Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are Christians really required to observe the 7th day or else they take the mark of the beast as some SDA claim?

How do you address these verses then?

Colossians 1
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day: 17 which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ's.

Galatians 4
8 Howbeit at that time, not knowing God, ye were in bondage to them that by nature are no gods: 9 but now that ye have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how turn ye back again to the weak and beggarly rudiments, whereunto ye desire to be in bondage over again?

10 Ye observe days, and months, and seasons, and years.

11 I am afraid of you, lest by any means I have bestowed labor upon you in vain.

So would these prove that Sabbath can be anyday? Also sabbath is a day of rest, you cannot work or go buying things, start a fire. Why would we be under the law again.

Is it a sin not to observe the 7th day Sabbath? It just doesn't seem so from the Bible. Old Covenant is different from New, if you pick and choose from old covenant why not follow the whole law then?

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are Christians really required to observe the 7th day or else they take the mark of the beast as some SDA claim?

Colossians 1
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day: 17 which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ's.

Galatians 4
8 Howbeit at that time, not knowing God, ye were in bondage to them that by nature are no gods: 9 but now that ye have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how turn ye back again to the weak and beggarly rudiments, whereunto ye desire to be in bondage over again?

11 I am afraid of you, lest by any means I have bestowed labor upon you in vain.

So would these prove that Sabbath can be anyday? Also sabbath is a day of rest, you cannot work or go buying things, start a fire. Why would we be under the law again.

Is it a sin not to observe the 7th day Sabbath? It just doesn't seem so from the Bible. Old Covenant is different from New, if you pick and choose from old covenant why not follow the whole law then?
To answer your question: no.
If one desires to attempt(and fail at)keeping the law. Good luck but they will fail.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Colossians 1

Galatians 4

So am I to understand that every Christian who lived from 100 through 1844 AD is in hell right now, and 99 percent of those who have lived since?

So, the Jews, the Muslims, the nonbelievers, and all the Christians are in hell. Just Ellen White and a few uptight SDAs in heaven. Forever. Playing pinochle I suppose.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Hello, I'm not SDA.

If you look at Colossians 2:16 by itself, then it is ambiguous as to when Paul was saying not to let anyone judge them for keeping God's holy days or for not keeping them, but it we look at the context of the views of the people judging them and keep in mind the theme that we must obey God rather than man, then it becomes clear:

Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

Paul would never have described those who were teaching obedience to the holy, righteous, and good commands of God in accordance with the example that Christ set for his followers as taking people captive by philosophy and empty deceit according to human tradition and not according to Christ. He went into more details about what these elemental spirits of the world are later in the chapter:

Colossians 2:20-23 If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— 21 “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” 22 (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? 23 These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.

So the Colossians were keeping God's holy days in obedience to His commands and in accordance with the example Christ set for us to follow, they were being judged by those teaching human traditions and precepts, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body, and Paul was writing to encourage them not to let any man judge them keep them from obeying God.

Paul addressed these verses to those who formerly did not know God, aka former pagans. As such, they were formerly keeping God's holy day and therefore Paul could not have been criticizing them for returning to them. Furthermore, Paul would never have referred to the holy, righteous, and good commands of God as being weak and worthless elementary principles of the world. So whatever was being referred to in verse 10 is in the context of returning to paganism, not in regard to God's holy days.

Furthermore, Paul would not have referred to as obeying God's Law as being bondage. God did not save the Israelites out of bondage in Egypt in order to put them under bondage to His Law, but rather it is for freedom that God sets us free (Galatians 5:1) and God's Law is a law of freedom (Psalms 119:45), while it is sin in transgression of God's Law that puts us in bondage (John 8:34).

The opinion that we have of the Law matches the opinion that we have of the Lawgiver. For example, if someone thinks that God's Law is holy, righteous, and good, then they must also think that God is holy, righteous, and good for giving it. So if someone has such a low opinion of the Law that they consider it to be bondage, then they must also have an equally low opinion of God. The Psalms contain extremely high praise for God's Law, which certainly matched David's opinion of the Lawgiver, and if you consider the Psalms to be Scripture and to therefore express a correct view of God's Law, then you should share it instead of holding the polar opposite of the view expressed in Scripture.

So would these prove that Sabbath can be anyday? Also sabbath is a day of rest, you cannot work or go buying things, start a fire.

If God had wanted us to rest once per week, then He could have commanded that, but He only blessed the 7th day and commanded it to be observed.

Why would we be under the law again.

The existence of sin requires there to be a standard of what is and is not sin, and that standard is revealed through God's Law. Gentiles are either under God's Law and are obligated to refrain from sin and are not under God's Law, have no obligation to refrain from sin, and have never needed Jesus to give himself to redeem them from all Lawlessness.

However, God is God, so all Gentiles are under God's Law and are obligated to obey it and to refrain from sin regardless of whether or not they are in a covenant relationship with Him. For example, God judged the world the the Flood for their sins, God will judge the world in Revelation, God threatened to judge Nineveh, and God judged Sodom and Gomorrah for their Lawless deeds (2 Peter 2:6-8). So they didn't get a choice of whether or not they wanted to be under God's Law and neither do you. God have revealed to you what sin is through His Law and the choice that you do get to make is whether or not you are going to repent and obey by faith.

Indeed, it is always a sin to disobey God's Law (1 John 3:4). While we are under the New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, we are nevertheless still under the same God with the same ways and therefore the same instructions for how to walk in His ways. For example, if the way to act in accordance with God's righteousness changed when the New Covenant was made, then God's righteousness would not be eternal, but God's righteousness and all of His righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:142, 160). So while the Mosaic Covenant has become obsolete, its instructions for how to train in righteousness did not become obsolete along with it, but rather all Scripture is still profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
To answer your question: no.
If one desires to attempt(and fail at)keeping the law. Good luck but they will fail.

In Deuteronomy 30:11-14, God said that His Law is not too difficult for His people to obey and I believe Him, do you?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Sabbath has a greater and deeper meaning than it ever did before under the new covenant for Christians. Saturdays were a forerunner, a small glimpse of the perfection and beauty of the Christian Sabbath which is a spiritual rest which is naturally better than a literal day of physical (flesh) rest. The true Sabbath is a rest for the spirit and soul rather than our carnal flesh.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The Sabbath has a greater and deeper meaning than it ever did before under the new covenant for Christians. Saturdays were a forerunner, a small glimpse of the perfection and beauty of the Christian Sabbath which is a spiritual rest which is naturally better than a literal day of physical (flesh) rest. The true Sabbath is a rest for the spirit and soul rather than our carnal flesh.

God's Law has always been about finding rest for our souls:

Jeremiah 6:16-19 Thus says the Lord: “Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls. But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’ 17 I set watchmen over you, saying, ‘Pay attention to the sound of the trumpet!’ But they said, ‘We will not pay attention.’ 18 Therefore hear, O nations, and know, O congregation, what will happen to them. 19 Hear, O earth; behold, I am bringing disaster upon this people, the fruit of their devices, because they have not paid attention to my words; and as for my law, they have rejected it.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God's Law has always been about finding rest for our souls

And the Sabbath was fulfilled and became Christ for our spiritual rest since the cross. We now do not keep the shadow but the fulfilled Sabbath. That's why the overwhelming majority in Christianity keeps the NT Sabbath not the Jewish OT Sabbath.

Hebrews 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not
afterward have spoken of another day.
Hebrews 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath
ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

"For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath
ceased from his own works, as God did from his."

Hebrews 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest
any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

"Let us labour therefore to enter into THAT rest, lest
any man fall after the same example of unbelief."

• Winner
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Colossians were Sabbath keepers and did not go to church on sundays

They wouldn't have been Saturday Sabbath keepers because they would have known the original Sabbath was nailed to the cross through fulfillment.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

• Winner
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where did Sunday worship come from?

Christ resurrecting on a Sunday plus the disciples meeting on Sunday and Paul preaching.

Act 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not 100% where it came from, but it’s 100% certain that it didn’t come from the Bible

Of course it came from the bible.

• Agree
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Colossians 1

Galatians 4

Colossians 2:13-16
When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him. Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day.

What do you think the following points that Paul mentions, actually mean in the context of Colossians 2.

i) the certificate of debt of decrees against us?
ii) what festivals?
iii) what does, 'a new moon', mean?
iv) a Sabbath day?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul wrote to the Galatians to correct what the Judaizers had done.
They came in after Paul and started telling the Galatians that they had to keep the law in order to be saved.
Paul said this was another gospel and should be shunned.

Upvote 0

godenver1

Christian
Jul 12, 2015
✟29,119.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
No, Christians don't have to observe the Jewish Sabbath. We are not Jews. Exodus 31 and Deuteronomy 5 make it clear that the Sabbath law, as recorded by Moses and given to the Israelites had specific purposes under the old covenant. Christians are under the new, which is better (Hebrews 7, Jeremiah 31).

Further, there are numerous verses mentioned above, one which specifically states not to let anyone judge you for not observing the Sabbath.

Also, the earliest Chrisitans worshiped and communed on a Sunday (Acts 20, Revelation 1).

Also, the Council of Jersualem didn't feel the need to tell the Gentiles to observe the Jewish Sabbath in Acts 15. There is a wealth of biblical reasons not to observe the Jewish Sabbath. Why unnecessarily place yourself under the Mosaic Law?

I'd ask an SDA why they observe the Old Covenant Ten Commandments, but not the rest of the Mosaic Law? Where does that distinction come from?

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul wrote to the Galatians to correct what the Judaizers had done.
They came in after Paul and started telling the Galatians that they had to keep the law in order to be saved.
Paul said this was another gospel and should be shunned.

I have little insight on the Mosaic law, since I'm still learning. Are the sins that Jesus telling us not to do in terms of morality/ethics? Or is there no distinction and Sabbath is a moral thing.

This stuff can get confusing with all the different views. there are 613 laws or so. I'd get a conviction if I did something morally wrong, but no conviction if I don't observe the 7th day. I'm not seeing anywhere where Jesus wants us to keep the 7th day. If he does I don't mind doing it, but for now I don't see it.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you celebrate the resurrection of the Christ?
I celebrate the resurrection of the Messiah, but not in a Christmas, Easter, and go to church on Sunday kind of way. These ways of celebrating the resurrection of the Messiah are not biblical and are rooted in paganism and worship of other gods

Upvote 0