Jehovah's Witnesses - Is anything wrong with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What I'm about to say is just a news note. It used to be that JWs came to my door and tried to argue scripture using their own translation. They (politely) called whatever the Christian church of the homeowner might happen to be a false church and tool of Satan. They made it look as though they were a family unit of man, woman, and child, although it turned out that that that was just for appearances. And they tried to insist that they were "Bible students" rather than representatives of any church or religious organization.

More recently, several women came to my door. They readily admitted to being JWs and, although they wanted to make some points about scripture, they brought forth a copy of the KJV in order to do that. Because I said that I did have a church affiliation of my own, they called that commendable. It appears to me that the near-universal objection of most people to the older JW tactics has caused them to be junked in favor of presenting a newer, softer face.

Although I wouldn't want to have them or any other religious group knocking on the door very often, I can't say that I was offended by these two representatives of the Jehovah's Witnesses who, by the way, wrapped up their presentation pretty quickly and left when it turned out that I was not unchurched or uncertain of my own beliefs.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say that they have a few features that are extremist, such as they are encouraged to have relationships only with fellow witnesses. In other words, there is a high level of control.

I had a JW friend, and I remember how she was shunned for being friends with me and some others, and how it ultimately led to her leaving that church. It was like you could be completely in to an extreme, or completely out, but nothing in between.
This reminds me of a friend telling me the freemasons harrass mason members for leaving. I could have heard something extreme like killing a person. What do the JW do to ex-members?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of course nothing is done to ex-Masons, and I doubt that anything is done by the JWs to ex-members. I suppose that ex-JWs are considered by their former church to have fallen into the clutches of Satan, but I know several such people myself and none of them has ever mentioned being pursued in any way.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
This reminds me of a friend telling me the freemasons harrass mason members for leaving. I could have heard something extreme like killing a person. What do the JW do to ex-members?
They shun them, even if they are family members.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,455.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They shun them, even if they are family members.
Here in Oz there was a man who left the JW's and as a result lost all his business and went bankrupt, since the majority of his clients were fellow JW's. They refused to have anything to do with him

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Here in Oz there was a man who left the JW's and as a result lost all his business and went bankrupt, since the majority of his clients were fellow JW's. They refused to have anything to do with him
How awful!

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It isn't our responsibility to judge anyone's eternal destiny on an individual basis. That is tantamount to hubris. We are told to leave such matters totally in God's hands and to concern ourselves to preaching the Gospel instead.

Mark 16:15
And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

John 5:22
Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son

BTW
Some Jehovah's Witnesses have the same tendency-to judge people on an individual basis as either sheep or goats-something they are not authorized to do.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are the doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses? Is anything wrong with their beliefs? Please I need your information

Hey.. when I was young there were these two wonderful people that lived right behind us. Always growing there own food. They keep telling my dad (step dad) about the world being created in 6000y. My dad loved to show them a rock pig skull. Where it said it was over 6million years old. Something like that. They would go at it.

Since we have the Internet. Search on them. Find out what they believe. So many groups do and say things that are not written. If what anyone believes goes inline is written in the word. If anyone says Jesus came in the flesh born by the virgin Mary. Died on the Cross for the worlds sins. Was buried Rose the 3rd day and is the only way to heaven.. they are form Him.

Yet.. do they ADD to the word? Some groups have other bibles saying that is of GOD. Is it? What I personally think and know is wise to ask but YOU need to search this out. See this GOD is real. JESUS is real. Now for ME my best example is from two grandparents that prayed 4+hours a day and had more power of GOD then I have ever seen. You had a need? She would go right to the bible find the verse remind GOD what He said...and then pray and IT GOT answered..always! Why?

They would always tell us "if we say anything that is not written do not believe us". Never spoke evil negative of anyone. Asked about a person some here know. She said "I listen to him but dont agree on everything he says". That was it. You ALWAYS wanted to be around them with them. Not them.. you always seen JESUS! And also learned then.. you could never thank her. It was NO..you thank JESUS. She didnt do it. She had no power. Everything was because of JESUS.

So this is what I have done. I take Him at HIS word and I believe. I have seen so many WOW moments in my life. Because I take HIM at HIS word. Others doubt.. the bible is true just written by man. Or they have added to the word. Or have there own book. On and on. When I believe HIM and what He said in this bible it always happens. He has never failed me. I simply believe. I keep my eyes on JESUS. He is the only way..no other. The holy spirit.. asked for it.. gave to me just like Jesus said. MAN tells me things all the time.

So when I dont understand..when what they say..sounds true? I look to HIM. One to see is its written. If not I just toss it out. I pray.. 24/7 and in the spirit. I love all forgive all. Its not MY TRUTH. I am not true. He is

I say ALL this to say.. You and I need to look search for our selfs. If I follow one group and thats ok..but all I well ever get and see is just what they see. I then will have to answer to GOD for NOT trying to seek Him..to work out my own salvation.

Find out on your own what they believe. Look up each one. Make sure its written. And look back over time. Some groups have changed what they said MANY TIMES. And you would be shocked at how many that follow these groups never new about it.

IF I am PERSONALLY asked.. I will always share the truth. The 12/120.. two of them were in this city were they had FALSE gods all over the place. The people came against them. What got me about this was what happen. What the two didnt say. Even before this where nothing was said about the false gods. But came to tell them about the UNKNOWN god.

So this man stands up in the crowd. Telling everyone.. a these two have been here and not once did they say anything about your gods in any bad way. DO you see? we dont do that. We make SURE you know I am RIGHT your wrong! NO? :)

Jesus is real. Talk to HIM..ask HIM. Believe He hears you. Ask HIM if you doubt things about others to have HIM show you where its written. The WORD is our anchor.

So what does the word say about who we can know who is of GOD? And.. then does man ADD to that verse? So forth so on. Jesus is real..REALLY REALLY REALLY Real. And yes.. saying it 3 times helps haha

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As long as you teach what Jesus actually teaches,

What did Jesus actually teach?

Is it what is found in the Gospel of Philip, the Apocryphon of John? In the four canonical Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John?

If these questions don't matter, then "what Jesus actually teaches" doesn't matter either.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Of course nothing is done to ex-Masons, and I doubt that anything is done by the JWs to ex-members. I suppose that ex-JWs are considered by their former church to have fallen into the clutches of Satan, but I know several such people myself and none of them has ever mentioned being pursued in any way.

They are officially disfellowshipped which means that they must be TOTALLY shunned by other JWs who had been former spiritual brothers and friends and family members.

Please use your imagination to visualize all that can mean.
Does that qualify as having something done or as being pursued?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They are officially disfellowshipped which means that they must be TOTALLY shunned by other JWs who had been former spiritual brothers and friends and family members.

Please use your imagination to visualize all that can mean.
Does that qualify as having something done or as being pursued?
No. I, in fact, allowed in my post that ex-JWs would be scorned but nothing like what I was responding to in that post. Here is part of what I read-

I could have heard something extreme like killing a person.

So, no.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is everything wrong with JW. They deny the truth of the Bible and deny Jesus is God and believe that Jesus is a created being. That alone makes them completely in the wrong.

That is a crass misrepresentation of what they believe.

BTW
If one is very keen to disqualify others as Christian based on imagined violations of some supposedly essential principle but extremely lax when it comes to other facets of Christianity in relation to other denominations, denominations which literally drag Jesus through the mud and expose him to public shame via their Satanically-approved behavior, then unfortunately, one rightfully runs the risk of being suspected of being extremely biased.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ETA: Also- as a nurse- I've seen a few Jehovah's Witnesses that have not been able to have surgeries and must live in pain because they refuse to have blood transfusions. Surgeons won't risk it. If your hemoglobin is low and you're a Jehovah's Witness, then good luck.
I recently read the story about a boy in his teens who was raised by a JW relative. He got leukemia and refused transfusions. The court ruled that he could make that choice, and he died. When A 14-Year-Old Chooses To Die Because Of Religion, Can Anyone Stop Him?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,908.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No. I, in fact, allowed in my post that ex-JWs would be scorned but nothing like what I was responding to in that post. Here is part of what I read-

So, no.

I had a distant cousin who became entangled with the JW's. When he finally freed himself from their snare they not only completely shunned him, but would leave bottles of booze on his doorstep to prove to everyone concerned that he was a complete alcholic and a reprobate. They did everything in their power to destroy him.

• Agree
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0