✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let’s post it:

Jeremiah Jeremiah 17:22 nor carry a burden out of your houses on the Sabbath day, nor do any work, but hallow the Sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers.

What is the context- work. Jesus healing someone and telling them to take up their bed is not working.

Regarding kindling a fire have you ever tried? It’s a lot of work and something that takes hours. That’s what the Preparation Day (Friday) is for, to kindle fires and do all major cooking to prepare for God’s holy Sabbath day. It’s not a sin to eat on the Sabbath as shown by gathering the double portion of manna for the Sabbath Exodus 16:22-23 and the disciples eating grain on the Sabbath.

Still didn’t answer my question…..
Can you explain why Jesus told the man to carry his bed, which was unnecessary? What do you think is the reason?

Firstly, it says that they should not light a fire at home; it does not say that they should not light a fire because it's too much exhausting and takes too long. The fire itself is referred to.

Secondly, you claim that it took the Jews hours to light a fire. Please give me sources that confirm this.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain why Jesus told the man to carry his bed, which was unnecessary? What do you think is the reason?

Firstly, it says that they should not light a fire at home; it does not say that they should not light a fire because it's too much exhausting and takes too long. The fire itself is referred to.

Secondly, you claim that it took the Jews hours to light a fire. Please give me sources that confirm this.

Exodus 35:3 You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath day.”

It says to not kindle a fire, because as I previously stated its a lot of work.

I’m not comfortable questioning why Jesus did something, but trust that what He does is because its for the good. I am assuming the bed is all that this person owned and Jesus telling Him to carry His only belongings is for the good of this person.

This line of questioning over Jesus intentions is not something I am comfortable with. We are not equal to Jesus and we will never understand all of His ways. I trust that Jesus kept the commandments just like He said He did and told us to as well. I place my trust in Jesus and not the Pharisees who falsely accused Him of many things. This is like crucifying Jesus all over again and it’s really sad.

Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I already addressed your post previously and my answer are not going to change, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I noticed you did not answer the question, that I assume you do not think Jesus is God either since that is what the Pharisees also accused Him of not being.
I have checked the accusation of the Jews through the Scriptures and come to the clear conclusion that they were right. Carrying the bed was breaking the Sabbath. The law agrees with the Jews.

The Jews accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath and claiming to be God. The Jews had so much insight to realise that Jesus claimed to be God. Augustine commented on this passage by saying: "The Jews understand what the Unitarians don't understand" They understood his claim to be God, but they did not believe.

John's wording in John 5:18 confirms the accusations of the Jews. I have a question for you, if John is only repeating the accusations of the Jews, which is not actually inferred by the wording, then explain to me, was the Jews' understanding that Jesus claimed to be God also wrong?

Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It says to not kindle a fire, because as I previously stated its a lot of work.
I asked where does it say: "because its a lot of work." Actually, the Bible passage only says not to light a fire. You are just adding your own words to the Bible.

And prove to me that it was hard work for the Jews to light a fire.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have checked the accusation of the Jews through the Scriptures and come to the clear conclusion that they were right. Carrying the bed was breaking the Sabbath. The law agrees with the Jews.

The Jews accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath and claiming to be God. The Jews had so much insight to realise that Jesus claimed to be God. Augustine commented on this passage by saying: "The Jews understand what the Unitarians don't understand" They understood his claim to be God, but they did not believe.

John's wording in John 5:18 confirms the accusations of the Jews. I have a question for you, if John is only repeating the accusations of the Jews, which is not actually inferred by the wording, then explain to me, was the Jews' understanding that Jesus claimed to be God also wrong?

John 5:18
For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

Mark 14:55 Now the chief priests and all the council sought testimony against Jesus to put Him to death, but found none. 56 For many bore false witness against Him, but their testimonies did not agree.

The Jews did not believe Jesus was equal to God and they believed that Jesus broke the Sabbath. Since you believe that Jesus broke the Sabbath I am assuming you also believe the Pharisees that He is not equal to God either.

I’m going to bow out of this thread because I am not in a place to judge Jesus, I trust that He never sinned and kept all of the commandments just like He told us. I have already explained everything and you seem set on Jesus breaking the Sabbath. You are free to believe what you want, but this is crucifying Jesus all over again and I will leave that between you and Jesus to sort out.

Take care.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I asked where does it say: "because its a lot of work." Actually, the Bible passage only says not to light a fire. You are just adding your own words to the Bible.

And prove to me that it was hard work for the Jews to light a fire.

I never said kindling a fire is a lot of work that is started in the scriptures, so you are adding words I have not said and are falsely accusing me of something that is not true. I made an opinion that kindling a fire is a lot of work- we are not to work on the Sabbath which make sense why we were told not to kindle a fire on the Sabbath and why we have the Preparation Day so we can be ready for God’s Holy Sabbath day. Like I said, I am signing out of this thread. You take care and I wish you well in seeking His Word.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟43,560.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Pharisees had reasoned that healing was work and that work is unlawful on the Sabbath, therefore it is unlawful to heal on the Sabbath. However, we are also commanded to love our neighbor and it would not be loving our neighbor to refuse to heal them, and no command was intended to be understood as preventing the greatest two commandments from being obeyed, which is why Jesus correctly ruled that it is lawful to heal on the Sabbath.
(Luke 14:5) How heavy is an ox? Why did Jesus allow them to pull it up? That heavy ox won’t die without food and water in the pit in one day. Are we commanded to love an ox?

If someone thought that they understood the spiritual principle of love, so they no longer needed to take actions that express love for God and our neighbor, then they would be missing the whole point.
which he expressed through living in sinless obedience to God's law,
Not so straightforward. Since God is love, Jesus is love. But this Love (Jesus) said, “Disregard them! They are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit (Mark 7:14-23).” When the Law said, “‘Cursed is he who lets a blind man wander in the road.’ And let all the people say, ‘Amen!’ (Deuteronomy 27:18)” – This is breaking the law. Likewise, for not keeping the law by letting an adulteress go (John 8:3-5, Leviticus 20:10).

But Jesus is good the way He is. We do not need to craft Him an image that aligns with our human impression of good. If the scripture said He did all these but has no sin counted upon Him, then He has set the examples of what is considered sinless. If the scripture says Jesus broke the Sabbath, He did. We don’t have to twist the scripture to suit our image of goodness. (Matthew 5:37)

The foreshadows testify about what is to come, so we should live in a way that testifies about what is to come by obeying what God has commanded rather than a way that denies the truth of what is to come.
If the foreshadows should be kept, sacrifices should remain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
(Luke 14:5) How heavy is an ox? Why did Jesus allow them to pull it up? That heavy ox won’t die without food and water in the pit in one day. Are we commanded to love an ox?

The Bible does show concern for animals, such as with Noah's Ark, or with sending away the mother birth, or or not taking a limb from a living animal, or not plowing an ox with a donkey together.

Not so straightforward. Since God is love, Jesus is love. But this Love (Jesus) said, “Disregard them! They are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit (Mark 7:14-23).” When the Law said, “‘Cursed is he who lets a blind man wander in the road.’ And let all the people say, ‘Amen!’ (Deuteronomy 27:18)” – This is breaking the law.

Jesus speaking against following blind guides is not contrary to Deuteronomy 27:18. Do you think that Jesus was in disagreement with the Father on this matter and therefore not one with Him?

Likewise, for not keeping the law by letting an adulteress go (John 8:3-5, Leviticus 20:10).

Rather, John 8:1-12 is an example of Jesus acting in accordance with the Mosaic Law requires. There was no judge to pronounce a sentence (Deuteronomy 19:17-21), there was no man accused (Leviticus 20:10), he didn't have any witnesses to examine (Numbers 35:30, Deuteronomy 19:15), and he did not have a confession, so if he had condemned her, then he would have acted in violation of the Mosaic Law. Just a few verses later Jesus said that he judged no one (John 8:15) and he also said that he came not to judge (John 12:47), so he did not exercise authority as a magistrate and did not condemn her, but he did recognize her action as sin, and told her to go and sin no more.

But Jesus is good the way He is. We do not need to craft Him an image that aligns with our human impression of good. If the scripture said He did all these but has no sin counted upon Him, then He has set the examples of what is considered sinless. If the scripture says Jesus broke the Sabbath, He did. We don’t have to twist the scripture to suit our image of goodness. (Matthew 5:37)

While I agree that we do not need to craft Jesus into an image that aligns with our human impression of God, we should still avoid interpreting the Bible in a way that contradicts itself. God's law was given to give us knowledge of sin (Romans 3:20), we would not know what sin is if it were not for God's law (Romans 7:7), and is defined as the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so to say that Jesus is sinless is to say that he never transgressed it. If the Bible had stated that Jesus broke the Sabbath, then he sinned, and it would be contradicting itself to also say that he was without sin, however, the Bible does not say that he broke the Sabbath, but rather it says that the reason they had for wanting to kill him was that he had broken the Sabbath. Whether or not they were correct in thinking that he had broken the Sabbath is another issue.

If the foreshadows should be kept, sacrifices should remain.

In Acts 21:20-24, Paul planned to making animal sacrifices in order to disprove false rumors that he had been teaching against the Mosaic Law and to show that he continued to live in obedience to it. In Hebrews 8:4, it refers to offerings that were still being made in accordance with the Mosaic Law. Animal sacrifices did not stop with the death or resurrection of Jesus, but only stopped because of the destruction of the temple. If all of Israel had accepted Jesus as the Messiah, the the 2nd temple would not have been destroyed, and sacrifices would remain.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟43,560.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible does show concern for animals, such as with Noah's Ark, or with sending away the mother birth, or or not taking a limb from a living animal, or not plowing an ox with a donkey together.
Is Proverbs 12:10 greater than Jeremiah 21:22 in the context of the two greatest commandments that exclude animals? To obey both instructions, we can drop food or water into the pit during Sabbath and pull it up immediately the next day. Right?

Jesus speaking against following blind guides is not contrary to Deuteronomy 27:18. Do you think that Jesus was in disagreement with the Father on this matter and therefore not one with Him?
Jesus did just that in one of His healing of the blind (John 9:11-12), letting a blind man wander in the road (Deuteronomy 27:18). The Father is Spirit (John 4:24), even if the law is spiritual (Romans 7:14), what Jesus said in (Matthew 15:14) is in disagreement with Him. That is why I suggested it is not that straightforward. In many other cases, Jesus did break the law on the physical level but not on the spiritual level. That is why He never sins.

Rather, John 8:1-12 is an example of Jesus acting in accordance with the Mosaic Law requires. There was no judge to pronounce a sentence (Deuteronomy 19:17-21), there was no man accused (Leviticus 20:10), he didn't have any witnesses to examine (Numbers 35:30, Deuteronomy 19:15), and he did not have a confession, so if he had condemned her, then he would have acted in violation of the Mosaic Law. Just a few verses later Jesus said that he judged no one (John 8:15) and he also said that he came not to judge (John 12:47), so he did not exercise authority as a magistrate and did not condemn her, but he did recognize her action as sin, and told her to go and sin no more.
The adulteress was caught in an act (John 8:4), which was why Jesus asked her to sin no more. If those without sin should cast a stone, Jesus should be stoning her but choose not to do so to fulfill Isaiah 11:3-4.

While I agree that we do not need to craft Jesus into an image that aligns with our human impression of God, we should still avoid interpreting the Bible in a way that contradicts itself. God's law was given to give us knowledge of sin (Romans 3:20), we would not know what sin is if it were not for God's law (Romans 7:7), and is defined as the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so to say that Jesus is sinless is to say that he never transgressed it. If the Bible had stated that Jesus broke the Sabbath, then he sinned, and it would be contradicting itself to also say that he was without sin, however, the Bible does not say that he broke the Sabbath, but rather it says that the reason they had for wanting to kill him was that he had broken the Sabbath. Whether or not they were correct in thinking that he had broken the Sabbath is another issue.
The scripture says He broke the Sabbath but was innocent in the eyes of God not because He did not break it, but because He was the spiritual High Priest, and God is Spirit, and His law is spiritual.

In Acts 21:20-24, Paul planned to making animal sacrifices in order to disprove false rumors that he had been teaching against the Mosaic Law and to show that he continued to live in obedience to it. In Hebrews 8:4, it refers to offerings that were still being made in accordance with the Mosaic Law. Animal sacrifices did not stop with the death or resurrection of Jesus, but only stopped because of the destruction of the temple. If all of Israel had accepted Jesus as the Messiah, the the 2nd temple would not have been destroyed, and sacrifices would remain.
Paul also circumcised Timothy for the sake of the Jews (Acts 16:3). What Paul did in Acts 21:20-24 is to keep 1 Corinthians 9:20-22. “To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), to win those under the law.”

• Useful
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there's a misunderstanding of what the Sabbath was about at the heart of your question. The heart of the Sabbath is about trusting God for provision, as in the time of the Old Covenant resources were scarce and not working for a day would cause hardship. The no kindling of fires is not about the work of building fires, but cooking. For the one day a week the nation of Israel was to rely on God to meet their needs rather than their own work of preparing meals. So the carrying of sticks was an issue not because of his manual labor, but because he was preparing to build a fire most likely with the intent of cooking himself a meal. The heart of the Sabbath is dependence on God, it is not about taking time for leisure activities. So the labor involved in carrying the bed is a non-issue, as it does not impede on the man's dependence on God for provision. The Pharisee's accusations completely missed what the Sabbath was about, instead of seeing it as a day to enjoy God's provision turning it into a burdensome list of prohibited actions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John 5:18
For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

I am aware that most commentators are of the opinion that Jesus did not break the Sabbath and that the Jews had falsely accused him, but if you look at it more closely, the Jews were actually right in their accusation that Jesus broke the Sabbath.

Reason:
The law says you shall not bear any burden on the Sabbath (Jeremiah 17:21-22). That this commandment is to be understood in exactly this way can be seen from the fact that God had a man stoned to death for carrying only wood on the Sabbath (Numbers 15:32-36). Jesus broke this commandment by commanding the healed man to carry his bed (John 5:10-11). The Jews were right in their accusation in this regard. And the clear proof that Jesus broke the Sabbath lies in the fact that John the author of the Gospel agrees with this in verse 18. If Jesus had not broken the Sabbath, he would not have expressed himself in this way but would have made it clear that the Jews were lying.

The reason why Jesus broke the ceremonial commandments like the Sabbath was not because he was a sinner for he is sinless but because he wanted to show that these commandments are to be understood spiritually. The Sabbath was never to be the seventh day of the week. The Sabbath was Jesus Christ, who is the true rest in which we should enter, as Paul said. Paul also said that God never wanted animal sacrifices, but that the true sacrifice is Jesus. The Old Testament is only a shadow, the New Testament is the fulfilment and the reality.

I guess that's one interpretation. But why think that prohibiting carrying your bed back home is necessitated by Deuteronomy's command to not "bear any burden?" It seems to me that it's also possible to think that "bearing a burden" is intended to apply to physical work/manual labor and so carrying your bed back home after being healed wouldn't be within scope of the command. That seems like another perfectly viable way to see it. The interpretation depends on what's within the scope of "bearing a burden." Is this intended to be an absolutist statement? Can I wear a shirt on Sabbath since it's an ever so slight burden? Can I pick up my kids to play with on the Sabbath (they weigh more than a mat)? Or is this intended to be understood withing the context of manual/physical labor?

Besides that, I think generally speaking the commands in the Torah were intended to have more leeway than people might think. So EVEN IF carrying one's bed after being healed was within the scope of Deut 17, it could still be that it's allowed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fervent
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think there's a misunderstanding of what the Sabbath was about at the heart of your question. The heart of the Sabbath is about trusting God for provision, as in the time of the Old Covenant resources were scarce and not working for a day would cause hardship. The no kindling of fires is not about the work of building fires, but cooking. For the one day a week the nation of Israel was to rely on God to meet their needs rather than their own work of preparing meals. So the carrying of sticks was an issue not because of his manual labor, but because he was preparing to build a fire most likely with the intent of cooking himself a meal. The heart of the Sabbath is dependence on God, it is not about taking time for leisure activities. So the labor involved in carrying the bed is a non-issue, as it does not impede on the man's dependence on God for provision. The Pharisee's accusations completely missed what the Sabbath was about, instead of seeing it as a day to enjoy God's provision turning it into a burdensome list of prohibited actions.

The heart of the commandments is trusting God that He knows what best for us. When we think we know better than God and follow our own rules instead of God’s rules we are trusting in our own works and not God. Only God can sanctify us we can not sanctify or save ourselves.

The heart of the Sabbath commandment is keeping the Sabbath day holy, which God deemed the seventh day. Exodus 20:10

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Why is that?

Because God wants us to rest from our works, just as He did at creation Genesis 2:1-3 and remember everything He did for us without us. The Sabbath is a memorial of Creation. When we obey God the way He asks, we place our faith and trust in Him.

The purpose of the Sabbath is the day to honor God. God gives us six days to do all thy work and labors Exodus 20:9 and only asks for one day back in return, the seventh day Sabbath as the day to honor God and keep holy, His holy day.

Isaiah 58:13 “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The heart of the commandments is trusting God that He knows what best for us. When we think we know better than God and follow our own rules instead of God’s rules we are trusting in our own works and not God. Only God can sanctify us we can not sanctify or save ourselves.

The heart of the Sabbath commandment is keeping the Sabbath day holy, which God deemed the seventh day. Exodus 20:10

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Why is that?

Because God wants us to rest from our works, just as He did at creation Genesis 2:1-3 and remember everything He did for us without us. The Sabbath is a memorial of Creation. When we obey God the way He asks, we place our faith and trust in Him.

The purpose of the Sabbath is the day to honor God. God gives us six days to do all thy work and labors Exodus 20:9 and only asks for one day back in return, the seventh day Sabbath as the day to honor God and keep holy, His holy day.

Isaiah 58:13 “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,
16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ

Not sure if you noticed but your argument went from completely changing what God said about His Sabbath commandment to now saying it ended at the cross.

Hopefully this will help…

It seems to be a common theme for those who think the Sabbath commandment ended to use Colossians 2:16-17. I would like to take a look at this scriptures and see if what Paul is talking about is one of God’s commandments.

The first step is understanding if commandments are ordinances.

Nehemiah 9:13
“You came down also on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven, And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments.

Scripture shows ordinances are not commandments and commandments are not ordinances- they are separated.

Most when quoting Colossians 2:16-17 never back up to Colossians 2:14 for some reason which plainly gives the context.

Colossians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

So we know this from Colossians 2:14:
1. They are handwritten
2. They are ordinances
3. They are contrary.

Does this fit the Sabbath commandment in any way? Absolutely not.
1. The Sabbath was finger-written by God Exodus 31:18
2. The Sabbath is a commandment of God. Exodus 20, Exodus 34:28
3. God said the Sabbath is holy and blessed Exodus 20:8-11

Colossians 2:14 certainly does not fit with the Sabbath commandment so not sure why so many people try to force this to fit despite the facts clearly showing it is not referring to the weekly Sabbath commandment.

Are there other sabbath(s) in scripture called ordinances that would lead us to the correct context of this passage? What does the scripture say?

2 Chronicles 33:8
Neither will I any more remove the foot of Israel from out of the land which I have appointed for your fathers; so that they will take heed to do all that I have commanded them, according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.

Moses hand-wrote the ordinances and the hand of Moses is not the same as the finger of God.

Ezekiel 43:18
And He said to me, “Son of man, thus says the Lord God: ‘These are the ordinances for the altar on the day when it is made, for sacrificing burnt offerings on it, and for sprinkling blood on it.

So what is Colossians 2:14-17 talking about? The sacrificial system in the annual sabbath(s) feast-day ordinances that was used for the forgiveness of sins. These all point to Jesus because He became our sacrificial Lamb for the forgiveness of sin and sanctification when we turn from sin and through Jesus He can give us a new heart and enables us to keep His commandments through love and faith. John 14:15-18, Romans 3:31. The blood of animals made nothing perfect Hebrews 10, but the blood of Christ can cleanse from all sins, when we turn from sin and walk with Christ in obedience to Him. The annual sacrificial sabbath(s) all came after the fall of man. The seventh day Sabbath is part of Creation Genesis 2:1-3 and was part of God’s perfect plan before the fall of man and sin. The sacrificial system was because of sin. These two sabbaths are very different and if one allowed the scriptures to reveal the context, this would be easy to understand that God did not do away with the one commandment He said to Remember and the only commandment that uses the word holy and blessed. Obviously it is not referring to the seventh day Sabbath as shown from Matthew 24:20, Isaiah 66:22-23, Revelation 14:12. Revelation 22:14-15 and the fact the apostles kept the Sabbath long after Jesus ascended back to heaven. Acts 18:4, Acts 13:44, Acts 13:42

There is no scripture that says we can break the commandments of God. The Sabbath is part of a unit of Ten Exodus 34:28 that God placed together and cannot be separated, changed, deleted or removed. Sin is the transgression of God’s law 1 John 3:4 and Paul quotes right to the 10 to point out sin. Romans 7:7

It’s sad so much energy goes in trying to disprove one of God’s finger-written Ten Commandments instead of just obeying God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if you noticed but your argument went from completely changing what God said about His Sabbath commandment to now saying it ended at the cross.

Hopefully this will help…

It seems to be a common theme for those who think the Sabbath commandment ended to use Colossians 2:16-17. I would like to take a look at this scriptures and see if what Paul is talking about is one of God’s commandments.

The first step is understanding if commandments are ordinances.

Nehemiah 9:13
“You came down also on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven, And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments.

Scripture shows ordinances are not commandments and commandments are not ordinances- they are separated.

Most when quoting Colossians 2:16-17 never back up to Colossians 2:14 for some reason which plainly gives the context.

Colossians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

So we know this from Colossians 2:14:
1. They are handwritten
2. They are ordinances
3. They are contrary.

Does this fit the Sabbath commandment in any way? Absolutely not.
1. The Sabbath was finger-written by God Exodus 31:18
2. The Sabbath is a commandment of God. Exodus 20, Exodus 34:28
3. God said the Sabbath is holy and blessed Exodus 20:8-11

Colossians 2:14 certainly does not fit with the Sabbath commandment so not sure why so many people try to force this to fit despite the facts clearly showing it is not referring to the weekly Sabbath commandment.

Are there other sabbath(s) in scripture called ordinances that would lead us to the correct context of this passage? What does the scripture say?

2 Chronicles 33:8
Neither will I any more remove the foot of Israel from out of the land which I have appointed for your fathers; so that they will take heed to do all that I have commanded them, according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.

Moses hand-wrote the ordinances and the hand of Moses is not the same as the finger of God.

Ezekiel 43:18
And He said to me, “Son of man, thus says the Lord God: ‘These are the ordinances for the altar on the day when it is made, for sacrificing burnt offerings on it, and for sprinkling blood on it.

So what is Colossians 2:14-17 talking about? The sacrificial system in the annual sabbath(s) feast-day ordinances that was used for the forgiveness of sins. These all point to Jesus because He became our sacrificial Lamb for the forgiveness of sin and sanctification when we turn from sin and through Jesus He can give us a new heart and enables us to keep His commandments through love and faith. John 14:15-18, Romans 3:31. The blood of animals made nothing perfect Hebrews 10, but the blood of Christ can cleanse from all sins, when we turn from sin and walk with Christ in obedience to Him. The annual sacrificial sabbath(s) all came after the fall of man. The seventh day Sabbath was part of Creation Genesis 2:1-3 and was part of God’s perfect plan before the fall of man.

There is no scripture that says we can break the commandments of God. The Sabbath is part of a unit of Ten Exodus 34:28 that God placed together and cannot be separated, changed, deleted or removed. Sin is the transgression of God’s law 1 John 3:4 and Paul quotes right to the 10 to point out sin. Romans 7:7

It’s sad so much energy goes in trying to disprove one of God’s finger-written Ten Commandments instead of just obeying God.
I didn't say it ended at the cross, I quoted Paul saying that the substance of the Sabbath is in Christ, without comment.

The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You are accusing Yeshua of sinning. I am sure He will not be found guilty. Have you not read all the Bible yet? Yeshua did not sin. Ever.

The bed carried by the healed man, was more accurately called a mat or cloth. A yoga mat or picnic blanket would be a modern equivalent. Yeshua healed him of his paralysis. Carrying his mat would not be a burden to him. His mat was a witness to everyone that had seen him paralyzed all the time.

Please understand, you are reading a translation of a translation. And from this, along with your limited understanding of Shabbat laws, and Jewish culture, you believe Yeshua was a sinner.

Did you know that it is even forbidden to light fires in your own house on the Sabbath (Exodus 35:3)? Did you know that it is forbidden to cook at home on the Sabbath, but that food must be prepared the day before? Cooking is even forbidden, and you want to tell me that carrying a bed is not considered a burden?
Yes any Jewish person knows these things. Please step down from your arrogant high horse before it bucks you into a pile of steaming you-know-what.

Please educate yourself on Shabbat laws and Jewish culture, before joining hands with the devil and falsely accusing our Messiah of not only breaking Shabbat, but also commanding others to do so as well. Even Pilate, who was not Jewish, understood Jewish culture at the time well enough to say "I find no fault in this man". King Herod also could not pin any crime on him.

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say it ended at the cross, I quoted Paul saying that the substance of the Sabbath is in Christ, without comment.

I’m afraid you are not looking at the context.

Colossians 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Christ became the Sacrificial Lamb and we go to Him for the forgiveness of sins when we repent. Acts 2:38 The Sabbath is impossible to be a shadow of anything because it started at Creation before sin. The Sabbath is a memorial of creation- “Remember” the Sabbath day to keep it holy Exodus 20:8 it points backwards to Creation because it already happened from the very beginning. Genesis 2:1-3
The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

The Sabbath is made for man and the greek word here is human-beings. The same greek word is used at creation when God made man Genesis 1:26 right before the very first Sabbath celebrated in the presence of God!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m afraid you are not looking at the context.

Colossians 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Christ became the Sacrificial Lamb and we go to Him for the forgiveness of sins when we repent. Acts 2:38 The Sabbath is impossible to be a shadow of anything because it started at Creation before sin. The Sabbath is a memorial of creation- “Remember” the Sabbath day to keep it holy Exodus 20:8 because it already happened from the very beginning. Genesis 2:1-3
I gave no interpretation.

Upvote 0