Jesus claimed He came to fulfill the Law, Did He?

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that's correct, I don't think we have to keep a literal commandment. That is, keep any commandment by the letter.

If we keep one by the letter, we have to keep all by the letter. That's how it looks to me.

The letter kills.
That’s not what you said a few posts back.

I think a great case can be made looking at just the ten commandments that we are to keep the letter of the law as well as the principle.

So you think we are free to worship other gods, steal, lie, murder, vain God’s name, break His holy Sabbath, cheat, bow to idols ? That’s what it means to not keep the literal commandments. You are free to believe what you want but this is not what the Bible teaches, not what Jesus taught.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s not what you said a few posts back.

So you think we are free to worship other gods, steal, lie, murder, vain God’s name, break His holy Sabbath, cheat, bow to idols ? That’s what it means to not keep the literal commandments. You are free to believe what you want but this is not what the Bible teaches, not what Jesus taught.
If we look at just the ten commandments, a great case can be made that we are to keep the letter of the law as well as the principle. Yes, that's correct.

But the Bible has more than 10 commandments in it. So if we look at just 10, we can get some off-target ideas.

No, I don't think we are free to worship other gods, steal, lie, murder, vain God’s name, break His holy Sabbath, cheat, bow to idols. That's because none of those, generally speaking, are in line with the deeper meaning of loving our neighbor.

I don't think it's good to avoid those activities because of the letter of a commandment. If we keep one of God's eternal laws by the letter, then we must keep all of them by the letter. Otherwise, we go off-target, imo.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If we look at just the ten commandments, a great case can be made that we are to keep the letter of the law as well as the principle. Yes, that's correct.

But the Bible has more than 10 commandments in it. So if we look at just 10, we can get some off-target ideas.

No, I don't think we are free to worship other gods, steal, lie, murder, vain God’s name, break His holy Sabbath, cheat, bow to idols. That's because none of those, generally speaking, are in line with the deeper meaning of loving our neighbor.

I don't think it's good to avoid those activities because of the letter of a commandment. If we keep one of God's eternal laws by the letter, then we must keep all of them by the letter. Otherwise, we go off-target, imo.

I am glad to hear you don’t think it’s okay to break the letter of the commandments, you had me scared for a moment.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of your own has answered this for me Bob...and hasnt even realised it whilst at the same time contradicting her own deductions in two texts of scripture she quotes^_^ .
I don't agree that anyone has answered any of my questions concerning spiritual Israel. How does one know when they become part of the group?

The two passages clearly prove that in fact the law and testament of the order of Aaron are now implemented spiritually and not literally. This does not actually mean they were not to be kept or are to be done away with, rather it supports the statement made in the new covenant (given in Jeremiah 31:31...hundreds of years before Jesus incarnation btw) where God would write his laws on our hearts and in our minds!
Which laws have you received in your heart Edgar, the 10 commandments, the laws from the 613 that pertain to man and woman? If it is the 10 then the greatest commandment of Love isn't there. Do you not have love in your heart?

moving along...
Yes indeed.

you ignore that fact the God set aside 1 special day for us to worship Him.
Ignore?? God set aside a special day for the Israelites to rest. He has never given a special day to any other nation, so using the word US is a misnomer, a falsehood.

Sabbath is not merely about rest in terms of a lazy day sleep in. That is a secular habit, not a christian doctrine.
Sabbath itself is not a Christian doctrine, it is a SDA doctrine.

In answer to this effort to "explain away" the Sabbath (and that is exactly what is being done by all Sunday worshipers), let me ask you this...

If Sunday is the Lords day (which it is not proven to be), and you claim we are to worship every day, why then do you insist on arguing for Sunday worship? Are you not supposed to be arguing against such a day?
Also, if it doesnt matter what day on which you worship, why not simply follow the oldest tradition and worship on the Jewish Sabbath?
I could care less what day you worship on. There is no mandate telling me that I have to worship on Sunday. The new covenant is not about when we worship. It is about our salvation. Why did you make a false statement concerning me arguing for Sunday worship? I have never ever said we should worship on any particular day. We are free to choose.

I did worship on the day God set aside for only Israel to worship and ended at Calvary. I was SDA and SDAs have a false prophet that wrote if we didn't "keep" the Jewish Sabbath we would lose eternal life. The Bible doesn't condemn man to Hell for not following the dictates of Ellen White. After a thorough study I found Adventism's Sabbath doctrine is false and now I have the opportunity to express the truths I have gleaned from the Bible. I found out I can find the true light without the "lesser light".

The "explain away" arguments honestly are not consistent or even logical. The fact remains, none of the apostles said the new Sabbath is Sunday, none of them are even demonstrated as having worshipped on any other day, and to add to this,
You are quite correct, the apostles never said Sunday is any different than any other day. Likewise they never ever indicated Saturday was either, so you need to be honest and not mimic old SDA proof jargon.

John (the disciple John) wrote in the final book of the bible in Rev 14:12

"12Here is a call for the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.
I google searched commandments of God (you know just to pretend to be one having no idea what the phrase even means) and voila look what it returns...
Yep, you found someone that agrees with what you think John wrote. The fact is that there is no "10" before commandments. Anyone 'indicating that the statement means 10 commandments is adding to scripture. I don't care if the president of Harvard Law School said it is referring to the 10 commandments. He/she would be adding to scripture. Had John wanted to relate that it was the 10 commandments I believe he would have indicated so. It is not your place nor the SDA church's privilege to do what John didn't do.

Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree that anyone has answered any of my questions concerning spiritual Israel. How does one know when they become part of the group?

Which laws have you received in your heart Edgar, the 10 commandments, the laws from the 613 that pertain to man and woman? If it is the 10 then the greatest commandment of Love isn't there. Do you not have love in your heart?

Yes indeed.

Ignore?? God set aside a special day for the Israelites to rest. He has never given a special day to any other nation, so using the word US is a misnomer, a falsehood.

I could care less what day you worship on. There is no mandate telling me that I have to worship on Sunday. The new covenant is not about when we worship. It is about our salvation. Why did you make a false statement concerning me arguing for Sunday worship? I have never ever said we should worship on any particular day. We are free to choose.

I did worship on the day God set aside for only Israel to worship and ended at Calvary. I was SDA and SDAs have a false prophet that wrote if we didn't "keep" the Jewish Sabbath we would lose eternal life. The Bible doesn't condemn man to Hell for not following the dictates of Ellen White. After a thorough study I found Adventism's Sabbath doctrine is false and now I have the opportunity to express the truths I have gleaned from the Bible. I found out I can find the true light without the "lesser light".

You are quite correct, the apostles never said Sunday is any different than any other day. Likewise they never ever indicated Saturday was either, so you need to be honest and not mimic old SDA proof jargon.

Yep, you found someone that agrees with what you think John wrote. The fact is that there is no "10" before commandments. Anyone 'indicating that the statement means 10 commandments is adding to scripture. I don't care if the president of Harvard Law School said it is referring to the 10 commandments. He/she would be adding to scripture. Had John wanted to relate that it was the 10 commandments I believe he would have indicated so. It is not your place nor the SDA church's privilege to do what John didn't do.
Honestly, I'm wasting O2 on discussing things that are clearly blocked by a fog of historical stupidity. A person showers you with so many Bible texts and even secular non Christian references that specifically support SDA doctrine only to have you come back with "don't preach false doctrine".

That is as bad as calling the earth flat when it is irrefutably round!

No one has ever preached E.G White says you are going to hell...that is ridiculous. The point is, if it is shown from the Bible that you should keep the Sabbath, and you are convicted in your heart that you should keep it, and you don't...then you are most definately heading in the wrong direction.
Personally I am not the slightest bit worried, I would rather make an error and keep the Sabbath of Genesis than Sunday of second century Christians who were clearly doing it to avoid the persecution Sabbath keeping Jews were receiving at the hands of the Romans.

Finally, the Seventh Day Sabbath is not an SDA church doctrine! How many times do you have to be told this?
The Seventh Day Sabbath came from the Baptist movement ...not the SDA's or indeed even the Millerites!

SDA are no more Millerite than you are Catholic or Lutheran!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is no "spiritual" Israel, there would be only true Israel, which would be in the one olive tree of God's people, the church, comprised of both OT and NT believers.

And Jesus is the fulfillment of God's own full-time rest from his work in the Sabbath, where in faith we rest in him who saved us, and not strive in our own works to save ourselves. For it is God who judges the thoughts of the heart and mind regarding our complete entering into God's full-time rest through faith in Jesus (Hebrews 3:7-4:13).

Yes indeed.

• Agree
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I'm wasting O2 on discussing things that are clearly blocked by a fog of historical stupidity. A person showers you with so many Bible texts and even secular non Christian references that specifically support SDA doctrine only to have you come back with "don't preach false doctrine".
Well now, you certainly did get that off your chest even though you are wrong about me being showered with biblical explanations. Your statement indeed was a waste. I asked you pointed questions, absolutely no response to them. I pointed out the fact that you are mistaken about what I believe about Sunday worship, absolutely no apology

That is as bad as calling the earth flat when it is irrefutably round!
Actually, I don't get the correlation.

No one has ever preached E.G White says you are going to hell...that is ridiculous.
I wouldn't preach it either because what she wrote was ridiculous. SDAs keep it hidden but she certainly did write it. "But if we turn aside from the fourth commandment, so positively given by God, to adopt the inventions of Satan, voiced and acted by men under his control, we cannot be saved. We cannot with safety receive his traditions and subtleties as truth." {RH, July 6, 1897 par. 4} If we cannot be saved what then becomes our fate? Ever hear of hell?

The point is, if it is shown from the Bible that you should keep the Sabbath,
Absolutely wrong Edgar. It was shown that the Israelites were to keep the Sabbath. Gentiles were never shown Sabbath keeping with the exception of the stranger within their gates.

and you are convicted in your heart that you should keep it, and you don't...then you are most definately heading in the wrong direction.
I was convinced to observe the Sabbath by the SDA giving me Bible studies. I was brought up believing the 10 commandments were my guide. I had no idea that they were given to only one nation, Israel, and no other people on Earth had them. When I was confronted with why I didn't keep the fourth commandment I, at that moment, decided to do what the command ask. It took years for me to really understand what I so positively know today. We are not under the Law.

Personally I am not the slightest bit worried, I would rather make an error and keep the Sabbath of Genesis than Sunday of second century Christians who were clearly doing it to avoid the persecution Sabbath keeping Jews were receiving at the hands of the Romans.
That is your choice, but please don't tell me I am wrong for believing no one is under the ritual laws of the old covenant. Paul makes it very plain that we are not.

Finally, the Seventh Day Sabbath is not an SDA church doctrine!
HMMM! I could swear that the 28 fundamental doctrines contain one on keeping the Seventh-day. Just a second while I look it up. Yes, here it is #20 The Sabbath, the gracious Creator, after the six days of Creation, rested on the seventh day and instituted the Sabbath for all people as a memorial of Creation. The fourth commandment of God’s unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is a day of delightful communion with God and one another. It is a symbol of our redemption in Christ, a sign of our sanctification, a token of our allegiance, and a foretaste of our eternal future in God’s kingdom. The Sabbath is God’s perpetual sign of His eternal covenant between Him and His people. Joyful observance of this holy time from evening to evening, sunset to sunset, is a celebration of God’s creative and redemptive acts. (Gen. 2:1-3; Exod. 20:8-11; 31:13-17; Lev. 23:32; Deut. 5:12-15; Isa. 56:5, 6; 58:13, 14; Ezek. 20:12, 20; Matt. 12:1-12; Mark 1:32; Luke 4:16; Heb. 4:1-11.)
#21 is one I saw and would like to make a comment about.
Stewardship, We are God’s stewards, entrusted by Him with time and opportunities, abilities and possessions, and the blessings of the earth and its resources. We are responsible to Him for their proper use. We acknowledge God’s ownership by faithful service to Him and our fellow human beings, and by returning tithe and giving offerings for the proclamation of His gospel and the support and growth of His church. Stewardship is a privilege given to us by God for nurture in love and the victory over selfishness and covetousness. Stewards rejoice in the blessings that come to others as a result of their faithfulness. (Gen. 1:26-28; 2:15; 1 Chron. 29:14; Haggai 1:3-11; Mal. 3:8-12; Matt. 23:23; Rom. 15:26, 27; 1 Cor. 9:9-14; 2 Cor. 8:1-15; 9:7.)

There is no such thing as Christian tithing. The old covenant tithing system only included those who raised crops and/or animals. the tent maker would not have been a tithe payer. Also, tithe was never paid in shekels. If you feel the desire to give ten percent I have no quell, but to tell us we will not receive our eternal reward unless we pay tithe is a complete falsehood. Yes, Ellen your revered prophet wrote that too.

How many times do you have to be told this?
You can tell me a thousand times some falsehood and if I know the real truth your telling me the falsehood won't make it become the truth.

The Seventh Day Sabbath came from the Baptist movement ...not the SDA's or indeed even the Millerites!

SDA are no more Millerite than you are Catholic or Lutheran!
What brought that up? No matter who it came from it doesn't make it relative to the new covenant. The only nation God ever required to observe a day was Israel. Israel ended at Calvary, but it took seventy more years to finally end it as a totalitarian nation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well now, you certainly did get that off your chest even though you are wrong about me being showered with biblical explanations. Your statement indeed was a waste. I asked you pointed questions, absolutely no response to them. I pointed out the fact that you are mistaken about what I believe about Sunday worship, absolutely no apology
Actually, I don't get the correlation.

I wouldn't preach it either because what she wrote was ridiculous. SDAs keep it hidden but she certainly did write it. "But if we turn aside from the fourth commandment, so positively given by God, to adopt the inventions of Satan, voiced and acted by men under his control, we cannot be saved. We cannot with safety receive his traditions and subtleties as truth." {RH, July 6, 1897 par. 4} If we cannot be saved what then becomes our fate? Ever hear of hell?

Absolutely wrong Edgar. It was shown that the Israelites were to keep the Sabbath. Gentiles were never shown Sabbath keeping with the exception of the stranger within their gates.

I was convinced to observe the Sabbath by the SDA giving me Bible studies. I was brought up believing the 10 commandments were my guide. I had no idea that they were given to only one nation, Israel, and no other people on Earth had them. When I was confronted with why I didn't keep the fourth commandment I, at that moment decided to do what the command ask. It took years for me to really understand what I so positively know today. We are not under the Law.

That is your choice, but please don't tell me I am wrong for believing no one is under the ritual laws of the old covenant. Paul makes it very plain that we are not.
HMMM! I could swear that the 28 fundamental doctrines contain one on keeping the Seventh-day. Just a second while I look it up. Yes, here it is #20 The Sabbath, the gracious Creator, after the six days of Creation, rested on the seventh day and instituted the Sabbath for all people as a memorial of Creation. The fourth commandment of God’s unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is a day of delightful communion with God and one another.
The Sabbath is a symbol of our redemption in Christ, a sign of our sanctification, a token of our allegiance, and a foretaste of our eternal future in God’s kingdom. The Sabbath is God’s perpetual sign of His eternal covenant between Him and His people.
Well, let's tease that out.

A symbol of our redemption in Christ. . .fulfilled in our entering into God's own full-time Sabbath rest in Christ's salvation, where we trust/rest full-time from our own works to save, and in Jesus' completed work which saved us (Hebrews 4:9-10).

A sign of our sanctification. . .applies to all Ten Commandments, which are fulfilled in Christ's two commandments (Matthew 22:37-41).

A token of our allegiance. . .applies to all Ten Commandments, which are fulfilled in Christ's two commandments of love of God and love of neighbor (Romans 13:8-10).

A foretaste of our eternal future in God's kingdom. . .fulfilled in our now being seated with Christ in the heavenlies (Ephesians 2:6).

God's perpetual sign of his eternal covenant. . .it is a perpetual (Heb: natsach = excellent; superior; pre-eminent) covenant, not a perpetual sign . . .and an eternal sign, not a perpetual sign.
The pre-eminent/excellent Mosaic Covenant which was temporarily added to the Abrahamic covenant (Galatians 3:19; Romans 5:20) has now been made obsolete (Hebrews 8:13), with its eternal sign of the Sabbath being fulfilled in our entering into God's own full-time Sabbath rest in our salvation in Jesus Christ, where we eternally rest full-time from our own works to save, and in Jesus' completed work which saved us.
Joyful observance of this holy time from evening to evening, sunset to sunset, is a celebration of God’s creative and redemptive acts. (Gen. 2:1-3; Exod. 20:8-11; 31:13-17; Lev. 23:32; Deut. 5:12-15; Isa. 56:5, 6; 58:13, 14; Ezek. 20:12, 20; Matt. 12:1-12; Mark 1:32; Luke 4:16; Heb. 4:1-11.)
#21 is one I saw and would like to make a comment about.
Stewardship, We are God’s stewards, entrusted by Him with time and opportunities, abilities and possessions, and the blessings of the earth and its resources. We are responsible to Him for their proper use. We acknowledge God’s ownership by faithful service to Him and our fellow human beings, and by returning tithe and giving offerings for the proclamation of His gospel and the support and growth of His church. Stewardship is a privilege given to us by God for nurture in love and the victory over selfishness and covetousness. Stewards rejoice in the blessings that come to others as a result of their faithfulness. (Gen. 1:26-28; 2:15; 1 Chron. 29:14; Haggai 1:3-11; Mal. 3:8-12; Matt. 23:23; Rom. 15:26, 27; 1 Cor. 9:9-14; 2 Cor. 8:1-15; 9:7.)

There is no such thing as Christian tithing. The old covenant tithing system only included those who raised crops and/or animals. the tent maker would not have been a tithe payer. Also, tithe was never paid in shekels. If you feel the desire to give ten percent I have no quell, but to tell us we will not receive our eternal reward unless we pay tithe is a complete falsehood. Yes, Ellen your revered prophet wrote that too.

You can tell me a thousand times some falsehood and if I know the real truth your telling me the falsehood won't make it become the truth.

What brought that up? No matter who it came from it doesn't make it relative to the new covenant. The only nation God ever required to observe a day was Israel. Israel ended at Calvary, but it took seventy more years to finally end it as a totalitarian nation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let's tease this out a little further by adding scripture context back into the discussion and let the scriptures define the meaning of the scriptures (exegesis).
Well, let's tease that out.
A symbol of our redemption in Christ. . .fulfilled in our entering into God's own full-time Sabbath rest in Christ's salvation, where we trust/rest full-time from our own works to save, and in Jesus' completed work which saved us (Hebrews 4:9-10).
The only definition of God's 4th commandment *Exodus 20:8-11 of the 10 commandment *Exodus 20:1-17 that gives us a knowledge of what sin is when broken *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4 is found in Exodus 20:10 where it is written [10], But THE SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD your God. There is no scripture in Hebrews 4 that says Jesus is a full time Sabbath. Your reading into the scriptures what the scriptures do not say and do not teach (eisegesis).

According to the scriptures Jesus is not a Sabbath. The Sabbath is the "seventh day" of the week *Exodus 20:10; which is a memorial of creation and a celebration of God as the creator of heaven and earth that God blessed and made as a holy day of rest for all mankind *Mark 2:27: Genesis 2:1-3 and Jesus is the creator and Lord of the 4th commandment seventh day Sabbath because he made it *John 1:1-4; 14; Mark 2:28.

The context your disregarding in Hebrews 4 shows also that the rest being discussed here as Gods rest/My rest/His rest in Hebrews 3:11; 18; Hebrews 4:1-5; Hebrews 4:10-11 is defined in the scriptures in Hebrews 4:3-4 as the "seventh day" Sabbath finished from the foundation of the world (Genesis 2:1-3). There are two rests being spoken of here. The rest that we receive through believing and following Gods' Word and Gods' rest of the seventh day Sabbath that we enter into as we believe and follow what Gods' Word days with Paul finishing up here in Hebrews 4:9 where he states (Aramaic) THEREFORE IT REMAINS (left behind) FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH. Hebrews 4:10-11 [10] For he that is entered into HIS REST (seventh day Sabbath - Hebrews 4:3-4), he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his. [11], Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

So as shown above the scriptures do not teach what your teaching here and we do not fulfill the Sabbath of God's 4th commandment that gives us the knowledge of what sin is when broken by breaking the Sabbath. According to the scriptures this is called sin and unbelief and hardening our heart in unbelief and known unrepentant sin is what we are warned against in Hebrews 3:8; 10; 12-13; 15; 17-19; Hebrews 4:1-2; 6-7; 11, because those who continue in unbelief and known unrepentant sin do not receive God's salvation according to Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-31.

More to come......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
A sign of our sanctification .applies to all Ten Commandments, which are fulfilled in Christ's two commandments (Matthew 22:37-41).
According to Jesus in Matthew 22:36-40 on these two great commandments of love to God and man hang all the law and the prophets *Matthew 22:40. Paul is in agreement with Jesus when he says that the second great commandment is simply summing up obedience to those commandments in Gods' 10 commandments that show us our duty of love to our fellow man *Romans 13:9. Therefore Romans 13:8-10 shows us that love is expressed in obedience to Gods' law not by breaking God's law.

James also is in agreement with Jesus and Paul when he says that is the show partiality in keeping anyone of God's 10 commandments over other commandments we stand guilty before God of breaking all the law. John is also in agreement with Jesus, Paul and James when he defines the love of God in the same manner by saying [2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. [3], For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous and again in 1 John 2:3-4 [3], And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.[4], He that said, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. Now based on the above scriptures the reason Jesus say that unless a man in born again he cannot enter into the kingdom of Heaven in John 3:3-7 because according to the scriptures, those who are born again do not practice sin (breaking God's Commandments) *1 John 3:4-9.

According to Jesus in Matthew 5:17-28 Jesus came to magnify the law and make in honorable in fulfillment of Isaiah 42:21. Matthew 5:20 is interesting because on the outside the Scribes and Pharisees as JESUS taught appeared righteous to men. Outwardly blameless in regards to following God's 10 commandments but inwardly they were like dead man bones *Matthew 23:27 full of sin (breaking God's LAW) *Matthew 23:27-28. JESUS says; For I say unto you, that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven *Matthew 5:20. The scripture in Isaiah 42:21 was posted to show that Jesus came to teach the true meaning of God's Law and that is it is to be applied to the inside out not for appearance to appear righteous to men but being inwardly full of sin and dead mans bones. God reads the heart and knows we are all sick with sin *Matthew 15:19-20; Matthew 12:34-35; Jeremiah 13:23; Jeremiah 17:9-10; Matthew 15:19-20; John 5:42 and in need of a Saviour from SIN. Many do not know the meaning here Matthew 9:12-13. This is leading to the new covenant promise of a new heart to love *Hebrews 8:10-12; John 5:42; 1 John 5:17-19; 1 John 4:16; 1 John 5:3; 1 John 4:8.

Without Jesus we do not have the love of God in us *John 5:42. We need to be born of God to love through the Spirit *1 John 4:7 and partake of the new covenant promise to abide in Christ *John 15:1-10; 1 John 3:6-9. This is why Jesus teaches in *John 3:3-7 that unless we are made clean from the inside out and born again to love we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. This is what Jesus is talking about in Matthew 5:20 when discussing the Scribes and the Pharisees teaching the application of God's law from the inside out. Whosoever is born of god to love in the new covenant *Hebrews 8:10-12 does not knowingly practice sin *1 John 3:9; Romans 13:8-10; James 2:8-12; Romans 3:31; Matthew 22:36-40. This is the good news of the gospels in the new covenant we have a Savior to save us from sin (not to continue practicing sin) but we have to be made new to walk in God's Spirit *Galatians 5:16; Romans 8:1-4.

It is true we we can appear righteous to men on the outside but on the inside be full of sin and dead mans bones which is why Jesus says truly I say unto you unless we are born again to love we cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven *John 3:3-7 because those who are born again to love do not practice sin *1 John 3:6-9; 1 John 2:3-4; 1 John 5:2-3. According to John sin is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil in 1 John 3:9-10; Revelation 12:17: Revelation 14:12; Revelation 22:14 and 1 John 2:3-4. According to the scriptures Gods' Sabbath is an eternal sign of sanctification as shown in Exodus 31:13-17 because it teaches us that creation is through faith in Gods' Word that creates all things new but according to the scriptures many have forgotten this *Exodus 20:8 and instead stand guilty before God of sin *1 John 3:4.

Takes Care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's tease this out a little further by adding scripture context back into the discussion and let the scriptures define the meaning of the scriptures.

The only definition of God's 4th commandment *Exodus 20:8-11 of the 10 commandment *Exodus 20:1-17 that gives us a knowledge of what sin is when broken *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4 is found in Exodus 20:10 where it is written [10], But
THE SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD your God. There is no scripture in Hebrews 4 that says Jesus is a full time Sabbath.
According to Jesus in Matthew 22:36-40 on these two great commandments of love to God and man hang all the law and the prophets *Matthew 22:40.
Red herring. . .

And there is no Scripture in the whole Bible that says God is Triune.

Hebrews 3:7-4:13 teaches there is a Sabbath rest for the people of God, God's own (Hebrews 4:10) full-time (Hebrews 4:1-3) Sabbath rest in faith in Jesus Christ (Hebrews 3:12-14), which faith is salvation.

Jesus fulfilled the Law (Matthew 5:17), including the law of the Sabbath, which he fulfills in his salvation rest from our own work to save ourselves, and rest in his work which saved us.

That is the teaching of Hebrews 3:7-4:13 for those whose demoninational doctrine does not deny it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Red herring. . .
Let's talk scripture detail please and not make things up with unproven accusations. What is it exactly in the scriptures provided that disagree with your teachings from post # 249 linked and post # 250 linked that you claim is a "red herring" that you disagree with? Lets discuss the scripture details.
And there is no Scripture that says God is Triune.
So this response of yours is responding to the scripture definition of God's creation Sabbath which is defined as being the "seventh day" of the week from Exodus 20:10; Genesis 2:1-3 and that there is no scripture in Hebrews 4 that says Jesus is a full time Sabbath. What here have to do with what you are responding to from the scriptures? - Nothing.
Hebrews 3:7-4:13 teaches there is a Sabbath rest for the people of God, God's own (Hebrews 4:10) full-time (Hebrews 4:1-3) Sabbath rest in faith in Jesus Christ (Hebrews 3:12-14), which faith is salvation.
There is nowhere in any of the scriptures you have provided here that says Jesus is a full time Sabbath and there is nothing in the scriptures you have quoted here that support anything you are saying. Can you show me in any of those scriptures where it says Jesus is a full time Sabbath? Your reading into the scriptures what the scriptures do not say and do not teach by disregarding scriptures context (eisegesis). A detailed scripture rebuttal of your claims here is provided in post # 249 linked that you have simply chosen to ignore and refuse to discuss. Anyhow of course you do not have to if you do not want to. The scriptures in the linked post that prove your claims are not true have only been provided as a help for you. What you choose to do with them I will leave between you and God as they are Gods' Words not mine in disagreement with your words that are not Gods.
Jesus fulfilled the Law (Matthew 5:17), including the law of the Sabbath, which he fulfills in his salvation rest from our own work to save ourselves, and rest in his work which saved us.
Already addressed with a detailed scripture rebuttal and non responsive to post # 250 linked. Jesus did not fulfill the law so that we are now free to break the law. This is called unbelief and sin which we are warned about in Hebrews 3; Hebrews 4; Hebrews 10:26-31.
That is the teaching of Hebrews 3:7-4:13 for those whose demoninational doctrine does not deny it.
Already addressed with a detailed scripture rebuttal and non responsive to post # 249 linked. This section of your post is the true "red herring" as you were not provided a denominational response. You were provided scripture showing context and scripture interpreting scripture that disagrees with your teachings and the context you left out of your teachings, proving that your claims here are not supported in scripture.

Take Care

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's talk scripture detail please and not make things up with unproven accusations. What is it exactly in the scriptures provided that disagree with your teachings from post # 249 linked and post # 250 linked that you claim is a "red herring" that you disagree with? Lets discuss the scripture details.

So this response of yours is responding to the scripture definition of God's creation Sabbath which is defined as being the "seventh day" of the week from Exodus 20:10; Genesis 2:1-3 and that there is no scripture in Hebrews 4 that says Jesus is a full time Sabbath. What here have to do with what you are responding to from the scriptures? - Nothing.
There is nowhere in any of the scriptures you have provided here that says Jesus is a full time Sabbath and there is nothing in the scriptures you have quoted here that support anything you are saying. Can you show me in any of those scriptures where it says Jesus is a full time Sabbath?
Hebrews 4:1-4:
"The promise of entering his rest still stands. . .we who have believed enter that rest. . .His work has been finished since the creation of the world,"
i.e., God's Sabbath rest is full-time.

The OT Sabbath was made for mankind's rest (Deuteronomy 5:14; Exodus 34:21).

And there remains a NT fulfillment of that Sabbath-rest in the salvation rest of Jesus Christ (Hebrews 4:9).

The NT Sabbath-rest is God's
own (Hebrews 3:11, 4:3) full-time (Hebrews 4:4) Sabbath-rest--not a one-day-a-week rest--for the NT people of God, in Christ's salvation where we (spiritually) "also rest from our own work" (Hebrews 4:10).

In the following, the writer addresses Hebrew Christian converts, urging them to enter God's Sabbath-rest.

Hebrews 4:
8: For if Joshua had given them rest (in Canaan) God would not have spoken later about another day, "Today" (Psalms 95:7).
9: There
remains then a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;
10: for anyone who enters
God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.
11: Let us therefore make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of obedience.

So the writer is urging the
Hebrew Christian converts to enter God's own Sabbath-rest.

Now why would
Hebrews need to be urged to keep the Sabbath?
They wouldn't if you're talking about physical rest.

And what
effort does it take to enter rest?
It doesn't, if you're talking about physical rest.

From what
do you fall if you fail to enter rest?
Nothing, if you're talking about physical rest.

Hebrews 4:8-11 is not talking about the physical Saturday Sabbath.
It is talking about the fulfillment of the OT physical Saturday Sabbath-rest in the NT spiritual full-time Sabbath-rest, in the salvation of Jesus Christ where we spritually rest full-time from our work to save.

Hebrews presents Jesus as the NT fulfillment of God's own full-time Sabbath-rest for his people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sorry your denomination does not agree.
You were only provided God's Word from post # 249 linked and post # 250 linked from my own prayerful bible study that disagrees with your words that are not God's Word. Let's all pray we do not harden our hearts to hearing, seeing and believing Gods' Word according to the warnings given in Hebrews 3:8; 10; 12-13; 15; 17-19; Hebrews 4:1-2; 6-7; 11, because those who harden their hearts and continue in unbelief and known unrepentant sin do not receive God's salvation according to Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-31.

WHAT IS GOD’S REST IN HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4? (exegesis)

HEBREWS 4:1-11
[1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3], For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
[4], For he spoke in a certain place of the SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And God did rest the SEVENTH DAY from all his works.
5, And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

KEY POINTS FROM THE SCRIPTURES OF HEBREWS 4:1-5 (exegesis)

NOTE: Context in Hebrews 4:1-5 is God's Rest from the seventh day Sabbath from the foundation of the world (v4-5) and those who enter Gods rest by and believing and following Gods Word [the gospel] who enter into God's Sabbath rest as God did on the seventh day of the week. The context here defining God’s rest/My rest/His rest is to God’s seventh day Sabbath rest created at the foundation of the world that those who believe or do not believe God's WORD do or do not enter into. The new testament writer of Hebrews is warning us that if we do not believe and follow God's Word (the gospel) and continue in sin and unbelief (Hebrews 3:10-13; 18-19) we will never enter into God's rest (His Rest/My Rest) which is defined as the "seventh day" Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:1-5. There are two rests here. One is to the rest we enter into by believing and following Gods Word which is our rest and the rest we enter into by believing and following God’s Word to God’s rest which is the seventh day Sabbath. Hebrews 4:3-5 defines God's rest by saying [3], For we which have believed do enter into rest (our rest from or the gospel rest of believing and following God's Word), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest (God's rest): although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4], For he spoke in a certain place of the "seventh day" on this wise, And God did rest the "seventh day" from all his works. [5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest ("seventh day").

[6], Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
[7], Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
[8], For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
[9] SO THEN, IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.
[10], For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his. [11], Let us labor therefore to enter that rest, [God’s REST the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH] lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief [rejecting God’s WORD and sin; Hebrews 3].

KEY POINTS OF HEBREWS 4:9 (exegesis)

Now notice Hebrews 4, verse 9: “SO THEN, IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.” In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismo means “a keeping of the Sabbath.” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.”

According to the Greek and scripture contexts of Hebrews 3:7-19 and Hebrews 4:1-9, Hebrews 4:9 is in regards to God’s seventh day Sabbath of the 4th commandment which in the context of Hebrews 4:1-5 which defines God’s rest/My rest/His rest (Hebrews 3:11; 18-19; Hebrews 4:1; 3; 5; 10) as the “seventh day” from the foundation of the world *Hebrews 4:3-4.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Hebrews 4:9 So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

Lamsa Bible
Hebrews 4:9 It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

For your interest, the Greek word used here for Sabbath is Sabbatismos and means a Sabbath keeping or keeping of the Sabbath or how the Sabbath is kept by resting.

Hebrews 4, verse 9: “So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.” or in other translations "There remains therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God". In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismo means “a keeping of the Sabbath.” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.”

GREEK INTERLINEAR
HEBREWS 4:9 άρα (Then) απολείπεται (there is left) σαββατισμός (a Sabbath keeping) τω (to the) λαώ (people) του θεού (of God)

GREEK LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT, Abbott-Smith - G4520
*† σαββατισμός, - οῦ, ὁ
(< σαββατίζω, to keep the sabbath, Exod 16:30, al.),
a keeping sabbath, a sabbath rest: metaph., as in Mishna (Zorell, s.v.), Heb 4:9.†

LIDDEL/SCOTT/JONES GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON - G4520
σαββατισμός
Σαββᾰτ-ισμός, ὁ, a keeping of days of rest, Ep. Heb 4:9, cf. Plu. 2.166a (codd., βαπτισμούς Bentley).

STRONGS LEXICON
So ἄρα (ara) Conjunction Strong's Greek 686: Then, therefore, since. Probably from airo; a particle denoting an inference more or less decisive.
there remains ἀπολείπεται (apoleipetai) Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular Strong's Greek 620: From apo and leipo; to leave behind; by implication, to forsake. a Sabbath rest σαββατισμὸς (sabbatismos) Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 4520: A keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest. From a derivative of sabbaton; a 'sabbatism', i.e. the repose of Christianity. for the τῷ () Article - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the. people λαῷ (laō) Noun - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2992: Apparently a primary word; a people.
of God. Θεοῦ (Theou) Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

STRONGS CONCORDENCE
sabbatismos: a sabbath rest Definition: a sabbath rest Usage (DOING): a keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest.

GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT. THAYER - G4520
G4520 — σαββατισμός
σαββατισμου, ὁ (σαββατίζω to keep the sabbath);

W. E. VINE, GREEK DICTIONARY

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. (Note the rest of Vines comments is not the Greek it is his opinion)

HEBREWS 4:9 [9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

…………..

Hebrews 3:7-19 to Hebrews 4:1-11 is warning us that if we do not believe and follow God's Word (the gospel) and we continue in sin and unbelief (Hebrews 3:10-13; 18-19) we will never enter into God's rest (His Rest/My Rest) which is defined as the "seventh day" Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:1-5. Hebrews 4:3-5 defines God's rest by saying [3], For we which have believed do enter into rest (our rest from or the gospel rest of believing and following God's Word), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest (God's rest): although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4], For he spoke in a certain place of the "seventh day" on this wise, And God did rest the "seventh day" from all his works. [5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest ("seventh day"). There are two rests being described. One is our rest we receive through believing and following God's Word (the gospel) *Matthew 11:28-30; Hebrews 4:2-3 and God's rest *Hebrews 3:11; 18; Hebrews 4:1; 3; 5-6; 8-9; 10-11. Hebrews 4:9 THEREFORE IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH. Why? Because the true seventh day Sabbath rest is a sign of God's true people who God sanctifies to keep all the commandments of God through faith in God's Word *Exodus 31:13; Exodus 31:17; Ezekiel 20:12; Ezekiel 20:20; Revelation 12:17; Revelation 22:14.

There is nothing you have posted anywhere here that Jesus is a Sabbath and there is no scripture that supports this teaching. As shown above in the context your disregarding here Gods' rest/My rest/ His rest is defined in Hebrews 4:2-4 as God's seventh day Sabbath created from the foundation of the world that we who believe enter into as we believe and follow what Gods' Word says which is why it is concluded in Hebrews 4:9 THEREFORE IT REMAINS (left behind) FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH (Aramaic).

SUMMARY: God's rest is the "seventh day Sabbath" of creation. Our rest is that of believing and following Gods' Word. No one enters into God's rest (defined in Hebrews as the "seventh day Sabbath") unless they believe and follow Gods' Word (the gospel rest). Of course God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) are a part of God's Word (the gospel) that God's people who enter into Gods rest believe and follow in Gods' Word just like Jesus did and the Apostles and prophets in Gods' Word. Everything provided here are not my words but have been taken directly from the scriptures which are God's Words not mine (exegesis). The warnings here are very clear. Those who do not believe and follow God's Word in order to continue in a life of known unrepentant sin (breaking anyone of God's commandments - James 2:10-11) just like those in the wilderness do not enter into Gods' rest (seventh day Sabbath) and will be in danger of the judgement to come (Hebrews 10:26-31)

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am glad to hear you don’t think it’s okay to break the letter of the commandments, you had me scared for a moment.
Well, that's not what I was saying.

I think we are to keep the meaning, principle, or spirit of God's laws.

I don't think we are to keep the laws by the letter. If we keep one by the letter, we must keep them all by the letter. Otherwise, we go off-target, imo.

That's what I was getting at by discussing that one law in detail recently. We don't keep it by the letter, we don't keep it "very literally".

We can discuss other laws like that, if you wish.

God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's not what I was saying.

I think we are to keep the meaning, principle, or spirit of God's laws.

I don't think we are to keep the laws by the letter. If we keep one by the letter, we must keep them all by the letter. Otherwise, we go off-target, imo.

That's what I was getting at by discussing that one law in detail recently. We don't keep it by the letter, we don't keep it "very literally".

We can discuss other laws like that, if you wish.

God bless you.
I'm having a hard time keeping up with what your saying if I am being honest.

It's impossible to keep the Spirit of the law by breaking the letter. We will have to agree to disagree. God bless

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm having a hard time keeping up with what your saying if I am being honest.

It's impossible to keep the Spirit of the law by breaking the letter. We will have to agree to disagree. God bless
I don't think we have to agree to disagree.

I think what I am saying about the principles of the law and the letter of the law will become more clear if we continue to talk about laws in addition to the ten commandments.

But we can stop talking if you wish.

God bless you!

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems like we are veering away from the topic. Did Jesus do what He claimed He came to do? We know by His coming He fulfilled the prophecies that predicted His coming. He accomplished that part of what He came to do and brought those prophecies to an end. I think we can all agree with that. Now how about the Law, did Jesus keep His word and bring the laws of the old covenant to an end? If He did does that make mankind lawless like some accuse others of being? I have no reason to believe Jesus didn't do all He came to do. Eph 2: 14 "For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace," and Gal 3: 19 "Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come." We can also glean much from Gal 4:21 "Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise."

24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written:

“Be glad, barren woman,
you who never bore a child;
shout for joy and cry aloud,
you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman
than of her who has a husband.”

28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30 But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.” 31 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.
We are children of the free woman initiated by Jesus at Calvary. We are blessed to be the recipients of the new covenant of Love and Grace, not the old one of Law.

Yes, Jesus did indeed bring the laws of the old covenant to an end just like He said He would.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems like we are veering away from the topic. Did Jesus do what He claimed He came to do? We know by His coming He fulfilled the prophecies that predicted His coming. He accomplished that part of what He came to do and brought those prophecies to an end. I think we can all agree with that. Now how about the Law, did Jesus keep His word and bring the laws of the old covenant to an end? If He did does that make mankind lawless like some accuse others of being? I have no reason to believe Jesus didn't do all He came to do. Eph 2: 14 "For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace," and Gal 3: 19 "Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come." We can also glean much from Gal 4:21 "Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise."

24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written:

“Be glad, barren woman,
you who never bore a child;
shout for joy and cry aloud,
you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman
than of her who has a husband.”

28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30 But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.” 31 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.
We are children of the free woman initiated by Jesus at Calvary. We are blessed to be the recipients of the new covenant of Love and Grace, not the old one of Law.

Yes, Jesus did indeed bring the laws of the old covenant to an end just like He said He would.
I think this part from Galatians 4:21 is interesting, "Tell me, you who want to be under the law..."

Jesus fulfilled the law and the prophets. Why do people sometimes want to go back to be under the law? Just a natural human tendency, I guess.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this part from Galatians 4:21 is interesting, "Tell me, you who want to be under the law..."

Jesus fulfilled the law and the prophets. Why do people sometimes want to go back to be under the law? Just a natural human tendency, I guess.
I agree, we are under so many laws that come from our governments that it is foreign to our thinking that God doesn't have a bunch of laws that we have to deal with too.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0