Jesus Told Many They Would Live to See His Coming.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clarke wrote the commentary after following the teaching of the Roman Catholic Jesuit "Luis De Alcasar" and his 1614 book in the "Preterist" interpretation of the "Apocalypse"
LOL Not hardly. Clarke did not agree with Alcasar.
Have you actually read Clarke, Gill, Henry, Chrystostom, Barnes, Calvin, etc. None of them were preterists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why twist and torture something that came to pass exactly as spoken? Was the Temple and the city destroyed? Did it happen in that generation? Did some of the people he was speaking to live to see it? The answer is yes to all that.
This I agree with as do most all of the Christian commentators before Scofield and Darby's rapture nonsense, which by the way was started by another Jesuit by the name of Francisco Ribera.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How exactly does this understanding of Jesus inform now?
Or, if Jesus misinformed his followers about them living to witness his Second Coming, what then?
No such phrase in the Bible as "second" coming. You might start with that. Just the plain old coming of the Lord.
So... since he came to oversee the end of the Old Covenant Age and the destruction of the city and temple. In other words since it's not a prophecy about the end of the world. Then, since he comes again after that to oversee the great judgments toward the city of Rome for its murder of the saints and then yet again to oversee the end of the empire in 1453 AD. (That is the end of end time prophecy even though we certainly see end time events concerning other nations and evil empires.)
Indeed? What comes after that? How about one hundred chapters of an age of promise where his people begin to be able to serve him according to the dictates of their own conscience. Where they get to raise their children without fear? How about a world where slavery is illegal and the whole idea of a king or emperor is an abomination? How about a world when you are free and have some kind of control of you own destiny. Or how about a world where actually idolatry is no longer forced on the peoples by kings and emperors? How about an age where the rule of law based on Biblical principle is the vehicle for unbelievable prosperity for the general public? You might get my point by now and say that is our world, or at least many places in our world. Yep that sure wasn't the world back in Jesus time nor the world for the next 1500 years after that. My point? Is an apocloytic vision for the future what the Word of God teaches and prphesies? Or is a scriptural vision for the future one of ever growing influence in this world of the Gospel. the Word and his invisible kingdom? Which one do you place your faith in? Which one do you have evidence for to place your faith in? An since faith wihout works is dead. Which one do you labor for in faith? Carefull with that. God is offended when we see ourselves as grasshoppers.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟360,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We can go to a million prohecies that everyone can take out of the context of the Bible and put within the context of thier own dogma. Lets stick with this one as it is very simple and to the point. Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21. Once we get some honest reading on it, then we can look at others.
The End Of An Age
What? The honest reading is right in the text. I am using scripture to interpret other scripture - but it is proving your interpretation wrong.

None of the prophecy passages are stand alone.

I don't think so. Especially since the entire prophecy addresses everyone in the second person. Besides. Why twist and torture something that came to pass exactly as spoken? Was the Temple and the city destroyed? Did it happen in that generation? Did some of the people he was speaking to live to see it? The answer is yes to all that. Your just wrestling with the illustrative language of a few of the verses which I got covered if anyone wants to see.
If Jesus's return to this earth from heaven, as is described in Revelation 19 as well, has been already fulfilled, we wouldn't be having this conversation, and there would be no wars, nor rumors of wars , because Jesus would be ruling the nations with a rod of iron to keep the wrong guys out of control.

The temple and city were destroyed, and from 100% 20/20 hindsight it obvious that was not the time of end Abomination of Desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet in Daniel 12.

Are you in your incorruptible everlasting body? I think not.

When you (generically speaking to any Christian person) see these things begin to happen, lookup! your redemption draws near.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cool, that means something doesn't it? That some scholars have been saying the same thing for centuries? It's a big article though and I surly don't expect anyone that is interested in reading it to read it all in a night. It's more like grab a cup of coffee after work and sit down for a little while to relax and feed your curiosity. over a few week period. Because when you get to those difficult verses. That is where it will shine.
I am not going to read your article, sorry. But I will discuss your views with you here.
There are some things that you haven't stated clearly enough for me to understand so I'm still waiting.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No such phrase in the Bible as "second" coming. You might start with that.....
Okay, lets start with that
He came , and he ascended to the heavens, promised that he would come again before the generation passed away, and then what?
Did he did come back from heaven again a (second) time to certain member of that generation to fulfill that promise that he made( without it being recorded in the Bible) or didn't he?
All this talk about grasshoppers is confusing me. Maybe a simple yes or no might help to carry the conversation forward so I can better see your point of view.
If he did, how can we know, since it is not recorded in the Bible, or the historical record.
And if he didn't, was he mistaken?

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not going to read your article, sorry. But I will discuss your views with you here.
There are some things that you haven't stated clearly enough for me to understand so I'm still waiting.
Well I'm not re writing my article here just for you either.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What? The honest reading is right in the text. I am using scripture to interpret other scripture - but it is proving your interpretation wrong.

None of the prophecy passages are stand alone.

If Jesus's return to this earth from heaven, as is described in Revelation 19 as well, has been already fulfilled, we wouldn't be having this conversation, and there would be no wars, nor rumors of wars , because Jesus would be ruling the nations with a rod of iron to keep the wrong guys out of control.

The temple and city were destroyed, and from 100% 20/20 hindsight it obvious that was not the time of end Abomination of Desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet in Daniel 12.

Are you in your incorruptible everlasting body? I think not.

When you (generically speaking to any Christian person) see these things begin to happen, lookup! your redemption draws near.
No, not going there with you as you grab prophecies from all over the Bible and place them into the context of your dogma.

From the article: The End Of An Age

*15. When you therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoever reads, let him understand:)16. Then let them which be in Judea flee into the mountains:
*14. But when you shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that reads understand,) then let them that be in Judea flee to the mountains:
*20. And when you shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation of it is near. 21. Then let them which are in Judea flee to the mountains;.....

One can see the importance of looking at all three accounts to get details that might not be mentioned in the others in these sentences. Jerusalem being surrounded by armies is not an interpretation of what Jesus said but something that Jesus said. Jesus apparently clarified at some point what the abomination that sets up desolation was Jerusalem being surrounded by armies. If you think about the practicality of Bible prophecy how could he not in his great mercy clarify it. How would most people know to flee Judea if he had just left it the way Matthew and Mark said it? Remember not every word that Christ spoke on this subject was recorded, only what the hearers inspirationally deemed important. (Inspirationally because it is the Word of God.) Luke and Mark were companions of the apostles who where eye witnesses of this discourse and Matthew was there himself. The writing or record keeping of events was the calling of the Jew and the apostles were keenly aware of this as part of their commission. All three of these accounts were written long before their occurrence, in other words decades. The only reason "scholars" dispute this has nothing to do with physical evidence but simply because to them real prophecy does not occur.
Perhaps because so many have not carefully looked at all three accounts many have thought that these verses were in reference to Daniel 8:13 and 11:31. This however is not possible. Daniel 8:13 and 11:31 were fulfilled exactly as prophesied by Antiochus Epiphanies just before Rome conquered the region. The context of the two verses in Daniel is the time period of Greece's Empire that was divided into four realms. What is spoken of in Daniel 8 then 11 regarding these two verses are listed in order under the heading of the Greek empire by an angel making it impossible to mean any other than Antiochus Epiphanies. The details of this can be seen here and here. Instead, Jesus is again referencing Daniel 9:26. And after the threescore and two weeks shall the anointed one be cut off, and shall have nothing: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and even unto the end shall be war; desolations are determined. 27 And he shall make a firm covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease; and upon the wing of abominations shall come one that makes desolate; and even unto the full end, and that determined, shall wrath be poured out upon the desolate. -- American Standard. The abominations spoken of were the gods of the Romans that were carried on the standards of their army. Jesus said in all three accounts when they saw this; to flee to the mountains. Without going into great detail on how the war began: Under the Roman Emperor Nero, Cestius led the Army to conquer Judea. Jerusalem was surrounded and without much of a battle was days from being easily taken. The vast majority of the people and rulers were ready to open the gates to the Romans and hail them as deliverers. The ones who were leading the revolt were fleeing Jerusalem undercover of darkness. The loss of life would have been small in comparison to what was coming but without any reason that anyone could figure out. Probably just as the false prophets were prophesying. Cestius heard a rumor, left the siege and marched out of Judea. The rebels followed and harassed his army to the point were Cestius left all his equipment and marched out of Judea by night. See Josephus' account. This was considered a great victory and undoubtedly a fulfillment of the words of the false prophets. It must have been looked upon as an event of Biblical proportions by those who were deceived. At that point those who considered Christ's prophecy recorded in this chapter did as he had instructed them and fled. Nero then sent Vespasian to conquer the region, but during Vespasian's campaign Nero died. Three generals attempted to take the title of Emperor for themselves, but Vespasian conquered the throne and left his son Titus to finish the campaign. It was Titus who took and razed Jerusalem.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, lets start with that
He came , and he ascended to the heavens, promised that he would come again before the generation passed away, and then what?
Did he did come back from heaven again a (second) time to certain member of that generation to fulfill that promise that he made( without it being recorded in the Bible) or didn't he?
All this talk about grasshoppers is confusing me. Maybe a simple yes or no might help to carry the conversation forward so I can better see your point of view.
If he did, how can we know, since it is not recorded in the Bible, or the historical record.
And if he didn't, was he mistaken?
The only promise made to them is that they would be saved from the judgment ancient Israel would suffer if they took heed to his prophecy. Not from persecution or anything else. Did promise a giant harvest of souls after that which certainly occurred in the next few hundred years.
As far as all the earthly promises of God that many of us have been enjoying. That was not to begin to occur until the end of the age of those four gentile empires. Grasshoppers- The spies sent into the promised land came back and said we are like grasshoppers in the eyes of the inhabitants of the land.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟360,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If Israel is the fig tree budding, what nations do the other trees budding represent?
The other trees would represent the nations of the end times in the end times prophecies.... such as the Gog/Magog nations in Ezekiel 38/39, having a common agenda to destroy Israel. Persia, in the text of Ezekiel 38 is easily identified as Iran.

The nations making up the end times Roman Empire, the fourth kingdom in Daniel 7, which the little horn emerges from. The EU, that block. The make up of the EU, some nations of it weak and other nations strong , Daniel 2:41-43.

Hank, I think you have ask me this question a couple times in the past. It doesn't matter, I will answer again, however many times, it comes up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My point? Is an apocloytic vision for the future what the Word of God teaches and prphesies? Or is a scriptural vision for the future one of ever growing influence in this world of the Gospel. the Word and his invisible kingdom? Which one do you place your faith in? Which one do you have evidence for to place your faith in? An since faith wihout works is dead. Which one do you labor for in faith? Carefull with that. God is offended when we see ourselves as grasshoppers.
I think this is where we may part ways.
Our job as Christians is to spread the Gospel by word and actions, and yes His Kingdom exists now. However, we are to be looking forward to His coming and our resurrection. Paul said if Jesus wasn't resurrected, neither would we be, so there was no hope, no eternal life in the actual physical presences of our Lord, for we will have bodies even though we don't know what those bodies will be like we know they will be like His.
So once again I don't really know what you are getting at.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟360,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

No, not going there with you as you grab prophecies from all over the Bible and place them into the context of your dogma.

But look at what you did, Daniel !
You took Luke 21:20-21 out of context to try and make it look like Matthew 24:15, Mark 13:14 are the same as Luke 21:20-21.

*15. When you therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoever reads, let him understand:)16. Then let them which be in Judea flee into the mountains:
*14. But when you shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that reads understand,) then let them that be in Judea flee to the mountains:
*20. And when you shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation of it is near. 21. Then let them which are in Judea flee to the mountains;.....

In context ,
Daniel, in Luke 21, following the desolation of Jerusalem, the Jews are sent into exile among the nations. While in Matthew 24:15 and Mark 13:14, there is no exile following the abomination of desolation. And guess what?

In both Matthew and Mark, following the abomination of desolation event, the Jews are not only not exiled to the nations - but the elect are gathered, not dispersed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Compare with Daniel 7:13-14, where the Son of Man is taken up on clouds before the Ancient of Days and given dominion.

The Son of Man came into His kingdom at the Ascension; the Lord is seated at the right hand of the Father until He returns in glory on the last day. When the Lord returns, it is not to gain a kingdom here, rather He will--as St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:23-28--deliver all things to the Father after He has made subject all things, the last of which is death, which is defeated at the resurrection of the dead (1 Corinthians 15:53-55).

Christ is not going to become King, Christ is King. When He returns as judge of the living and the dead on the last day it is as One who is already Lord over all and whose kingdom is everlasting. Which is precisely what we confess in the Nicene Creed, "He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and of His kingdom there will be no end."

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The only promise made to them is that they would be saved from the judgment ancient Israel would suffer if they took heed to his prophecy.

From OP
Are you aware that Jesus told many of the people he was speaking to, including he apostle John, that they would live long enough to see the coming of the Lord? Here Matthew, Mark and Luke all record the same scene when Jesus tells a group of his disciples that some of them will live long enough to see his coming.

Seems to me that you are contradicting the whole of your OP, which is the one that I quoted in my initial response.
Anyway, following your arguments hither and thither is of no interest to me.
In lieu of a yes or a no, I had enough.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well you say he was here one time and will come back one time. I say he has been coming down to earth multiple times both before he became a man and afterwards. The discussion needs to focus on this particular time in Matthew 24. Mark, 13 and Luke 21.
To many Christians, the 1st Advent of Jesus Christ to earth refers specifically to God coming down to earth in-the-flesh who lived together with the Jews until He was crucified on the Cross at about 33 years old.
... The Advent of Jesus to earth does not refer to God's transient or temporary appearance on earth, either in-the-flesh or in-the-Spirit, eg when He gave His Law to Moses and the Jews.(EXODUS.3:14/JOHN.8:58)

The coming 2nd Advent of Jesus Christ to earth will be similar to the 1st Advent, ie God coming down to earth in-the-flesh to live with His people for about 1,000 years. Jesus will be destroying this rotten earth and all the unbelievers on it, and creating a new earth for His people.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

JOHN.14: = 1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.” ...

15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

2THESS.2: =
The Great Apostasy
2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

5 Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? 6 And now you know what is restraining, that he may be revealed in his own time. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.

9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

1THESS.4: =
15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

1COR.15: = 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. 24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. ...

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But look at what you did, Daniel ! You took Luke 21:20-21 out of context to try and make it look like Matthew 24:15, Mark 13:14 are the same as Luke 21:20-21.

In context ,
Daniel, in Luke 21, following the desolation of Jerusalem, the Jews are sent into exile among the nations. While in Matthew 24:15 and Mark 13:14, there is no exile following the abomination of desolation. And guess what?

In both Matthew and Mark, following the abomination of desolation event, the Jews are not only not exiled to the nations - but the elect are gathered, not dispersed.
Umm yeah...no. There are the 3 sets of scriptures Matthew first followed by Mark then Luke. The ones before the abomination and the ones after. Same exact order in all three. Same scene.
*9. Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 10. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. 11. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 14. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
*9. But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them. 10. And the gospel must first be published among all nations. 11. But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost. 12. Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death. 13. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
*12. But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake. 13. And it shall turn to you for a testimony. 14. Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer: 15. For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. 16. And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, kinsfolk, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. 17. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake. 18. But there shall not an hair of your head perish. 19. In your patience possess ye your souls.

*16. Then let them which are in Judea flee into the mountains: 17. Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18. Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19. And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that are nursing in those days! 20. But pray that your flight is not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day: 21. For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
*14..... then let them that are in Judea flee to the mountains: 15. And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house: 16. And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment. 17. But woe to them that are with child, and to them that are nursing in those days! 18. And pray that your flight be not in the winter. 19. For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created to this time, neither shall be. 20. And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he has chosen, he has shortened the days.
*21. Then let them which are in Judea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter into it. 22. For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. 23. But woe to them that are with child, and to them that are nursing in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people. 24. And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From OP

Seems to me that you are contradicting the whole of your OP, which is the one that I quoted in my initial response.
Anyway, following your arguments hither and thither is of no interest to me.
In lieu of a yes or a no, I had enough.
Well I have no idea what you wanted a yes or no about. Most of the time yes and no questions are gotcha ones unfortunitly.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

One can see the importance of looking at all three accounts to get details that might not be mentioned in the others in these sentences. Jerusalem being surrounded by armies is not an interpretation of what Jesus said but something that Jesus said. Jesus apparently clarified at some point what the abomination that sets up desolation was Jerusalem being surrounded by armies. If you think about the practicality of Bible prophecy how could he not in his great mercy clarify it. How would most people know to flee Judea if he had just left it the way Matthew and Mark said it? Remember not every word that Christ spoke on this subject was recorded, only what the hearers inspirationally deemed important. (Inspirationally because it is the Word of God.) Luke and Mark were companions of the apostles who where eye witnesses of this discourse and Matthew was there himself. The writing or record keeping of events was the calling of the Jew and the apostles were keenly aware of this as part of their commission. All three of these accounts were written long before their occurrence, in other words decades. The only reason "scholars" dispute this has nothing to do with physical evidence but simply because to them real prophecy does not occur.
Perhaps because so many have not carefully looked at all three accounts many have thought that these verses were in reference to Daniel 8:13 and 11:31. This however is not possible. Daniel 8:13 and 11:31 were fulfilled exactly as prophesied by Antiochus Epiphanies just before Rome conquered the region. The context of the two verses in Daniel is the time period of Greece's Empire that was divided into four realms. What is spoken of in Daniel 8 then 11 regarding these two verses are listed in order under the heading of the Greek empire by an angel making it impossible to mean any other than Antiochus Epiphanies. The details of this can be seen
here and here. Instead, Jesus is again referencing Daniel 9:26. And after the threescore and two weeks shall the anointed one be cut off, and shall have nothing: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and even unto the end shall be war; desolations are determined. 27 And he shall make a firm covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease; and upon the wing of abominations shall come one that makes desolate; and even unto the full end, and that determined, shall wrath be poured out upon the desolate. -- American Standard. The abominations spoken of were the gods of the Romans that were carried on the standards of their army. Jesus said in all three accounts when they saw this; to flee to the mountains. Without going into great detail on how the war began: Under the Roman Emperor Nero, Cestius led the Army to conquer Judea. Jerusalem was surrounded and without much of a battle was days from being easily taken. The vast majority of the people and rulers were ready to open the gates to the Romans and hail them as deliverers. The ones who were leading the revolt were fleeing Jerusalem undercover of darkness. The loss of life would have been small in comparison to what was coming but without any reason that anyone could figure out. Probably just as the false prophets were prophesying. Cestius heard a rumor, left the siege and marched out of Judea. The rebels followed and harassed his army to the point were Cestius left all his equipment and marched out of Judea by night. See Josephus' account. This was considered a great victory and undoubtedly a fulfillment of the words of the false prophets. It must have been looked upon as an event of Biblical proportions by those who were deceived. At that point those who considered Christ's prophecy recorded in this chapter did as he had instructed them and fled. Nero then sent Vespasian to conquer the region, but during Vespasian's campaign Nero died. Three generals attempted to take the title of Emperor for themselves, but Vespasian conquered the throne and left his son Titus to finish the campaign. It was Titus who took and razed Jerusalem.
So far you are still in good standing with me and most of the Christian commentators both Calvinists and Arminian.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To many Christians, the 1st Advent of Jesus Christ to earth refers specifically to God coming down to earth in-the-flesh who lived together with the Jews until He was crucified on the Cross at about 33 years old.
... The Advent of Jesus to earth does not refer to God's transient or temporary appearance on earth, either in-the-flesh or in-the-Spirit, eg when He gave His Law to Moses and the Jews.(EXODUS.3:14/JOHN.8:58)

The coming 2nd Advent of Jesus Christ to earth will be similar to the 1st Advent, ie God coming down to earth in-the-flesh to live with His people for about 1,000 years. Jesus will be destroying this rotten earth and all the unbelievers on it, and creating a new earth for His people.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

JOHN.14: = 1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.” ...

15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

2THESS.2: =
The Great Apostasy
2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

5 Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? 6 And now you know what is restraining, that he may be revealed in his own time. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.

9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

1THESS.4: =
15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

1COR.15: = 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. 24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. ...

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
That is the problem. You cannot accept the Bibles own interpretation of its own prophecies nor the dates it places on their fulfillment once you have accepted a doctrine of a "2nd" advent. It's extra Biblical. The coming of the day of the Lord is not a doctrine of a 2nd advent. It is a doctrine of the times and seasons that God sets to judge nations, or in the case of the flood the whole world and to fulfill promises. There are at least a dozen of them in scripture prophesied. Most with the record of their fulfillment in scripture. The record of the New Testament days of the Lord when he comes to judge and fulfill promises do not have a record of fulfillment since the NT was written before hand. But thankfully they do have the dates attached to the at least two of these great judgments that were to come upon the earth. The end of the Old covenant age and the the end of the age of the four gentile empires. But once you accept this extra Biblical doctrine of a "second" coming or "advent" it hoses everything up for the Bible student. Because all this stuff is the end of the world which has not happened. Does it really matter? Yeah! Because no one is focusing on the prophecies about this age. The one that was to follow the age of the four gentile empires.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you aware that Jesus told many of the people he was speaking to, including he apostle John, that they would live long enough to see the coming of the Lord? Here Matthew, Mark and Luke all record the same scene when Jesus tells a group of his disciples that some of them will live long enough to see his coming.

Matthew16: 27. For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. 28: Truly I say to you, There are some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mark 8:38 Whoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. 9:1 And he said to them, Truly I say to you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Luke 9:26 For whoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Here Jesus tells John that he will live long enough to see his coming but tells Peter he will not.

John 21:18. (Jesus speaking to Peter) Truly, Truly, I say to you, When you were young, you dressed yourself, and walked where ever you desired: but when your old, you will stretch forth your hands, and another will dress you, and carry you where you do not want. 19. This he spoke, signifying by what death he (Peter) should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he said to him, Follow me. 20. Then Peter, turning around, seeing the disciple whom Jesus loved (John) following;...... 21. Peter seeing him said to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? 22. Jesus answers him, If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? Follow me. 23. Then this saying abroad went out among the brothers, that this disciple (John) should not die: yet Jesus did not say to him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?

Then Jesus tells the High Priest and the other religious leaders of Israel that some of them would live long enough to see his coming.

Mark 14:61 ...Again the high priest asked him, Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? 62. And Jesus said, I am: and you will see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Then of course there Jesus's prophecy about the destruction of the temple and the city of Jerusalem. It is very important to note that the only place in his whole prophecy that he used the emphasis "truly truly I say to you" to command their attention, and ours was concerning when this prophecy would come to pass.

Matthew 24:32. Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is close: 33. So likewise, when you shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. 34. In truth I say to you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. 35. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. 36. But of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Mark 13:28. Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near: 29. So in like manner, when you shall see these things come to pass, know that it is close, even at the doors. 30. In truth I say to you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done. 31. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. 32. But of that day and that hour knows no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Luke 21:29. And he spoke to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; 30. When they now shoot forth, you see and know of your own selves that summer is now close at hand. 31. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know that the kingdom of God is close at hand. 32. In truth I say to you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. 33. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

This is all in exact accordance with Daniels prophecy that when the messiah comes the city and the sanctuary would be destroyed. In fact the destruction of the temple and the city was one of the major signs, like his death and resurrection that Jesus was indeed the messiah.

Daniel chapter 9 verses 25-27. Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

So why do so many Christians and pastors not pay any attention to all these scriptures that say when Jesus would come and instead place it in our future? I think mostly because they have no incentive to notice them. They accepted a teaching called the "second coming" as gospel long before they became familiar enough with the scripture to observe anything contrary to it. The Greek word for second doesn't even occur one time in the same sentence in the entire New Testament with the Greek word for "coming." The acceptance of these pop culture end time teachings has quite naturally caused a spiritual and intellectual laziness around the subject of the coming of the Lord. The scripture is replete with these great days of judgment where the Lord literally and physically came to earth to oversee great days of judgment or calamity. This isn't the only one the New Testament prophesied either. There are a dozen chapters of end time prophecy about the great judgments and end of the age of the four Gentile empires in the book of Revelation. Every single sentence of Jesus's prophecy in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21 came to pass in the first century. I had the incentive and the calling to find out just exactly how. Especially with the seemingly difficult verses.

If this stirs anyone's curiosity you can read the article here. I am currently advertising it on Facebook. You'll not find a more complete account in a more easy to read format. Otherwise argue away.
The End Of An Age
M24.jpg
I think that the question was answered in these verses right here.

John 21:23 - Then this saying abroad went out among the brothers, that this disciple (John) should not die: yet Jesus did not say to him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?

This is my opinion however, but who knows. I figure, that in this verse, it's showing that it was understood by the brothers and disciples that He meant not all would die, but that some would live to see His coming. But I believe this verse was worded that way so that it was known that what He meant, was more so along the lines of "what business is it of yours if I will this man lives until my coming? Are you God to know what He's planning? No, so follow me."

Not that John was to live until Jesus's return, but that if he was, so what? Whose business is it apart from God's? Do we know how He thinks? No, so submit regardless, and follow Him.

That's my take on it anyway.

Upvote 0