Jesus died as a 21 year old(moved from Traditional Theology)

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"'But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons'' (Galatians 4:4, 5)

Jesus' was made of a woman, under the law, to redeem those who were under the law that we may receive the adoption as children of the Most High. It doesn't say He was inserted into her womb and born. Rather, through the mystery of the Incarnation, He took on her flesh while remaining fully.
Adam was made of the Earth but this does not imply an inheritence of any information from the Earth, rather the Father made Him.
Could not have the Image of God, the second Adam, been created in the same way from the flesh of the Woman?

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Adam was made of the Earth but this does not imply an inheritence of any information from the Earth, rather the Father made Him.
Could not have the Image of God, the second Adam, been created in the same way from the flesh of the Woman?
When our flesh decomposes it turns back to earth, so yeah, there is an inheritance.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Jesus as the Image of God needed to be in the same condition we are, as He was not redeeming the pre-fall condition of Adam. He redeemed humanity in the post-Fall condition.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been thinking about this for some time and would love everyone's feedback. All the pictures of Jesus I have seen painted always portray him as a 33 year old, and I believe this is incorrect.

Science tells me that it takes 7 years for every cell in the body to be replaced. In the first 3 cycles of 7 years we see the transformation of a infant to child; child to teen, and teen to adult. After 21 the growth process ends and the 7 year cycles are to replace the cells.

I realized when I first understood this that this is the reason we age. Because of sin in us our bodies do not replicate the cells exactly right and are a little off. Similar to a copy machine making copies of copies you get a deterioration in picture quality that eventually no longer looks like the first picture. Likewise with us; with each passing cycle of 7 years we age and look older until the cycle is so far off we die of natural causes.

Even with children growing to adulthood the effect of sin on their bodies is evident with blemishes, pimples, moles, etc. They just are not as noticeable due to the extreme changes occurring with their maturation.

But not so with Jesus. He was sinless from birth. Therefore he never had pimples or any other blemish, nor any sickness. When he reached twenty one, the next 7 year cycle would have perfectly replaced their cells, so at 28 he still looked 21. Likewise when he died at 33, five years into his next 7 year cycle, he would have still looked 21.

If God still uses this system when we get our glorified bodies, then we will all look 21 for ever.

BTW, as a side note, if men can say they are women trapped in a man's body, I think I am a 21 year old trapped in a 63 year old body, and I should get special rights ;).

Interesting thoughts but I think the biblical timeline as well as Judean culture would disagree.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When our flesh decomposes it turns back to earth, so yeah, there is an inheritance.
I am referring to the information that makes us biologically alive. So when the flesh decomposes there is a loss of information that the Creator put into the living creature to make it live (BTW I think it is a bit more than "information" that makes us live, it is also the living breath of God).
That is why Christ wrote in the dust the names of the unmerciful, the information is lost and if it is He that writes it we are lost forever.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I am referring to the information that makes us biologically alive. So when the flesh decomposes there is a loss of information that the Creator put into the living creature to make it live (BTW I think it is a bit more than "information" that makes us live, it is also the living breath of God).
That is why Christ wrote in the dust the names of the unmerciful, the information is lost and if it is He that writes it we are lost forever.
The information you're talking about is the human soul, which leaves prior to the decomposition.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The information you're talking about is the human soul, which leaves prior to the decomposition.
Sort of. It is the "Nephesh" of Genesis 1, the breath of God that gives all living things life.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
As a fully human man he had no sin nature, which apparently is passed on by the human father, not by the mother, hence the virgin birth.

How do you come to that conclusion??

Jesus had one father from before He was born and could never have another. Jesus had a human, Jewish mother. It is the father that determines the line of the family and the Priesthood. It is the mother that determines whether you are Jewish nor not. It is only lately that Israel is considering having both lines determine whether you are Jewish or not. It is traditional that no matter what the father was, if the mother is a Jew--the child is a Jew, if the father was a Jew, but the mother was not--then the child was not considered a Jew---period.
Jesus had to have His heavenly Father as His father to claim the Royal Priesthood, He had to have a Jewish mother to be a Jew and claim the blood of Adam. Otherwise He could not fulfil prophecy.
Though no actual blood may be transferred from the mother through the womb to the child, the child has no actual blood from the father either in the womb. What is brought together is the DNA of both. Jesus was God before the incarnation, He was not created from the DNA of 2 human parents--He already was, it was THE actual Jesus that was somehow made into cells that could mingle with the DNA of Mary by the Holy Spirit. The DNA of Mary consisted of the DNA of her mother and father, thus Mary had the male DNA in her to contribute to the mingle, thus providing the human male DNA and the human female DNA also. Thus Jesus did indeed have the human DNA to be fully human, and thus a sinful nature which would have made Him subject to fully human aging.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Besides, the Bible itself gives a strong indication that the "21 only" theory isn't correct. Do you remember that some of Jesus' critics said to him that he was a young man not yet 50 years old? Surely, no one would use that benchmark to describe a 21 year old. Jesus' public ministry began (according to the Bible) in the 15th year of the reign of the Emperor Tiberius. And the events involving Pontius Pilate, also a known Roman figure whom we can place in time, would also make the "21 only" theory wrong.

Doesn't it also say that Jesus was about 30 years old when he began his ministry?

IIRC, Jesus was born between 4-6 AD, and I think there is a date for his crucifixion. (I don't know what it is; I have seen several quoted.) So there is good reason to say that he was 33 - 36 years old when he was crucified.
Whether or not he looked that age is something we'll never know, but I don't believe it had anything to do with not sinning. I'm frequently told that I don't look my age - but I'm certainly not perfect.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Aphthartodocetism is heretical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthartodocetae

-CryptoLutheran

Just for clarity the wiki article is a bit misleading. The Julianists believed Christ was impassible. That is could not feel pain or suffering etc. That he was exempt from all the blameless passions such as hunger, exhaustion, thirst, sickness, and I guess we can throw in immune from pimples during puberty. Hence Julianist's argued his voluntary passion and death was a mirage because if it was not, then it could not be voluntary.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Just for clarity the wiki article is a bit misleading. The Julianists believed Christ was impassible. That is could not feel pain or suffering etc. That he was exempt from all the blameless passions such as hunger, exhaustion, thirst, sickness, and I guess we can throw in immune from pimples during puberty. Hence Julianist's argued his voluntary passion and death was a mirage because if it was not, then it could not be voluntary.

Thy would have had to deny these, also:
Mat_21:18 Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.
Luk_4:2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
Joh_19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
Luk_22:44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
Joh_11:35 Jesus wept

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thy would have had to deny these, also:
Mat_21:18 Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.
Luk_4:2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
Joh_19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
Luk_22:44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
Joh_11:35 Jesus wept

This is correct but just keep in mind that they did not neccesarily deny these things. Instead they argued these things were external voluntary mirages not natural manifestations.

• Haha
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Aging is a consequence of the original sin, not a result of sin we commit. Obviously Jesus did age some (He was born as a baby!). Aging is a part of humanity which Jesus experienced like all other humans. He lived a perfect life and was free from sin, but his human body still suffered the consequences we all experience as a result of the fall.

Besides - 33 is still in the prime of our lifetime! It's not an "old" age. [emoji4]

I don't feel like I've aged at all. The picture on the left is me when I was 15. The one on the right is me one month ago at the age of 34 and I'll be 35 next month.

20160905_152210s.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All the pictures of Jesus I have seen painted always portray him as a 33 year old, and I believe this is incorrect.
The Antichrist will use those pictures to dupe people into taking the mark.

For the record about Jesus ...

Isaiah 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

I'm sure the sun, the weather, and the elements had plenty to do with His appearance of aging.

Do you think the Ancient of Days had tooth decay?

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't it also say that Jesus was about 30 years old when he began his ministry?
I neglected to, but another poster made that very point.

IIRC, Jesus was born between 4-6 AD, and I think there is a date for his crucifixion. (I don't know what it is; I have seen several quoted.) So there is good reason to say that he was 33 - 36 years old when he was crucified.
I think you meant 4-6 BC, but yes, these calculations--within a few years one way or the other--are now widely accepted as correct. He might have been a few years older at death but there's almost no way to push it below 30.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Aging is a consequence of the original sin, not a result of sin we commit. Obviously Jesus did age some (He was born as a baby!). Aging is a part of humanity which Jesus experienced like all other humans. He lived a perfect life and was free from sin, but his human body still suffered the consequences we all experience as a result of the fall.

Besides - 33 is still in the prime of our lifetime! It's not an "old" age.
emoji4.png

Actually in Roman times it was old age. Average lifespan in Roman times was about 35, so if you made it to 33 you had done pretty good, although that is somewhat misleading. Half of all children died before reaching puberty. If a person lived to 33 they would probably make it to 40 or even 50, assuming that there wasn't a plague or famine or earthquake or, has happened to Jesus, an unjust trial and execution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Average lifespan in Roman times was about 35, so if you made it to 33 you had done pretty good, although that is somewhat misleading. Half of all children died before reaching puberty. If a person lived to 33 they would probably make it to 40 or even 50, assuming that there wasn't a plague or famine or earthquake or, has happened to Jesus, an unjust trial and execution.

Fair enough. However, my point remains.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would actually consider your weakness of your view be to be the weak points you associate with the traditional view. Perhaps agreeing to disagree is the best path.

I do recommend read On The Incarnation by St Athanasius. It gives an interesting perspective that you might appreciate.
I agree that we agree to disagree. I, too, recommend a book for you to read: the Bible has much to say on the topic.

Upvote 0