Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The truth being God's Word will bring freedom in every area of life, in every life situation.

Peace!
That is, of course, if you have interpreted God's Word correctly. It's the Truth that makes us free, not the mis-interpretation we have been taught (or mis-taught). :)

~Jim
Saying what you think is not the same as saying what you know.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is, of course, if you have interpreted God's Word correctly. It's the Truth that makes us free, not the mis-interpretation we have been taught (or mis-taught). :)

~Jim
Saying what you think is not the same as saying what you know.

So true!

I am so glad you finally recognized your "mis-interpretations"! :D

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Verses before and after are very interesting:

31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?” 34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Freedom from sin. But I think Jim is correct and it means freedom from lies and everything that comes with following those lies.

The word and connects verses 31 and 32. The condition of knowing the truth is continuing in his word and thus being his disciples. In other words if we follow Jesus we will experience the freedom that comes with following his truth.

Joh 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ai3theanswer

Oct 29, 2010
✟7,855.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 1:17 says the law was given by Moses but Grace and Truth came by Jesus Christ. So this means the law was not truth.

Notice Grace and truth are together in the person of Jesus Christ. You can't have truth without Grace, unmerited, unearned favor from God in Christ without working for it.

You can't understand what Jesus said in this statment if you don't understand the gospel Paul preached. Jesus told his disciples that He has a lot to say but they will not understand it now, it took for the Holy Spirit to come for them to fully understand grace. It takes the Holy Spirit to teach us that God doesn't remember our sins and He never will.

Pauls gospel it what Jesus was talking about when He said I have many things to tell you but not yet....Paul preached grace so radically that people were accusing him of saying "let us do evil that good may come". Paul knowing the law inside out, front to back never taugh anything to do with law, he preached forgivness of sins by Jesus one sacrifice and God would never remember our sins again and every one who believes in Him is declared righteous. Acts 13-38,39. Paul did teach that the law was the ministry of death and strength of sin.

This grace message Paul was preaching is the power of God. Rom 1:16-17. You can't preach grace without it being the truth which brings us back to John 1:17.

So what is truth? Truth is grace (unmerited favor) in Christ. God is not, never will be imputing sins to you the believer ever again regardless of your actions or deeds. If that is to good to be true then look up what the word gospel means in rom 1:17 in the greek. It means to good to be true news.

Upvote 0

StevenL

Veteran
Sep 10, 2004
Louisiana, USA
✟10,024.00
Faith
Christian
I've come to the realization, in the latter years of my life, that EVERYTHING I've ever been taught or even believed after some searching in the scriptures, may just be someone's or my own "misinterpretation". I'm gonna have to leave "truth" to the Almighty and just do the best I can with my blurred image of "truth" for now.

To the OP's question: Your misinterpretation is probably just as good as mine! :)

Upvote 0