you will know which one......

• Winner
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I gave you the Merriam-Webster definition (which is what I almost always use). Not my fault if you can't understand it.

They have to change definitions so they can support the Democratic Media propaganda

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Biden,democrat leaders, democrat voters, and most republican voters: "We want this bill to pass."

Republican congressmen, and a minority of republican voters: "We don't want it to pass."

Yep. The one both democrats and republicans supported. The bill up for consideration. That's the definition of "bipartisan." Support from both parties.

I realize that some republican congressmen think that the only people who count are the party rulers inside the Beltway. So they want to change definitions so they can support the "elite people" propaganda. But this is America, where even people who aren't important congressmen count. And a bipartisan majority of Americans back the bill:
60% of Republican voters support Biden's $1.9 trillion stimulus plan
60% of Republican voters support Biden's $1.9 trillion stimulus plan, poll finds

Most republicans support the bill, as do most democrats. McConnell and McCarthy will just have to get used to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.