Jesus Told Many They Would Live to See His Coming.

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you aware that Jesus told many of the people he was speaking to, including he apostle John, that they would live long enough to see the coming of the Lord? Here Matthew, Mark and Luke all record the same scene when Jesus tells a group of his disciples that some of them will live long enough to see his coming.

Matthew16: 27. For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. 28: Truly I say to you, There are some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mark 8:38 Whoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. 9:1 And he said to them, Truly I say to you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Luke 9:26 For whoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Here Jesus tells John that he will live long enough to see his coming but tells Peter he will not.

John 21:18. (Jesus speaking to Peter) Truly, Truly, I say to you, When you were young, you dressed yourself, and walked where ever you desired: but when your old, you will stretch forth your hands, and another will dress you, and carry you where you do not want. 19. This he spoke, signifying by what death he (Peter) should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he said to him, Follow me. 20. Then Peter, turning around, seeing the disciple whom Jesus loved (John) following;...... 21. Peter seeing him said to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? 22. Jesus answers him, If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? Follow me. 23. Then this saying abroad went out among the brothers, that this disciple (John) should not die: yet Jesus did not say to him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?

Then Jesus tells the High Priest and the other religious leaders of Israel that some of them would live long enough to see his coming.

Mark 14:61 ...Again the high priest asked him, Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? 62. And Jesus said, I am: and you will see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Then of course there Jesus's prophecy about the destruction of the temple and the city of Jerusalem. It is very important to note that the only place in his whole prophecy that he used the emphasis "truly truly I say to you" to command their attention, and ours was concerning when this prophecy would come to pass.

Matthew 24:32. Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is close: 33. So likewise, when you shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. 34. In truth I say to you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. 35. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. 36. But of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Mark 13:28. Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near: 29. So in like manner, when you shall see these things come to pass, know that it is close, even at the doors. 30. In truth I say to you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done. 31. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. 32. But of that day and that hour knows no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Luke 21:29. And he spoke to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; 30. When they now shoot forth, you see and know of your own selves that summer is now close at hand. 31. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know that the kingdom of God is close at hand. 32. In truth I say to you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. 33. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

This is all in exact accordance with Daniels prophecy that when the messiah comes the city and the sanctuary would be destroyed. In fact the destruction of the temple and the city was one of the major signs, like his death and resurrection that Jesus was indeed the messiah.

Daniel chapter 9 verses 25-27. Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

So why do so many Christians and pastors not pay any attention to all these scriptures that say when Jesus would come and instead place it in our future? I think mostly because they have no incentive to notice them. They accepted a teaching called the "second coming" as gospel long before they became familiar enough with the scripture to observe anything contrary to it. The Greek word for second doesn't even occur one time in the same sentence in the entire New Testament with the Greek word for "coming." The acceptance of these pop culture end time teachings has quite naturally caused a spiritual and intellectual laziness around the subject of the coming of the Lord. The scripture is replete with these great days of judgment where the Lord literally and physically came to earth to oversee great days of judgment or calamity. This isn't the only one the New Testament prophesied either. There are a dozen chapters of end time prophecy about the great judgments and end of the age of the four Gentile empires in the book of Revelation. Every single sentence of Jesus's prophecy in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21 came to pass in the first century. I had the incentive and the calling to find out just exactly how. Especially with the seemingly difficult verses.

If this stirs anyone's curiosity you can read the article here. I am currently advertising it on Facebook. You'll not find a more complete account in a more easy to read format. Otherwise argue away.
The End Of An Age
M24.jpg

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you aware that Jesus told many of the people he was speaking to, including he apostle John, that they would live long enough to see the coming of the Lord? Here Matthew, Mark and Luke all record the same scene when Jesus tells a group of his disciples that some of them will live long enough to see his coming.

Matthew16: 27. For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. 28: Truly I say to you, There are some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mark 8:38 Whoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. 9:1 And he said to them, Truly I say to you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Luke 9:26 For whoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Here Jesus tells John that he will live long enough to see his coming but tells Peter he will not.

John 21:18. (Jesus speaking to Peter) Truly, Truly, I say to you, When you were young, you dressed yourself, and walked where ever you desired: but when your old, you will stretch forth your hands, and another will dress you, and carry you where you do not want. 19. This he spoke, signifying by what death he (Peter) should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he said to him, Follow me. 20. Then Peter, turning around, seeing the disciple whom Jesus loved (John) following;...... 21. Peter seeing him said to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? 22. Jesus answers him, If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? Follow me. 23. Then this saying abroad went out among the brothers, that this disciple (John) should not die: yet Jesus did not say to him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?

Then Jesus tells the High Priest and the other religious leaders of Israel that some of them would live long enough to see his coming.

Mark 14:61 ...Again the high priest asked him, Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? 62. And Jesus said, I am: and you will see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Then of course there Jesus's prophecy about the destruction of the temple and the city of Jerusalem. It is very important to note that the only place in his whole prophecy that he used the emphasis "truly truly I say to you" to command their attention, and ours was concerning when this prophecy would come to pass.

Matthew 24:32. Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is close: 33. So likewise, when you shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. 34. In truth I say to you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. 35. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. 36. But of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Mark 13:28. Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near: 29. So in like manner, when you shall see these things come to pass, know that it is close, even at the doors. 30. In truth I say to you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done. 31. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. 32. But of that day and that hour knows no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Luke 21:29. And he spoke to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; 30. When they now shoot forth, you see and know of your own selves that summer is now close at hand. 31. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know that the kingdom of God is close at hand. 32. In truth I say to you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. 33. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

This is all in exact accordance with Daniels prophecy that when the messiah comes the city and the sanctuary would be destroyed. In fact the destruction of the temple and the city was one of the major signs, like his death and resurrection that Jesus was indeed the messiah.

Daniel chapter 9 verses 25-27. Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

So why do so many Christians and pastors not pay any attention to all these scriptures that say when Jesus would come and instead place it in our future? I think mostly because they have no incentive to notice them. They accepted a teaching called the "second coming" as gospel long before they became familiar enough with the scripture to observe anything contrary to it. The Greek word for second doesn't even occur one time in the same sentence in the entire New Testament with the Greek word for "coming." The acceptance of these pop culture end time teachings has quite naturally caused a spiritual and intellectual laziness around the subject of the coming of the Lord. The scripture is replete with these great days of judgment where the Lord literally and physically came to earth to oversee great days of judgment or calamity. This isn't the only one the New Testament prophesied either. There are a dozen chapters of end time prophecy about the great judgments and end of the age of the four Gentile empires in the book of Revelation. Every single sentence of Jesus's prophecy in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21 came to pass in the first century. I had the incentive and the calling to find out just exactly how. Especially with the seemingly difficult verses.

If this stirs anyone's curiosity you can read the article here. I am currently advertising it on Facebook. You'll not find a more complete account in a more easy to read format. Otherwise argue away.
The End Of An Age
M24.jpg
I recall you are "Preterist" in your eschatology?

The temple being destroyed, was a symbolic teaching of Jesus Christ, in his death, burial, resurrection. Matthew 26:61

Jesus coming in his kingdom was representative of him entering Jerusalem on the donkey.

Do you believe in a future second coming of Jesus Christ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I recall you are "Preterist" in your eschatology?

The temple being destroyed, was a symbolic teaching of Jesus Christ, in his death, burial, resurrection. Matthew 26:61

Jesus coming in his kingdom was representative of him entering Jerusalem on the donkey.

Do you believe in a future second coming of Jesus Christ?
You recalled incorrectly. I’m not a Preterist.
Can you show me one place in the New Testimate where the the Greek word for “second” is in the same sentence with the Greek word for “coming.” If you can I’ll believe in it. Otherwise I’m not much into the doctrines or religious traditions of men.

I believe in the physical\ literal coming of the Lord to earth. where he comes to oversee great days of judgement and calamity. I can point out a dozen of these in the Bible. But you can’t point out a “second” one.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There shall be wars and rumours of wars -must all come to pass first - and still the end is not nigh.
That whole group of people would not even be living in the time of sorrows - as it has - be ye not troubled.
Well, that’s what you and your religious tradition says. That’s not what Jesus said though. Nor the history that verified his prophecy.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you show me one place in the New Testimate where the the Greek word for “second” is in the same sentence with the Greek word for “coming.” If you can I’ll believe in it. Otherwise I’m not much into the doctrines or religious traditions of men.

I believe in the physical\ literal coming of the Lord to earth. where he comes to oversee great days of judgement and calamity. I can point out a dozen of these in the Bible. But yo can’t point out a “second” one.
Do you believe 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8, is a future event?

Do you believe Luke 17:29-30 is a future literal event?

Do you believe Matthew 25:31-46 is a future literal event?

Do you believe 2 Peter 3:10-12 is a future literal event?

Do you believe Revelation 20:7-9 is a future literal event?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe in the physical\ literal coming of the Lord to earth. where he comes to oversee great days of judgement and calamity.
Would this be the 'second' time that He came to walk on the earth?

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would this be the 'second' time that He came to walk on the earth?
Hank,
Why did Jehovah physically come down to earth with two angels and have dinner with Abraham followed by a discussion about Sodom and Gomorrah?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you believe 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8, is a future event?

Do you believe Luke 17:29-30 is a future literal event?

Do you believe Matthew 25:31-46 is a future literal event?

Do you believe 2 Peter 3:10-12 is a future literal event?

Do you believe Revelation 20:7-9 is a future literal event?
Three of them are past, present and future. One of them is specifically the past and the other is about as high as the heavens are above earth as far as your being able to comprehend it.
I’m not really going to play the game some of you play on these threads jumping all over the place with what you hope to be gotcha questions. If you want to debate me about what I am claiming concerning Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21 then go to the link and read down it till you find a set of verses that you think I am wrong about. Then tell me why I am wrong. I’ll assume that you agree with what I said about the verses preceding the verses you disagree about.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hank,
Why did Jehovah physically come down to earth with two angels and have dinner with Abraham followed by a discussion about Sodom and Gomorrah?
Answering a question with a question?
The scripture doesn't say second coming but the term is descriptive of when Jesus comes back as the conquering king. The first time as the suffering servant. I not sure why you have a problem with using that term?

Upvote 0

seventysevens

Feb 27, 2017
USA
✟38,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I believe in the physical\ literal coming of the Lord to earth. where he comes to oversee great days of judgement and calamity. I can point out a dozen of these in the Bible. But you can’t point out a “second” one.
That be a bit stringent don't you think ?
It is often called the return of the Messiah Jesus which is why people say 'second coming ' or second advent simply because he was here once previously . It makes the distinction of which time Jesus comes when discussing things that Jesus has said in His Word so people know what it meant

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Three of them are past, present and future. One of them is specifically the past and the other is about as high as the heavens are above earth as far as your being able to comprehend it.
I’m not really going to play the game some of you play on these threads jumping all over the place with what you hope to be gotcha questions. If you want to debate me about what I am claiming concerning Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21 then go to the link and read down it till you find a set of verses that you think I am wrong about. Then tell me why I am wrong. I’ll assume that you agree with what I said about the verses preceding the verses you disagree about.
You state there is no such thing as "Second Coming" OK :)

So then I give you four scriptural references, and you won't specifically identify if these are future :)

Appears you want to run your own dog and pony show, no room for clarification and debate :)

Then you go so far as to state my question are playing games like other posters "Big Smiles"

Dan your not here to debate, its a one way street, or you would simply answer the four questions, so we can understand who you are, and your belief?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Answering a question with a question?
The scripture doesn't say second coming but the term is descriptive of when Jesus comes back as the conquering king. The first time as the suffering servant. I not sure why you have a problem with using that term?
Because is descriptive of a certain dogma; not of the context of Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That be a bit stringent don't you think ?
It is often called the return of the Messiah Jesus which is why people say 'second coming ' or second advent simply because he was here once previously . It makes the distinction of which time Jesus comes when discussing things that Jesus has said in His Word so people know what it meant
Well you say he was here one time and will come back one time. I say he has been coming down to earth multiple times both before he became a man and afterwards. The discussion needs to focus on this particular time in Matthew 24. Mark, 13 and Luke 21.
To address my "stringecy" on placing the word "second" in front of the word coming? Its not me that is stringent on the matter. About 20% of evangelical Christianity calls the doctrine of the "second" coming an essential truth. Meaning you can't even be a real Christian unless you accept it. So the other 80% don't agree with that but wait! You just try saying you don't believe in a "second" coming and watch the very first thing any pastor in this country will ask you. "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is God in the flesh and died for the sins of mankind and rose from the dead?" In other words they treat it as an almost essential truth. Yet the word phrase send coming does not exist in the Bible. It is a doctrine of man that has blinded millions of beleivers to the great truths of scripture that are aimed at eventually setting billions of believers free from oppressors. So lets stick to Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 for now.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The End Of An Age
M24.jpg
You should know that many, many Christians agree that the gospel scriptures you posted and Daniel 9 verses were fulfilled in 70 AD except possibly the last few in Matthew 24.
Have you read Josephus The Antiquities of the Jews? He was present there in 70AD.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟360,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Because we have 100% hindsight to know that Jesus has not returned yet from his departure to heaven in Acts 1 and arrival to heaven in Daniel 7, and the end of the world has not happened yet -

the coming Jesus spoke of, to this earth in Great Power and Glory, in the Olivet Discourse is a Second time -

compared to his entering this world being borne of Mary as the first time when he came into his own, but they received him not..

First coming

John1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Second coming
Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You state there is no such thing as "Second Coming" OK :)

So then I give you four scriptural references, and you won't specifically identify if these are future :)

Appears you want to run your own dog and pony show, no room for clarification and debate :)

Then you go so far as to state my question are playing games like other posters "Big Smiles"

Dan your not here to debate, its a one way street, or you would simply answer the four questions, so we can understand who you are, and your belief?
No, what you did was quote four scriptures that you place within the context of your dogma with a full confidence your dogma and scripture are one. I totally reject the whole premise of that as an argument or debate. I laid out my rules for ONE speicfic prophecy. If you don't want to debate me based on what I have written in the article I could care less. Don't worry. You got a couple of your bros ready to chime in and "debate" you (if you can call it that) on multitudes of verses.

Upvote 0