Jigoku (Japanese Hell in Buddhism) & seeing why it's pointless condemning Christian Belief in Hell

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Loving to study comparative religions, I have to say it can be difficult living in secular/atheistic or humanistic environments that have biases against Abrahamic religions while saying they value others more accepting. Bernie Sanders called out someone recently in a hearing.

(
).​

I was disturbed by when saying a Christian with beliefs about Hell or Judgement could not hold an office because it was prejudiced. My response was slaves in chains since the founding of the U.S believed in God bringing judgement against unjust slave masters, just like he did with the Hebrews in the Exodus fleeing Pharoah (Exodus 5-12). The same goes for Muslims slaves brought over to the Americas...and MLK / others believing in the Jeremaid concept that Puritans did.

But it seems very out of order witnessing the way Christians (and anyone similar) are villified due to exclusive beliefs when other religions are just as exclusive. I am reminded on the 6 levels of existence in the Buddhist world, as many Buddhists are not outside of saying others will be lost if on the wrong path. There is a Buddhist concept of Hell and other Eastern religions have the same ideology, to be consistent.

For more, this is an EXCELLENT review on the matter:

There's also another presentation on the issue that gives some food for thought on the issue:​

Tectonically, in Buddhism, there are 6 levels of existence and Hell is one for those not enlightened. So if discussing paths, it is not a matter of "Your view is not tolerant!"...but rather which view you can tolerate more
... a matter of others showing what you feel the best path is....

And for that matter, look at Chinese culture. Chinese Folk Religion notes the Ten Courts, King Yama and his fellow Judges, and the specific ordered system of hells that evil-doers are assigned to before, prior to the drinking the draught of forgetfullness and being reincarnated on Earth. And those ten courts of Hell exist in a city called You Du (or “Dark City”) which is an analog of Chang’an surrounded by darkness. There is also Avinci – described as “a cube buried deep in the divine earth” were those who are damned for eternity are held.

The concept of Hell is more than present...

Thus, as a follower of the Jesus Way (and a Biblical Inclusivist), there are tenants I believe regarding the historical person of Christ which I can never applogize for - him being the best example of what mankind was meant to walk like and reflecting the heart if God. I believe as he said that those trusting him truly have life (John 5) and I have seen the miraculous in my life too much to believe he is not real. I believe that following the way to Christ (and to note, I did not say following the religion of Christianity) is the most logical course one can take, with beautiful things found in every walk of life...but ultimate truth confirmed in the person of Christ ....and the Bible being historically verifiable.

With all that said, I believe what I do wholehearted and I would expect the same of someone who believes wholeheartedly what they believe if they were Buddhist or into Shintoism and so forth. When I am in the workplace working on common issues, it is a marketplace of ideas.

I am aware at all times that everyone has a worldview/lens - and many groups feel their path is the best one...and yet they are still willing to work with each other. My work with Christian communities across denominational lines is as important to me as a Muslim valuing having differing sects come together to deal with certain social issues impacting the world.

But much of the world is already exclusive in their views on the world to come. What we have left then is discussing which view makes the most sense or has the best understanding of humanity...and we have to be aware of that at all times in any conversation. Whatever view you hold, at least be willing to share why you hold to that

buddhist-deities-02.jpg

Last edited:

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

With all that said, I believe what I do wholehearted and I would expect the same of someone who believes wholeheartedly what they believe if they were Buddhist or into Shintoism and so forth. When I am in the workplace working on common issues, it is a marketplace of ideas.

I am aware at all times that everyone has a worldview/lens - and many groups feel their path is the best one...and yet they are still willing to work with each other. My work with Christian communities across denominational lines is as important to me as a Muslim valuing having differing sects come together to deal with certain social issues impacting the world.

But much of the world is already exclusive in their views on the world to come. What we have left then is discussing which view makes the most sense or has the best understanding of humanity...and we have to be aware of that at all times in any conversation. Whatever view you hold, at least be willing to share why you hold to that

buddhist-deities-02.jpg

For more information, the Sutras show an understanding of Hell that reminds me of Dantes Inferno with the many levels of Hell and the different punishments. Much of that, of course, is something already discussed with the Jesus Movement when seeing the differing levels of punishment for those who do not walk as the Lord commands. There are many differences with Buddhism and Christianity obviously - and I am thankful for the places where intersections do occur, as mentioned before (here, here and here ) and here:

And with that said, I also wanted to give out further resources on the issue that will explain further the reality of what Hell is like from a Buddhist perspective since it is important to have direct/primary sources from Buddha. Buddha clearly explained about Hells (Narakas) in detail and how the suffering occurs there - and senior monks have shared this many times over. Devaduta Sutta is one example of discussing Hell AND there are many other occasions in the Suttas that refer to hell (Narakas). Buddha clearly taught that if someone becomes Sotapanna, then only that person will be free from Narakas (Hells)...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
people are fair and just as much as they are such. i'm sure that many in our own country are quite ignorant of things that are not common to our country. I would not expect bernie sanders to comprehend christianity in any kind of profound sense.

I suppose that it is a nice thing to know that all kinds of peoples believe in unjust torturing of others

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
people are fair and just as much as they are such. i'm sure that many in our own country are quite ignorant of things that are not common to our country. I would not expect bernie sanders to comprehend christianity in any kind of profound sense.

I suppose that it is a nice thing to know that all kinds of peoples believe in unjust torturing of others
I do think that many times we end up making it out as if Hell is all about torturing rather than the other side of things where all bad centers. That said, some things in experiences cannot be understood unless we choose to see outside of our experience. For me, seeing how many know there is a place of reward and a place of punishment is not a surprise.

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am reminded on the 6 levels of existence in the Buddhist world, as many Buddhists are not outside of saying others will be lost if on the wrong path. There is a Buddhist concept of Hell and other Eastern religions have the same ideology, to be consistent.

For more, this is an EXCELLENT review on the matter:

There's also another presentation on the issue that gives some food for thought on the issue:​

Something to consider on the issue, for anyone interested:

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
While I do believe that hellish states of being/mind exist, I think, ultimately, the belief and promotion of any kind of irreversible hell-state is simply the outcome of underestimating God’s ability to transform even the hardest of hearts.

It’s evident that humans have a difficult time believing that absolutely everyone can be healed where needed. This shortcoming on man’s part serves as a gateway for the various eternal-hell-doctrines that crop up across some (though not all) religions, Abrahamic and otherwise. It's natural to project our own limitations onto the Divine.

-

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do think that many times we end up making it out as if Hell is all about torturing rather than the other side of things where all bad centers. That said, some things in experiences cannot be understood unless we choose to see outside of our experience. For me, seeing how many know there is a place of reward and a place of punishment is not a surprise.

it's not a surprise to me either. do any other cultures have a refined sense of hell such as certain areas within Christianity? in this type of view hell is not as great as heaven but it is certainly not as bad as what some make it out to be. this is due to Gods love for his souls.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
For more information, the Sutras show an understanding of Hell that reminds me of Dantes Inferno with the many levels of Hell and the different punishments. Much of that, of course, is something already discussed with the Jesus Movement when seeing the differing levels of punishment for those who do not walk as the Lord commands. There are many differences with Buddhism and Christianity obviously - and I am thankful for the places where intersections do occur, as mentioned before (here, here and here ) and here:

And with that said, I also wanted to give out further resources on the issue that will explain further the reality of what Hell is like from a Buddhist perspective since it is important to have direct/primary sources from Buddha. Buddha clearly explained about Hells (Narakas) in detail and how the suffering occurs there - and senior monks have shared this many times over. Devaduta Sutta is one example of discussing Hell AND there are many other occasions in the Suttas that refer to hell (Narakas). Buddha clearly taught that if someone becomes Sotapanna, then only that person will be free from Narakas (Hells)...

Death can be scary because it is like delving into the unknown,

Tomorrow is also unknwn,

Adam was told that if he ate of the forbidden fruit, that day he would die,
and so he lived over nine hundred years,

(Thousand years are as a day?)

If Adam was the first human, then it follows that no one had died before,

So what was the point of saying you will die, if death was not,

There was no mention of burning, (literally)

Unfortunately countless many have had their lives ruined by the fear of a being thrown into a burning pit.
Why?

If it is a case of being seperated from the Divine, it should not bother anyone who does not believe in a Divine Creator to begin with.

What I am trying to say is,

If Adam was not told he would burn forever,

Where then does it come from?

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, but Buddhists don't generally believe in everlasting conscious torment for people that don't happen to believe what they do. Only some Christians believe that.
I think it's also believed in Islam.

Again, though, I think that it's merely a belief, serving to compensate for a lack of confidence in the Divine's goodness. People tend to project onto the Divine their own ill-tempered, ill-will towards mankind, and the next thing you know this misanthropy becomes doctrine.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
it's not a surprise to me either. do any other cultures have a refined sense of hell such as certain areas within Christianity? in this type of view hell is not as great as heaven but it is certainly not as bad as what some make it out to be. this is due to Gods love for his souls.
Real...

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The mysteries of life are universal and all people seek to understand them

The mystery of human suffering, the primary of which is death, call for resolution for healing the sting that continually wounds the heart.
These questions plague the heart of all people, and the heart will not rest until it is satisfied with the answers.

All the world religions function to provide the solution for the mysteries of death, suffering and injustice.

Within the mystery of suffering and death is the question of unresolved justice. Do we really live in a world where justice isn't served? A world that does not reward good and heal the wounds of injustice? To resolve these mysteries of life, religions rise up from cultures to restore meaning and find the good, so human life can transcend the experience of suffering, death and injustice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Yeah, lots of cultures came up with the idea of a punitive afterlife, and it's easy to see why: we experience that not everyone gets what they (seemingly) deserve, with kind and caring people dying too early or having a miserable life, or malicious rogues enjoying the fruits of their "labour" and dying peacefully of old age. That's where hellish places seem to provide a convenient way to soothe this perceived injustice: the wicked WILL "get their just rewards", for anything else would be unfair, right?

Now, I think this whole idea relies far too much on revenge fantasies for my taste, but there's one thing that sets some of the Abrahamic hell conceptions apart from similar ones we find in Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, classical Greek polytheism or elsewhere:

Most "hells" are impermanent places of, well, "purification". The suffering experienced therein is not an end in and of itself, but a means of redeeming the "inmates" and rid them of their guilt.
Not so in Christianity (and Islam, I think): not only is the suffering supposedly eternal according to most believers, it's also not something that's determined by good or bad conduct because EVERYBODY goes to hell by default, unless they can show the right membership card.
Remember the Good-o-Meter?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

A very interesting thread... thank you.

Simply reviewing our lives after our death may be perceived as "hellish" by many:

https://www.near-death.com/experiences/notable/howard-storm.html#a03

Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, lots of cultures came up with the idea of a punitive afterlife, and it's easy to see why: we experience that not everyone gets what they (seemingly) deserve, with kind and caring people dying too early or having a miserable life, or malicious rogues enjoying the fruits of their "labour" and dying peacefully of old age. That's where hellish places seem to provide a convenient way to soothe this perceived injustice: the wicked WILL "get their just rewards", for anything else would be unfair, right?

Now, I think this whole idea relies far too much on revenge fantasies for my taste, but there's one thing that sets some of the Abrahamic hell conceptions apart from similar ones we find in Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, classical Greek polytheism or elsewhere:

Most "hells" are impermanent places of, well, "purification". The suffering experienced therein is not an end in and of itself, but a means of redeeming the "inmates" and rid them of their guilt.
Not so in Christianity (and Islam, I think): not only is the suffering supposedly eternal according to most believers, it's also not something that's determined by good or bad conduct because EVERYBODY goes to hell by default, unless they can show the right membership card.
Remember the Good-o-Meter?

Comparing Christian salvation to a "membership card" is more than a bit of a generalization of a strawman.

Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
It's simpler than that, Bernie Sanders questions were out of line and unconstitutional, since they amount to a religious test. It's unfortunate because otherwise I approve of Sanders approach to government. But he needs to learn the US doesn't have religious tests for office.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's simpler than that, Bernie Sanders questions were out of line and unconstitutional, since they amount to a religious test. It's unfortunate because otherwise I approve of Sanders approach to government. But he needs to learn the US doesn't have religious tests for office.
Good points

Upvote 0