IV : You shall not Make for yourself a graven image

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyGarnetRose

Frum Reconstructionist (pm me for details)
Nov 18, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
✟16,258.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LGR,

you may also want to look at writings by (I think "On the Divine Images") by St. John of Damascus -- can't find my copy, but it is available online.

I think he cites the OT passages outlining the required decorative aspects in OT worship.

None of which prayers were said in front of to the corresponding person the statue represents. None of which where people genuflected to.

None of which represented God in any of His aspects.

That is what makes an image graven. Not a picture of something as decoration. But a picture, a statue, of God.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is what makes an image graven. Not a picture of something as decoration. But a picture, a statue, of God.

You obviously did NOT read the treatise, but are simple eisegeting based on your prejudice.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

None of which prayers were said in front of to the corresponding person the statue represents. None of which where people genuflected to.

... I'm not certain whether you're responding to the treatise I indicated, or if this is a general question ...

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

I will try to clarify some points:

in the OC we don't have statues

you'll find the clarification on "respect vs. adoration" (I think - long time since I've read the treatise) in the treatise

what you may interpret as "worship" is actually not, but more like a show of "affiliation" -- its easier than writing a signature or making a wax seal (to show assent) on the icon. And they'd get all crudded up too ^_^

kissing is something thats done alot -- family members, friends, Christian brothers and sisters. It just seems weird in a culture where a show of affection with the body is not usual ...

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will try to clarify some points:

in the OC we don't have statues

kissing is something thats done alot -- family members, friends, Christian brothers and sisters. It just seems weird in a culture where a show of affection with the body is not usual ...
I honestly don't see what difference it makes if it is a statue or a painting. It is a representation of God or a person. So, if you venerate paintings I don't know why you would not venerate statues. It seems the same to me. :scratch:

Also, the kissing business - yes, we kiss people, but kissing stuff seems a bit odd to me. Do these cultures that you are talking about regularly kiss other stuff too or just statues and paintings?

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

I honestly don't see what difference it makes if it is a statue or a painting. It is a representation of God or a person. So, if you venerate paintings I don't know why you would not venerate statues. It seems the same to me. :scratch:

Also, the kissing business - yes, we kiss people, but kissing stuff seems a bit odd to me. Do these cultures that you are talking about regularly kiss other stuff too or just statues and paintings?

I can't answer the statue question, because that practice is pretty much limited to the RCC, and I don't belong to the RCC.

The treatise I posted, if I remember, addresses the 2d/3d issue.

Also, we DON"T have icons of God -- the Father or Holy Spirit, because they haven't been "seen" ( incarnated). The icons are of Christ, His Mother and the Saints, "Feast Days" ( like Pentecost, Nativity).

We also kiss the Gospel. again its a show of respect and affiliation.

Ever hear the phrase "seal it with a kiss" ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Thekla

This may be a help too ...

the use of icons help to protect the faithful from heresies ...

They affirm:

that Christ was truly incarnated

that he was born

Also -- by depicting the Saints (and recalling their actual life stories),
icons protect against the (gnostic) notion that Christ was for an "elite, and intellectually superior , few". (Many of our Saints were illiterate).

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

What makes a picture, or money, or a tree idolatry is when people worship the creation rather than the creator.

Iconography is the affirmation of:
1)God as man
2)The Theotokos as the mother of God [see #1]
3) The indwelling of Christ in us [see #1]
4) The history of God's revelation to man concerning Himself [see #1]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

Thekla

I, and many others never needed them to do that.
The Holy Spirit protected us.
this was likely more of an issue when heresies were more "noticeable" -
gnosticism isn't so obvious to us any longer ...

it certainly helped to "check" the parameters of individual spiritual growth -- keep some from going too far. We need to remember, what is not our individual weakness may be our brother's ... the Church needs to provide for us now and in the future, too ...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.