Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,091,082.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Don't worry about it. God meticulously ordains everything - including your present apathy toward prayer and evangelism. If you feel blah it's because God has ordained that you should. Isn't God's sovereignty marvellous? In Calvinism, everything ends up being His fault.

You might want to check out: www.soteriology101.com
The Lord would never "ordain apathy." He tells us to draw near to Him and He will draw near to us. He tells us to worship Him in spirit and truth, and there is no room for apathy there. He tells us to love Him with all our hearts and souls and minds and resources and does not add "But it's okay to be apathetic about Me sometimes."

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Lord would never "ordain apathy." He tells us to draw near to Him and He will draw near to us. He tells us to worship Him in spirit and truth, and there is no room for apathy there. He tells us to love Him with all our hearts and souls and minds and resources and does not add "But it's okay to be apathetic about Me sometimes."

I was speaking facetiously in the post to which you're replying here. I was pointing out one of the peculiarities of the Calvinist perspective. It is not a perspective to which I hold personally.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,091,082.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I was speaking facetiously in the post to which you're replying here. I was pointing out one of the peculiarities of the Calvinist perspective. It is not a perspective to which I hold personally.
Oh. Thank you so much for explaining that! My apologies. (2nd time today I've had to apologize. :sigh: )

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,267,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Calvinist/Reformed doctrine, like many other doctrinal systematics, is not perfectly monolithic in the degree to which its proponents hold to every doctrine. There are hyper-Calvinists who adhere radically to determinism and there are soft Calvinists who would only adopt two or three of the "petals" of TULIP and embrace, however inconsistently, notions of human responsibility. In general, though, serious Calvinists adopt either deterministic or compatibilistic (soft deterministic) views of human decision-making which creates some serious logical problems for them and contradicts those places in Scripture that indicate human free agency. For many Calvinists, the answer is to claim, not logical inconsistency, but "mystery," which is code, I think, for "our systematic has insuperable problems we don't want to admit are problems."

I don't see that as a weakness, necessarily, given the limitations of human reason. The era of rationalism is long gone philosophically, anyways.

Upvote 0