Jehovah's Witnesses - Is anything wrong with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From personal experience, it is awkward trying to invite your friend to your birthday party and them saying they were not allowed to do birthdays. Maybe she was fine with it all, but maybe deep down she was depressed? Actually, recently now as an adult, I saw she admitted having depression on her social media...oh, what a coincidence?

My friend had explained to me they weren't allowed to celebrate birthdays because it's too much about materialism, but also about celebrating self or something like that.

Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
One serious Problem with them, as others have stated, is their incorrect view of the nature of God.

In order to be a true worshipper, you must worship with the correct view of God and his attributes. Otherwise you are at best, worshipping a fake God of your own invention, and at worst blaspheming the true God. You can call your fake God Jesus, just like I can create a fake account. But you are not defined by your name, you are defined by your attributes. And if I start praising you for things (or condemning you) for things that are not you... you are going to, at best, ignore them, and at worst, be seriously offended.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Their theology is unusual in several important respects. The JW view of God was condemned by the mainline church as heretical early in church history. Their history of setting specific dates for the end of the world which didn't come to pass, and some other policies and practices has caused many Christians to think that the Jehovah's Witnesses are in a league of their own. Generally speaking, though, the word "extremists" isn't used in religious discussions, perhaps because it most often is used for political ideas and groups.

Upvote 0

Jeepneytravel

Feb 11, 2017
Asia Pacific
✟33,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are Arian, which means they dent that Jesus Christ is God incarnate. They are a cult, run on Scientology-like pronciples of control; if a former JW leaves they are shunned by their family. Their beliefs include a rejection of blood transfusions, which causes many to die needlessly (for this reason I believe they should be shut down).

The Watchtower Organization, which runs the JW cult, employs a large number of well paid individuals to publish their tracts, but as for the ordinary members, studies show they are the poorest denomination on a per capita basis and also the most socially marginalized, due to the manner in which the cult preys upon vulnerable people and then keeps such persons dependent on it.

The JWs publish their own Bible "translation" intentionally modified to support their Arian theology (John 1:1 was tampered with in a manner entirely unsupported by ancient manuscripts).

JWs are classified as non-Christian on CF.com

Sounds like Roman Catholic also

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Their theology is unusual in several important respects. The JW view of God was condemned by the mainline church as heretical early in church history. Their history of setting specific dates for the end of the world which didn't come to pass, and some other policies and practices has caused many Christians to think that the Jehovah's Witnesses are in a league of their own. Generally speaking, though, the word "extremists" isn't used in religious discussions, perhaps because it most often is used for political ideas and groups.

What dates did the JW's set? I never heard that of them. Unless they are an offshoot of the Millerites.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What dates did the JW's set? I never heard that of them. Unless they are an offshoot of the Millerites.
Most famously, 1914. There have been several others set since then. The explanation about 1914 became that World War I started then, so that was the end of the world as we'd known it and that this was when the literal end started to end, and it would wrap up when the last *member* of the generation that was alive in 1914 is still living. That would seem to have to be soon! Yes, it's thought that Adventism did have a strong influence on the founder of the JWs although the society is not an actual "offshoot."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Like the most of mainstream "christianity" JW's do not follow God's Holy Sabbath day, but instead follow the pagan Babylonian/Roman system of sunday, the first day of the week dedicated to the sungod...

So, is the sole criterion for you whether or not somebody goes to a church of your own denomination on Saturday?

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Why are they extremists?
I would say that they have a few features that are extremist, such as they are encouraged to have relationships only with fellow witnesses. In other words, there is a high level of control.

I had a JW friend, and I remember how she was shunned for being friends with me and some others, and how it ultimately led to her leaving that church. It was like you could be completely in to an extreme, or completely out, but nothing in between.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeepneytravel

Feb 11, 2017
Asia Pacific
✟33,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, is the sole criterion for you whether or not somebody goes to a church of your own denomination on Saturday?[/QUO

Denominations are the work of satan, a divide and conquer mechanism.....follow the Bible and the words therein and never mind the "doctrines of man" of organized religions...they are all the same.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,113.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Denominations are the work of satan, a divide and conquer mechanism.....follow the Bible and the words therein and never mind the "doctrines of man" of organized religions...they are all the same.
What you describe is simply creating denominations of 1 member each.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most famously, 1914. There have been several others set since then. The explanation about 1914 became that World War I started then, so that was the end of the world as we'd known it and that this was when the literal end started to end, and it would wrap up when the last *member* of the generation that was alive in 1914 is still living. That would seem to have to be soon! Yes, it's thought that Adventism did have a strong influence on the founder of the JWs although the society is not an actual "offshoot."
Don't forget about the 1929 foretold retirn of the 'princes of fath' for whom the mansion beth sharim was purchased!
or the much heralded end of the world, which I'm sorry to say you missed in 1975!

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They ignore the NO TRESPASSING signs at the entrance to my lane, ring my doorbell at 8am on Saturday, they don't leave immediately whend I ask them to and want to argue scripture with me after all of that.

About as welcome at my house as CAPITAL MEATS.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
They ignore the NO TRESPASSING signs at the entrance to my lane, ring my doorbell at 8am on Saturday, they don't leave immediately whend I ask them to and want to argue scripture with me after all of that.

About as welcome at my house as CAPITAL MEATS.

Interesting. When they do come to my door they tend to quickly turn tail and exit as quickly as possible. What is my solution, you ask? It is amazingly simple. I ask them to have a Bible study with me. I explain that I want to study the Bible only and not their "study guides". In particular I ask to study the Gospel of John. I never hear anything further from them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.