England
✟22,766.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. For all of my life I have been agnostic. I didn't exactly believe in a God but I was never sure as I felt that the universe was too complex of a place for there to just be nothing. However, recently I felt that God spoke to me. It wasn't an audible voice that I heard but I just got a feeling. An overwhelming feeling of his presence and it really has changed my outlook. I'm looking to gain more knowledge on Christianity so any help and wise words would be appreciated.

Thank you.

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. For all of my life I have been agnostic. I didn't exactly believe in a God but I was never sure as I felt that the universe was too complex of a place for there to just be nothing. However, recently I felt that God spoke to me. It wasn't an audible voice that I heard but I just got a feeling. An overwhelming feeling of his presence and it really has changed my outlook. I'm looking to gain more knowledge on Christianity so any help and wise words would be appreciated.

Thank you.

It sounds like God is reaching out to you to call you into his flock. That is a great honor as it shows He loves you. Welcome to CF :)

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.
Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will get lots of advice and information, and some of it will be confusing. I found CS Lewis’s book Mere Christianity very helpful in sorting out some basic things about Christianity after I had some very real encounters with God.

I pray you find support, encouragement and good advice.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.

Welcome rsj13 and congratulations are in order! I was agnostic before becoming a Christian too. I had a long journey through many of the false religions before arriving at Christianity. Since studying God's Word and learning about the Holy Spirit and how he works through us I'm simply blown away at how little I understood. I used to think that Christianity was this simple picture of people going to church and listening to boring sermons while falling asleep but boy was I wrong. The bible is a living book and the Holy Spirit can speak to us, as you've already experienced! Welcome, and God Bless you!

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was once an agnostic too, it started with a powerful experience for me as well, and I needed that miracle for him to break down my skepticism.

Keep seeking after God, you will be amazed because there is something great in store which is where God will send the Holy Spirit to enter into your body to dwell, it's called being Born Again, and its the New Birth. Once it happens you will never forget it.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome.

The best single advice i can give is to stay far away from the crowd that says we can do as we want as a christian and still make it to heaven. Or that all we have to do is "say" we have faith, no need to prove it by our actions.

I warn you now because once people get that into their minds it's very hard for them to give up. One reason it's so hard to give up is because if it were true it would make things so much easier....and people like easy, the very reason it has been twisted into a theology.

Not that it's that tough to stick with the requirements. I also suggest you never believe in just people...always verify what they claim with the bible. There are some very good and reliable people out there when it comes to teaching the word of God, but there are plenty that aren't. And just because it's a popular belief, doesn't necessarily mean it's the truth, and it often only means it's easier/preferred.

However there are popular beliefs that I think are correct, the reason so many believe them, but they believe them for the right reasons, not out of selfishness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.
That's so wonderful.

You'll want to hear Jesus's own words. :)

Luke or Matthew are best to read first for most people. --
Luke 1 NIV

Upvote 0

Ruien

Aug 11, 2017
Mt Vernon
✟20,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see that the book Mere Christianity has already been recommended to you. I'd like to second this. It begins without assuming anything more than the reality of human existence. It takes that reality seriously, defining terms and drawing logical conclusions, and asks what meaning we can derive from undeniable truths of our own experience.

In my own experience as an agnostic I found Mere Christianity a lot more appealing and compelling than the Bible itself, even the gospels. Why would I put much stock in what seemed like a set of culture-bound mythological tales? Mere Christianity gave me reason to believe that there is something really to believe in. Thank God.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.
Hi rsj13, WELCOME TO CF, but far more importantly, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY OF GOD :) :wave:

Spiritual Boot Camp - this is a 4 part series (free to listen to online here) that was very helpful to me when I was new in Christ. It takes a look at four of the most important spiritual disciplines that we have, 1. How to Study the Bible 2. How to Pray 3. Fellowship 4. Witnessing, and it will give you practical tips about each and help you incorporate them into your daily walk. Some of the stuff I learned 32 years ago from this series I still use today :) (I believe you can scroll down and listen to them online, or click on the quality of download you'd like and download them instead)

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David

1 Thessalonians 5
23 May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

These podcasts/broadcasts (all free to listen to) may prove useful to you as well (they certainly did and still do for me):

Renewing Your Mind - Dr. R. C. Sproul

Grace To You - Dr. John MacArthur

Insight for Living - Dr. Chuck Swindoll

Gateway to Joy - Missionary/Author Elisabeth Elliot

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking to gain more knowledge on Christianity so any help and wise words would be appreciated.
Hi again rsj13, I would like to highly recommend Lewis' Mere Christianity to you too, as well Dr. J I Packer's Knowing God.

Also, finding a local church to be a part of is extremely important, especially for one who is young in the faith.

Finally, here are a couple of sites that may prove useful to you for study. You can read or listen to the Bible in many translations and formats, find commentary, word studies, lexicons, etc. on the word, verse or passage you are studying, and do a number of other things as well.

Bible Gateway passage: John 1:1-3, John 1:14 - New American Standard Bible (Bible Gateway)

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.: Audio (Bible Gateway - Audio Bibles)

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (Bible Hub)

--David

John 3
16 God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

Reactions: rsj13
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rsj13

Feb 24, 2019
England
✟22,766.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi again rsj13, I would like to highly recommend Lewis' Mere Christianity to you too, as well Dr. J I Packer's Knowing God.

Also, finding a local church to be a part of is extremely important, especially for one who is young in the faith.

Finally, here are a couple of sites that may prove useful to you for study. You can read or listen to the Bible in many translations and formats, find commentary, word studies, lexicons, etc. on the word, verse or passage you are studying, and do a number of other things as well.

Bible Gateway passage: John 1:1-3, John 1:14 - New American Standard Bible (Bible Gateway)

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.: Audio (Bible Gateway - Audio Bibles)

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (Bible Hub)

--David

John 3
16 God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

You’ve been so helpful. Thank you very much! God bless you :)

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

pam4him

May 15, 2018
Jacksonville
✟25,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! A good place to start would be the book of John, followed by Romans. Perhaps use the English Standard Version (ESV) or New King James (NKJ). The language is more modern and easier to read and understand. Don't be afraid to use a concordance to help understand certain words or get more info on the people mentioned. This article may offer more insight on where to begin. Prayers for continued growth and wisdom.

Reactions: rsj13
Upvote 0