✟24,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank you, and I like that.

There are passages, however, that indicate that Jesus baptized people before His death. Any ideas?

Water baptism is just a type of the true baptism. Remember, that Jesus spoke parables which was using earthly things attached to Spiritual Understanding. Water is a type of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, the disciples were submerging others into the Holy Spirit - The very Spirit that Jesus was a manifestation of. There are many types for the Spirit in God's work here.

Consider the flesh for example, It is also a type of the Spirit. I'm talking about physical Flesh and not the nature of the flesh. You are made from flesh and are a manifestation of your mother and father. In other words your comprised of their physical being. You will look like them and share their DNA. Likewise, The Father in Heaven imparts His Spirit and you emulate the Father as a Son. Your Spirit would then be exhibited like the Father's and His Son Jesus. So to be baptized into the Spirit is not about being baptized into the water but into the Spirit. The water baptism is not a requirement for receiving the Holy Spirit. It is merely a type or schoolmaster in this regard. God is Spirit and nothing earthly can be required in order to worship Him who is Heavenly.

• Winner
Reactions: Oneofhope
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just pointed out how it would be hard for me to have been baptized by Christ and thus why it might be hard for those in the first century to have been baptized by Christ and Jesus would have realized that.
See post #17.

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟56,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably has to do with this.

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Which couldn't be done until after Jesus's death.

7Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I just pointed out how it would be hard for me to have been baptized by Christ and thus why it might be hard for those in the first century to have been baptized by Christ and Jesus would have realized that.

Nah. If you received the Baptism of John, he would have Prepared the Way for your heart to receive Christ when the time comes. You wouldn't have struggled being Baptized by Him any more than the new Disciples were willing to leave their nets, boats, fathers, and livelihoods behind to follow a man they had never met. Conversely, those who rejected John's Baptism . . . their hearts were not Spiritually Prepared by John.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Water baptism is just a type of the true baptism. Remember, that Jesus spoke parables which was using earthly things attached to Spiritual Understanding. Water is a type of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, the disciples were submerging others into the Holy Spirit - The very Spirit that Jesus was a manifestation of. There are many types for the Spirit in God's work here.

Consider the flesh for example, It is also a type of the Spirit. I'm talking about physical Flesh and not the nature of the flesh. You are made from flesh and are a manifestation of your mother and father. In other words your comprised of their physical being. You will look like them and share their DNA. Likewise, The Father in Heaven imparts His Spirit and you emulate the Father as a Son. Your Spirit would then be exhibited like the Father's and His Son Jesus. So to be baptized into the Spirit is not about being baptized into the water but into the Spirit. The water baptism is not a requirement for receiving the Holy Spirit. It is merely a type or schoolmaster in this regard. God is Spirit and nothing earthly can be required in order to worship Him who is Heavenly.

All of physical creation is under the Curse of the Lord, except that which God has Redeemed. I find it interesting to see that so many believe that corrupt, physical water, is necessary to obtain that which is Pure, but only within the Spiritual Realm.

Reactions: cfposter
Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Which couldn't be done until after Jesus's death.

Hmmm . . . there are plenty of people in the Old Testament, and many in the New Testament who were filled with the Holy Spirit before Christ had been Resurrected.

Mary, Elizabeth, John the Baptist (while in his mother's womb), Zechariah, and Simeon . . . to name a few.

People were led by the Holy Spirit long before Christ.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone have any ideas as to why God would desire that we know that Jesus did not Baptize during the below event?

John 4:1-2 KJV - 1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

What is the lesson to be gained, here?
Romans 6 I think is about being baptized into Christ, which is different from water baptism. Does Romans 6:3-4 Teach Water Baptism?

I think the answer might be that Jesus could not baptize in his own name. By making others do it there always was a witness. Perhaps he could not bear witness about himself, or just seems weird to baptize someone in two roles? Like a preacher who is single marrying himself and his wife.

JOHN 5:31-35 31 “If I bear witness about Myself, My witness is not true. 32 There is another who bears witness about Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses about Me is true. 33 You sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth., Some on the web suggests it would give pride for those that got baptized by Jesus.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Romans 6 I think is about being baptized into Christ, which is different from water baptism. Does Romans 6:3-4 Teach Water Baptism?

I think the answer might be that Jesus could not baptize in his own name. By making others do it there always was a witness. Perhaps he could not bear witness about himself, or just seems weird to baptize someone in two roles? Like a preacher who is single marrying himself and his wife.

JOHN 5:31-35 31 “If I bear witness about Myself, My witness is not true. 32 There is another who bears witness about Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses about Me is true. 33 You sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth., Some on the web suggests it would give pride for those that got baptized by Jesus.
I love all that you have offered! Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks,
As I more fully read that link I sent I do disagree with the latter thoughts of the author about baptism not being needed at all. Next time I will make sure I read the entire article. There are other mainstream Christians that think Rom 6 is the baptism into the body of Christ and not water so that part seems legit.

The original question was great, I am glad it was asked as I never thought about it before. When I was younger I did hear a sermon on the seven types of baptisms. Holy Spirit, Fire, Suffering, Water, In the body of Christ, and baptism of Moses, and baptism of Jesus.

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Thanks,
As I more fully read that link I sent I do disagree with the latter thoughts of the author about baptism not being needed at all. Next time I will make sure I read the entire article. There are other mainstream Christians that think Rom 6 is the baptism into the body of Christ and not water so that part seems legit.

The original question was great, I am glad it was asked as I never thought about it before. When I was younger I did hear a sermon on the seven types of baptisms. Holy Spirit, Fire, Suffering, Water, In the body of Christ, and baptism of Moses, and baptism of Jesus.

Thank you for your kind words!

No doubt, Baptism is a challenging topic indeed. Why they want to fight and be rude about it is perplexing.

What I know is this . . . When the Lord Spiritually Circumcises a person's heart, they [will] desire baptism just as much the Eunuch did after his conversation with Philip. But I also am confident of this, if I am stuck in the desert where there is no water, and I share the message of Christ to the degree that someone is willing to submit to the terms of the Covenant of Circumcision . . . they're saved, even though there isn't a drop of water to be found. I base these beliefs off of tens of thousands of hours of Bible study, but still . . . I would never say that my beliefs are guaranteed accurate. Dogmatism . . . others can have it.

The Spiritual world does not depend on the physical world to Spiritually make a person Right with God the Father.

Cheers!

Reactions: cfposter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums