Jeremiah and Ezekiel got something wrong?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 46 is about judgement on Egypt. In Jeremiah 46:13, the prophet states this prophecy will be specifically fulfilled through Nebuchadnezzar.

Jeremiah 46:19, "Pack your bags for exile, O daughter dwelling in Egypt. For Memphis will be laid waste, destroyed and uninhabited."

Problem here is Nebuchadnezzar never conquered Egypt, he attacked it in 601BC, but failed.

Now Jeremiah is not the only one to get it wrong, IT SEEMS.

Ezekiel also prophecies that Egypt will fall and lay desolate for 40 years (Ezekiel 29:8-16) but to my knowledge, Egypt was never in such a state. Even during periods where they were under foreign rule (Persians, Assyrians, Romans) the cities were populated and it wasn't "desolate" (Ezekiel 29:10).

Also in Ezekiel, the prophet prophecies against the city of Tyre (Ezekiel 26-28), that Babylon will conquer it and destroy it. Nebuchadnezzar failed in this as well. Now on this point I will concede there may likely be more than a literal interpretation involved. In Ezekiel 28, the "ruler of Tyre" is famously compared to Lucifer. So perhaps Tyre in this sense is not the literal Tyre, but something else. I do not know, but Tyre the actual city was not conquered by Nebuchadnezzar. It's kind of interesting actually. In Ezekiel 29:17-21, there is apparently a correction made on the Tyre prophecy where the Lord has decided to give Egypt to Nebuchadnezzar in place of Tyre. But like with Jeremiah's prophecy and Ezekiel's also, that wasn't accomplished.

Just wondering if anyone has any explanations for these? Maybe I'm missing something. I don't know.