J_B_ and loveofourlord discussion

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Cells from different parts of the chimera would be genetically distinct. There's an interesting story about how a mother was once indicted for welfare fraud, since her supposed kids were genetically distinct from her. But her doctor confirmed they were born to her. Turns out, she was a chimera, and her ovaries (among other things) were genetically different than other parts of her body.

And while (as knowledgeable YE creationists admit) that the large number of fossil transitionals is "very good evidence for macroevolutionary theory", even more convincing is that we never find any transitionals that shouldn't exist, according to the theory.

Thanks for this. I misunderstood how chimera is used in biology. I just looked it up. I'll need to modify my reply, as I now realize it's not saying what I meant it to say.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Population genetics and information theory are so mathematical that the accusation is kinda understandable for some fields of biology. However, mathematical analysis is a very useful and common process in science; biology is no different. There is, for example, mathematical chemistry.

Scientific modeling might be an interesting topic for a thread.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am happy with how well this discussion has gone so far, so I don't have any problems with what you've chosen to discuss or how you've approached it.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Sorry for my sloppy use of terms. I'm not trying to trap biology into something it hasn't claimed. Further, I'm not a biologist, so I'm open to clarifications and corrections if I misunderstand the situation.

It actually is a problem if the argument for LUCA includes fossils. At this point I suppose I should mention Elliott Sober and his book Philosophy of Biology. Sober is a strong supporter of evolution, which means I don't completely agree with him. Despite that, I really enjoy his writing. I admire the way he handles creation, even though he eventually dismisses it. I also admire that he is willing to criticize biology in ways that are rare - something I've seen only a few do. One of his criticisms is that, at times, biologists have gotten sloppy with their data, using the excuse, "This is true because - evolution." Another criticism I found very interesting comes from Ana Soto that biologists are no longer biologists. They're just statisticians (my paraphrase). None of these people are attacking evolution, but some of what they say does reflect on the way LUCA is inferred.

[EDIT] Maybe I read you wrong, but you seem to be taking the inferences that organisms are connected through inheritance as given - that since changes in allele frequency are true, then it follows that inheritance must be true. I don't accept that. Let me put it this way. If you believe no organisms remain today from parallel biogenesis events, then I take that to mean you would know how to identify one if you saw it. So, describe to me how organisms coming from distinct biogenesis events would be identified in a scientifically rigorous manner.

All of what you have said is possible. But possible is not proof. It's just supposition. Unless it can be established that origin events were only millions of years apart (or probabilities can be affixed to them) - unless it can be established that events happening closer together is highly unlikely - this is all supposition.

In answering this, I'll first say that I'm not really interested in biology per se. Never have been. I took a biology class in high school and hated it. As such, my only interest in this topic is cases where theories from the field of biology intersect with my theology. Dinosaurs and birds, mammals and whales, those have no bearing on my theology so I don't spend any time on them.

I will say the most convincing argument I've seen for related species is ERVs. So, if those two examples don't involve ERVs, I'd not feel any compulsion to accept them. We'd also have to discuss the whole concept of species to be sure we're clear on it. Even then, it's not like I haven't considered an answer to ERVs, but that answer would again go back to the issue of parallel origins.

I once asked a biologist why biology is so stubbornly set on LUCA given it's willingness to admit multiple origins is very possible (even if they think they didn't survive). He gave me an answer about its affect on current research - even current medical research. However, given that similarity obviously exists whether or not LUCA is true, I didn't find the answer very compelling.
no worries I didn't think you were, I thought at worst you might not know it :> Just wanted to clarify to avoid us talking past each other.

hmmm can't comment on the slopiness, as mentioned before there certainly has been with some things wolf packs, komdo dragon venom and such where someone got an idea and wasn't tested. But I think where science is good is where and when it tests and retests things. Definetly needs to do that more, especialy the older the ideas the more they need to be rechecked.

Sorry if I get you wrong here :> but on the similarities, there are things we can check. Again it's not just where they are similar it's where they are different, and such. Take squid and humans. We can narrow down when our lines diverged by the comperisons of both the fossil record and DNA and such. What genes we share, wich ones we don't. They some of the basic genes for certain things that all multicelular animals do, and I would assume many of those are ones tied to being multicellular, wich would put least them splitting off after multicellular life appeared. If all multicellular animals have similar genes and such that would imply it also.

Again you could use the, "Same designer same design argument." but when something is nearly 1-1.1 comparison it falls down because you will see that while one structure is analogous to another one they arn't the same. Again back to squid and humans, they use some of the same genes, but the paths are different and results are different.

another one is snake venom and platypus venom, they have similar results and effects, but the liniege is different, if I remember right platypus venom evolved from immune system, where as snake is more circulitory and such. So where species arn't closly related from way back when Linnaeus first put it together, with some tweaks like I mentioned where species look related, but are distantly. but we don't find feathers on crocodiles, we don't find other similar chimera or least true ones. The mammals that lay egs are the ones closest to reptiles and such and on, and on.

Problem with ERV's is they only last a short time, they are useful for telling closly related, like they help us with humans and other apes, but once you get back toawards monkeys they start to break down. The issue is since ERV's generally arn't coding, there is no reason for them to be preserved, so the base pairs might change on their own, another ERV might take their place, you get a sequence flip, gene duplication in it's place and many other things.

Where I think the strongest evidence for LUCA is would probably be within the genetics and like I said those similarities and differences, and where they line up.

You havn't really given a good explanation for why these things all lineup. Humans have genes for things that make no sense without our ancestors from other apes and such. one of them is a gene for a protein in the muscles of our jaws that would make speaking impossible as we do, but other apes have.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for this. I misunderstood how chimera is used in biology. I just looked it up. I'll need to modify my reply, as I now realize it's not saying what I meant it to say.

yeah what I was going for with Chimera was like if the platypus actually was one.

where it had actual bird eggs, rathe then reptile like egs.
where it had an actual duck bill, rather then a leather like structure similar to a duck bill
where the venom as I pointed out was from the same source as snake venom
and the tail was like an actual beavers.

They look similar, but only artificially. But if it truly had mixes from all these different taxanomic groups that would be a good proof against evolution. We see convergent evolution in the fossil record, but they are like the platypus more analogous to species in their own group rather then traits truly from others.

Archeoraypteryx and such have bird like wing structures and such not mamal or insect.

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
no worries I didn't think you were, I thought at worst you might not know it :> Just wanted to clarify to avoid us talking past each other.

hmmm can't comment on the slopiness, as mentioned before there certainly has been with some things wolf packs, komdo dragon venom and such where someone got an idea and wasn't tested. But I think where science is good is where and when it tests and retests things. Definetly needs to do that more, especialy the older the ideas the more they need to be rechecked.

Sorry if I get you wrong here :> but on the similarities, there are things we can check. Again it's not just where they are similar it's where they are different, and such. Take squid and humans. We can narrow down when our lines diverged by the comperisons of both the fossil record and DNA and such. What genes we share, wich ones we don't. They some of the basic genes for certain things that all multicelular animals do, and I would assume many of those are ones tied to being multicellular, wich would put least them splitting off after multicellular life appeared. If all multicellular animals have similar genes and such that would imply it also.

Again you could use the, "Same designer same design argument." but when something is nearly 1-1.1 comparison it falls down because you will see that while one structure is analogous to another one they arn't the same. Again back to squid and humans, they use some of the same genes, but the paths are different and results are different.

another one is snake venom and platypus venom, they have similar results and effects, but the liniege is different, if I remember right platypus venom evolved from immune system, where as snake is more circulitory and such. So where species arn't closly related from way back when Linnaeus first put it together, with some tweaks like I mentioned where species look related, but are distantly. but we don't find feathers on crocodiles, we don't find other similar chimera or least true ones. The mammals that lay egs are the ones closest to reptiles and such and on, and on.

Problem with ERV's is they only last a short time, they are useful for telling closly related, like they help us with humans and other apes, but once you get back toawards monkeys they start to break down. The issue is since ERV's generally arn't coding, there is no reason for them to be preserved, so the base pairs might change on their own, another ERV might take their place, you get a sequence flip, gene duplication in it's place and many other things.

Where I think the strongest evidence for LUCA is would probably be within the genetics and like I said those similarities and differences, and where they line up.

You havn't really given a good explanation for why these things all lineup. Humans have genes for things that make no sense without our ancestors from other apes and such. one of them is a gene for a protein in the muscles of our jaws that would make speaking impossible as we do, but other apes have.

If I understand your position sufficiently, then I suppose, in the end, my argument would appear to be nothing more than "same designer same design". I don't see it that way, but I suspect it would require a depth in biology I don't have to take it further.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It still has the point of "unrelated parts put together", but as you know, it means "two different genetic entities in one organism."

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So where species arn't closly related from way back when Linnaeus first put it together, with some tweaks like I mentioned where species look related, but are distantly. but we don't find feathers on crocodiles, we don't find other similar chimera or least true ones.
Ironically, since crocodiles, dinosaurs, and birds are all archosaurs, and have scutes...

Scientists turn alligator scales into primitive ‘feathers’

The research suggests the same pathway may have been taken by dinosaurs as they transitioned to birds.

It is not yet certain whether scutes are modified featheres, or if feathers evolved from scutes. But it's one more bit of evidence for the evolution of birds from dinosaurs.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Scientific modeling might be an interesting topic for a thread.
The Hardy-Weinberg model, which is used to detect selective pressure in a population would be a good start. "Hardy" refers to the mathematician G.H. Hardy and Weinberg to biologist Wilhelm Weinberg, Each man came up with the model independently. It's fairly simple, but it can become complicated when multiple alleles are involved, or if epistasis is a factor.

Lotka-Volterra equations model competition between populations. I did some work on it with prey-predator systems. My conclusion was that it was too simplified to be of much use, but not everyone agreed with me.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I understand your position sufficiently, then I suppose, in the end, my argument would appear to be nothing more than "same designer same design". I don't see it that way, but I suspect it would require a depth in biology I don't have to take it further.
well it's one I've heard alot, the idea, well of course apes and humans are 98.8% similar to humans they have the same designer and design. but that ignores things like ERV's and certain genes in similar spots or genes we no longer use.

And no worries, do you have other avenues you want to discuss? :> if it helps I'm not a biologist either, but spent alot of time reading about evolution and listening to creation vs evolution dicussions and seen the responses, papers and things discussing this stuff.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ironically, since crocodiles, dinosaurs, and birds are all archosaurs, and have scutes...

Scientists turn alligator scales into primitive ‘feathers’

The research suggests the same pathway may have been taken by dinosaurs as they transitioned to birds.

It is not yet certain whether scutes are modified featheres, or if feathers evolved from scutes. But it's one more bit of evidence for the evolution of birds from dinosaurs.
yeah, doesn't fur come from the same place, or least a precursor? I remember there was like 3-4 things that end up similarly. it's been a while since I first herad about that so could be remembering wrong hehe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
yeah, doesn't fur come from the same place, or least a precursor? I remember there was like 3-4 things that end up similarly. it's been a while since I first herad about that so could be remembering wrong hehe.
Seems to have come from archosaurs, but weirdly, showed up in pterosaurs long before the therapsid ancestors of mammals. They had several kinds of fur/pinfeathers/whatever.

I don't think thecodonts had scutes, so feathers and fur seem to come from different structures. Some observations about the evidence here:

Given that we don't see evidence of fur in early mammal-like reptiles, I'm thinking that such things evolved independently several times. One support for that is Longisquama insignis a theocodont with what appear to be "sceathers."
iu

It's still not clear what these feather-like things were.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And no worries, do you have other avenues you want to discuss?

Nothing comes to mind. There are things about biology you could say I'm disappointed with, but nothing that rises to any serious level. I suppose there are other sciences, or science in general. I don't know. How about you?

Upvote 0